Author Topic: Issue with key post Model M Bolt Mod  (Read 1363 times)

Offline foretshaun

Issue with key post Model M Bolt Mod
« on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 03:53:52 »
Hi!

Got myself a Model M from -90 for a couple of weeks ago. Did the bolt mod this weekend(going to post pics etc in the future).

It went great, pretty time consuming but totally worth it.

As this is my new daily driver, I took it to work this morning and started using it. Fantastic.
However, an issue arose pretty quickly. The issue is with the number 2 key on the numpad.

All other keys, including those around the 2-key register when the spring collapses, as it should be. But the 2-key registers a press before the spring collapses. Pretty much just by pressing the key a few millimeters. It feels just like the other keys, the hammer moves "freely" and upon inspection it looks, moves and feels just like the other keys. But it still registers keypresses before the spring collapses.

What could be the issue here? Could it be the rubber mat? It would make more sense if one or two keys surrounding the key behaved the same way. But they don't, all other keys work as they should.

Has anyone had this issue before?

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: Issue with key post Model M Bolt Mod
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 07:01:17 »
I'd guess the pivot plate (flipper) isn't seated correctly.  Might take a toothpick/similar and see if it has any wiggle and if you can get it into the notches correctly.

Next thing I'd suspect is debris under it or the contact that's causing early press.  Might just want to give the keyboard a good whack on the side and see if it clears up.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 07:37:19 »
Might just want to give the keyboard a good whack on the side and see if it clears up.

Just like old Zenith tvs when they would change colors, and my dad's old Caprice Classic, for which he literally used to keep a huge hammer in the trunk of for ... percussive maintenance.

Good old American engineering.

Offline foretshaun

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 14:12:52 »
I'd guess the pivot plate (flipper) isn't seated correctly.  Might take a toothpick/similar and see if it has any wiggle and if you can get it into the notches correctly.

Next thing I'd suspect is debris under it or the contact that's causing early press.  Might just want to give the keyboard a good whack on the side and see if it clears up.

The pivot plate was loose and just like the other pivot plates. I also tried the good whack on the side- to no success.
However! You were right about the debris. I took apart the membrane assembly and found a tiny piece of plastic by the 2-key, most likely a piece from the drilling. Removed it, put the thing back together and now it works great again! Thank you!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 09:53:51 »

The pivot plate was loose and just like the other pivot plates. I also tried the good whack on the side- to no success.
However! You were right about the debris. I took apart the membrane assembly and found a tiny piece of plastic by the 2-key, most likely a piece from the drilling. Removed it, put the thing back together and now it works great again! Thank you!

:thumb:
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets