Author Topic: New here need a little help :D  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Uleet

New here need a little help :D
« on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 08:59:55 »
Hey everyone. I've been in the market for a good keyboard and have been doing research for a while now. I came up on your site today and you guys have so many informative posts and it's been helping me out a lot. Now I was going to buy the SteelSeries 7G Keyboard but could not find one so I gave up. Now that I learned that Cherry Blue switches is what I want I also looked at the Das Keyboard. But there is just too much going on there and I'm a simple man. I saw some keyboards on here that I really liked but don't know what they are called or where to buy them. Some of these all black keyboards really caught my eye and I also would love to change the keys around to purple or some cool colors. Can anyone guide me :D. Thank you guys for being awesome and helping me find my new passion for keyboards.

Offline bugfix

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 09:08:36 »
Hi,

I can personally recommend the DAS, at least if you don't mind the glossy finish.

If you're looking for alternative keycaps, the group buy section is always a good place to look. elitekeyboards.com and keyboardco.com also carry some colored keycaps.
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline Uleet

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 09:14:50 »
Will all those fit the das? I mean the glossy keyboard is kind of a turn off I like flat black.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 09:19:42 »
If you like flat black, look at the Filco Majestouch. I think there's even one for sale here in the classifieds.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline audioave10

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 09:29:36 »
and while we're at it...Welcome!
check - Elitekeyboards.com
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline Uleet

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 09:38:46 »
Thanks guys for all the help I'm looking. And of course the keyboard that i fall in love with is this Filco Otaku... and by the looks of it it's impossible to find.

Offline Uleet

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 09:43:49 »
So it looks like the Das is the way to go for now. Do you guys know if I can change the keys in the Das to any colored keycaps?

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 09:46:49 »
I believe Filco and Cherry board-fitting keycaps should mostly fit fine.

Offline Uleet

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 10:42:33 »
:D you guys are amazing I'm trying to find purple keys and such but i see you guys have group buys i want to jump in on them.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 11:40:50 »
If you like the Otaku look, the Das keyboard is probably the easiest to purchase at a reasonable price.  From a feel perspective, the Das nearly mirrors the Filco for both browns and blues.

At a $130, the price tag is roughly in the same price range as Filcos, but they are more readily distributed in the US (assuming that's where you're from).  The glossy cover can be annoying sometimes, but if you've got OCD like me, I wouldn't mind cleaning that thing forever.

Here's a couple useful links:
1.  Wiki buying guide
2.  Classifieds Section - Filco Blues 104 NIB $120 + Shipping
3.  Colored Keycaps for Das/Filco/Ducky from Elitekeyboards.com / (Alt: Keyboardco | Das Green Caps)
4.  Das "Otaku" with Cherry Blues
5.  Filco's on Armygroup

Alternatively, if you like the Das and Filco, the Ducky keyboards might interest you as well.  Check out PCHome's selection of Ducky 'boards if you don't mind buying from Taiwan.  (PCHome's buying guide)
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 February 2011, 12:12:39 by DanGWanG »

Offline theferenc

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 11:43:53 »
Dan, I thought Cobra's Filco had blue switches (link 2). Not sure what color the actual keyboard is, but I assumed black, as the OP wanted.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 12:13:08 »
You right, you right.  Fixed my post, thanks for pointing that out

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 12:17:43 »
You should check out the rosewill rk-9000 too. Nicer finish and similar construction as Filco.

Offline Uleet

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 06:03:59 »
You guys are some of the nicest people I have ever met on a forum. I took all your advice and decided to go with the Das Keyboard I just ordered mine about 20 mins ago I also ordered the WASD keys even though they are green I think the red escape key and the key puller where worth it. I would love to buy some purple blank keys but the Keyboard Company place confuses the hell out of me. Wish there where a good supplier of keybaords and keys in the states. With all your knowledge I'm sure you guys could run a business.

Offline bugfix

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 06:11:59 »
elitekeyboards has purple WASD. Or were you looking for a complete set of purple keys?
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline Uleet

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 06:17:58 »
blank wasd those are ok that is like a lavender. MANLY PURPLE...lol

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 09:47:16 »
If you're looking for straight purple, you'll want to reach out to that group buy thread started by imsto.

You won't be able to just get the WASD cluster, so you'll likely need to order (if it's not too late already) the following:  1 Black on Purple PBT 37 or 1 Blank Purple PBT 37.  This will give you all the main keys a-z, pipe comma etc and arrows.

Offline manfaux

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 10:20:12 »
Quote from: Uleet;296001
blank wasd those are ok that is like a lavender. MANLY PURPLE...lol

if you want cherry blues, check out the Rosewill RK-9000, better pick than the Das!

Offline Reaif

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 10:26:26 »
One thing I really like about the Das is the usb hub. I have an older mini logitech mouse (best mouse I have ever used in my opinion) and it has a short cable, so being able to plug into the keyboard is a real plus.
Currently own:
Das S Ultimate with Browns
Cherry G84-4100 with ML Linear switches
Memorex Telex with NMB Space Invaders
Leopold with Blues

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 10:30:29 »
I agree. The RK-9000 is a great keyboard. I'ts almost under-popular I think. It also looks better than the DAS and a normal full sized filco imo. the red backplate is awesome.

It has a nice price tag too. You can get it from newegg for $100 and the shipping will be fast.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 10:31:05 »
At full price, I agree that the Rosewill is a better choice than the Das, but with student discount, the Das is actually less expensive. And it is a very solid keyboard.

I would actually say it's one of the most well built, from top to bottom, of any of the full size keyboards out there.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 12:00:25 »
Sure, if you can catch it on sale. It hasn't been on sale since before Christmas, though. So I guess it depends on how long the OP wants to wait.

And given that he's already purchased a Das, it really doesn't matter, does it?