Author Topic: Making a switch out of a Cherry switch  (Read 3920 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Making a switch out of a Cherry switch
« on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 21:39:39 »
While taking apart my old computer I noticed it was really dirty and started cleaning everything.

Then I started wanting to get rid of the old Power button.

And I started dreaming of turning the power button into a Cherry MX switch using a gray spring.

OK, how should I go about build a normal electrical switch out of a Cherry MX switch?

While we're at it, I don't mind building more similar switches and using them to replace other switches in my house. I'm thinking that if I use two/four gray springs, two/four brown stems and a Tipro 2x key or 4x key, that would make for a very attractive button for my lights or electricity switch.

Please assume that I don't want this to be an expensive project. I can invest in a breadboard, or I can buy diodes, stuff that costs a couple bucks per switch is fine. But please don't suggest that I use a teensy just to convert my computer's power button to a Cherry MX switch!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Making a switch out of a Cherry switch
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:17:14 »
At least for the power and reset switches you can just wire the leads from the motherboard headers right to the switch.  Stock power and reset switches are momentary normally open style, the same as cherry and alps switches.  They are just completing a small circuit.  I am going to be doing the same with my custom board project.

As far as using them for other stuff around the house you will want to look at Cherry's spec sheet, because they are not rated for switching very much power.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:25:19 »
Once upon a time, a company made a mediocre switch and named it after a popular fruit...

And the masses now worship it as idol.

Offline acolombo

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:27:39 »
That's a very nice idea (the computer part, I don't know if I'd like to have them all around the house) and also a simple mod, I think I'm going to mod my old computer case and make an hole on the top, I only need a spare switch.
The electronical part is really easy, you just have to solder the old power button wires to the new one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:41:44 »
Once upon a time, a company made a mediocre switch and named it after a popular fruit...

What kind of fruit is a Thorpe?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:30:08 »

The company itself is called "cherry", the switch's name is " MX-**** "
and I do agree, after they quit using other people's switches in the late 1970's, Cherry's switches they invented themselves (m6/m7/m8/m11/etc) are terrible.

---
@OP: When replacing switches here is wha tyou need to know:

The "type of switch" that it is. Now computers use momentary switches, so you can turn them on with just about anything. Something like a toggle switch is (usually) latching. You could use it but it'd sorta-hard to use. Like using an MX lock switch: not ideal at all. Fortunately cherry switches are also momentary, so if you find a place to mount it (like if you have a switch keychain or something) then it's just a drop-in. Wire it up and you're good to go.

The other thing you have to watch out for is the number of poles and throws a switch has. A comptuer power switch is a SPST (single pole single throw) so it's just about perfect. If you wanted to use a toggle switch, a DPST on-off-mom would also work (single pole toggle switches are less common, but a SPST off-mom would work too) THis is just an example.

So cherry switch, arcade button, etc. The sky's the limit! I once wired up a vintage swingline model 13 stapler from the 1930's and used that.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 01:56:21 »

and I do agree, after they quit using other people's switches in the late 1970's, Cherry's switches they invented themselves (m6/m7/m8/m11/etc) are terrible.

---
@OP: When replacing switches here is wha tyou need to know:

The "type of switch" that it is. Now computers use momentary switches, so you can turn them on with just about anything. Something like a toggle switch is (usually) latching. You could use it but it'd sorta-hard to use. Like using an MX lock switch: not ideal at all. Fortunately cherry switches are also momentary, so if you find a place to mount it (like if you have a switch keychain or something) then it's just a drop-in. Wire it up and you're good to go.

The other thing you have to watch out for is the number of poles and throws a switch has. A comptuer power switch is a SPST (single pole single throw) so it's just about perfect. If you wanted to use a toggle switch, a DPST on-off-mom would also work (single pole toggle switches are less common, but a SPST off-mom would work too) THis is just an example.

So cherry switch, arcade button, etc. The sky's the limit! I once wired up a vintage swingline model 13 stapler from the 1930's and used that.

I don't understand 90% of what you said above, but that's ok. I have too many projects now. But will keep this in mind, and when I have time I will definitely start researching all the keywords you gave above.

For an ignorant person like me the most important thing is to have the keywords. Once I know what to search for under wikipedia or Tom's Hardware (feel free to suggest other sources of hardware info), when I have time I can research everything at leisure. For instance I wasn't aware of the concept 'single pole single throw'. But now that I know thanks to you, I am able to attack this problem more effectively!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 03:59:21 »

What kind of fruit is a Thorpe?

71804-0

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:06:05 »

---
@OP: When replacing switches here is what you need to know:

I don't understand 90% of what you said above, but that's ok. I have too many projects now. But will keep this in mind, and when I have time I will definitely start researching all the keywords you gave above.

For an ignorant person like me the most important thing is to have the keywords. Once I know what to search for under wikipedia or Tom's Hardware (feel free to suggest other sources of hardware info), when I have time I can research everything at leisure. For instance I wasn't aware of the concept 'single pole single throw'. But now that I know thanks to you, I am able to attack this problem more effectively!

read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch#Contact_terminology

Just that one section is most of what you need.

A PC needs a momentary connection to turn on. You can use a screwdriver to do this, but a switch is more common.

A momentary switch is only "on" for as long as you hold it. A toggle switch or rocker switch would not work.

Cherry switches are momentary just like a normal PC power switch, so they'll work just as you'd expect. A latching cherry switch would not work however.

That seems to be a better overview. :)

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:10:05 »
They'd work... you'd just have to press them twice. Now that would be something.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 21:26:44 »
They'd work... you'd just have to press them twice. Now that would be something.

The question is: can you actuate them rapidly enough to not cause unwanted behaviour? I know that on at least one of my computers I'd have issues.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:25:19 »

The question is: can you actuate them rapidly enough to not cause unwanted behaviour? I know that on at least one of my computers I'd have issues.

On any modern hardware it wouldn't make a difference unless you keep it "on" for more than 10 seconds at a shot.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich