Author Topic: iGrip-Great or crap?  (Read 16361 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 13:20:36 »
On 2 of the 3 AG-5 units I have (one is packed) the H and R keys are the hardest 2 keys on the units. I had not particularly noticed that as much before. When I have been typing (sloooowlyyyy) my index finger has been directly on the key, so it was not very pronounced. If you hit the key a little off center, it becomes very noticeable.

I'd lik e to have a website called EVERYTHINGALPHAGRIP.COM  :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Input Nirvana

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 13:28:37 »
As far as for being bigger, for me, the two handle grip parts could have a slightly larger diameter, and the angle of the two grips could have more angle.

I am going to do a wireless mod, and I may try to address the size issue as well, I don't  know at this point.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline appie747

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 10:18:54 »
l'm now at 80 characters per minute. That's after a few days. Occasionally looking at the AG5, mostly touch typing.
Kinesis Freestyle Incline (work), Compaq MX 11800 (browns), AlphaGrip AG-5 FOR SALE! (home)

Offline Input Nirvana

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 20 May 2011, 19:24:01 »
A-
How does it feel to you now, does it seem intuitive and that youre just going to keep improving, or that you need to really work hard at it? I'm curious to know a new-user perspective. Obviously, I have a lot of interest in this type of unit. I already know these are comfortable to use...it's the typing aspect I'm interested in.

Offline appie747

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 21 May 2011, 02:59:59 »
Hi,

The typing is still improving, now at 95 cpm. With Stamina software so I don't have to correct mistakes. I do sometimes struggle with the way to hold the AG5. I'm find myself tilting it back and forth. The rockers at the back can be reached in a good way. But the keys at the front are alle used with the thumbs and then you have to reach quite a bit with your thumbs. That slows you down. While typing I'm tilting the AG5 the reach the keys with my thumb.

I think there can be improvements, but maybe there are physical limitations to design this thing....

Anyway, i'm not ready to give up typing with it yet.
Kinesis Freestyle Incline (work), Compaq MX 11800 (browns), AlphaGrip AG-5 FOR SALE! (home)

Offline Input Nirvana

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 21 May 2011, 19:25:34 »
My physical mod thought:

Cut the Alphagrip exactly in half. Insert a lockable joint in between the 2 halves (that also spread the unit a 2-3 inches apart. The joint moves in the direction of changing the angle of the 2 "wings", and maybe rotate as well. This may help with some of the reaching of thumbs/fingers. I will have time to look for the joint in a couple weeks, then I can lay it out.

Offline appie747

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 22 May 2011, 16:26:01 »
Quote from: input nirvana;349623
My physical mod thought:

Cut the Alphagrip exactly in half. Insert a lockable joint in between the 2 halves (that also spread the unit a 2-3 inches apart. The joint moves in the direction of changing the angle of the 2 "wings", and maybe rotate as well. This may help with some of the reaching of thumbs/fingers. I will have time to look for the joint in a couple weeks, then I can lay it out.

Wow, that mod should be great! By the way isn't AlphaGrip coming with a new model?

Offline Input Nirvana

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 23 May 2011, 00:27:00 »
I've laid it out in my head, and I've seen the internals...so I'm sure it's actually going to work. I still have to lay out the parts, so I'm pretty excited about it.

Mike said they are fine tuning one last item on the new prototype, and that it should be out soon.

Offline hoggy

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 00:56:57 »
Just got an email stating that the new batch has arrived.  It's been a long time coming.

"The new optical trackball works well and, based on my experience with the
sample units I've been testing over the last few months, the trackball should
become even more responsive as it gets broken-in."
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline appie747

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 07:04:21 »
Quote from: hoggy;350587
Just got an email stating that the new batch has arrived.  It's been a long time coming.

Did they just change the trackball? Did they change anything else??

Offline Input Nirvana

Offline Input Nirvana

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 11:51:37 »
Quote from: appie747;350648
Did they just change the trackball? Did they change anything else??

I think it's only the trackball that became optical. If I find out differently, I'll post.

Offline appie747

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 10:22:28 »
110 cpm on typeracer.com! with Dvorak typing I'm at 300 cpm (on average) so still a long way to go...but I'm happy with the progress...

Offline Mazora

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 10:27:36 »
It's ugly though.
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline appie747

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 12:21:16 »
Quote from: Mazora;352032
It's ugly though.
That's allright, you're not supposed to look at it!  But I see you're into traditional keyboards. It's a long way from those...

To me the AG looks great, by the way.

Offline Input Nirvana

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 12:59:34 »
Form options for the Alphagrip design team on the next version:
1) bright orange
2) totally clear case/buttons with flashing leds
3) 4" tall anatomically correct naked Barbi mounted standing on the top as you're using it saying "You press my buttons baby!" every 10 mins

They could make it a bit more interesting....

Offline appie747

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 03:18:18 »
A comment about 'wireless' : Why should it be? How far are you going to walk away with it? Same with wireless keyboards and mice, they're always at the same place. A wireless home phone makes sense because you walk around with that. What's next, a wireless bigscreen tv?

As a keyboard player I looked into wireless midi transmission a while back. To walk on stage like a guitarist. Wireless makes sense there, not tripping over cables.

A great advantage of 'wired' : they don't get lost!

This post typed with the AG-5 (5m cable). Top speed: 140 cpm in Dutch, 20 wpm in English. Reaching half my keyboard typing speed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2011, 03:25:43 by appie747 »

Offline Input Nirvana

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 13:37:57 »
For me, wireless keyboards don't seem to have any value. The Alphagrip is something you can literally lean back, have in your lap, move a bit, etc. I see how a wireless version could be more convenient, though not totally necessary.

Offline appie747

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 15:52:33 »
Quote from: input nirvana;358567
The Alphagrip is something you can literally lean back, have in your lap, move a bit, etc. I see how a wireless version could be more convenient, though not totally necessary.

True, but you'll probably be thinking: Mmmmhh, where the hell did I put it....  There should be a button on a tv to help you find the remote, like on the 'base' of a wireless home phone. The wireless Alphagrip should have that too!

Are there any tv's with that feature, by the way?

Offline Input Nirvana

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 01:53:59 »
I thought I heard of a tv that had a "find the remote" button half a dozen years ago. I laughed. Then I lost a remote and stopped laughing.

Offline Input Nirvana

iGrip-Great or crap?
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 12:29:51 »
Just came across this pic, don't know anything about it, obviously a one-off, there are so many ways to skin the cat...but obviously when Alphagrip made the AG-5, they did it RIGHT...

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19067[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 June 2011, 12:31:52 by input nirvana »