Author Topic: [IC] NovelPro - A New Keycap Profile from NovelKeys  (Read 97956 times)

Offline forstsiven

Re: [IC] New Keycap Profile from NovelKeys
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:28:00 »

Render looks great!

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:38:57 »
Love seeing the progression. Make sure to take pics of the board at keycon for those of us unable to make it.

Offline Corgiattackkk

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 16:53:10 »
The render looks fantastic! Can't wait to see more updates as time goes by. Also, count me interested for the blanks idea too.

Offline meepmeep

• meep meep meep, meep meep meep. Meep!
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 17:07:43 »
The render looks fantastic! Can't wait to see more updates as time goes by. Also, count me interested for the blanks idea too.

Me too!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #204 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 13:34:51 »
New update! I have been typing on the 3D printed profile for a couple days now. I am really enjoying it. Here are a couple pictures. Please note that these are 3D printed, so some of the keycaps dont fit just perfectly.

Next steps.

I am currently working through what keycaps and legends are needed to have maximum compatibility. Once I get the total number of keys and legends, I will be able to move a little quicker with things. No real ETA, but if everything goes smoothly, I think I should have keycaps within a years time.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 13:40:39 »
New update! I have been typing on the 3D printed profile for a couple days now. I am really enjoying it. Here are a couple pictures. Please note that these are 3D printed, so some of the keycaps dont fit just perfectly.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Next steps.

I am currently working through what keycaps and legends are needed to have maximum compatibility. Once I get the total number of keys and legends, I will be able to move a little quicker with things. No real ETA, but if everything goes smoothly, I think I should have keycaps within a years time.
approved :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 13:46:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Next steps.

Simple.  :thumb:

Offline zslane

« Reply #207 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 13:50:37 »
Looks good!

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 14:32:54 »
Outstanding progress!  :thumb:

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 15:39:59 »
Looks great! Any chance for a r0?
I recently got a 75% ( I think... it's a Drevo Gramr) and I love it except for the num and f-key row height similarity. :)

Offline bciamny

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 15:53:54 »
how aggressive does the scooping feel compared to sp sa? and if any comparison to the scooping on topre hi-pro?

Offline Corgiattackkk

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 17:52:31 »
The new profile looks so noice!  :thumb:

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 17:53:40 »
Looks good!
Thank you!

Outstanding progress!  :thumb:
I appreciate that. Its coming along pretty well. :)

Looks great! Any chance for a r0?
I recently got a 75% ( I think... it's a Drevo Gramr) and I love it except for the num and f-key row height similarity. :)

Most likely not. The top two rows will be the same.

how aggressive does the scooping feel compared to sp sa? and if any comparison to the scooping on topre hi-pro?

Its like SA crossed between HiPro.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 18:15:49 »
What keyboard is that? It looks about the same angle as my Jane.

SA was far too painful to use on my Jane, which gets a little high as it is. This profile looks like it may be much more comfortable.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 18:58:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Next steps.

Oh man does that look nice! Sculpted SA is my fav profile as it stands, but I do not like using it with high angled boards. This looks like it would work great with high angled boards & have that sculpted SA type of feel. Are you bringing a set to Keycon?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #215 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 07:59:09 »

SA was far too painful to use on my Jane, which gets a little high as it is. This profile looks like it may be much more comfortable.

Its a Norbatouch! :)

Oh man does that look nice! Sculpted SA is my fav profile as it stands, but I do not like using it with high angled boards. This looks like it would work great with high angled boards & have that sculpted SA type of feel. Are you bringing a set to Keycon?

I will be bringing this to Keycon for sure.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #216 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 12:10:34 »
R4 is the same mold as R2, just turned upside down – right?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #217 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 13:18:10 »

That’s correct.

We are labeling the rows as A, B, C, and D. So a normal layout would be AABCDC. B and D are just mirrored.

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #218 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 13:21:01 »
wow i cant wait for this. will there be any unique colour mods or are you just gonna focus on the profile of the keycaps?
also when can we expect this to be out?

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #219 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 13:55:19 »

Its a Norbatouch! :)

I will be bringing this to Keycon for sure.

Awesome! Look forward to seeing you there & hopefully getting to try this profile for myself, thanks for the reply! :thumb:

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #220 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 14:19:32 »
wow i cant wait for this. will there be any unique colour mods or are you just gonna focus on the profile of the keycaps?
also when can we expect this to be out?

For now I’m just focusing on the profile and the kits. My first set will definitely be more of a mild colorway. But down the road I definitely want to work with some designers.

No real ETA on the keycaps. If everything goes smoothly, probably within a year. But thats just a guess for now.

Thanks!

Offline Raqem

« Reply #221 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 16:00:09 »

That’s correct.

We are labeling the rows as A, B, C, and D. So a normal layout would be AABCDC. B and D are just mirrored.

Or... get this... the layout is: aabcdc, and b and d are just mirrored.

Get it?

I'll show myself out now.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #222 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 16:38:25 »
I'd like to see some competition in cherry profile. All other profiles, from a commercial standpoint, are a miserable failure. How many SA makers are there? Probably 3.
How many high quality OEM brands are there? None?!
Go with cherry, and after we've been able to make you earn something, feel free to experiment.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 16:43:09 »
Whatever road you'll choose, please give us some ISO!

Offline Snappo

• meme
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 07:48:47 »
Cant wait for Novelpro. Fully for this.  :thumb:

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 06:07:24 »
I'd like to see some competition in cherry profile. All other profiles, from a commercial standpoint, are a miserable failure. How many SA makers are there? Probably 3.
Go with cherry, and after we've been able to make you earn something, feel free to experiment.

I am pretty happy with the way my profile is turning out, and the way it feels to type on it. So I wont be changing that up. As for ISO, I am unsure at this time if it will be included at first. It all depends on the what the total costs are going to be on my end.

Thanks!

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #226 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 07:09:02 »
I think you would make a lot more money as a business venture if you could invest upfront in doubleshot PBT machining and chemistry. Success would mean knocking GMK and SA off their pedistal, especially if you could get the texture options to enable keyfeel to mimic smooth ABS or the chalkier feel of PBT with the same profile. The Koreans have established that doubleshot PBT can produce colors just as vibrant as ABS. It could be the profile to end all profiles. Otherwise what niche is this profile competeing in? Lower cost spherical? Taking advantage of SA's limited capacity? I think Maxkeys is already cornering that market and you can't compete with the Chinese on price unless you build a complete automation factory to minimize labor costs.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 July 2018, 07:12:19 by Wetherbee »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #227 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 11:20:14 »

I am pretty happy with the way my profile is turning out, and the way it feels to type on it. So I wont be changing that up. As for ISO, I am unsure at this time if it will be included at first. It all depends on the what the total costs are going to be on my end.

Thanks!

The fact that you didn't choose the cherry or the OEM profile means that you're not competitive in the pricing and in the quality. It's the same thing that happened with that brand that was offering keycaps in cherry profile. The price was comparable with GMK but the consistency was way lower. Have fun.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 July 2018, 11:22:00 by Giorgio »

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 11:48:58 »

The fact that you didn't choose the cherry or the OEM profile means that you're not competitive in the pricing and in the quality. It's the same thing that happened with that brand that was offering keycaps in cherry profile. The price was comparable with GMK but the consistency was way lower. Have fun.

You’re making assumptions on your own opinions. No facts.

I didn’t want to be a clone of another profile.

In terms of pricing, that isn’t worked out yet. In terms of quality, I will only have the best. There would be zero incentive for me to make this without having the quality.

Hope that helps clarify.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #229 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 23:20:11 »
You seem to be operating under the assumption that Cherry profile is the end all be all of keycap profiles and the only reason anyone would not make Cherry profile keycaps is because they "can't be competitive".  Fortunately I think most of us here to not hold onto such a ridiculous assumption.

Here is a hypothetical situation.  People here spend a lot of time and effort discussing keyboard layouts.  Now imagine that somebody were to post an interest check for a keyboard with a totally new layout and then somebody else responded saying they should just make an ANSI TKL board and anyone who doesn't make ANSI TKLs only does so because they couldn't compete in the ANSI TKL market.  Such a person would be laughed right out of the forums.  And rightfully so because that is a baseless and crazy claim.

That is exactly what you're doing.  Just exchange layout for keycap profile.

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 01:28:53 »
Looking forward to what you come up with Mike. Happy to continue to support your endeavors ;D

Offline dsaf

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 03:40:59 »
It would be interesting to see a photo comparison to SA and MT3. Might jump on it if it has ISO and the pilot set is not something boring like Honeywell. Although having participated in blurry and misprinted MT3 R1 it is a good idea to skip first two/three runs.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 04:55:04 »
I've tidied up this thread, please keep discussion to what you would like to see in a NEW profile as that is what this IC is for - clones are not new so are off topic.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 12:35:11 »
When Spectreiil was involved there was discussion of a convex bottom row. Is that still part of the plan?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #234 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 16:22:09 »
I think you would make a lot more money as a business venture if you could invest upfront in doubleshot PBT machining and chemistry. Success would mean knocking GMK and SA off their pedistal, especially if you could get the texture options to enable keyfeel to mimic smooth ABS or the chalkier feel of PBT with the same profile. The Koreans have established that doubleshot PBT can produce colors just as vibrant as ABS. It could be the profile to end all profiles. Otherwise what niche is this profile competeing in? Lower cost spherical? Taking advantage of SA's limited capacity? I think Maxkeys is already cornering that market and you can't compete with the Chinese on price unless you build a complete automation factory to minimize labor costs.

Possibly PBT, but only if everyone involved (tooling company, manu, and me) knows that it will work without sacrificing quality.

When Spectreiil was involved there was discussion of a convex bottom row. Is that still part of the plan?

No, that is not part of the plan right now.

Offline Kisuli

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 11:46:48 »
definely getting a set if there is going to be blanks. Other than that great looking profile, excited to follow its journey!

Offline ray160

« Reply #236 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 16:46:19 »
A little concerned about the jump from row 3 to 4.

Offline stolenweapon

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 03:45:14 »
will buy when released!
OTD 356CL Black | 2x OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356.2 Factory Gray Ano 1/2 | 2x OTD 356.2 Blue Grey | 2x OTD 356mini Military Green | 5x OTD 356mini Red | OTD 356mini Black | 9x OTD 360C Apple Silver | 2x OTD 360C Hyper Grey | OTD 356L | 2x OTD 356N MKII Black | OTD 456GT Pink & Black | 3x OTD 356 Pad (2x Black, 1x Military Green) | 2x OTD Koala WKL Silver & Black | OTD Koala WK Silver & Black

TGR Jane V2 Pink Prototype 1/1 | TGR Jane V2 1/2 Brushed Toblerone Weight | 8x TGR Jane V2 | 6x TGR Jane CE V2 | TGR 910RE | TGR 910 VKC | TGR Alice Purple 1/5 | TGR Alice Red | TGR-03 | TGR Tris

LZ-SE | 3x LZ-RE | LZ-CP | LZ-MP SE

Keycult No.2 Stainless Steel | 2x KMAC Happy | 2x DK Saver MX & Alps

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 06:13:09 »
All the actual keycap files are done. This will allow me to get an even closer estimate for my costs. The work has begun for getting the files made up for the legends. We are making progress, but it is a slow process sometimes.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #239 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 17:31:36 »
https://i.imgur.com/OmH9uMr.png

Not finalized font (pretty close though), but this was exciting to get to see.

Offline Starius

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 17:39:37 »
https://i.imgur.com/OmH9uMr.png

Not finalized font (pretty close though), but this was exciting to get to see.

Very interesting!
Have you announced what sort of "theme" or vibe you're going with for this keycap set yet?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #241 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 19:19:17 »
Very interesting!
Have you announced what sort of "theme" or vibe you're going with for this keycap set yet?

My main inspiration was Topre HiPro mixed with SA. So thats basically what I am aiming for in terms of the profile and legends.

Offline Starius

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 20:24:32 »
Very interesting!

My main inspiration was Topre HiPro mixed with SA. So thats basically what I am aiming for in terms of the profile and legends.

Hmmm, I guess I'll have to see what you come up with for color schemes.... but based on that description, I'm thinking it might be the kind of keycap set I'd want to throw on the S7 Elephant when it comes out!

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 21:51:05 »
Looks awesome! Great job!

It is so unfortunate that Colemak is out of the plan though :(

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 17:20:26 »
We have been working on the legends, and put together a quick render.

Please note that this is a WIP. Lots will be changed, this is more to get an idea of what the font looks like.

Confirmed changes - Alphas will be smaller. Anyways, just trying to keep everyone updated on this. It is still moving forward. :)

Again, this is is really just to get an idea of the font that we are using.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 17:22:22 »
We have been working on the legends, and put together a quick render.

Please note that this is a WIP. Lots will be changed, this is more to get an idea of what the font looks like.

Confirmed changes - Alphas will be smaller. Anyways, just trying to keep everyone updated on this. It is still moving forward. :)

Again, this is is really just to get an idea of the font that we are using.

Show Image

Looking good, can't wait for more updates!

Offline Rogue_Jellybean

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 18:13:02 »
Font looks good! And as you said, only thing is smaller alphas.

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #247 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 15:20:22 »
This is looking great! Can't wait for more updates and crossing my fingers for pbt

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 15:39:53 »
Yeah, I mean if the alphas look as big and derpy as that it's a no-buy from me.  But the font itself is fine.  Not in love with the "J" but everything else seems okay.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 September 2018, 15:48:55 by pixelpusher »

Offline Rogue_Jellybean

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 18:23:31 »
Yeah, I mean if the alphas look as big and derpy as that it's a no-buy from me.  But the font itself is fine.  Not in love with the "J" but everything else seems okay.

He said that the alphas will be smaller.