Author Topic: [IC] hbcp - hineybush compact  (Read 145115 times)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
Re: [IC] Hineybush Compact 1800 (HBCP)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 09:12:26 »
idk, like 18-19mm

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 16:28:49 »

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 17:00:43 »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 18:19:44 »
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 20:41:58 »
ok real pic time

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 21:14:37 »
 :eek: :eek: i need this

Offline rondg

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 02:58:42 »
That blue looks sooo good!!!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 02:59:38 »
That blue looks sooo good!!!

you'll never see it again since I'm not using the proto factory for the gb (as of now at least)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rondg

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 04:02:31 »
My dreams crushed just like that!  :(
But I'm still in.  ;D

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 16:08:27 »
Man, those colors are seriously nice.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 20:43:57 »

hey just like the renders

Offline portbaron

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 20:46:38 »
Lets roll.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 07:21:36 »
This is the layout we need! I'd buy. Any numbers on weight?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 08:07:43 »
This is the layout we need! I'd buy. Any numbers on weight?

About 6 lbs unbuilt

Offline sythie

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 11:02:15 »
I think it'd be fun to get quotes for a magnesium alloy case and tungsten plate/weight too for the hell of it.
Any news about this yet?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 11:04:05 »
I think it'd be fun to get quotes for a magnesium alloy case and tungsten plate/weight too for the hell of it.
Any news about this yet?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Offline sythie

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 03:10:30 »
Any news about this yet?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Damn, I had hoped for a maximum of $$$$

Offline gabetjh

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 00:24:28 »
im in

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 13:17:42 »
Why didn't you put LEDs in the same place as Leopold FC980? They perfected 1800 layout to the point I can't see how any further improvement wouldn't be possible. Your keyboard seems like a step behind. I mean, it's not a deal breaker, but it would be better in my opinion.

The thing is, if you move LEDs to the right, you can stretch the F row more to the right, which is on one hand more aesthetically pleasing, and on the other hand a little bit more functional because it makes it easier to recognize which F key you need to press (which is something Kira keyboard got completely wrong).

Also, while we're at it, do we really need three LEDs?
I mean, when you think about it, the only really functional LED is Caps Lock. Scroll Lock is obsolete from like 1975, and Num Lock is not really necessary because if I didn't want to have it ON, I would buy TKL. So it makes sense to have it ON all the time.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 13:22:23 »
Why didn't you put LEDs in the same place as Leopold FC980? They perfected 1800 layout to the point I can't see how any further improvement wouldn't be possible. Your keyboard seems like a step behind. I mean, it's not a deal breaker, but it would be better in my opinion.

The thing is, if you move LEDs to the right, you can stretch the F row more to the right, which is on one hand more aesthetically pleasing, and on the other hand a little bit more functional because it makes it easier to recognize which F key you need to press (which is something Kira keyboard got completely wrong).

I mean, when you think about it, the only really functional LED is Caps Lock. Scroll Lock is obsolete from like 1975, and Num Lock is not really necessary because if I didn't want to have it ON, I would buy TKL. So it makes sense to have it ON all the time.

i like it this way

Offline dario

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 13:28:33 »
i like it this way

Alright. Any chance of cerakote painting?

Offline duckboi

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 13:32:36 »

I may be wrong but I don’t think this particular board is called the Dario compact 1800

The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline dario

« Reply #172 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 13:36:39 »
I may be wrong but I don’t think this particular board is called the Dario compact 1800

Don't be so salty, this is an IC thread, I had some suggestions, it was worth a shot. I have few more ideas.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #173 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 17:26:16 »
Ok now I can actually reply to all this lol

I've typed on an FC980M for the last seven months - easily my favorite board until I received and built my HBCP prototype. I moved the LEDs because I tried to include some influence from another one of my favorite boards, the Cherry G80-1800 - both to emulate the indicator cluster and pay homage to the origination of the 1800 layout and namesake.

I moved the Fn row over on purpose, one to include the indicator cluster and also to have a uniform (1.25u) spacing between everything - including the Fn row and the alphas, which the FC980M doesn't do (1.5u there).

The cool thing about keyboards (especially fully programmable ones) is that you can customize them to your own accord. I like having actual numlock because I do on occasion use the actual numpad nav keys, and it's a normal use case thing on numpads. With your logic, why should ANY keyboard these days have numlock? Scroll lock I do agree with, but it's still included as it's aesthetically pleasing and it does serve a purpose in keyboards. I wasn't looking to reinvent the wheel completely, but use the past and existing stuff as inspiration to create my own.

Besides, this PCB has RGB LEDs (WS2812b's) for the indicators - you can use them as normal underglow if you'd like. Currently I have mine set up with custom RGB values as indicators.

Also, I like it this way. If I wanted it to be different, I would've designed it differently. I like your ideas, and I'd urge you to include them on your own designs because I won't change mine to adapt them.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 21:52:42 »
this is it chief

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #175 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 22:27:22 »

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 04:16:23 »
Just a quick question. On the specs list it says the keyboard has a "4 5 degree angle. Is this a typo, does it have a 4.5 degree angle, or is it a 4 or 5 degree angle?

Offline lundmore

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 06:09:35 »
Ok now I can actually reply to all this lol

I've typed on an FC980M for the last seven months - easily my favorite board until I received and built my HBCP prototype. I moved the LEDs because I tried to include some influence from another one of my favorite boards, the Cherry G80-1800 - both to emulate the indicator cluster and pay homage to the origination of the 1800 layout and namesake.

I moved the Fn row over on purpose, one to include the indicator cluster and also to have a uniform (1.25u) spacing between everything - including the Fn row and the alphas, which the FC980M doesn't do (1.5u there).

The cool thing about keyboards (especially fully programmable ones) is that you can customize them to your own accord. I like having actual numlock because I do on occasion use the actual numpad nav keys, and it's a normal use case thing on numpads. With your logic, why should ANY keyboard these days have numlock? Scroll lock I do agree with, but it's still included as it's aesthetically pleasing and it does serve a purpose in keyboards. I wasn't looking to reinvent the wheel completely, but use the past and existing stuff as inspiration to create my own.

Besides, this PCB has RGB LEDs (WS2812b's) for the indicators - you can use them as normal underglow if you'd like. Currently I have mine set up with custom RGB values as indicators.

Also, I like it this way. If I wanted it to be different, I would've designed it differently. I like your ideas, and I'd urge you to include them on your own designs because I won't change mine to adapt them.
Sounds like this board ought to be called Spapeggy and meatballs?

SPMB?

Offline formfly

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 09:38:59 »
i wish my wallet ready when it drop
watched nathan kim build the proto make me feel the heat!  :p

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 09:53:15 »
Just a quick question. On the specs list it says the keyboard has a "4 5 degree angle. Is this a typo, does it have a 4.5 degree angle, or is it a 4 or 5 degree angle?

Yea i wanted to do 4 deg initially, i've changed it to 5 iirc.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 12:08:25 »
did you ever decide who gets that one free HBCP yet?  If I recall correctly, I was the only one who entered the drawing. 

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 12:21:17 »
did you ever decide who gets that one free HBCP yet?  If I recall correctly, I was the only one who entered the drawing.

yea everyone lost

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 14:29:02 »

Offline appaboy

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 14:31:58 »
The world needs more 1800 inspired stuff. Am very interested in anything related to 1800
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Windeh

• a no name
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 22:10:45 »

yea everyone lost

:))

Offline mushubanane

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 09:33:08 »
Oh gosh does it look good. Any ETA for the GB by any chance? Really excited about the Xeno, but at the same time, I've always wanted to get my hands on a killer 1800 and this might be the one. Choices, choices.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 10:04:52 »
Oh gosh does it look good. Any ETA for the GB by any chance? Really excited about the Xeno, but at the same time, I've always wanted to get my hands on a killer 1800 and this might be the one. Choices, choices.

Not for at LEAST another month. Likely more. I've explained it before a couple times on Discord etc I think, but the gist is that I'm not even 100% sure how I'd like to run the GB. I'm thinking it'd be better for my own sanity as far as QC and logistics go to do smaller runs of 20-30 boards max each time, with up to two colors per run. This may make each kit a bit more expensive, but still within my sub-$450 mark. I'll have to work on getting some quotes soon.

The other thing I'm still concerned with is that I'll be moving apartments/houses in March, and I really don't want the shipment process of a GB to coincide with that.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 10:07:50 »
does this have iso

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 11:09:47 »
does this have iso

iso only actually

Offline mushubanane

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 11:31:47 »

Not for at LEAST another month. Likely more. I've explained it before a couple times on Discord etc I think, but the gist is that I'm not even 100% sure how I'd like to run the GB. I'm thinking it'd be better for my own sanity as far as QC and logistics go to do smaller runs of 20-30 boards max each time, with up to two colors per run. This may make each kit a bit more expensive, but still within my sub-$450 mark. I'll have to work on getting some quotes soon.

The other thing I'm still concerned with is that I'll be moving apartments/houses in March, and I really don't want the shipment process of a GB to coincide with that.

Gotcha, thanks for the re-explanations!

Offline dario

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 16:04:20 »

Well, as a matter of fact, I do have some sketches of my own keyboard. I've been working on it for a while now, and it's something that has changed many, many times, growing and evolving together with me and my taste.

But to make the long story short, through careful weighting of all the factors involved, I decided that 1800 layout would be as close as possible to my imagined perfect keyboard. Furthermore, it would need to have:

- metal case (magnesium or aluminium, no need for steel on such a big keyboard)

- creamsicle ALPS switches

- PBT keycaps that look nice (probably never gonna find those, but man can hope, maybe Mathias will finally release something)

- titanium plate (ideal plate thickness for Alps is 1.1 or 1.2. Aluminium is too soft for such a thin plate, so you need to use carbon steel, galvanized steel, stainless steel or titanium. Carbon steel is going to rust if left unprotected, all other options are fine, however, titanium makes the best soothing sound)

- no weights (keyboard this big is already hefty enough)

- no universal or ISO layouts. (Holes that are not completely perfect mess with my OCD. Layout is a hybrid between HHKB and 1800)

- QMK

- USB-C

- curvy edges inspired by Realforce (here are some examples, like original Realforce and TaiChi

http://codeandlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/realforce.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hiaKG5v.jpg

- recessions for fingers on the sides of the keyboard (I can't possibly tell you how important this is. I do all kinds of stuff on my desk - roll tobacco, drink tea, have sex, draw schematics on the piece of paper etc. etc. All those things require you to move the keyboard away from you. Side-handles make this much more comfortable)

Again, few examples, TaiChi and Zambumon Verne

https://i.imgur.com/rMF36Hv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/c8Zjy9j.jpg

- cerakote paint (powder coating can chip if you accidentaly hit it with something hard like a tea cup or a screwdriver, anodizing is too thin and will have scratches and scuffs through years of use. Cerakote, on the other hand, if baked on proper high temperature, is incredibly resilient and extremely durable finish, very very tough. Also, add to that excellent pallete of available lively colors)

Of course, I was looking all over the internet to find something that matches description, but the only Cherry 1800 clone that actually supported ALPS is TKC1800, and it was a far cry from my other requirements (ugly plastic case is the most obvious obsticle).

I did saw your keyboard before but I didn't care too much up until the moment you told me you will implement ALPS option, and then I realized it actually checks most of my boxes. And for those that it does not, there is some kind of solution.

For example, you don't offer titanium plates, but you said you will offer plate files, so that's OK because I can cut my own plate.

Also, I can see you don't plan to offer cerakote (actually, I don't know because you didn't answer that question) but maybe you can consider that option too? Or at least give me the option of buying raw aluminium case and then apply cerakote myself. It is theoretically possible to cerakote anodized case too, but you need to sandblast it first to remove anodized layer and that's a PITA.

The only thing that really bothers me is those side-handles. You really should consider something like that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2018, 16:23:03 by dario »

Offline TheloniousDrunk

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 12:38:44 »
Would be very interested in joining a GB whenever it happens. Hopefully for my greed it starts before your move, but if that will negatively affect your sanity during the move then I can muster up some patience.

Offline jizzaztartist

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 21:37:59 »
I would spend any amount of money on an unbranded weight. Branding is a crying shame, really makes you go 'oof' when you see it.

Not kidding, whatever an unbranded weight would cost, or if you need to sell me a crap load of them to meet some order quantity, I'm down.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 21:39:20 »
I would spend any amount of money on an unbranded weight. Branding is a crying shame, really makes you go 'oof' when you see it.

Not kidding, whatever an unbranded weight would cost, or if you need to sell me a crap load of them to meet some order quantity, I'm down.

outside will be unbranded

inside will say something like the proto, not 100% final atm

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 21:41:24 »
nice

Offline dimo

[IC] Hineybush Compact 1800 (HBCP)
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 21:43:48 »

Well, as a matter of fact, I do have some sketches of my own keyboard. I've been working on it for a while now, and it's something that has changed many, many times, growing and evolving together with me and my taste.

But to make the long story short, through careful weighting of all the factors involved, I decided that 1800 layout would be as close as possible to my imagined perfect keyboard. Furthermore, it would need to have:

- PBT keycaps that look nice (probably never gonna find those, but man can hope, maybe Mathias will finally release something)

- titanium plate (ideal plate thickness for Alps is 1.1 or 1.2. Aluminium is too soft for such a thin plate, so you need to use carbon steel, galvanized steel, stainless steel or titanium. Carbon steel is going to rust if left unprotected, all other options are fine, however, titanium makes the best soothing sound)

- no universal or ISO layouts. (Holes that are not completely perfect mess with my OCD. Layout is a hybrid between HHKB and 1800)

- QMK

- USB-C

- curvy edges inspired by Realforce (here are some examples, like original Realforce and TaiChi

- recessions for fingers on the sides of the keyboard (I can't possibly tell you how important this is. I do all kinds of stuff on my desk - roll tobacco, drink tea, have sex, draw schematics on the piece of paper etc. etc. All those things require you to move the keyboard away from you. Side-handles make this much more comfortable)

- cerakote paint (powder coating can chip if you accidentaly hit it with something hard like a tea cup or a screwdriver, anodizing is too thin and will have scratches and scuffs through years of use. Cerakote, on the other hand, if baked on proper high temperature, is incredibly resilient and extremely durable finish, very very tough. Also, add to that excellent pallete of available lively colors)

Of course, I was looking all over the internet to find something that matches description, but the only Cherry 1800 clone that actually supported ALPS is TKC1800, and it was a far cry from my other requirements (ugly plastic case is the most obvious obsticle).

I did saw your keyboard before but I didn't care too much up until the moment you told me you will implement ALPS option, and then I realized it actually checks most of my boxes. And for those that it does not, there is some kind of solution.

For example, you don't offer titanium plates, but you said you will offer plate files, so that's OK because I can cut my own plate.

Also, I can see you don't plan to offer cerakote (actually, I don't know because you didn't answer that question) but maybe you can consider that option too? Or at least give me the option of buying raw aluminium case and then apply cerakote myself. It is theoretically possible to cerakote anodized case too, but you need to sandblast it first to remove anodized layer and that's a PITA.

The only thing that really bothers me is those side-handles. You really should consider something like that.

Is this a joke?

It’s like someone giving way too much information about their life when you asked them how their day is.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 21:49:42 »

- QMK

- USB-C

Is this a joke?

It’s like someone giving way too much information about their life when you asked them how their day is.

stop

its ok

dont attack people in my threads

also no i won't offer raw/unfinished cases, i'll offer the colors i choose and you can pick the one you like. if you don't like any but still want the board, it's your responsibility to do what you'd need to make it the color you choose. i'll have zero liability on that
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 December 2018, 01:28:15 by hineybush »

Offline jizzaztartist

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 23:42:31 »

outside will be unbranded

inside will say something like the proto, not 100% final atm

I guess I can live with that, I would buy at least two of these things.

Offline TheloniousDrunk

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 21:45:14 »
Any word on the GB? Did you decide to wait until later so that it definitely won't interfere with your move?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #199 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 21:45:52 »
Any word on the GB? Did you decide to wait until later so that it definitely won't interfere with your move?

yes