Author Topic: TKL GMMK VS GK64  (Read 10444 times)

Offline Merranza

TKL GMMK VS GK64
« on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:08:46 »
So i was getting ready to hit the buy button on a tkl GMMK... but then discovered the GK64.

Two different beasts I know but they do share some common points: RGB, hot swappable switches, etc.

My first mechanical keyboard was a K70 with mx Reds which I still like for some aspects (volume wheel is really pleasant) which is my DD at home. I then proceeded to buy a CM Quickfire TK with reds too for work (I really prefer light linear switches).

The Quickfire has a very interesting layout with the size of a TKL combining nav cluster and numpad.

I bring back home my Quickfire over the weekend to game and when I go back to my K70, it does feel too big and awkward.

Hence the reason why I was looking at the GMMK TKL. I'm ready to sacrifice the numpad so I can try different switches (Gateron clears namely). I checked some 60% boards while shopping around but hated the lack of nav keys on the main layer... now the GK64 covers that.

Too many choices is sometimes a curse :)

Any arguments that could make the balance shifts one way or the other?
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:12:54 by Merranza »

Offline Kevadu

Re: TKL GMMK VS GK64
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:31:41 »
I suggest you check out my GK64 review.

Spoiler: I didn't like it.

Second spoiler: I would probably consider it one of the worst keyboard purchases I've ever made...

Offline Merranza

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:56:44 »
Well thank you very much for this personal review.

Do you think the metal shell version would fix some of the issues you experienced?

Your review is pretty scary :S

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:58:31 »
I thought a metal plate with fix some of the issues but I've since spoken to people who have the aluminum version of this case and they claim to still have a lot of the same issues...

And it's certainly not going to fix the software issues.  The PCB is the same.  And I don't know of any way to install something more useful like QMK on it.

Offline Merranza

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:56:44 »
Well thank you once again.

I do give a lot of credibility to geekhack forum members and I know people are here to help and give good advices.

I will go with the GMMK then and avoid all the problems you encountered.

Offline ag36

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 17:39:01 »
I've got the both of them. Don't like them but they works okay.

Software is the same one, bloody awful. GK64 is somehow affected more by this because it's small factor and I need fn more frequently.

I don't often swap switches because everytime I do it I'll bend some legs on the switch and they'll eventually snap.

Stabilizers on the GMMK is awful. I brought PCB and plate of the GK64 so I don't know how it's like. BTW for people in the EU, registered for more than a year and 100 posts I am giving out both of them for free without switches and keycaps but with cherry stabs on them.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:19:50 »
i only have experience with the gmmk tkl..

replacing the stabilisers with gmk ones helps a lot..

stuffing the inside of the case with sound deadening stuff helps it a lot..

i have changed switches a bunch of times on mine and it has survived it well..

without modification it isnt so great...  with modification it is quite OKAY... but I dont know if i would use it as my daily every day keyboard.. I think it is best suited to a tester board, for keyswitches/keycaps.. which it is actually great at.
keyboards

Offline Merranza

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:49:40 »

Software is the same one, bloody awful. GK64 is somehow affected more by this because it's small factor and I need fn more frequently.

I don't often swap switches because everytime I do it I'll bend some legs on the switch and they'll eventually snap.

Stabilizers on the GMMK is awful. I brought PCB and plate of the GK64 so I don't know how it's like. BTW for people in the EU, registered for more than a year and 100 posts I am giving out both of them for free without switches and keycaps but with cherry stabs on them.

Thank you for your input.

Damn, 18 posts short and on the wrong continent. If I pay for shipping, can I qualify? :)

Offline Merranza

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:51:34 »
i only have experience with the gmmk tkl..

replacing the stabilisers with gmk ones helps a lot..

stuffing the inside of the case with sound deadening stuff helps it a lot..

i have changed switches a bunch of times on mine and it has survived it well..

without modification it isnt so great...  with modification it is quite OKAY... but I dont know if i would use it as my daily every day keyboard.. I think it is best suited to a tester board, for keyswitches/keycaps.. which it is actually great at.

Thank you for your reply.

Well seeing all of your comments on both keyboards, they seem like pretty meh boards.

Offline ag36

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 06:59:52 »

Damn, 18 posts short and on the wrong continent. If I pay for shipping, can I qualify? :)

As exception, yes.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline Merranza

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:47:56 »

As exception, yes.

Thanks.

Sent you a message

Offline mike-y

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 13:54:52 »
I had a full size GMMK, and also built a GK64, which I have been using at work for a few months now.

I since sold the GMMK, as I already had a nice full size keyboard, and my collection of KB's was getting kinda big.  Nothing wrong with it though, although the case is a little flimsy, and it can sometimes get twisted a bit.  Mine wouldn't sit completely flat when it was new, so I twisted it back into shape, and then it was perfect.  So I guess that's both a plus and a minus, lol.  otherwise build quality was nice, and it was easy to swap switches.  The caps were really cheap, but you can order them without them now.

The GK64, I built myself, and it's the most solid feeling keyboard I have right now.  The pcb does support pcb-mount stabilizers, so that's what I have.  with a little lube, they are completely silent.  I also opted for the stainless steel plate over the aluminum one.  SSTL is way stiffer and more solid feeling than aluminum.  I then got one of the aluminum cases like this:  https://kbdfans.cn/collections/60-layout-case/products/mechanical-keyboard-shell-anode-aluminum-shell-gh60-poker-60-mechanical-keyboard-shell?variant=36017578189

This is pretty much the same generic aluminum case you can get on eBay, and most other keyboard outlets.  it's solid and heavy.  combined with the stainless steel plate, this keyboard is very solid.  it will make all of your switches feel more tactile and positive.  I'm using box orange switches right now, and it's my favorite keyboard to type on.

Yes, the software is crappy.  Luckily, I don't feel I need it.  the factory programming of the Fn key is pretty typical, so I haven't found the need to really mess with the software.  The biggest issue I have with this board is the 1u right shift key.  Every so often I over-reach a bit and hit the up arrow key which will wipe out the sentence I had just typed.  a quick cntrl-Z will undo it and get my text back though.

but this is actually a very good board, if you build it yourself with pcb-mount stabs, a stainless plate, and your own case.  programming sucks, so if you really need that, maybe look at getting a DZ60 with some holtites or something to make it hot-swappable.

Offline Pennywise359

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 08:30:47 »
When I just started getting into the hobby I got one of those GMMK's for my best friend, when I put it together I was pretty happy with it. My friend still loves it. How ever now after trying better products I can tell with no doubt, it is a super cheap low quality product. The body is super thin and it makes ping sound when you type on it,  also it is light and doesn't feel solid at all. It feels hollow. The stabilizers are bad as well. Instead of buying crappy keyboard just for sake of hot swappable switches, just get yourself switch testers and then get a keyboard with your perfect switch. And if you still want hot swappable one, at least wait for another ctrl/alt drop on massdrop or pre order kira from kono store. Maybe those are not the best keyboards but they are probably the best option in your case.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 July 2018, 08:32:46 by Pennywise359 »

Offline Merranza

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 10:47:50 »
Thank you very much for all your advices and suggestions, it's really appreciated.

Offline reavertm

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 01:53:51 »
I have full sized GMMK and I'm very satisfied with it (coupled with Hako Violet and PBT double shot backlit keycaps from Aliexpress).
Stabilisers are noisy but there's a way to fix it without using any lube (I hate to spill any kind of liquid on my keyboards even if it's supposed to help).
Just squeeze short pieces of rubber bands between metal bar of stabiliser and keyboard front plate. It removes most of rattling noise. And spacebar gets proper "toc" sound.

See image there: https://imgur.com/a/ajPS4Os
My only gripe with the keyboard is that it doesn't use any open source firmware (like QMK) and is otherwise only configurable from Windows because of that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 November 2018, 02:01:09 by reavertm »