Author Topic: Anyone here like Jon Rafman's work? Modern art thread oh noes.  (Read 4052 times)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
Anyone here like Jon Rafman's work? Modern art thread oh noes.
« on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 08:53:44 »
Not much modern art talk on here. Understandable I guess but anyway he does a lot of stuff to do with cyberspace, gaming, and keyboards, so I thought some of you might know about him, or might enjoy his stuff if you didn't already know. He's made films inside Second Life and things like that, and works with Oneohtrixpointnever a fair bit.  I went to an exhibition of his a few years ago in London and it was one of my all time favourites.

This is a good one about arcade gaming:

This one is about cyberspace and is NSFW and disturbing:

https://tinyurl.com/phewtln

And some nice images:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Re: Anyone here like Jon Rafman's work? Modern art thread oh noes.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 10:05:16 »
So throwing a bunch of old crap on a table is art now?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 13:25:37 »
So I can never clean my apartment again so long as I just refer to it as 'art'?

I like this modern art thing...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline grimeshark

• grimeshark.online
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 14:33:47 »
Not much modern art talk on here. Understandable I guess but anyway he does a lot of stuff to do with cyberspace, gaming, and keyboards, so I thought some of you might know about him, or might enjoy his stuff if you didn't already know. He's made films inside Second Life and things like that, and works with Oneohtrixpointnever a fair bit.  I went to an exhibition of his a few years ago in London and it was one of my all time favourites.

heck yeah! i've been a fan ever since his Still Life video with OPN, and his 9 Eyes project is some seriously good stuff. his desk arrangements remind me a lot of Sam Rolfe's work but manifested in the real world, i love the aura of discomfort they give off.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 18:23:52 »
See, I'm always torn when art attempts to recreate reality in a controlled way. It's too contrived and fake, in that it's far too close to an actual desktop a messy individual would have or you'd see in a workspace. I've seen some interesting desks in academia, art studios, and even kitchens. Had I just snapped a pic of each cluttered surface would it hold the same intrinsic value as opposed to one painstakingly setup to look the same way?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 18:27:35 »
See, I'm always torn when art attempts to recreate reality in a controlled way. It's too contrived and fake, in that it's far too close to an actual desktop a messy individual would have or you'd see in a workspace. I've seen some interesting desks in academia, art studios, and even kitchens. Had I just snapped a pic of each cluttered surface would it hold the same intrinsic value as opposed to one painstakingly setup to look the same way?

Tp4 prefers Art generated by Neural Networks..

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 18:42:19 »
So throwing a bunch of old crap on a table is art now?

Anything is art if you label it as art. Then question is whether it's any good.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 18:43:17 »

You can. Trying to get funding is the trick.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 18:49:11 »

He's used plenty of found images from the web in his work. A lot of it is in the presentation and its existence within the body of work. In your statement you've already said the desks are interesting in some way, which suggests there's some thought provoking territory to be explored there. And I think simulating those setups can reap rewards as well.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 18:51:01 »

Tp4 prefers Art generated by Neural Networks..

TP gib linx plz to generate further discussion.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 18:57:28 »

Tp4 nees borrow m0ar Tensor Cores to train relevance-linx engine.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 19:23:32 »

Tp4 nees borrow m0ar Tensor Cores to train relevance-linx engine.

TP archetypal struggling artist

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 19:25:25 »
It's sad most successful modern artists just hire people to create their works for them. Kinda defeats the entire purpose of being an artist in the first place, don't it?

So the steps to being a successful modern artist are:
Step 1: Have money (or daddy's money)
Step 2: Know people with money

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 19:48:16 »
It's sad most successful modern artists just hire people to create their works for them. Kinda defeats the entire purpose of being an artist in the first place, don't it?

Money defo helps, but you can't buy a talent for abstract thinking. And wrt your other point, I think it's fair when you're looking at something like Damien Hirst's spin paintings which are churned out by his crew (although there's a little 'out' for him there because he's always doing work about the value of art). But it's a cynical move. With someone like Rafman, when he designs an installation or a sculpture, I don't think it's a problem if he get's a team of people to make them to spec.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 20:02:00 »

heck yeah! i've been a fan ever since his Still Life video with OPN, and his 9 Eyes project is some seriously good stuff. his desk arrangements remind me a lot of Sam Rolfe's work but manifested in the real world, i love the aura of discomfort they give off.

Still life is great. The exhibition had all his videos presented within installations, usually with some strange sensory stimuli, like being in a ball pool or sitting inside a filing cabinet. They all really added to the discomfiting experience. Definitely recommend going to one of his shows if you can/haven't. I don't know about Sam Rolfe though, do you have any links?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 21:47:14 »

As a scholar (sort of) of art history, this just isn't true. This is exactly the reason that Fountain (Marcel Duchamp) exists, it's a parody of the art scene at the time where people would call anything art (and is still relevant today).
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 05:28:28 »

As a scholar (sort of) of art history, this just isn't true. This is exactly the reason that Fountain (Marcel Duchamp) exists, it's a parody of the art scene at the time where people would call anything art (and is still relevant today).

The Fountain was a provocation to shift the focus of art from the craft to the concept. It wouldn't say it's a parody, but it's done with a sense of humour. Nevertheless, I'd be interested to know how you'd define art, if Jon Rafman's work doesn't meet the requirements.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 06:04:29 »

The Fountain was a provocation to shift the focus of art from the craft to the concept. It wouldn't say it's a parody, but it's done with a sense of humour. Nevertheless, I'd be interested to know how you'd define art, if Jon Rafman's work doesn't meet the requirements.

Art is a tough gig'

If you want to paint, there are much better painters

If you want to write, there are much better writers

So the only avenue for mediocre artists to carve out a space of their own is to make weird stuff, which is at the very least (different).

The gallery and auction house setting works like any other zero-sum industry, to sell paintings to make money, to provide tax deductible receipts, or to launder drug/ illegal arms cash..

It is what it is..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 09:33:33 »

Agreed. I can finally start work on my underhand underwear undulating.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 17:24:10 »
There is something beautiful to behold in personalized clutter, I'll admit. Like going to a worldly old person's home that is inundated with various relics and chochkies from their decades of travel layered over one another along the bookcases - all the way to the ceiling. My dad's house is kinda like that with the amount of books he has crammed into each room creating a much more interesting and intimate feel to the space, what with all the parchment leather and wood. That old world cosmopolitan cluttered-things-of-interest style has unfortunately died out with the modern interest in sleek minimalism.

Offline grimeshark

• grimeshark.online
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 19:44:43 »
Still life is great. The exhibition had all his videos presented within installations, usually with some strange sensory stimuli, like being in a ball pool or sitting inside a filing cabinet. They all really added to the discomfiting experience. Definitely recommend going to one of his shows if you can/haven't. I don't know about Sam Rolfe though, do you have any links?

yeah! he posts most of his stuff on instagram https://www.instagram.com/sam.rolfes/

also re: neural networks for generative art, i did a stint in the iViz research lab under Steve DiPaola and he has some neat generative art on his website https://dipaola.org/art/. some of it is based on replicating other artists by way of training neural networks, but a fair bit is original stuff. definitely some cool stuff around.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 19:47:43 »

Agreed. I can finally start work on my underhand underwear undulating.

just applied for funding for my dirty apartment to be classified as 'art'
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 16:26:47 »

I tend to agree with you there; with some popular artists I find myself actually trying to find out if they do the work themselves or just hire crews to build it to specifications; has been difficult to find so far.