Author Topic: Let's see what you got rachel! - A Wild Story  (Read 4405 times)

Offline rachel

Let's see what you got rachel! - A Wild Story
« on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 09:31:12 »
Hello geekhack!!

I finally decided to get my hands dirty with clay and resins, trying to make artisan keycaps myself after much admiration of those beautiful artisan keycaps made by all other artisan keycap makers out in the field.
Personally I do not have sculpting experience, but I do know some painting and drawing, and ceramics/pottery. I think it does help with my sculpting to a certain extend, but as I am working on the keycap sculpture, I realise how tiny it has to be! Not only it has to be aesthetically nice and appealing, but also equally important to fit nicely onto the keyboard and not rubbing neighbouring keys, or appear to be proportionally larger than other keycaps.

204367-0
happily sculpted an ape. I was glad that it turned out ok as this was my first time, but it was too huge... :confused:
Anyway I trimmed the ears off and I am working to sizing down the whole sculpt. In the mean time, I tried casting the first rough version of my sculpt in resins and to see how it turns out.

204369-1

204371-2

204373-3

204375-4

204377-5
*was testing how patches of different resin colours will appear with random strokes as I dispense the resin onto the mould...hence the ugly eyebrow... :))

204379-6

Appreciate for any comments and suggestions!

You can check me out at my instagram @wildstory.caps if you wish to follow my journey  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2019, 21:25:55 by rachel »

Offline Nlight

Re: Let's see you got rachel! - artisan keycap amateur (A Wild Story)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 09:38:06 »
the last one is very, very nicely done, and I don't like much artisan keycaps !  :thumb:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 09:40:00 »
You're right, you see caps and think you appreciate the sculpting but until you try and do something that small you never really do!

Unsurprisingly the ape looked much better with ears so I wish you good luck making v2 smaller :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rachel

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 10:10:00 »
You're right, you see caps and think you appreciate the sculpting but until you try and do something that small you never really do!

Unsurprisingly the ape looked much better with ears so I wish you good luck making v2 smaller :)

Exactly! Thanks for the honest opinion! Yeap I found it weird too without the ears and decided that I am not giving up on the ears. Thanks suicidal_orange!!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 13:30:22 »
Welcome to a fun journey! It's a great start up there :) I wish you the best in your future endeavors! Will be watching the thread :thumb:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 20:18:37 »
Those are nice.

Be sure to make some for buckling springs, they are much simpler than regular caps.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 02:02:58 »
Those are nice.

Be sure to make some for buckling springs, they are much simpler than regular caps.
I am all for this. Haven't seen good Buckling Spring artisans since CC, Bro, Nubb, among others.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline rachel

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 04:29:16 »
Those are nice.

I am all for this. Haven't seen good Buckling Spring artisans since CC, Bro, Nubb, among others.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Those are nice.

I see, alright, will explore doing one with buckling spring some day. Just ordered a ssk.  ;)

Offline rachel

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 05:08:11 »
After realisation of my oversized sculpture, I sized it down from the original sculpture by trimming off the huge ears and hairs on the top and side. (I'm not confident in sculpting another ape which is as good as the first one. Also because I spent 2 whole days sculpting on it).

I casted the first version in cx5 and started to modify from there. Ears is essential, so I made some effort to add it on again. It was so tiny and I have to made both side same/similar for symmetry. It was quite a struggle.
After first round of fixing it, I casted it out in resin, put it on kb, it was still too big. So I did another round of fixing again  :confused: I have to admit I did lost my patience at certain point  :rolleyes:

Along the way I figured a method (lots of trial and error.....) to create furs with rather high temperature and almost-melted cx5 with the tip of my silicone brush (at the same time taking care not to melt away other features). I have to hold the brush perpendicularly to the surface and made very light, controlled, tiny strokes. Personally I am quite satisfied with the furs that I learnt to make.

Some photos of the progress

What do you guys think??  ;D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Let's see what you got rachel! - artisan keycap amateur (A Wild Story)
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 07:01:05 »
Great work. That design and detail is very ambitious and you seem to be working through it with care.

With the very few artisan caps that I have acquired, bulk and size are a perpetual problem.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rachel

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 06:23:32 »
After some effort, I casted my final sculpt into resin. The top hair looks chipped off because of some casting issue but I will fix it.
I also added a little scar on the face  :cool:
Next challenge is to develop the colourways for my design.
Here are some photos for sharing

Cheers!

Offline rachel

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 23:15:15 »
This is it! After multiple trying of different colour combi, here are some shots of the caps that I'm satisfied with.

Thank you for those who gave support to me! :)

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 00:57:33 »
This is it! After multiple trying of different colour combi, here are some shots of the caps that I'm satisfied with.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thank you for those who gave support to me! :)

Those look like some spooky apes :eek: !! Good to see progress! Thanks for sharing :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 20:17:12 »
Those are excellent, perfect for Halloween, although I would want a straight brown/black one on my keyboard.

Offline rachel

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 01:26:38 »
Those are excellent, perfect for Halloween, although I would want a straight brown/black one on my keyboard.

Thank you for your suggestion/feedback! I’ll fulfill your Halloween wish! Will make a brown black one  ;)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 23:57:56 »
Whoa, the cyan really makes the details pop.   :)

Offline rachel

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 00:24:36 »
Whoa, the cyan really makes the details pop.   :)

Thanks csmertx! Good to know ;)

Offline rachel

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 00:29:08 »

Thank you for your suggestion/feedback! I’ll fulfill your Halloween wish! Will make a brown black one  ;)

Here is a brown black version thanks to fohat.digs suggestion  ;)