Author Topic: standard drills for switches and sockets too loose.  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
standard drills for switches and sockets too loose.
« on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 05:47:10 »
Hi! The drill holes for switches are 4mm by default. But 'm not quite satisfied, my Kailh switches fit in quite loose, I'd rather prefer snug fit. What value would support a snug fit?
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 January 2019, 17:03:58 by Eszett »

Offline kakan

Re: standard drills for switches and sockets too loose.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 05:27:18 »
You should use calipers for your measurment, and maybe switch to pcb switch footprint instead.

Offline hanya

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 22:12:54 »
If you make holes snug, some switches would not put inside because of manufacturing accuracy.
PFU HHKB JP, Sanwa MA-TB38 trackball

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 08:33:00 »
When it gets down to that level in an experiment, I usually go to trial-and-error until I find the best answer.

Sometimes an Imperial measurement tool will give you a good increment between mm or half-mm choices, for example 9/64" or 5/32" are between 3.5mm and 4mm.

- waiting for Chyros incoming -

« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2019, 08:36:05 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 20:53:47 »
if you are getting kits and the holes feels too loose, maybe you can try some silicon tape (use for plumbing) on the ends of the switches before pushing them in. other tapes might work as well.