Author Topic: i need a vertical mouse  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
i need a vertical mouse
« on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:12:20 »
my mouse wrist is going to ****, i need a vertical mouse so that it doesn't get too much worse

i'd like to spend under $50, but I can go up to $100

i use a steelseries sensei now, if that means anything
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: i need a vertical mouse
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:14:57 »
I really like the Anker Vertical Mouse but with swapped Omron microswitches.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:17:45 »
for $13 i might as well give it a shot

i'll order it a little later on probs, gotta wait for my mom to get home since i just bought a replacement monitor
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:30:02 »
I bought a $12 knock-off of the Wow Joy Pen and transplanted switches into it from an old Logitech ball mouse.

It worked great for a couple of years and I absolutely loved it but the wheel broke recently.
I shouldn't complain because I got plenty of use out of it, but I may try an Anker soon.

Gamers never liked the Wow Joy Pen because it was slow, but it is a perfect fit and angle.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:44:30 »
I bought a $12 knock-off of the Wow Joy Pen and transplanted switches into it from an old Logitech ball mouse.
Same here. I also removed the scroll wheel when I had it open because I don't like scroll wheels.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:51:57 »
I use the Evoluent Vertical Mouse at work and I'm very happy with it.  It really helped with my wrist pain.  It has nav buttons and supports several DPI settings.  It's kind of expensive, though.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:57:13 »
i mean i'll probably switch between the 2 for games and stuff, but we'll see

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:04:40 »
I use the Evoluent Vertical Mouse at work and I'm very happy with it.  It really helped with my wrist pain.  It has nav buttons and supports several DPI settings.  It's kind of expensive, though.

Even using all the profanity I know I could not adequately describe how much I hate the Evoluent mouse.

I think that it is the worst mouse that I have ever used, by orders of magnitude, and that they got absolutely every single component of the design completely wrong.

But that is only my opinion.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:06:48 »

Even using all the profanity I know I could not adequately describe how much I hate the Evoluent mouse.

I think that it is the worst mouse that I have ever used, by orders of magnitude, and that they got absolutely every single component of the design completely wrong.

But that is only my opinion.

I'm going to need some details.  Can you name any specific problems with it?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:07:25 »
i just ordered the anker

should get here friday, i'll see how i like it when i get it

hopefully it helps

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:56:56 »
Can you name any specific problems with it?

The fundamental fatal flaw of the design is that it is actually "vertical" which means that in order to use it you basically have to "pinch" it between your thumb and the rest of your hand. With your forearm twisted outward.

All manner of evil flows from this inherent problem.

Consider a "classic" mouse that lays flat on the table. Using even one finger, you can move it around in any direction, and by tapping it gently with one finger you can activate either button. The inertia of physics causes it to remain in place as a general rule, and this works to your advantage.

Now, just flop your hands out onto the table in front of you. What is their natural orientation? Vertical? No. Horizontal? No.

They are rotated about 45 degrees inwards.

So, by building a mouse that allows the main bulk of your hand to drape across it at about 45 degrees, with your thumb wrapping up and out in the opposite direction, you get the benefit of gravity and inertia stabilizing the mouse as you manipulate it, the strong massive part of the hand manipulating it, and the benefit of the opposable thumb acting as a counter force to the rest. (Gripping it exactly like the tree limb our ancient ancestors grasped eons ago.)

With the retarded Evoluent mouse, every time you click a mouse button, unless your thumb is working at exactly the same moment (pun not entirely intended) to counteract it, then the "equal and opposite reaction" is trying to move the mouse rather than activate the button!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 01:45:15 »
Here are my thoughts on Vertical mice..

MOST of them Suck as far as tracking...

So I've stuck with the g400-nosnap

I've remedied the "ergonomic" situation by using a very high DPI for desktop apps.. and lower DPI only for games (i don't play any, but would if I did).

I run 1280x800 res, 2750 DPI,   so 1 inch is the whole screen..

now as far as the Wrist twisting issue..

I've adopted a diagonal hold technique, where my hand is in a position SIMILAR to a vertical mouse..

Put your thumb on the top left lip of the mouse..  and learn to click a little bit sideways..

In combination of with the high dpi, this works just fine, because you don't need to grab the mouse tightly for large sweep motions..

The thumb applies slight pinch pressure in conjunction with the pinky for lateral movement..

And it also applies the DOWN-ward pressure whereas that is normally done through the palm..

The diagonal hold method will not work with very flat mices like the razers..

It will only work with a mice with a leftward wall-height of at least 1.65 - 2 inches depending on how large your hands are.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 01:52:40 »

i'll order it a little later on probs, gotta wait for my mom to get home since i just bought a replacement monitor

That sounds so embarrassing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 01:55:32 »

That sounds so embarrassing.

LOL, we're not all richie-rich like you...

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 02:20:59 »
When I am not gaming, I use a logitech m570 both at home and at work. For me this mouse gives zero strain to my hand, and is comfortable, quick and intuitive to use.

I tried larger trackball mice (where you use the whole hand instead of just your thumb), and while they were ok, I found them harder to use and less comfortable. I also had a vertical mouse, which I did not like at all. It was awkward to use, and for me personally, did not really relieve the strain on the hand as well as a trackball does (for me it was the hand, not the wrist). But it is one of those things that you have to try out for yourself. If you are really experiencing significant discomfort, then I do not think it is a bad idea to just order a few different ones from a webshop (that has an easy-going return policy) and check which one suits you best.

Since I started using the m570 the problem I had (pain in the middle of the palm of my hand) completely disappeared within a few weeks.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 February 2015, 02:26:17 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 16:25:30 »
it showed up just now

this thing is so strange to use

i'll get used to it though, it's really cool

i'll post a review in a few weeks

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 18:40:28 »

I ordered an Anker, too, out of curiosity. Judging by looks, I am thinking that the Joy Pen is better, but we shall see.

Hopefully, the switches are better so that I don't have to do a switch transplant straight out of the box!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 19:43:57 »
so far they've been pretty good, very responsive, very crisp

it's kinda like an old mouse, nothing like my steelseries, i think i'm into this

Offline GSimon

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 01:21:50 »
it showed up just now

this thing is so strange to use

Once you start using it it's hard to go back. Like, 0 transition period, I immediately stop using my pricey Logitech mouse. Only downside is I programmed the button below the thumb grip to go 'Back' in browsers etc., and I occasionally hit that bit mistake and lose what I've typed. Happens less now, still sucks when it does though.

(Evoluent mouse)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 08:11:50 »
I had a similar problem GSimon. I've been using the Anker at home for months now. When I swapped it out to play Borderlands, my hands and brain were screaming at me that we were holding the mouse wrong.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:17:30 »
Just received my Anker mouse - unbelievably fast shipping !

First impression (after 20 minutes or so) is not too good.

The hand position is much better than the Evoluent (of course) but still awkward. It seems too long and that it would be very difficult to reach anywhere near the front with the thumb - and I have large hands.

This thing must be a nightmare for people with small hands.

The Wow Joy Pen is the way to go for sure. However, the finish and action of the parts on here is very nice.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:58:02 »
The hand position is much better than the Evoluent (of course) but still awkward. It seems too long and that it would be very difficult to reach anywhere near the front with the thumb - and I have large hands.

The length is perfect for me.  The buttons also have a very long working length.  You can actuate right and left click pretty easily anywhere from the tip of the mouse all the way to the around where the DPI button is.  If keep the stock micro-switches, it won't be great, but pop in some Omrons and it's golden.

My main complaints are I think it needs something to rest your pinkie on so it doesn't drag and I think it's a little too vertical.  It needs to have a slight 5-10 degree shift (or have a wider base) to make it so that you have a more natural grip than nearly completely vertical or completely horizontal like most mice.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:04:05 »
I have small hands and it was bad with the stock switches. But I love it with Omrons.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:24:08 »
I have giant hands and it's pretty good, if a little small

i don't really mind, though

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 14:45:20 »

My main complaints are I think it needs something to rest your pinkie on so it doesn't drag and I think it's a little too vertical. 
It needs to have a slight 5-10 degree shift

The dragging pinkie does not bother me, I have used that to my advantage with the Joy Pen.

And I totally agree that this thing would be far better if it leaned over another 10 degrees!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 10:32:19 »

The length is perfect for me.  The buttons also have a very long working length.  You can actuate right and left click pretty easily anywhere from the tip of the mouse all the way to the around where the DPI button is.

I am getting used to it. The feel is nice and the build quality is higher than the Wow Joy Pen, but I still prefer that configuration.

Fortunately, you are correct, and I am holding it way far back. So far back, in fact, that I sometimes have to reach forward a bit to fully rotate the scroll wheel.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 16:45:33 »
 :confused: IDK what's wrong with me, I have medium hands and i replaced the switches for omrons but i still can´t get used to this and sometimes i have pains in the elbow or in the front of the arm below the elbow. Maybe it's just not made for me, or i´m grabbing it improperly, i have tried several heights and it seems to be better when placed the lowest placing the thumb above the back/ fwd buttons while trying to keep my wrist straight.  :-[

Offline madereth

• My Blog
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 17:17:38 »
Can you name any specific problems with it?
With the retarded Evoluent mouse, every time you click a mouse button, unless your thumb is working at exactly the same moment (pun not entirely intended) to counteract it, then the "equal and opposite reaction" is trying to move the mouse rather than activate the button!

I think some of your issues are resolved by the Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4.  They introduced a lip that extends out of the bottom that the side of your hand rests on.  The friction between the lip and the side of your hand is enough that I'm able to click the mouse buttons with my thumb completely off the mouse.

My wrist is around 70 degrees with the table surface when using it, not 90.
Kinesis Advantage LF - Kinesis Advantage with Cherry MX Blues - ErgoDox with Cherry MX Blacks - Cherry MX 8100

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 21:09:39 »
Just received my Anker mouse - unbelievably fast shipping !

First impression (after 20 minutes or so) is not too good.

This thing must be a nightmare for people with small hands.

The Wow Joy Pen is the way to go for sure. However, the finish and action of the parts on here is very nice.

You are correct about it being a nightmare for people with small hands.  I just purchased one last week and immediately felt pain using it due to its large size.  When I use it I feel like I have to use a lot of force to hold the damn thing.  It is just too large.  The build quality on the other hand was very nice.  I will probably try the DXT next probably. 

I have tried many types of input devices to find the most ergo one that would give me long use without pain or fatigue but have not found one yet.  I have tried: Penguin mouse, Zalman Pistol mouse, Roller mouse, kensignton slimblade trackball, cst laser-trac trackball, logitech trackball, Adesso Easy Cat trackpad, Logitech trackpad, Lenovo Trackpad, Lenovo Trackpoint, Apple magic trackpad and a few others.  Trackpads are the worst.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 07:48:24 »
After 3 months, I think that I will give the nod to the Anker.

I like the way that you "shake hands" at about 45 degrees with the Wow Pen Joy, but it is more bulky and built at lower quality. If I used the side buttons (I don't) I think that they would be more awkward. It is cheap, <$9 shipped on ebay from China for the real branded item in choice of colors!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ergonomic-Design-WOWPEN-Vertical-USB-Optical-Mouse-JOY-Wrist-Pain-USB-Rose-/321658590005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae4589335

The Anker is more upright, I would estimate about 60 degrees, which I have come to prefer. Once I got accustomed to the "pinching" rather than "handshaking" motion, it is good. I have large hands and hold it very far back. I think that it would be harder to use if you held it farther forward. After getting accustomed to it, my hand rests on it more naturally with less effort, more of a draping motion than a clasping one. $14 shipped direct from Anker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical-USB-Mouse-1000-1600-DPI-5-Buttons-/321276464423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acd91cd27

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 08:15:50 »
Which vert mouse do ya'll think has the space for a  Gutz-Transference from a g4m3n' mouse.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 12:16:57 »
Which vert mouse do ya'll think has the space for a  Gutz-Transference from a g4m3n' mouse.
Tough to know without mentioning the donor. The anker comes with a high DPI in the min setting, I haven't noticed any acceleration on it. Its not too bad for gaming but the 400 DPI fps guys like to use is out of the way. I don't think that's too much of a problem but you will have to lower the sensitivity in-game. You should try it out, the wired version ain't expensive. I got the wireless and I'm planning ordering an extra wired model because in the long run batteries will be more expensive and I don't own rechargeable batteries already.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 17:40:42 »
Tough to know without mentioning the donor. The anker comes with a high DPI in the min setting, I haven't noticed any acceleration on it. Its not too bad for gaming but the 400 DPI fps guys like to use is out of the way. I don't think that's too much of a problem but you will have to lower the sensitivity in-game. You should try it out, the wired version ain't expensive. I got the wireless and I'm planning ordering an extra wired model because in the long run batteries will be more expensive and I don't own rechargeable batteries already.

You gotta get in on the eneloops br0..   they last forever..

Offline Axollott

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 16:36:05 »

You gotta get in on the eneloops br0..   they last forever..

Getting the eneloops + charger will be more expensive than simply getting the wired mouse... :/