Author Topic: Looking for a Windows 8/8.1 device to control volume  (Read 7444 times)

Offline aref

Looking for a Windows 8/8.1 device to control volume
« on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 17:02:21 »
I'm looking for device like a Griffen PowerMate that will work with Windows 8/8.1. The device will be used mainly as a volume controller. Can you recommend a product? Thanks.

I have a mouse with assigned buttons for volume, but I don't care for the feel of the mouse. And the mouse I like doesn't have additional controls. So, if I can find a device that I can use primarily to control volume, I'd be grateful. I've read that Griffin's PowerMate has difficulty with Windows 8/8.1. Perhaps it's better suited to a Mac than a PC.

Offline SL89

Re: Looking for a Windows 8/8.1 device to control volume
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 17:03:31 »
I used to have issues with my powermate, update the drivers not only for the powermate but for the USB controllers and whatnot as well. That solved a lot of issues for me until i ended up losing it  :'(

Offline aref

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 17:07:49 »
I used to have issues with my powermate, update the drivers not only for the powermate but for the USB controllers and whatnot as well. That solved a lot of issues for me until i ended up losing it  :'(

I may be better off just getting another mouse. I like the idea of a controller. Many have reported problems with their PowerMates.

Offline SL89

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 17:22:04 »

I may be better off just getting another mouse. I like the idea of a controller. Many have reported problems with their PowerMates.

Sorry to hear that man let me know what you get either way

Offline aref

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 17:24:26 »
Will do. I found one mouse, Logitech 560; but some of the company's newer pointing devices track with too much sensitivity. Perhaps a gaming mouse might track more efficiently. I don't game, but if it works, I'll find applications for the additional buttons.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 17:25:34 »
Someone good in electronics design should run a GB for a DIY variant... >.>
A programmable USB controller + a potentiometer + a PCB with some parts, a off the shelf knob, and some nice CNC'ed aluminum housing.

Offline aref

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 17:34:23 »
Someone good in electronics design should run a GB for a DIY variant... >.>
A programmable USB controller + a potentiometer + a PCB with some parts, a off the shelf knob, and some nice CNC'ed aluminum housing.

This would be great. A simple controller would be nice to have. I don't like having to go to my on-screen audio control. A simple device, similar to Griffin's PowerMate, would be ideal. If it were nothing more than a dedicated audio controller, I'd get one.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!

Offline aref

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 17:58:34 »
Small Google search...
http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.de/2013/08/avr-attiny-2313-v-usb-media-volume.html#more

If Hirst Audio Labs sold this controller, I'd get one. For now I'm using a pair of speakers within reach so I can easily reach the volume control.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 11:44:48 »
Man, powermate is cool. Too bad there are problems.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline aref

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:14:24 »
Man, powermate is cool. Too bad there are problems.

PowerMate is really nice; but it's made for Macs rather than PCs, which takes me out of the running.

I turned a too-sensitive and erratic mouse I have into a dedicated audio controller; I have the base taped to the top of my monitor stand so I can get to it quickly. Nonetheless, this is less than ideal, so I ordered a new Logitech 560 mouse. It has two extra controls on the left side that I'll use for volume up/down. I tried the mouse at Staples and it felt nice, a bit smaller than an M510 I have, but the 510 has too much bulk. The 560 is more contoured and the front is sloped like an old Porsche. I'll have to see it tracks when I receive it next week. Staples was $40; but I ordered one from Amazon for $29.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:17:42 by aref »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 15:03:52 »
I suppose it depends a lot on what your set up is... I have an audioengine N22 desktop amp, so I use it's volume knob most of the time. I also have volume up/down/mute keys on the Fn layer of my GH60 though I don't use anything there but the mute key very much.
I wonder how easy it would be to hook up a potentiometer to one of those techkeys cards and program it for that functionality? That could be pretty ideal if you wanted a small dedicated device with volume, and use the MX switches for multimedia controller keys (forward, back, play/pause, etc). I wonder too if it would be possible to program it's led array to act like a vu meter type thing?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 16:25:06 »
If you can't find something with a dial similar to the powernmate, you could always use something like the techkeys business card if you don't mind doing some programming. They look pretty awesome as well.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Aonsaithya

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 02:11:52 »
Since I tend to have my left hand always on the keyboard, I have an Autohotkey script that maps shift + mouse scroll as volume control.

Code: [Select]
Shift & WheelDown::
    SendInput, {Volume_Down}
    return
Shift & WheelUp::
    SendInput, {Volume_Up}
    return
Topre Realforce 105UFB & Kensington Expert Mouse

Offline Coreda

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 02:29:06 »
I scroll above the Windows taskbar to adjust volume using 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, or use hotkeys. Physical controls can be nice though :)

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 19:11:38 »
I have a powermate and use it on Windows 8.1. I wish the software was more robust but it works. I use another tiny app to change audio sources and I have that bound to long press on the powermate. Short press mutes, and spin for volume obviously. That's all I do with it though. I just use the newest release, I'm pretty sure it's for Vista but it still installs fine on 8.1. I've had mine since 2012.

All of that said I wont be surprised when it stops working with Windows 10 or something. I do wish there was another elegant solution. I will probably make my own and harvest the knob from this one eventually.

Offline ouldsmobile

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 15:46:45 »
I have a powermate and use it on Windows 8.1. I wish the software was more robust but it works. I use another tiny app to change audio sources and I have that bound to long press on the powermate. Short press mutes, and spin for volume obviously. That's all I do with it though. I just use the newest release, I'm pretty sure it's for Vista but it still installs fine on 8.1. I've had mine since 2012.

All of that said I wont be surprised when it stops working with Windows 10 or something. I do wish there was another elegant solution. I will probably make my own and harvest the knob from this one eventually.

I just won a powermate off ebay before realizing there were issues with newer versions of windows. I see you are using one with Windows 8.1. Are you using 64-bit? I can't for the life of me get it working on Windows 8.1 or 7 for that matter. All it does is act like a mouse. Scrolls slowly side to side, and when pushed emulates a left click. :-/ Software normally just crashes out on me too. lol. Can you check which drivers yours is using, mine shows up as both a HID-compliant mouse and HID-compliant device using microsoft drivers. I tried switching the mouse driver to a HID-compliant input device but then the powermate won't do anything, but this does allow the software to load properly which then does nothing to help the powermate to work. All I want is volume control. lol

Kevin

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 10:02:12 »

I just won a powermate off ebay before realizing there were issues with newer versions of windows. I see you are using one with Windows 8.1. Are you using 64-bit? I can't for the life of me get it working on Windows 8.1 or 7 for that matter. All it does is act like a mouse. Scrolls slowly side to side, and when pushed emulates a left click. :-/ Software normally just crashes out on me too. lol. Can you check which drivers yours is using, mine shows up as both a HID-compliant mouse and HID-compliant device using microsoft drivers. I tried switching the mouse driver to a HID-compliant input device but then the powermate won't do anything, but this does allow the software to load properly which then does nothing to help the powermate to work. All I want is volume control. lol

Kevin

I'm currently back on Windows 7 Pro x64 so I can't check those things for you on Windows 8.1 sorry. But I have used it on 8.0 Pro and 8.1 Pro(both 64 bit, haven't run a  32 bit OS since XP). I didn't have to do anything special to get it to work. I plugged it in and installed the software from their site. Every now and again(including on Win7) I have had it not respond but simply re-seating the USB cable fixed that, happens maybe once a month. Software never crashes on me. I use it for simple volume control and I also have long press bound to a keyboard shortcut to change audio devices.