Author Topic: PC Build  (Read 4071 times)

Offline MarrniHigginsFirstOne

PC Build
« on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 01:51:17 »
Hi! I want to make a pc, main task for him - game streaming, or just playing games. And also coding with video processing but that purpose is not on a first place.
Main requirements should meet GAMES for first!
About money - I got 2000$.
Talking exactly about pc setup, without monitor or keyboard&mouse.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: PC Build
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 02:35:25 »
Your system is at odds with itself.
What works well for one of those uses hurts the other uses. For example too much ram is not good for games (yes, you can have too much) but having a gaming level of ram hurts video editing. Tons of cores are great for coding but of limited help in video editing and gaming. I'm not saying this will run bad (it will be great) but a dedicated system would be faster for this reason.

At any rate, this is also a bad time to build a system. Part inventories are low and there's a new high end GPU coming. Wait for the Nvidia 3000 series benchmarks and it to hit shelves before you do anything but here's what I'd be looking at...

Ryzen 3800x or 3900x,
Quality cooling system and compatible case, air or water doesn't matter just get a good one.
modest B550 motherboard
32gigs ram, 3200 or (preferably) 3600 speed, only go more gigs if your focus shifts heavily towards the others
Nvidia 3070 (I doubt a 3080 fits in the budget)
1Tb NVME SSD a fast model from a GOOD brand, Samsung 970 or similar. Larger is okay, just don't blow your money on it. Also ignore PCIE Gen 4.
8 Tb spinner drive
750 watt PSu
I would also invest in a backup such as Backblaze and an external drive for backup.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 05:10:24 »
My neighbour also said that 3900x is a good thing, it was a strange for me because last time I was searching for pc details was  in 2015 and people were flaming amd because they are too hot, seems like they are good now. Also he said that I should wait for a new 3070 or 3080 video card,seems like that is a best setup of processor and video card for that price? No intel needed?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 06:33:26 »
nvidia 3080 is most exciting.

But I'm very optimistic for AMD's Big-Navi.

Supppoosidly  an Nvidia-Killer,   buh they always say that, so... still November launch. I'd wait.

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 06:55:01 »
My neighbour also said that 3900x is a good thing, it was a strange for me because last time I was searching for pc details was  in 2015 and people were flaming amd because they are too hot, seems like they are good now.
yeah in 5 years a lot of things move in tech, 5 years ago AMD was towards the end of the FX era now with Zen intel is the one running hotter, like in the pentium 4 era, well the more i look at it the more it looks like a new pentium 4 era
Also he said that I should wait for a new 3070 or 3080 video card,seems like that is a best setup of processor and video card for that price?
i would also wait for big navi, see what team red has to offer and if it makes nvidia reconsider their pricing
No intel needed?
well maybe for networking or storage, if you really need to have team blue in your pc, although with their now support policy i am not a huge fan anymore of intel networking.

Supppoosidly  an Nvidia-Killer,   buh they always say that, so... still November launch. I'd wait.

to be honest if vega had not been overinflated by miners, it would have been 1080ti performances for cheaper, just was better than the 1080 for mining so the price never was where it should have been. amd purposefully kneecapped navy compute performances to prevent a new vega disaster, but only time will tell.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 06:56:24 »
AMD went a long time with nothing really good, the new stuff is awesome (be sure to check the XT variant as well which even better than the X).
At this point the only Intel worth really buying is the 10900, which is stupid expensive, you can buy a 3900X and a motherboard for almost the same price. Yes, it's faster but is do you care if you get 187 fps vs 190 fps when it costs 30% more?

3080 isn't in your budget, it's about $200 out of reach.
You can wait on the spinner drive for a short time, but I wouldn't really short anything else.

All price approx and subject to change daily.
AMD Ryzen 3900X - $440
B550 motherboard - $180
Crosair 32gb ram 3600 Vengeance - $114
Nvidia 3070 - $500
Case - $90   (I just chose this as a middle ground on price)
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1Tb - $180
8tb drive - $150
EVGA power supply 750 watts - $140
CPU Cooler - $100       (I just chose this as a middle ground on price)

Total $1925 before taxes and shipping
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 September 2020, 08:12:20 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 07:03:03 »
BTW you will be waiting on GPU no matter what.
For all we know Nvidia 3000 could be a paper launch.

One thing I rarely ever recommend is waiting, buy what you can when you can. In this case, yeah, wait for the 3070, but as far as waiting for AMD response, ehhh... You could be 2 or it could be 6 months down the line by then. Then you go to buy that and Nvidia announces the Super cards... So you wait another 2-6 months.  It's a perpetial waiting game in this industry.  Figure out what you want, make your decision, buy it and be happy. I've seen people spend 9 months or more waiting on "the perfect" parts, sure, they end up with something a little better, but they also could have been enjoying a great experience in the meantime rather than looking at a pile of parts for months.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 07:24:29 »
the only thing i would change about leslieann part list would be to not go with an asus board, i have 4 fail on me at various age, the longest living one was a server board at 8 years, the few "normal" boards i had from them lasted about 3 to 5 years. had better luck with biostar (but good luck finding one), AsRock and MSI. and the graphics card maybe but we know nothing about big navi so can't really say anything about it, depending on how urgent your build is either go 2070ti or 3070 or wait to see what big navi bring and then decide.

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 07:31:03 »
What is big navi? New processor from ryzen?
Sorry for those questions, newbie about expensive devices  ^-^

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 07:38:38 »
so AMD have 2 parts
AMD itself making Ryzen and Epyc cpus
and
Radeon Technologies group making the Navi(consumer) and Vega(pro) gpu.

Last year amd released "small" navi, low-ish end parts for the mass market and announced "big" navi, the high end version of navi.
so when we talk about "big navi" we are talking about the next generation Radeon cards.

Offline jamster

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 07:40:32 »

Worth keeping in mind that OP is in the EU, prices are going to be higher there.

Come on, for the super basic stuff like product names, Google is your friend.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 07:42:16 »
Dat n00 cyberpunk game is gonna require 3090 or the Big-Navi equivalent

Offline yui

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 07:51:23 »
well i doubt that any game dev is stupid enough to require a 1500 usd gpu for a 60 usd game... especially cd project red. 2060 maximum i would expect.

and yes jamster hardware price in the EU are way overinflated, talking about France, the cheapest Althon 3000 i could find during the 3 1st months of it was 80 euros so about 95 dollars, now it is down to 60 euros new, when i bought my laptop it was cheaper to import it from the US than to buy it in France... but we still have access to china stocks :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 08:28:39 »
the only thing i would change about leslieann part list would be to not go with an asus board, i have 4 fail on me at various age, the longest living one was a server board at 8 years, the few "normal" boards i had from them lasted about 3 to 5 years. had better luck with biostar (but good luck finding one), AsRock and MSI.
It was actually only meant to be representative of price, I had already removed a specific case model and never put a spinner or heat sink recommendation as all of thsoe are kind of personal preference. You almost can't go wrong with Corsair ram or EVGA PSUs and GPUs.

As for boards
Asus boards used to be great, especially the high end, just pray you don't have any problems. At this point though, I don't trust them for much of anything.
Asrock is good but sometimes they do stupid things they should have known better about.
MSI while some is good I'm currently giving the finger to after it came out they've been manipulating reviewers to hide their garbage.
Biostar is always lurking in the shadows. Good, but no one talks about them. It's the Camry of motherboards.
Gigabyte used be good but used odd hardware and drivers, but they were consistently good. Now I tend to go for them because of Hackintosh compatibility, not that I use one, but I like universal hardware. They tend to be a solid choice.

More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 08:30:22 »
well i doubt that any game dev is stupid enough to require a 1500 usd gpu for a 60 usd game... especially cd project red. 2060 maximum i would expect.

but we still have access to china stocks :)

It'll run on 2060, but you won't be able to enable all the Raytracing effects at playable framerates, which takes the game to the next level.

Offline yui

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 08:45:50 »
Asus boards used to be great, especially the high end, just pray you don't have any problems. At this point though, I don't trust them for much of anything.
yeah i was talking recent past, i still have a pentium 3 system with an asus board that runs well, well after recapping but what do you expect from that era, as well as a socket A motherboard that ran 3 years ago, haven't needed it since then though. just their more recent stuff

Offline noorejji

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 13:05:50 »
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KVjFcq

That leaves $700 for an RTX 3080 September 17th - buy as fast as you can when it goes live. PSU depends highly on what's in stock at your location - Corsair, EVGA and Seasonic is what I go for, gold rating minimum.

Your system is at odds with itself.
None of these points make any sense to me. The days where you need dedicated systems for specific tasks in a home environment are over. PC hardware have become so powerful and versitile that a decent 2k system would be able to handle just about any reasonable task satisfactory. Your hardware advice is really good though. My list is probably redundant, but it's fun to go on pcparpicker once in a while.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 September 2020, 13:27:52 by noorejji »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 20:45:25 »
post to r/buildapcforme they might be able to help you

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 01:34:25 »
That leaves $700 for an RTX 3080 September 17th - buy as fast as you can when it goes live. PSU depends highly on what's in stock at your location - Corsair, EVGA and Seasonic is what I go for, gold rating minimum.
You're now are paying shipping from 4 different places, plus taxes.

You also ignored drive space, 1Tb isn't enough for a serious gamer, much less any sort of video editing.

None of these points make any sense to me. The days where you need dedicated systems for specific tasks in a home environment are over. PC hardware have become so powerful and versitile that a decent 2k system would be able to handle just about any reasonable task satisfactory
It will run fantastic!
But not as well as it could for specific tasks was my point and the specific tasks were somewhat at odds with each other.

It's still faster than a normal system and awesome, but if you can't just throw random stuff at it anymore and expect everything to respond the same way as it did when you have lesser hardware. You start running into bottlenecks you would never see with more mundane hardware. It still faster than the average system even with those bottlenecks but a system designed specifically for that purpose can make a 10, 20 even a 30% difference at different tasks.

At lower end you know an I7 is better than an I3 (not that I7 is low end), but how does the I9 compare to Ryzen and Threadripper?  How does a system react to 32 vs 64 gigs ram, depends on the use case.  You didn't have that choice at $1000 or even $1500, at that price you get a good amount of ram and call it done, you pick the Ryzen because Intel and Threadripper aren't a choice.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noorejji

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 02:31:56 »
You're now are paying shipping from 4 different places, plus taxes.

You also ignored drive space, 1Tb isn't enough for a serious gamer, much less any sort of video editing.
If you click on the individual parts you'll see that there's more shipping options, but those details are irrelevant seeing that he's from the Netherlands. I don't know where you buy from there, nor do I know what their local prices and taxes are like. And I don't know what his storage needs are (but he never said anything about video editing). Maybe he already has an enormous NAS, what do we know? Accounting for all possible needs with such a meager requirements specification is a fool's errand. In any case I believe he has what he needs to get started.

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 03:05:10 »
So I am here again. Interested about that build
Corsair memory here without a doubt? What can you say about crucial ballistix max 2x8 or 4x8 4000mhz?

Offline yui

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 03:45:41 »
/!\ wrong /!\crucial is hk-hinix own brand, hinix memory /!\end of wrong i think/!\ has the reputation of not overclocking as well as samsung's but if you do not plan on overclocking should not matter much. and i think you could get a bit better bang for your buck by going with a pci-e gen3 ssd as B550 will run your gen4 at gen3 speed but then if you plan to upgrade to X570/X670... then it can makes sense to pay the bit of extra now. And as for psu you may be a bit overkill but better have too much than too little, and i had very bad luck with corsair psu and their consumer support, just buy it yourself and keep a receipt if it ever goes bad, i had 2 fail in the 1st 3 months and as it was a gift (i had a receipt but not with my name) corsair denied me rma, just a heads up, i guess that if you have everything like they want to you should not have problems.

edit: marked where i was factually wrong, thanks for the correction Lesieann
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2020, 04:23:13 by yui »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 04:18:39 »
Crucial is owned by Micron, who's memory chips have that issue. 

Corsair, like many PSU brands depends a LOT on what line you buy from more than anything.
Their SFX lineup is pretty much the best in the industry.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 06:22:34 »
Corsair, like many PSU brands depends a LOT on what line you buy from more than anything.
Their SFX lineup is pretty much the best in the industry.
Do they actually make their own PSUs now?  I did my homework and bought one with their sticker that was a Seasonic and was great but had dealings with another (maybe a friends?) that was not.  Back then the different lines were different OEMs.

Since then I've stuck with Seasonic including RMAing a 4 year old fanless unit which started to whine, a shiny new one showed up in the post so they've got my money next time too.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 08:06:09 »
Corsair doesn't make their own PSUs.

Just like many electronics there's really only a few companies making any particular product (OEM supplier), everyone just contracts them to do it. They can take a generic model from their white label catalog and slap a sticker on it or they can insist on upgrades or downgrades.

For every product there's really only a few OEMs in the world, in many cases you can count all of them on one hand and you've probably never heard of most of them.
Asus was a motherboard OEM for HP
Lenovo was the OEM for IBM laptops
Seasonic was an OEM for high end high quality PSUs
In all three cases, those in the industry knew of them, but consumers had no clue who they were until they started offering their own branded products.

I know Corsair uses Wall or Great Wall to make the SFX line, if you ever see a system with a Wall branded PSU do the owner a favor and cut the wiring. Horrible, horrible garbage, but the Corsair SFX line is considered the gold standard for SFX PSUs because Corsair demanded it meet their specifications, which they can do. This is the thing with China, it's the same equipment to turn out junk as it is to turn out great things, it's just a matter of tolerances and specs.

I think there's actually only 5 laptop OEMs in the world, two AIO manufacturers (Asetec makes almost all of them) and a handfull of PSU oems with even fewer good ones. Most goods in the world are handled this way and it's why Covid has been such a pain in the neck. It's not that shipping from China is bad, it's that everything boils down to a select few a few factories for EVERYTHING, it just so happens they're all in one area of China and if any have a disruption, they all suffer and so do we.

Almost everything the common consumer uses today is white label or a derivative of it, want to make something you just need to find that OEM supplier. Want to make something completely different, GOOD LUCK. Everything is geared towards that white label so anything falling too far outside of is extremely expensive to make. This is also why manfacturing is so scarce and expensive now.

Ever wonder how deep it all goes?
Almost every lawn tractor you find at home and garden centers is made by one or two companies, look beyond the paint and plastic you'll see the same similarities. New Washer & dryer, yeah, it's mostly a couple Chinese factories and only a handful of actual models with different handles or sheet metal. Same for your fridge, there's probably a dozen just like it.  You would be amazed how much white labeling happens on vehicle drivetrains. All these cars caught cheating emissions, most of them were using a Bosch fuel injection system, it wasn't VW in house manufacturing.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 10:22:22 »
Makes sense, it's no harder to solder good capacitors than crappy ones.  Seems strange to chose a maker with such a bad rep though - I knew to avoid all things Wall and I've not shopped for a PSU in maybe 7 years.  Before the Corsair/Seasonics I had an Enermax who also actually make (made?) them.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noorejji

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 12:42:10 »
A lot of these posts are very technical, I don’t really see how they benefit the OP.
So I am here again. Interested about that build
Corsair memory here without a doubt? What can you say about crucial ballistix max 2x8 or 4x8 4000mhz?
Crucial is fine, I have good experiences. Whatever has 3000Mhz and up, you can seldom go wrong with RAM. Go for two sticks, so you can add more later if you need it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 01:27:21 »
Go for two sticks, so you can add more later if you need it.
That's dependent on the motherboard size and sometimes the cooler.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 02:33:26 »
So,here we go. I got one setup, want to know if there is something bad :

ryzen 3900x 
2x8 Crucial ballistics max
nvidia 3070 (for the future)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB(qty:2)
ASUS TUF gaming x570 plus
bequeit dark rock pro Or ID-Cooling Auraflow X 240 ?? Please help here
Seasonic X-series SS-750KM3
Chieftec STALLION II

Total price is 1400$ (if not to count 3070)

Your opinion? Anything here can be changed?
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2020, 03:05:14 by MarrniHigginsFirstOne »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 03:10:44 »
Advice said avoid Asus, they made the list.  Advice said B550, you go for X570.  Advice said 32GB, you go for 16...

That's before seeing your list is still priced in dollars which is useless - you need local pricing to fit the budget, not USA pricing.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noorejji

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 03:43:05 »
RAM is so cheap so just get 2x16gb. I’d go for a 2tb equivalent ssd. You can safely go for a B550 motherboard. I don’t care about the motherboard brand as long as the user reviews are alright. That case is hilariously oversized, but that’s preference I suppose. I’d go with e.g. Phanteks, NZXT, Fractal Design, Lian Li or Corsair as those are a bit more accomplished brands in the gaming space.

With a 2k budget for a gaming/streaming rig I’d personally go for an RTX 3080 no matter what. To that end I’d consider downgrading the cpu if needed to make it fit. A GPU is gonna be your most important component for your purpose, and the most expensive one to upgrade, so get the best you can afford right now. That’s my advice. Good luck.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 04:51:05 »
2x8 Crucial ballistics max
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB(qty:2)
ASUS TUF gaming x570 plus
bequeit dark rock pro Or ID-Cooling Auraflow X 240 ?? Please help here
Chieftec STALLION II
As S.O. mentioned
Go for B series board, unless you know why you need an X series you don't need it. It's a massive price jump for nothing.

As Noorejjl mentioned
32gigs, the price difference is stupid not to take advantage especially for future proofing. 16gigs on a rig like this laughable. You are kneecapping the entire system by doing this. The only reason to do this is to save money and plan on adding it later but ram is at an all time low. BUY MORE.

As for the idea or downgrading the CPU for a better GPU.. That very much depends on what monitor you have and games you play. A 3070 is already better than a 2080 TI which is fine for almost anything other than fast 4k (EXPENSIVE screens) and MS Flight Simulator. Swapping out this for a slower CPU for faster GPU will skew it more towards gaming but if you don't have a high end monitor to take advantage of it the card is pointless. I get the idea of future proofing the GPU because they aren't cheap, but it only makes sense if you plan on making that high end monitor jump within a year or so or you use MS Flight Sim. I've run numbers on this many times over the years it rarely pays to buy too big or too far ahead on a GPU.

Why are you getting dual 1tb SSD?
Once a spinner gets going performance is generally fine, meaning it's just fine for data storage and games. This doesn't make sense, especially if it means only 16gigs ram or a terrible case. Speaking of case...

The case.
The ventilation on that is a total joke, who designed this, a moron? It looks like a 10 year old chassis they removed the drive bays from and slapped glass on the sides. Where do the front fans get air, that 1in slot at the bottom?  The GPU on this system is going to be dumping a LOT of heat under load and that case has zero air flow, your system is going to absolutely cook. Oh, it will be quiet, but that's only because everything is muffled with no way to escape. It's also going to run hot no matter what cooler you put on it because it has no fresh air. For a good budget case look at Fractal (almost anything) or the Cooler Master NR600. For a nicer case I always come back to the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic, with the right fans and cooler that is one super sexy and very cool running case (Corsair Crystal line is not far behind). Phanteks and NZXT are also decent choices but get something with actual ventilation.
Here's some other recommendations:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3534-gn-awards-show

Cooling
Always get a brand name, I'm sure Asetec makes that cooler so it runs fine but the fans can make or break a water system, looks and performance-wise. Buy a cooler with good fans now or replace then within a year because they get wobbly and noisy. Be-Quiet is a good brand for air cooling, as is Noctua. For water NZXT, Corsair and EVGA. there's others but generally these will not steer you wrong. For Noctua, check socket compatibility. They also offer REALLY good compatibility charts for cases and coolers as some get quite large. Using an AMD it's less an issue, but still a good idea to check.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 07:37:42 »
Gotta factor in Raytracing,  3070 will be FAST, but we don't have the firm numbers on the ray-tracing performance difference.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 16:16:38 »
As for the idea or downgrading the CPU for a better GPU.. That very much depends on what monitor you have and games you play.
You're right, I didn't consider that he might have a 1080p monitor. Then I totally see 3070 being the better choice. Even today getting a 2080 Ti is laughable for 1080p. tp4tissue also has a point that raytracing might still make the 3080 worth it, even on 1080p. Numbers will tell, as you say. Now that I think about it, we don't even know if he has a high refresh rate monitor...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 22:50:13 »
Historically, you're better off with two mid-range cards than a single high end card.
If you need a 3080, by all means, 3080, but if you don't need it and don't expect to need it (most don't) then don't buy a 3080.

By the numbers...
Say you buy a 3070 now $500.
In two years, sell it for $200 (lowball) and buy a 4070. Your expense has now matched the 3080 but your shiny new 4070 beats the old 3080 and that's before you count enhancements like better ray tracing. If you drop to 3060 and 4060 the numbers get even worse, in this case you generally don't even need to sell the old card to break even.

This is why you never want to future proof the GPU as an investment, they're disposable. the tech moves too fast.
The PSU is an investment, the case and keyboards are an investment, you could even argue the screen is an investment but of all things in a computer the GPU is the LEAST worthy of investment because it will be outdated before anything else in the box. You can still play almost anything on an 8 year old Intel CPU (2500k 2600k), you can still play games with 8 gigs ram, sure it's long in the tooth but it's playable with a newer GPU. Show me an 8 year old GPU that can still hang, for those thinking "my 970 still works", nope, sorry, the 970 is 6 years old (2014). 8 years ago we had Nvidia 600 and 700 series, ouch.

GPUs don't age well.
The situation 1080 owners were in when the 2060 super was released and the 2080 TI owners are in right now should be all the proof you need. This is also why I have such a hatred for gaming laptops. In 4 years the rest of the system may be great for general computing but now you're stuck lugging around this monster that has TERRIBLE battery life and can't run newer games.

By the way, it's the same thing with SSDs.
You pay far too much for the large capacity stuff to make it worthwhile at the moment. By the time 2Tb becomes affordable good performing Gen 4 will be common so why buy a poor performing Gen 4 or fast gen 3 now at three times the price. Again, if you need it you need it but don't future proof an SSD, the technology is moving too fast. Buy a good performing well priced model now and a spinner, then upgrade later. It will cost you the same and you end up in a better spot.

It's called bleeding edge for a reason, it hurts your wallet.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noorejji

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 01:36:26 »
I suppose it depends how often you like to upgrade, and what performance you see yourself being content with throughout that interval.

I see what you mean with GPU's not aging well, but I don't understand your examples. GTX 1080 released over 3 years before 2060 Super. Sure you're gonna get better performance for less money, but if you needed that performance 3 years ago (e.g. 1440p @ 144Hz) then that becomes irrelevant. And if you're buying anything costing north of 1k, you should be a person that can stommach it.

I say get whatever is the most price appropriate with the rest of the build. If anything, 3900x is less likely to bottleneck a 3070.

Offline jamster

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 02:40:51 »
I've been in IT for decades, and it's been a hobby for longer.

Long ago, I realised that "future proofing" is largely a mug's game. Or something very similar to FOMO. Outside of a small number of areas, it's usually not worth doing. Specs change so fast, gear gets cheaper so fast, tech goes in different directions than expected. It's often better to go middle of the road then buy again in 2-3 years after a generation or two has passed.

The only areas I can think of where "future proofing" is really relevant is perhaps cable installations, where it's the cost of labour that's high, not the materials. Even then... Cat 5e is still 100% fine at home. I guess because despite some expectations, 10Gb never got anywhere for home deployments. Buying cases and PSUs for the long term can work out, but these are static products.

Motherboards, CPUs, storage, giant amounts of RAM, these things either come and go so fast, or drop in price so fast, that it's not worth trying to buy for five years down the line.

In a corporate environment, we don't 'future proof', we buy for long term product support, physical scalability (does the DC have enough rackspace for future expansion, if there's a doubt we buy the option for extra racks now). We don't buy for hypothetical workloads in 3 years time because we just buy more equipment.

Oddly enough, talking to my tech friends last week, we came across an area where future proofing worked out by accident. They tend to buy the Intel K CPUs, test overclocking ability, then promptly set them back to base and forget about them.

Turns out that Intel have stalled so long, and that lack of progress on mutli-threaded games has been so consistent, and AMD went for core count rather than clock speeds, that their generations-old systems will match anything available today if some tweakng is done.  This was pure luck.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2020, 02:49:24 by jamster »

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 02:55:28 »
As S.O. mentioned
Go for B series board, unless you know why you need an X series you don't need it. It's a massive price jump for nothing.

As Noorejjl mentioned
32gigs, the price difference is stupid not to take advantage especially for future proofing. 16gigs on a rig like this laughable. You are kneecapping the entire system by doing this. The only reason to do this is to save money and plan on adding it later but ram is at an all time low. BUY MORE.

so, it is better to take b550 and not a 16, but 32 ram, got it now.
About case - Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic and Cooler Master NR600. They are both good for my setup? I can choose any of them?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 03:36:29 »
but if you needed that performance 3 years ago (e.g. 1440p @ 144Hz) then that becomes irrelevant.
Which is precisely what I said...
"If you need a 3080, by all means, 3080"

I'm saying don't buy a 3080 when you won't need 3080 performance for 2-3 years.

Turns out that Intel have stalled so long, and that lack of progress on mutli-threaded games has been so consistent, and AMD went for core count rather than clock speeds, that their generations-old systems will match anything available today if some tweakng is done.  This was pure luck.

It was luck in that it stalled when it did but that stall was coming whether you knew it or not.  You can't reduce something 10, 20 or even 30%  time and time again forever, which is what Intel was doing. At some point you run out of room and the gains stop coming as fast as they were. Same with core count, if you look at the numbers, beyond 6-8 cores the performance gained by adding more is slim and by the time you hit 32 cores, gains are flatlinesd (for desktop use). By the way RTX gains flatline at 128.

We need an architecture change for things to really go much faster.
More ram only does so much, faster ssds only do so much. Much of your boot time is actually processes waiting on other processes to verify they finished.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2020, 03:40:13 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 03:41:26 »
so, it is better to take b550 and not a 16, but 32 ram, got it now.
About case - Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic and Cooler Master NR600. They are both good for my setup? I can choose any of them?
Yes, and any of those cases will work.
Beware, the 011 doesn't come with fans, you will need some which adds to the cost.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 06:42:19 »
Wait for ray-trace numbers.

Offline yui

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 01:33:02 »
TP being reasonable and waiting on result before recomending to spend all your money on a 3090? that is a new TP

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 19:36:39 »

Ray tracing does not matter if i'm playing arsenal on max settings, there is zero real time raytracing in 100% of the games i play