Author Topic: Maltron Programmers K/B L89P  (Read 32748 times)

Offline Proword

Maltron Programmers K/B L89P
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 09:06:52 »
Well, you did say you bought it on e-bay ;-)

This keyboard I bought second hand 8-10 years ago(?) and it's got a nicely moulded surround on the DIP switch slot.

Maybe you've got an old one.

Joe
Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline Proword

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 09:14:38 »
Another thought is that since you bought a single hand keyboard, which is a fairly low volume item, it may have been too costly to have two bottom plate moulds, one for left and one for right (since the DIP switches are on different sides of the board), so they had a generic mould made and punched the holes as required on whichever side.  

Joe

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline Multiple

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 09:49:12 »
Quote from: sordna;335755
Multiple, are you saying there exists a maltron with this layout, or did you place a totally custom order? If it exists, please provide pointer. If it's a custom order, please explain the procedure  needed order such a thing, and what the involved extra cost is. Thanks in advance!

Apparently, you should not ask me how to place a custom order, nor ask me how to contact Maltron -- because they have stonewalled me! I got no response at all.

So, my attempts to get an ergonomic keyboard, suitable for programming, is now limited to either the Kinesis or the μTron. I'm not really digging the blue and brown switch and would, because of that, have to wait until Kinesis releases the limited red-switched keyboard...That's probably a long wait so I ordered the μTron instead. It has now arrived in my country (China) and it has passed customs and are a few days away from my location.

Next week, I will be able to play with it and see how it can be remapped to a Maltron layout, with sensible locations for programming symbols.

Hopefully the μTron will not cause any troubles for my hands and I can use it, if not, I will have to wait for the Kinesis, unless someone figures out how to contact Maltron...

Offline Proword

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 10:02:31 »
Quote from: Multiple;339526
Apparently, you should not ask me how to place a custom order, nor ask me how to contact Maltron -- because they have stonewalled me! I got no response at all.

Multiple,

Which email address did you use to contact Maltron?  I was in contact with the sales department last week at this address

"Maltron Sales"

and got a pretty well immediate response (bearing in mind the time zone differences.)

Joe

(Plus you have to bear in mind there's been Easter and the Royal Wedding so maybe the whole country has shut down.  :D)

Joe

Offline Multiple

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 10:06:11 »
Quote from: Proword;339533
Multiple,

Which email address did you use to contact Maltron?  I was in contact with the sales department last week at this address

"Maltron Sales"

and got a pretty well immediate response (bearing in mind the time zone differences.)

Joe

(Plus you have to bear in mind there's been Easter and the Royal Wedding so maybe the whole country has shut down.  :D)

Joe

That was the address, but as you said, there could be many reasons. I can't say...

Offline Proword

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 10:11:05 »
If you wish, maybe wait a day or so, and if nothing happens, send me an email with your queries and I'll forward it on to Martin.

Joe

Offline Jim66

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 10:13:13 »
Keep in mind that we have just had numerous holidays/bank holidays. What with easter and then the royal wedding yesterday..

Offline Multiple

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 10:23:35 »
Thanks for your concern.

I will take some time to evaluate the μTron and accustom to it and also build up the WAF factor in regards to spending money on keyboards..., and then consider to purchase a Maltron with switches that actuate at a lower force.

Having a source that can discuss with sales personnel at Maltron seems to be needed though!

Offline Jim66

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 11:30:00 »
Quote from: Multiple;339526
uTron instead. It has now arrived in my country (China) and it has passed customs and are a few days away from my location.

Where did you order it form and how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking..?

Purchased from one of these places?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.personal-media.co.jp%2Futronkb%2F
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2011, 11:36:06 by Jim66 »

Offline Multiple

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 11:54:53 »
Yep, that's the retailer [ed: to clarify, it was Personal Media Corp.]. They are very professional, committed and speak excellent English, at least the sales division. I can highly recommend them. But, I have to warn that shipment from Japan can need special considerations, such as a broker. It might not be possible for them to ship directly to your country.

I paid 887USD (72000YEN) for the keyboard, palm-rests and shipment, additional customs duty taxes to be expected on delivery.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2011, 12:11:10 by Multiple »

Offline Jim66

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 13:13:27 »
Jesus.. That's a lot of money!

Offline Multiple

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 08:41:19 »
It's probably what a custom Maltron would go for, anyhow. About contacting Maltron; Proword, would it be possible for you to ask your contact, if they are able to use lighter switches?

I would find it odd if that some how would be a problem, surely the force required to press a key, can not be fixed, as an optimal solution for all their clients?
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2011, 08:43:27 by Multiple »

Offline Proword

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 09:38:08 »
I sent off an email.  Will keep you informed.

Joe

Offline Multiple

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 09:43:32 »
Thanks!

I'll try to keep you entertained with pictures of the uTron tomorrow (it has arrived in my town), but as anyone can understand, it is not as well designed as the Maltron in regards to ergonomics. Well made and attention to detail, possibly. But, sooner or later, Maltron will be the final destination...

Offline Proword

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 19:38:53 »
Multiple,

Just to help Martin with trying to find what happened to your email, could let me know your name and email address so I can forward them?  Send me a PM if you like.

Joe

Offline Multiple

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 06:36:09 »
Quote from: Proword;340679
Multiple,

Just to help Martin with trying to find what happened to your email, could let me know your name and email address so I can forward them?  Send me a PM if you like.

Joe

PM'ed!

Offline Proword

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 07:04:44 »
PM received, and details forwarded to Maltron.

Here's hoping.

Joe

Offline Proword

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 09:48:15 »
@multiple,

Had a brief phone chat with Martin from Maltron, and he tells me that the original programmers keyboard was a "one-off" from some time ago.  However he's forwarded your email to Stephen Hobday for consideration.  He says he'll be in touch with you.

Joe

Offline Multiple

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 23:30:08 »
Thanks for the effort Proword!

Offline Proword

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 23:43:30 »
No sweat.

;)

Joe

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 02:08:54 »
Hi Joe,

Would it be possible to get a measurement from one of your Maltrons?

I'm curious about the width/height of each hand cluster.
1) the 6 keys wide (ie. F7-F12)
2) the 6 keys height (ie. F8-+=)
Say, from the top face edge of one key to the farthest top face edge of the 6th key at the end of the row/column. Does that make sense?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Proword

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 02:49:09 »

From F1 across to F6 is 115 mm.

From Top of F1 to bottom of (long) "shift" is 100 mm.

From F4 to Page up is 118 mm.

Thumb pads are roughly 55x55 mm.

Width of entire board is roughly 430 mm

Depth 210 mm

Numeric keypad 95x70 mm.

Distance between left and right hand 150 mm.

Hope that helps.

(That's in straight lines, without taking curvature into account).

Joe
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 May 2011, 02:51:33 by Proword »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 11:47:18 »
Perfect, thank you!
I understand about measuring the straight line. I'm comparing with a Kinesis Contoured for an additional key row that will follow the curve.

I emailed Maltron about possible purchasing a case-only, but have never heard back from them :(
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline mrsone

• Recovering Rubber Dome User
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 04:59:45 »
I like the idea of a Kinesis advantage with MX Reds. That may be the thing that gets me to try one finally. I need an ergonomic keyboard for my job and if they offered one with reds I would snatch one up.
Keyboards currently in my possession:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Other Keyboards I have tried:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline sordna

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 12:19:08 »
Send them a mail to inquire about an Advantage with MX red switches, and let us know what they say!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 15 May 2011, 14:39:23 »
Ya gotta know they are always in some form of a planning stage for a new model or updated existing line. Any input will definitely tweak thinking...

Offline sordna

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 25 May 2011, 09:32:19 »
Quote from: mrsone;346511
I like the idea of a Kinesis advantage with MX Reds. That may be the thing that gets me to try one finally. I need an ergonomic keyboard for my job and if they offered one with reds I would snatch one up.

I just got mine:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?18200-Kinesis-Advantage-LF-%28Linear-Feel-Cherry-MX-Red-switches%29-shipped

It's soooo good, well worth the $325. These things last forever anyway, my first Kinesis (7 years old) still works like the first day I bought it. I love these keyboards already, but wiith the red switches it's just awesome.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard