Author Topic: Screw holes in plate  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
Screw holes in plate
« on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 11:53:37 »
Hello everyone, I am happy to say that I have gotten the ball rolling, and save for some unruly time delays, have smoothly been able to order all of the parts for my handwired keyboard. There is one small problem. I forgot to add screw holes into my plate that I ordered, and I am using a sandwich case. What would be a solution to this? The plate is made out of FR4 so is it possible to drill in some holes for the srews? Or is there a workaround method of not even using any screws at all? Thanks in advance about any feedback!
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

tp4, compendium of speed, 2015

Offline nevin

Re: Screw holes in plate
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 12:00:13 »
The plate is made out of FR4 so is it possible to drill in some holes for the srews?
absolutely! i'd recommend you pinch, tape or some other way hold the spaced plates together when you drill your holes. easy way to line up the top plate holes with the bottom plate holes.

Or is there a workaround method of not even using any screws at all?
glue. superglue or or expoxy may work if you're doing a "stacked"  case, will probably have to lightly sand the contacting surfaces to so the glue has something to bite into. if doing spaced plates, just line them up/hold them together when drilling the holes for the standoffs.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 12:02:51 »
Thanks!

(As a side note, I'm really impressed at the speed and accuracy at which you answered my question. It's been like, what, 7 minutes, yet you have answered my question perfectly. Thanks again!)
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 12:24:46 »
heh, no problem.... didn't even realize it was you... "me" (....didn't pay attention to who the OP was)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Me

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 12:27:21 »
Yep!

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 12:29:55 »
well, congrats on ordering plates... making progress... if i may, where'd you end up ordering them from?

Offline Me

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 12:38:27 »
Well I looked for a while, and the cheapest option I found was this webstite called pololu. Also, my I mixed it up when I was writing the original post, but my plate is made of acetal(which I think is the same thing as POM), not FR4.

Offline nevin

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 12:55:25 »
acetal = Polyoxymethylene (POM)
what was the thickness?
are you doing stacked or spaced?
   - if spaced... you'll probably need more standoffs than you'd think. POM can be a great plate material for alignment (alps) when using a pcb. but if solely using two spaced POM plates, you might have some issues (depending on thickness & number of standoffs) ...POM is a pretty soft/flexible material. not nearly as rigid as FR4.

pololu... very cool. i wouldn't have thought of them. i get voltage regulators & some other goodies from them.
... will definitely keep them in mind.

Offline Me

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 20:01:42 »
I'm not exactly sure what stacked or spaced means, but I basically plan to make a regular sandwich case out of wood using the switchplate as the top of the case. Similar to the case used in the below video, but made out of multiple peices. A flat bottom plate, a ring-like middle layer, and then the top POM plate(I may also use some xtra wood to make a sort of railing around the plate, it looks cool in my minds-eye),

Offline Me

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 20:02:47 »
oh yeah. and the thickness was 1/16".

Offline nevin

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 22:50:52 »
stacked... or layered, like your planning
spaced... switchplate and bottom plate spaced apart with standoffs.
like this
266916-0

you'll probably still need a handful of supports under the POM plate.

Offline Me

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 23:23:37 »
Ok, I see what you mean by spaced. It looks kinda cool actually, I might try to encorporate some of that asthetic into my final product. Thanks for helping!