Author Topic: Switch movement  (Read 1415 times)

Offline zippox

Switch movement
« on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:22:52 »
Is there something that helps prevent the keycaps from being "loose" on the switch? For example you can lightly place your finger on a key and jiggle around. Is that the plastic "+" part of the switch that is loose or something?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Switch movement
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:26:45 »
They're loose if they come off easily. To fix that, use a small piece of paper or plastic over the switch stem before putting the cap on. Though what it sounds like you're talking about is wobble. And there really isn't anything you can do about that. Maybe a lower cap profile might help lessen it to a degree?

Offline zippox

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:31:11 »
Yes, you were right that I meant wobble of the switch instead of the keycap being loose. I actually recently put on a set of cherry profile keycaps and it's still something that I notice.

So switch stickers don't fix wobbliness? I don't quite know what switch stickers are.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:33:49 »
They won't. The wobble happens from the stem inside of the housing. The sticker only goes between the bottom and top housing. People say it decreases some wobble, but IF it really did, it would only be a very small change. You'd have to find a way to stabilize the stem inside of the housing better, which would also make the switch harder to press and create more friction. It would eventually wear and become wobbly again. Plus, the tolerance would be so much tighter, and not good financially for the company because the price of each switch would rise drastically and people's perception of them over time would be negative with relation to the wear and wobble.

Offline zippox

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:38:36 »
Do topre switches have the same wobble?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:41:21 »
Yes sir. I can't say if it's worse or better than MX, as it's been awhile since I've used an MX board, but they do wobble.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:22:01 »
They all wobble to a greater or lesser degree and in my experience, stickers do help (having the case halves more tightly held together stabilises the slider rails by not allowing the top to tilt). Particularly on a PCB mounted board, but also on plate mount. Lower keycaps help minimise the amount of perceptible movement, too, by reducing the distance from the pivot point to your finger.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 17:17:28 »
I think stickers should work. They are inexpensive but just require some time to open everything and stick

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:24:45 »
You asked if Topre wobbles as much. At the time, I messed with my HHKBs caps. Right now, I'm on my Realforce, and these seem to have less wobble than that did.