Author Topic: Novelty Cherry MX keycap profile...  (Read 4929 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Novelty Cherry MX keycap profile...
« on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 15:12:05 »
So, being that I am a keycap design newb, can everyone weigh in on keycap preferences when considering profile of a novelty keycap? Keep in mind I am asking in regards to SA, DSA, or DCS/Cherry/OEM profiles and Row heights.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 September 2014, 15:17:24 by 00zeRO »
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Novelty keycap profile...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 15:13:43 »
Cherry Topre

And throw in some buckling spring.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: Novelty keycap profile...
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 15:19:03 »
Cherry Topre

And throw in some buckling spring.

Wha-?

:eek:

Key-cap, not key-switch...I amended the title to narrow down to Cherry MX... :))

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Novelty Cherry MX keycap profile...
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 15:28:00 »
Well, I mean, if you're ONLY doing the worst switch, go for Cherry profile.

But Topre and BS are better.

Offline spookymikal

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 16:16:22 »

Better at what exactly?

My cherry MX blacks are better at typing quietly.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 16:36:39 »

Best profile, as in most popular...

Topper, I mean Topre thread crapping not allowed. I am just trying to come up with an idea of the most popular all around profile and row height in which to begin my mass generating of keycaps that will appeal to most, not all, people. Least of all, Topre fanboys who like to thread crap on a thread that I want genuine feed back on. I want the rule, not the exception esoom.'
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 September 2014, 16:46:35 by 00zeRO »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 16:40:27 »

Topper, I mean Topre thread crapping not allowed. I am just trying to come up with an idea of the most popular all around profile and row height in which to begin my mass generating of keycaps that will appeal to most, not all, people. Least of all, Topre fanboys who like to thread crap on a thread that I want genuine feed back on. I want the rule, not the exception esoom.'

Like I said, Cherry profile. It is the most popular, by far (not counting the fact that OEM comes on keyboards stock, so is likely the most widepsread, and those users would probably find it curious, if not downright troublesome that the caps you sold, if in Cherry profile, aren't the same height as the ones on their keyboard. That is, unless you're selling entire replacement sets.).

But, if you would quit being so downright sensitive about your little caps to take a joke, you'd see that I said that from my first post.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 16:45:55 »

Like I said, Cherry profile. It is the most popular, by far (not counting the fact that OEM comes on keyboards stock, so is likely the most widepsread, and those users would probably find it curious, if not downright troublesome that the caps you sold, if in Cherry profile, aren't the same height as the ones on their keyboard. That is, unless you're selling entire replacement sets.).

But, if you would quit being so downright sensitive about your little caps to take a joke, you'd see that I said that from my first post.

Then I retract...you be right.

Danke

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 19:51:56 »
I'd say OEM or Cherry are probably the most popular.  OEM since most keyboard come with these stock, and all the hardcore people seems to like Cherry profile.

HOWEVER Cherry profile is not for everyone, personally I find the middle row too shallow and inconsistent with other row height.  (Feels like it has less travel before bottom out)  To me OEM feels more natural.

So for those that doesn't get a full set of custom keycaps, OEM is better.  For those who gets a full set of custom keycaps, it depends because now Vortex/Ducky have their OEM, Signature Plastics have their own DCS which is similar but NOT the same as Leopold's profile or Cherry profile.

In short I think OEM is safest choice.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 20:10:09 »
I'd say OEM or Cherry are probably the most popular.  OEM since most keyboard come with these stock, and all the hardcore people seems to like Cherry profile.

HOWEVER Cherry profile is not for everyone, personally I find the middle row too shallow and inconsistent with other row height.  (Feels like it has less travel before bottom out)  To me OEM feels more natural.

So for those that doesn't get a full set of custom keycaps, OEM is better.  For those who gets a full set of custom keycaps, it depends because now Vortex/Ducky have their OEM, Signature Plastics have their own DCS which is similar but NOT the same as Leopold's profile or Cherry profile.

In short I think OEM is safest choice.  :thumb:

So, what do you think about DCS since most if not all the keycaps I create will be made by Signature Plastics. I know from experience that DCS is close to OEM but certainly not dead on. What Row height would be good for a single one off keycap?

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 23:09:51 »
Hmmmmmm to be honest I don't have too much experience with DCS, from what I heard the height goes something like this.

Tallest --> Shotest

OEM > Leopold > DCS > Cherry

And I think most of the time they always make the the top row profile (Esc, F1, F2 ......etc) since people usually always put novelty keycaps at the Esc key location.  :P

I forgot their numbering system, I just know Signature Plastics use reverse order compare to Costar.  Like one of them count from 1, 2, 3, 4 starting from bottom and one of them count from top.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 23:24:53 »
Esc and number row are Row 4 my SP's DCS profile.  If you go OEM it will be close enough for novelty keys especially if they are sculpted and not just diff legends that nobody will really care.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 04:01:02 »
Depends on the design of the novelty cap. For instance, your Vault 13 cap is perfect for SA profile, very happy that it tipped, by the way :) Suits the Nuclear Data Green set, too. I think it's a good idea to match to Group Buy sets or sets with similar colours.

It also depends on who makes the cap. SP cannot do Cherry profile, but DCS is close enough for the row that most use for putting their novelty caps on (F key row on TKL and numbers row on 60%).

DCS is quite a bit lower profile than OEM (which stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer), although there are actually a number of versions of OEM, since each keyboard manufacturer can make their own keycaps and they don't end up exactly the same. So even if you choose OEM profile, they won't match the keys on all "OEM" keycap sets. Then again, OEM is still the most commonly used profile, since many people just keep using the stock caps that come with their board.

So for a "generic" novelty cap, OEM profile dyesub can work, but most people just go SP DCS Row 1.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 September 2014, 05:15:48 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 10:34:44 »
Depends on the design of the novelty cap. For instance, your Vault 13 cap is perfect for SA profile, very happy that it tipped, by the way :) Suits the Nuclear Data Green set, too. I think it's a good idea to match to Group Buy sets or sets with similar colours.

It also depends on who makes the cap. SP cannot do Cherry profile, but DCS is close enough for the row that most use for putting their novelty caps on (F key row on TKL and numbers row on 60%).

DCS is quite a bit lower profile than OEM (which stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer), although there are actually a number of versions of OEM, since each keyboard manufacturer can make their own keycaps and they don't end up exactly the same. So even if you choose OEM profile, they won't match the keys on all "OEM" keycap sets. Then again, OEM is still the most commonly used profile, since many people just keep using the stock caps that come with their board.

Show Image

So for a "generic" novelty cap, OEM profile dyesub can work, but most people just go SP DCS Row 1.

Do you think that SA Row ? would be well received as a novelty size if I were to do them only in that, or is it too different from OEM for people to purchase them regularly?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 10:51:18 »
SA height may work out the same but it won't be the same shape/profile as OEM. I think you best bet is to go DCS/Cherry. If I'm out to buy novelty caps, I typically won't look for SA profile. SA has only recently become popular and I believe DCS/Cherry will remain the most popular profile.

And I also think that the function row height is the most popular novelty profile height. Not really sure what that is off the top of my head but whatever DCS height that fits that escape/function row would work best imo.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 September 2014, 10:55:00 by CPTBadAss »