Author Topic: Making Clear keycaps?  (Read 14811 times)

Offline NeedAFix

• Ten Seconds until Midnight
Making Clear keycaps?
« on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:10:32 »
I've decided to go ahead and create some half-clear keycaps out of some of my extra keyboard keys. I figure instead of using some kind of chemical and soaking or rubbing the sides I can just use a dremmel to grind away the layer of paint.

I was only going to do the sidewalls, so more color shows through the keycaps but you can also still see the lettering on the tops, I will provide pictures of the results of the WASD keys when I am finished with them. I may do a whole key set.

Does anyone else do it this way, have any advice, or stories? Discuss!

Edit: I've posted the first example key (it isn't transparent, the paint has just been removed -- transparent keys would be awesome.)
Edit2: The finished WASD, not perfect but I'm not concerned* (Quick Fire Pro keycaps dremeled clear side walls on K70 RGB MX red). I might do all of the keys from the QFP and put them on the K70 RGB.
Notes* Yeah, of course using a dremel is going to give said results, but I am not really one to be concerned because I am not looking at the keyboard while I am gaming :3.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 October 2014, 22:03:58 by NeedAFix »
The Bird of the Hermes is my name,
eating my wings to make me tame.

Offline Owntrolf

Re: Making Clear keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:19:24 »
I tried something similar with my Esc key but I used sandpaper.

Using a dremel seems kind of overkill because you're trying to shave off the key which is already extremely thin.

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:27:09 »
Yeah I know, especially the dremel I am using (as you might be able to see in the pics the a and w keys are somewhat damaged and the work isn't that great looking, but I don't really mind haha.).

I have some different heads for it including buffing sets so I will experiment, I've been meaning to do the whole key set now but just haven't sat down and done it yet. I do have a bit of sandpaper but it seems like more effort than the dremel (I also have sandpaper bits for the dremel, something I might try but from my test on a key the sandpaper seems to scratch too much, requiring finer grits as you proceed and I don't think I have the grit I need.).

The dremel works, these, to me, are practically throw-away keys so I am not too concerned. The keys look a lot better without the paint on the sidewalls, in my opinion anyway.
If I could buy a set of keys like this, I probably would just so they would look nice and not have all of the black marks.

Of course you could use chemicals to remove the stuff and even redo the top of the keys in what you want, but I guess I am not that resourceful of a modder yet. :)

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 19:33:01 »
I personally like under lighting when it comes to keyboard LED's, however I think you created a very good half and half concept. I actually think I'd like it better if the face of the cap was dark and the sides were clear as you have done instead of 100% clear. If you are feeling really ambitious I'd like to see some patterns of paint/nonpaint to make it more flashy!

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 21:06:16 »
Yeah I like how it came out too. As for painting, that isn't something that I do very often so I wouldn't really know what I would want to use -- being keycaps and contacting fingers for extended periods I would prefer to use the least toxic substances possible, obviously.
I do have some concentrated paints that could probably stain the sidewalls certain colors, might try that (but since I can get any color with the leds I don't really need to paint -- I could try the tops of the keycaps or even remove all the keycap coating and paint the letters on for a different look. Most of which is too much for me at this time.) I'm really interested in the cases that people are making; I like the idea of wood and metal, like copper. Copper keycaps with copper plate and case? Silver keycaps, even, haha. It would be interesting to see what could be done with metal and backlighting, would it be possible to create a keycap thin enough that the lighting would shine through or is there some other way around it? Perhaps just the top of the key is metal and the side walls are transparent or something. Lots of ideas, none of which I could afford...hah.

EDIT: Got around to testing a sand paper bit for a slower dremel and it worked a lot better, here are some pics:
1st: The assortment of tools available (not including the case on the right) The dremel on the top is the one I used first, with what seems to be a rock grinding bit.
2nd: This is the Dremel I switched to, which features modes that the other does not. I instead opted for a sandpaper bit and low speed, you can see the results in the third image. That little rock below the dremel is a finishing rock, or at least that is what I am using it for after sanding.
3rd: I just did the Ctrl key which was much easier, faster, and better looking than the other bit. I also cleaned up the D key so you could tell the difference between the dremels and bits results (WSA = old dremel/bit | D Ctrl = New dremel/bit). Plan to do the rest of the keys this way.
4th: The keyboard I am using the keys from, I love seeing those naked brown switches, woo! :3
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 October 2014, 22:15:20 by NeedAFix »

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:19:21 »
Perhaps "paint" was a wrong choice of words. I mean could possibly sand in some designs instead of taking all of the sides off. Example make clear line black line clear line black line down the sides instead of 100% off the sides. Still looks good  :thumb:

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:56:41 »
Yeah I see what you mean, I thought about doing that for special keys like PrtScn/Scroll Lock/Pause. I'd do it for the windows lock key but it isn't a normal keycap on the K70 RGB.

I'll probably do something different for numpad/other keys so I'll post more soon. :) Currently I have the arrows keys and the esc key done in addition to what is above.

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:50:45 »
I'm finished, here are the results (I really like how it turned out):
(Getting internal server error 500 when trying to add attachment, so here is a link):
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:53:08 by NeedAFix »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 22:11:40 »
I'm finished, here are the results (I really like how it turned out):
(Getting internal server error 500 when trying to add attachment, so here is a link):
Show Image

Looks nice I like how they diffuse the backlight
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 04:03:56 »
That actually looks great!  Well done :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 04:35:42 »
Looks good
eh o well

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:46:58 »
Thanks, I am still thinking about doing a full key-set like I mentioned earlier.

That would really light the whole keyboard up with colors. :)
I might post again or update this one with said implementation.

Meanwhile, I've been putting my duds or damaged keys on my other keyboard:
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:51:51 by NeedAFix »

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 19:19:54 »
Alright, now I am really finished!
I love it! The keys seem to feel lighter and are easier to type on, as well.
Thinking about doing my other keyboard but not sure if I want to put in that effort.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 21:00:09 »
Thinking about doing my other keyboard but not sure if I want to put in that effort.

Show Image

That looks pretty cool.

Try to get yourself to a LAN party to show off.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:24:20 »
Very uniform - good job!

Do you find that it is too bright now?  That's a lot more light shining out!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 01:39:09 »

Show Image

Wow, nice modification man. It really shows off the cool lighting, even better than before.  :thumb:

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 08:29:28 »
Very uniform - good job!

Do you find that it is too bright now?  That's a lot more light shining out!

Thanks everyone.

Nah it isn't too bright, I have three levels of brightness and it is on the highest setting in that pic. I love how it really lights the keyboard up with the colors, it looks wonderful in action (might have to take another video to show). I find that before, as you can tell by the screenshots, the unfinished keys are too dark in contrast to the finished ones and so it made me want to do the full keyset.

It really is eye catching and whenever I am idle I find myself staring at it, but it isn't so over the top that I am distracted by it during gaming.

I think Corsair should make a limited edition version like this or somebody should make key-sets that can do this. :)
I've also been thinking about doing the media keys in the top right but they aren't normal key caps and they are somewhat small, so.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 19:06:26 »
I feel like this could be the new underglow :)

Offline Muzi

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 21:46:04 »
nice key caps

Offline NeedAFix

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 20:01:12 »
I feel like this could be the new underglow :)

Yeah, I agree.
I noticed a limited edition K-series keyboard (non-rgb) on newegg with a silver/white plate that would go great with my keys, I don't have that kind of money to throw around though.

nice key caps

Thank you.
Here is a video: * 100_1956.AVI (5257.6 kB - downloaded 294 times.)
It is pretty short, any longer and I can't upload.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 November 2014, 20:23:23 by NeedAFix »

Offline jinq-sea

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 09:45:35 »
That looks ace!

Offline dashing_girlboy

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:17:14 »
they look gorgeous! anyhow i remember seeing some custom keycap sets that look something like this but I cant remember where I saw them.. ><