Author Topic: Cipher Keycaps- has anyone done something similar?  (Read 3485 times)

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
Cipher Keycaps- has anyone done something similar?
« on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:26:35 »
I just got finished designing and ordering two custom keyboards where the keycaps are from two historic ciphers.  They will be used at DEFCON this year and then given away as prizes-

I've seen a Futurama keyboard, and one with Klingon, and I was wondering what other odd keyboards like this have been created?

(Most I assume would use a simple Caesar shift or 1 to 1 substitution cipher alphabet, but with customizable and programmable keyboards these days it would be cool do one with a firmware where a layer could be multi-key encodings, etc...)

Thoughts?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Re: Cipher Keycaps- has anyone done something similar?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:51:37 »
Cool idea, I've always been interested in ciphers. Was doing some reading on the Kryptos cypher at the CIA Headquarters in Langley just the other day, fascinating stuff.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:55:13 »
So did you get custom keyboard or just custom caps, like from WASD keyboards?

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 23:59:31 »
Cool idea, I've always been interested in ciphers. Was doing some reading on the Kryptos cypher at the CIA Headquarters in Langley just the other day, fascinating stuff.

There are several online groups dedicated to study of Kryptos. 

I'm the official cryptographer for DEFCON- I'll be sure to post some pictures of the keyboards after the con in August (can't spoil the fun before hand)-

If you'd like to read the walk-throughs of some of the contests I've run, here are a few (some have started WIKIs based on my contests over the years)-

http://potatohatsecurity.tumblr.com/post/94565729529/defcon-22-badge-challenge-walkthrough 

http://1o57.wikispaces.com/  (I don't have anything to do with this site...)

http://elegin.com/dc21/

It was just custom keycaps...

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 11:41:06 »
Nice to see you here LostBoy. So I can assume that this is a Leg-up n the Crypto Challenge? :evilgrin: :p 

Side Note : Quite like the one from 2 years ago with the dual simple ciphers like Alphanumeric + Rot13 at the beginning and throughout it wasnt too bad. My team got to the end, but alas as the 4th team to do so. Still worth it for the fun!

I think that having a Dvorak keyboard layout internally and a ANSI/Qwerty layout on the outside is more than enough to confuse the crap out of most folks. (This is way I suggest having a key-combo set that will set it to something for more normal folks when someone from work comes over).

The infinity/Ergodox/Orion keyboards might be the best for this since they can be hardcoded with ciphers quite easily and not crazy expensive. Infinity language is open as well which means extra fun may be had.

As some extra, I would think that having different ciphers and clues hidden in different function layers of the keyboard would be really fun/cool.

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 13:05:36 »
lostboy on geekhack woot!

I think another fun thing would be to hide a "trigger" in the firmware, e.g. when the user types a particular string, the keyboard switches to a special function layer, or outputs a string, or blinks an led or something else neat.

if there's anything we can do the help you at DEFCON 23 just ask. I'm returning as a Goon again this year and I'm bringing my soldering iron and a keyboard I want to build while I'm there.

edit: Ivan had a GB for aurebesh keycaps, not sure if that hit MOQ or not.
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 17:06:55 »
admiralvorian,

I believe that there will be a hardware hacking area like in most years, so likely won't need to bring the whole soldering kit, but do bring some solder and flux to be sure to have what you like.

Didn't know that that a "Goon" would chime in here haha! Thats pretty awesome.

Missed last year due to a conflict, but should be there this year. Didn't realize that some of my friends knew a few of the organizers... so it was pretty cool going around to the parties and other late night shenanigans with security detail and "free" drinks! Man do I have some funny hacker-related stories from that! Out of the security biz now as I looked down that Rabbit-hole :-\ asking where do I go from here (staying white hat) with the realization that it meant jumping into something for the rest of my life where I had to hide my work :-X. Doesn't jive with my open source mentality, so switched jobs to another passion of mine built on being open ;D . Bonus is that I am happier now even if it is less "cool" on the outside.  :thumb:

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 18:17:43 »
admiralvorian,

I believe that there will be a hardware hacking area like in most years, so likely won't need to bring the whole soldering kit, but do bring some solder and flux to be sure to have what you like.

Missed last year due to a conflict, but should be there this year. Didn't realize that some of my friends knew a few of the organizers... so it was pretty cool going around to the parties and other late night shenanigans with security detail and "free" drinks! Man do I have some funny hacker-related stories from that! Out of the security biz now as I looked down that Rabbit-hole :-\ asking where do I go from here (staying white hat) with the realization that it meant jumping into something for the rest of my life where I had to hide my work :-X. Doesn't jive with my open source mentality, so switched jobs to another passion of mine built on being open ;D . Bonus is that I am happier now even if it is less "cool" on the outside.  :thumb:

oh I know all bout the HHV ;D

I like my soldering station, though!
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 17:50:37 »

Wow, cool to see people who have competed in my challenges in the past - it's funny running into others on completely different forums-

The challenges are meant to be fun and do-able, just not too easy :)

The Mystery Challenge was a different level of competition....was meant to be more difficult.  The badge challenge has a little something for everyone.  And I've got some traditions that I keep in every year so that fiddlers don't fall off of roofs.... :)

Nice to see you here LostBoy. So I can assume that this is a Leg-up n the Crypto Challenge? :evilgrin: :p 

Side Note : Quite like the one from 2 years ago with the dual simple ciphers like Alphanumeric + Rot13 at the beginning and throughout it wasnt too bad. My team got to the end, but alas as the 4th team to do so. Still worth it for the fun!

I think that having a Dvorak keyboard layout internally and a ANSI/Qwerty layout on the outside is more than enough to confuse the crap out of most folks. (This is way I suggest having a key-combo set that will set it to something for more normal folks when someone from work comes over).

The infinity/Ergodox/Orion keyboards might be the best for this since they can be hardcoded with ciphers quite easily and not crazy expensive. Infinity language is open as well which means extra fun may be had.

As some extra, I would think that having different ciphers and clues hidden in different function layers of the keyboard would be really fun/cool.

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 17:56:05 »
Yes, we will have the hardware hacking village again this year.  I started that village many years ago with Russ Rogers.  If you would like to hear the story of how that village came to be I'm happy to share-

We also have an Internet of Things village, the crypto village, and several others.  The new venue will be lots bigger, so we shouldn't be as crowded.  As is my tradition, this year's badge will be a non-electronic badge (tick-tock cycle of on-again, off-again with the electronic badges)-

It's nice to be a n00b again, and that's what I am here on the GH forums.  Funny that so many of you who have seen my stuff are here...

I think I'm most excited about the Uber badges this year...they are totally different than anything I've done before, and were inspired by some things that will be obvious when you see them.

Please do come and introduce yourselves at DEFCON this year...I'll have my own special room on the conference floor like I always do- that's where I'll have the custom keyboards as well. 

admiralvorian,

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 13:07:22 »
Wow, if YOU are excited about this year's black badge it must really be something special. I can't tell you how blown away I was by the DEFCON 21 Uber Badge. For those that haven't seen it, here are a few shots:

More

I'll be sure to swing by the lostboy room and introduce myself. I'm going to post in another section, see if any other ghers are going this year, too!

p.s. what kind of mechanical keyboard do you use?

p.p.s. please regale us with the tale of the hhv origins
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm