Author Topic: Spacebar much louder than other keys  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Geroximo

Spacebar much louder than other keys
« on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 15:40:25 »
Hi mates,

Poker 2 with MX Blues
OG Cherry PBT caps, damped case

All the keys make a pretty statisfying deep click, bottoming out makes a deep thock. Everything sounds nice and sophisticated.

But the goddamn spacebar ... this thing sounds just cheap and loud and light and is ratteling like some super cheap china plastic.
I already installed an O ring. But it still sounds cheap.

Is there a way how to silence a spacebar, so that it sounds worthy like all the other keys, and not like a cheap piece of china plastic?

« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2015, 16:41:32 by Geroximo »

Offline Reigning Hell

• Forever Fiending 4 a V2
Re: Spacebar much louder than other keys
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 15:52:50 »
I have a poker 2, I know exactly what you mean. Every key sounds fine, even all of the mods; but the spacebar just sounds so clunky.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 19:49:56 »
Maybe try putting small squares of plastic over the stabiliser stems (and/or switch) before you install the space bar.   Might make it a bit tighter.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 10:49:57 »
I silenced mine using an IMSTO ball, you could do the same with a segment of oring, just be sure its diameter goes inside the internal tube of the switch. It works like charm.