Author Topic: Which Rocketeer set would be preferred by most Planck users?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline zslane

Which Rocketeer set would be preferred by most Planck users?
« on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 10:59:07 »
In looking around the Internet at photos of Plancks, I see that it is not uncommon for users to go for the "wraparound mods" look where the central block of alphas are one color while being surrounded by another color. How dominant is this aesthetic goal among Planck users?

This poses a bit of a kit composition dilemma for a prospective keyset like Hermes Rocketeer which is heavy on concept and relegates the second green color only to modifier keys (and the Return key). For instance, below is a render of what I believe Rocketeer ought to look like on a Planck:

155823-0

As you can see, only those keys which had no analog on a Hermes Rocket typewriter are in the secondary color, VAF. The ESC key I could go either way on color-wise, but for now I have it in VCO light green.

Contrast with the "wraparound" look in which some keys that should be light VCO green according to the concept of the keyset are changed to the "modifier" VAF green. I also added a special spacebar key with a ribbon legend just for kicks.

155825-1

Which of the two would Planck users prefer? The one that remains faithful to the keyset's concept, or the one that strays from the concept but allows for the wraparound look?

Offline scwoopz

Re: Which Rocketeer set would be preferred by most Planck users?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 13:11:47 »
I don't have a planck, but I'm waiting on a Let's Split, and what I can say is that I much prefer wehre the modifiers don't wrap around. There's only one case in which I like it and that is the Nantucket Selectric Blank Planck Keycaps. I do suppose that the wrap around might look cool on a Let's Split, though.

Regardless, I think the line on the spacebar is a little funky
ortho or shmortho