Author Topic: Thermaltake new switch?  (Read 3374 times)

Offline gameaholic

Thermaltake new switch?
« on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 12:38:54 »
What's this about thermaltake designing their own switches?  The guy in the video wasn't able to tell between blues and their switch. 

IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Thermaltake new switch?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 13:48:02 »
Wow....Tt may be the first to offer keycaps....unless that deal between CM and SP works out....

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 13:59:26 »
What's this about thermaltake designing their own switches?  The guy in the video wasn't able to tell between blues and their switch. 

OT, but does anyone know why 90% of youtube videos are black for me? I can double tap and view in full-screen, but that's it... >.<

Edit: Deleted cookies, caches, everything... reinstalled flash and chrome - nothing worked.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 14:06:59 »

OT, but does anyone know why 90% of youtube videos are black for me? I can double tap and view in full-screen, but that's it... >.<

Edit: Deleted cookies, caches, everything... reinstalled flash and chrome - nothing worked.

Try disabling hardware acceleration in the player...

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 18:16:10 »
Not new things
But I like the white case red switch keyboard showcased in the video.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 18:32:40 »

I couldn't find additional information on them. Apparently they feel like the MX blue :-)

Did Cherry MX Patent expired after 60 years so now the design could be bluntly cloned?

In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 18:33:05 »
1) Is there some sort of demand for huge enter keys that I'm unaware of?  Why do they keep doing this?

2) Keyboard companies still insist on having membranes in their line up and that's cool - because some people are not Cherry MX Fans; but why won't anyone make a tenkeyless model?  The Microsoft X6 was the last one you could get where you could take off the num pad but for some reason this segment is being completely ignored.  Yes I know the Nova Touch is coming out but that's likely two bills.

3) Why spend the money and research on cloning someone elses mass produced switch?  Why not try cloning an ergo clear, jail house blue, 55g linear, or bringing back cherry pin compatible Orange or Green Alps?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 18:48:38 »

I couldn't find additional information on them. Apparently they feel like the MX blue :-)

Did Cherry MX Patent expired after 60 years so now the design could be bluntly cloned?

I think you are thinking of copyright (which is a little longer in the USA). Patents usually expire after 20 years (though there are exceptions to this) I think the topre and cherry patents have expired, or will expire soon. not sure
1) Is there some sort of demand for huge enter keys that I'm unaware of?  Why do they keep doing this?

2) Keyboard companies still insist on having membranes in their line up and that's cool - because some people are not Cherry MX Fans; but why won't anyone make a tenkeyless model?  The Microsoft X6 was the last one you could get where you could take off the num pad but for some reason this segment is being completely ignored.  Yes I know the Nova Touch is coming out but that's likely two bills.

3) Why spend the money and research on cloning someone elses mass produced switch?  Why not try cloning an ergo clear, jail house blue, 55g linear, or bringing back cherry pin compatible Orange or Green Alps?
1. I've never understood it either, but they seem to be a lot more common on 'keyboards-of-a-certain-age' made in asia for some reason.
2. There's tons of TKL membrane kbs.. ?
3. The only thing I can think of is that they'd rather go with what's known rather than with something esoteric that might not sell. It really comes down to how conservative the company is. Everyone needs to innovate to survive, but if you go too crazy, it won't sell and no-one wants a loss.

Me, I'm not convinved it's at all similar to a blue internally. I wouldn't expect a "normal" person to be able to determine a blue from a tactile gourd spring from a clicky hitek from matias clicky just by feel.

Offline jabar

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 18:50:14 »
bigass enter keys are very popular in mainland China

Tt is doing it on the cheap, who cares about a 5 year warranty when MX keyboards last 4x as much by default.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 18:58:03 »
2. There's tons of TKL membrane kbs.. ?
3. The only thing I can think of is that they'd rather go with what's known rather than with something esoteric that might not sell. It really comes down to how conservative the company is. Everyone needs to innovate to survive, but if you go too crazy, it won't sell and no-one wants a loss.

Me, I'm not convinved it's at all similar to a blue internally. I wouldn't expect a "normal" person to be able to determine a blue from a tactile gourd spring from a clicky hitek from matias clicky just by feel.

What I meant was nobody is trying to put out a decent tenkeyless membrane keyboard - this format is being completely ignored for whatever reason.

I understand a company wanting to be conservative but as a consumer what are they offering that you can't get somewhere else?

Offline dante

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 19:01:13 »
Tt is doing it on the cheap, who cares about a 5 year warranty when MX keyboards last 4x as much by default.

I used to drink the kool-aid but not anymore.  Not a week goes by on GH that doesn't involve some sort of MX debounce issue.

On the flip side I've been on GH since 2010/2011 ish and I've yet to read about a single failure on a Topre switch.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 19:03:34 »
I actually like the huge enter key. I might be the only one, but I do like it...

Price could be an issue, but also, control of supply...it seems to be very common for one or another color of common switch to be out of stock from Cherry, and I wouldn't blame companies for not wanting to be at the mercy of that.

That said, I'm not sure yet that the tT switch will really be "new". After all, in the past, they made a big deal about having developed the "plunger switch" in their "Knuckler" model, even though it was actually neither new nor exclusive. I wouldn't be surprised if the "new switch" turned out to be just unbranded or rebranded Kailhs. Wouldn't be the first time we've seen that, either. Thus, more information is required before I will be sure that tT has actually developed their own switch.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 19:05:03 »
http://www.overclock.net/t/1455849/steelseries-apex-mini

I saw this at overclock.net, seems like SteelSeries is coming out with their own switch too.

Maybe companies finally got tired of paying Cherry for switches.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:02:02 »
Team DK <3
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:14:56 »
I doubt they are really their own switch... just more Kailh probably.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:18:05 »
I doubt they are really their own switch... just more Kailh probably.

^^ Kind of what I was thinking.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 23:13:32 »

2)The Microsoft X6 was the last one you could get where you could take off the num pad but for some reason this segment is being completely ignored.  Yes I know the Nova Touch is coming out but that's likely two bills.

Still have that keyboard working beautifully with an old AMD 939 setup, the X6 keyboard is more than five years old now, who said membrane only keyboards never lasted long?

Mind you it was the best ever Microsoft keyboard ever built.  Still love that beast in a perverse kind of way  :thumb: .