Author Topic: [IC] Lodestone - a Gasket and MagLev mount 65% - Prototypes in Production  (Read 131468 times)

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
Is there going to be any shielding that stops the field from extending outside the case? Whilst unlikely to be harmful to anything, it might be annoying to have random things like pen lids or paperclips stick to the casing. Overall probably just a quirk and not a big deal.

No. I will issue a small disclaimer when the GB runs to be careful with watches etc however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
Will there be any hot swap option?

Very unlikely - given the mounting solution I’d prefer the switches to be as secure as possible

Offline kimcames

so hyped

Offline Sabin

man would have loved a hotswap option as i feeling like indulged in soldiering enough.. i'm now really looking for a premium with wide bezels 65% kb with hotswap :(

Offline bobdenard

man would have loved a hotswap option as i feeling like indulged in soldiering enough.. i'm now really looking for a premium with wide bezels 65% kb with hotswap :(
M65-B by Rama seems to fit the bill. Might be some extras for sale in a few months.

Offline Sabin

M65-B by Rama seems to fit the bill. Might be some extras for sale in a few months.

Thanks. Missed out on that and u80, didn't realise they would be having another round

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
Hey folks. The latest proto is in and it addresses most of the concerns we had with the first. Still some tweaks needed and some parts are not using final materials but the board now works as intended.

I’ll actually be showing some of the details of lodestone off as part of my usual build stream later today (8pm uk, 3pm EST, noon PST Twitch.tv/TopClack)

Feel free to come and check it out if it interests you :)

Offline reaLFX

Great project, wish there was a hot swap pcb!

Offline Clay333

I would love to try this mounting system, but can't do the chunky bezels. Hopefully it will turn out good and a more traditional shaped case with a similar mounting system will come out in the future. Good luck.

Offline foysauce_

Big fan of this design, I actually like the bezels. It's like you know something unique is going on under the hood. Really hope this can reach GB, so I can get one!

Offline OmniSzron

I've watched the stream, the prototype looks gorgeous and the mounting system... works! It's actually kind of amazing how much action the keys and the plate have with this mount and it isn't actual flex. Nice work, guys.
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline Primal

Woah that's a very cool design, definetly interested
The orange looks gorgeous

Offline Ldar1

I'm super interested in this board, it looks so awesome

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
I would love to try this mounting system, but can't do the chunky bezels. Hopefully it will turn out good and a more traditional shaped case with a similar mounting system will come out in the future. Good luck.

Bezels are needed for the maglev system - it wouldnt work with our implementation with narrower bezels sadly

Offline booleanjulien

Would love to see a future version with maglevs on both top and bottom mounts, free-floating. I want to feel like I'm typing on a hoverboard.

Offline mrkantz

Finally got to watch the stream and now I'm way more excited for this. A lot more movement than I was imagining, super cool stuff.

Offline Tainado

The thick bezel is what drawn me into this ! And MagLev of course !

Hoping to see some unusual color ...for the unusual mounting board :))

Oh and +1 Vote for WKL Top option
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2020, 21:03:02 by Tainado »

Offline grundlemere

Very interesting mounting! Typing test when?

Offline FlitzDeelman

Will Salvun be doing the manufacturing of the GB?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline FlitzDeelman

The advantage of designing for the magnets is it forces you to design the keyboard with thicc bezels!

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
Will Salvun be doing the manufacturing of the GB?

Salvun will be manufacturing the production version of the board. 2 Rounds of Prototypes have been completed - the latest shown on stream on Sunday just gone (Link below)

The thick bezel is what drawn me into this ! And MagLev of course !

Hoping to see some unusual color ...for the unusual mounting board :))

Oh and +1 Vote for WKL Top option

Prob not WKL - but Orange is def the 'hero' colourway to run this in, and what the protos were made in.

Very interesting mounting! Typing test when?

So I showed off the movement on the current proto build (link below), but next is to wait on sime final parts in new materials and then to do a full build stream and typing test

Last Sunday I showed off the lodestone prototype v2 on stream. you can see it here:

(timestamp is 29:25 into the stream until 45:04) Movement is shown at 32:27, 35:11, 37:11, 38:30, 39:01 and 45:00

As soon as the final parts arrive, there will be a build stream and typing test. For now the board is on its way to Flex for him to take a look, complete a full build and do some testing.

More news when we have it....

Offline whricom

This board looks STUNNING!  It seriously has me interested, and that's saying a lot considering I won't go lower than 75% because I need my F row.  Are there any plans in the future for a 75% version of the board? (PLEASE)

I can't look away, it just has me hypnotized!

Offline syke

you got my attention

Offline Retne

Wow.  I thought maglev was a bit of a gimmick when I originally read the IC but after seeing the proto Jae showed off on stream I'm sold.  I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these.

Offline L8T

Very pretty keyboard with super interesting mounting mechanism. My only issue are the colors, iirc it is orange, lime green and a mystery color. Ill probably end up cerakoting it stormtrooper white or black so it shdnt be that big a deal.

Offline Jinho

• hello
    • i used to build keyboards
mounting system is so so so so so cool

even though im not the biggest fan of thicc bezels, im in for this just for the typing experience
iu / jinsoul / xiyeon / ogre / nunu / 378 / x60 v2 / derivative / unikorn hk / lamy / calliope / dolice / harbour / xeno / 87u

Offline UMichHockey

Really excited for this. Hopefully the group buy starts soon and I can get one!

Offline keyboardkrill

Hey Jae and Flex, awesome work on this. Always look forward to your updates. Quick question, have you all given any thought to alps compatible pcb & plate for this?

Offline ISOxSwap

I really want one!  But I feer my wallet won't approve. :-\

Offline krikun98

Man, this is awesome. Even the USB plug doesn't restrict the maglev... An incredible amount if thought went into this.
Any plans for other layouts? I'm more of a 40% guy, but I really want to try this mount out.

Offline ken.cult

My god. I'm in love with the concept and design of this board. PLEASE make this happen. Would love one in proper British Racing Green but that E-White render is making me drool. Insanely clean design. Well done boys. I will do everything I can to get one of these

Offline Balloz

• Hardcore keyboard enthusiast
Can't wait to join the GB! Such a beautiful board!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Hey guys.  Any more updates for us?

Offline rikercd

I demand this. Add me to the demand. Thanks.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
Hey guys.  Any more updates for us?

The latest proto is in as per my last post and stream. ATM the board is with Flex for him to test as I had the board for a short while.

Right now thats a slow process as Flex is in the process of QC and shipping of his FLX Virgo board, so I'm keen to give him time and space to keep up his solid work ethic on those boards. We will get back on this as time allows.

Offline FlitzDeelman

Right now thats a slow process as Flex is in the process of QC and shipping of his FLX Virgo board, so I'm keen to give him time and space to keep up his solid work ethic on those boards.

Thanks for the update. Things had gone quiet here and on Apogee, so I was preparing to be disappointed. But there's no hurry, as long as it will still happen.

Offline ssmanxman

Finally made an account here just to follow this board. Looks stunning. Can't wait!

Offline thestateofmay

are the bezels super thick to accommodate the magnets?

Also, I favor the design without the top right blocker. Since the bezels are super thick, a blocker on the right stands out very distinctly.

Offline bakuretsu

Bezels are needed for the maglev system - it wouldnt work with our implementation with narrower bezels sadly

:|

Offline thestateofmay

:|

I used to day dream about having the perfect keyboard, and in my imaginations, the board had magnetic levitations. Really hope this turns out well.

Offline dmatx1

Things had gone quiet here and on Apogee, so I was preparing to be disappointed.
Apogee is alive too.

Offline perry4761

take my money already

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
Really interesting board and great design.  I am looking forward to this when it is available.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline FlitzDeelman

I used to day dream about having the perfect keyboard, and in my imaginations, the board had magnetic levitations. Really hope this turns out well.

Was that after watching Back to the Future II?

“GASKETS?! Where we’re going, we don’t need GASKETS!!”

(...except on the top. But those don’t count. So much.)

Can we get a flux capacitor logo? It should go nicely with Gok’s upcoming keyboard KITT (Type K)...

Offline KeebCalmAndCarryOn

Definitely interested.

Offline Llamakob

Having been lurking around for a while on this board I must say that the design has really grown on me. Probably in for one when GB comes around.

Offline Arcitan

• pain peko
Re: [IC] Lodestone - a Gasket and MagLev mount 65% - Prototypes in Production
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 23:12:13 »
Incredible stuff. The typing experience must be insane. I'm in!
TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Jane V2 | TGR x TM Jane v1.5 | Kepler | PC TGR 910 RE | Bauer | Iron165 | 2x Volcano660 (White + Black) | TGR x Singa Unikorn | LZ Physix | Rukia | Geonworks F1-8X | Polaris

Offline XHE

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 13:54:44 »
Oh yeah, so in!

Offline Nlvek

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:20:37 »
Wow! Hype for a typing test.

Offline santela

« Reply #199 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 11:45:11 »
Just watched the stream, I am extremely impressed! This is probably the most interesting board I have seen. I really hope the GB will be unlimited so I'll get to try this innovative mounting method and the new typing experience.