Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 614045 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1600 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 21:05:23 »
Any opinions as to whether VirtualBox or VMware Workstation Player (ie. the free one) would be better for running a lightweight, desktop instance of Linux?

I'd go with VirtualBox, simply because it's the full version with all capabilities.

I do use it a lot, mostly on Mac hosts with Windows and Linux clients.  Works well.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline m3ll3n

« Reply #1601 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 17:33:24 »
i'm an arch guy  :thumb:

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1602 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 23:18:46 »
Any opinions as to whether VirtualBox or VMware Workstation Player (ie. the free one) would be better for running a lightweight, desktop instance of Linux?

Definitely virtualbox. Perhaps it's just because it's what I'm used to, but I found it was much easier to get things set up and working properly than using VMWare player
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1603 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 00:05:16 »
My puppy/i3 started to get a bit funky so I kinda dove headfirst into SUSEstudio. I finally have an OS on a usb drive that won't load into ram at startup yet it saves all changes.

Offline No_joke

« Reply #1604 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 14:33:39 »
Sadly I have to use Windows at work (MSVC...) even though I consider myself much more of a linux guy.
At home I'm running arch because the wiki is so great and the package manger is soo good.  ;D

Offline iri

« Reply #1605 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 19:16:33 »
But, systemd :(
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #1606 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 19:50:54 »
Ubuntu, I keep it simple

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1607 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 20:09:43 »
Ubuntu, I keep it simple

< insert elitist definition of simplicity here >
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1608 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 20:24:27 »
Ubuntu, I keep it simple

I just borked my Manjaro/i3 by updating Linux Mint. Same HDD, different partitions.. I'm feelin' some Ubuntu right about now :'(

edit - grub was acting up. dang
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 March 2017, 03:24:35 by csmertx »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1609 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:02:31 »
But, systemd :(

You kinda get used to systemd, although I do sometimes miss simply grepping log files.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1610 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 08:25:14 »
Ubuntu, I keep it simple

I'm pretty sure that clean and simple is the selling point of every new or updated Linux distro at the moment.  In fact, they are so clean and simple that I can't find anything and the whole cleanliness is ruined because I have a bunch of windows open at any one time.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline drakche

« Reply #1611 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 08:42:05 »
Hi guy.
Mint and Antergos Arch user here.

Linux user for the last 10ish or so years :)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1612 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 12:40:11 »
Hi guy.

How do you like Antergos?  Work smoothly for the most part?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1613 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 15:36:28 »
Hi guy.

I've found both to be quite good.
I like Antergos, it's a tad faster than Mint (just barely), but it's a quite a bit less noob friendly and much more likely to trash itself.

Antergos is great, but it tends to be far more on the bleeding edge so odds of you downloading an update that kills it, is far more likely, and when it does, the support channel is not nearly what Mint/Ubuntu's is because Antergos is based on Arch and Arch expects you to know what you are doing. So instead of someone handing you a solution in a forum post, you end up trolling the bug lists and trying to figure out the problem. While easy to install, upkeep and troubleshooting is still Arch Linux and not for the feint of heart.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline drakche

« Reply #1614 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 16:49:42 »
Yeah. It is more or less like that.

I always try to find an alternative for cinnamon and mint, but the stability and customisation and speed always pulls me back.

They made a kick ass job of it. And I'll probably will always​ be my go to distro.

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1615 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 17:02:42 »
How is Linux Mint with Cinnamon speedy? So far Linux Mint with Cinnamon is one of the bulkiest distros I've tried. Stable and easy customization yes, but I wouldn't call it speedy.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1616 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 19:02:29 »
Hi guy.

I've found both to be quite good.
I like Antergos, it's a tad faster than Mint (just barely), but it's a quite a bit less noob friendly and much more likely to trash itself.

Antergos is great, but it tends to be far more on the bleeding edge so odds of you downloading an update that kills it, is far more likely, and when it does, the support channel is not nearly what Mint/Ubuntu's is because Antergos is based on Arch and Arch expects you to know what you are doing. So instead of someone handing you a solution in a forum post, you end up trolling the bug lists and trying to figure out the problem. While easy to install, upkeep and troubleshooting is still Arch Linux and not for the feint of heart.

Yeah. It is more or less like that.

I always try to find an alternative for cinnamon and mint, but the stability and customisation and speed always pulls me back.

They made a kick ass job of it. And I'll probably will always​ be my go to distro.

Thanks for the replies.  I've tried Antergos and like it, but I prefer more hand-holding and don't need bleeding edge for my Linux usage.  For what it's worth, I have been using Manjaro for probably six months now and had very few issues that I didn't cause myself.  I know that it's not as pure Arch as something like Antergos, but I like it for what it is.

And I agree, Linux Mint does a great job for what it is trying to accomplish.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1617 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 19:05:09 »
Just went through another void install and it reminded me again of why i like it so much.
if i need a distro with EVERYTHING i'll use slackware. for anything else void fits in very well.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1618 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 20:07:15 »
Thanks for the replies.  I've tried Antergos and like it, but I prefer more hand-holding and don't need bleeding edge for my Linux usage.  For what it's worth, I have been using Manjaro for probably six months now and had very few issues that I didn't cause myself.  I know that it's not as pure Arch as something like Antergos, but I like it for what it is.

Use what works for you.
Don't let the hardcore crowd tell you you "need" to be using something else.

How is Linux Mint with Cinnamon speedy? So far Linux Mint with Cinnamon is one of the bulkiest distros I've tried. Stable and easy customization yes, but I wouldn't call it speedy.
I've never seen an issue with speed on it.
Are there faster? Of course, but I've never really seen it run slower than any other distros, including light weight ones.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1619 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 20:31:29 »

Use what works for you.

Are there faster? Of course, but I've never really seen it run slower than any other distros, including light weight ones.

In my experience, it runs about that same as Gnome/KDE/Mate when I turn off compositing, animations, etc. Something changed somewhere between 2012 and now. Mint 13 with Cinnamon used less system resources iirc

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1620 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 23:28:48 »

Use what works for you.

In my experience, it runs about that same as Gnome/KDE/Mate when I turn off compositing, animations, etc. Something changed somewhere between 2012 and now. Mint 13 with Cinnamon used less system resources iirc
That could be par of it, I turn off animations right away on any os I use.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline drakche

« Reply #1621 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 14:05:23 »
No animations whatsoever.
I run it totally plain.
And from 4gb i3 machines, to 32gb monsters it works like a breeze.

Idling, it's about the same as a Gnome for RAM usage, at least on things I've tried.

Offline drakche

« Reply #1622 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 15:56:57 »
Oh my god.
I haven't used windows since w7.

And just today built a new living room pc for gaming...

W10 is horrendous​.

Why...

As soon as I fix up thr PSU I'm dual booting this baby.

On another note, every game I own on ultra high is amazing.

I just needed to share my frustrations.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1623 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 22:24:51 »
Did anyone use the (now defunct) distro CrunchBang?

I heard about it on a podcast and tried it - it was great, but I needed something else at the time and so removed it.

Later on when I went back to try it again it had gone away for good.

Offline northpark

« Reply #1624 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 00:45:24 »
I wouldn't call myself a "user," but I'm trying to deploy Mattermost on an Ubuntu server and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1625 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 00:59:07 »

I heard about it on a podcast and tried it - it was great, but I needed something else at the time and so removed it.

I did, for several years. Nice little lightweight distro. When it went by the wayside, I made myself a minimal, openbox-based Debian Jessie install for my main rig. While that's no longer my primary machine, I really enjoyed it.

If you're interested in something along the same lines, take a look at BunsenLabs or Crunchbang++. BunsenLabs seems to be a bit more actively maintained.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1626 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 13:48:25 »

If you're interested in something along the same lines, take a look at BunsenLabs or Crunchbang++. BunsenLabs seems to be a bit more actively maintained.

I was going to say this, but user 18 beat me to the punch.  I tried BunsneLabs and liked it, but Openbox is not my favorite thing, I prefer a tiling window manger or traditional DE over a stacking window manager like Openbox.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1627 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 21:25:19 »

i was pretty into crunchbang for a while. i even made one of the wallpapers that shipped with it for a long time :O

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1628 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 22:02:35 »
I did, for several years. Nice little lightweight distro. When it went by the wayside, I made myself a minimal, openbox-based Debian Jessie install for my main rig. While that's no longer my primary machine, I really enjoyed it.

I noted that there were some replacements, but my need for a minimal distro has expired.  For what it was at the time it was great!

i was pretty into crunchbang for a while. i even made one of the wallpapers that shipped with it for a long time :O

Awesome!  Great that the community can contribute to a distro in ways like that, especially the artwork that would be seen by thousands or more people everywhere.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1629 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 07:11:08 »
So did anyone else hear the news?  Unity is dead.  Ubuntu is giing back to GNOME as the default desktop.

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1630 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 16:33:35 »
So did anyone else hear the news?  Unity is dead.  Ubuntu is giing back to GNOME as the default desktop.

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/

Sure did. Sounds like a good idea to me. A few days ago I installed the new vanilla Arch iso via WM. Gnome behaved really well.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #1631 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 16:48:49 »

YES! #! was one of my favorite distros! I loved the ez flat file configs, and conky....mmmmm conkyssssss...
I've tried bunsenlabs and #!++, but I dunno... they just haven't felt the same.

I'm still looking for a distro to stick with, I've just been using ubuntu+mint right now with gnome (good riddance unity) I'll have to scroll through this thread some more, and give some a shot when I have more time.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1632 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 03:47:23 »

Doesn't bother me that much tbh. I always liked gnome.

Offline Jhors2

« Reply #1633 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 17:03:10 »
Ubuntu, just because of ease of use and community support for most HTPC packages using deb.
Duck Blackbird | Duck LSv3 | Duck Unicorn X Legend |  TX-75 | Mira SE | LZ-CP | LZ Iron | LZ Ergo | Duck Jet Fire | OTD 360 Corsa Apple Silver | TGR-910 CE

Incoming: Zeal Zephyr | Duck TC-V3 | Singa R2 | LZ GH v2 | Noxary 280 S | Noxary 220 S

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #1634 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 01:19:37 »
Since October 2015 my PC is sporting Arch as main OS, yesterday I switched to LTS kernel. Not that many thing broke using the latest kernel all the time, but things like hibernate mode for example sometimes work, sometimes not. But in general I still like it, and learning all the time. What I like most is that I can read on the Wiki, and it feels like sitting in front of the PC :)
... ...

Offline profanum429

« Reply #1635 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 15:46:00 »
I started with Slackware a long time ago and then eventually migrated to Arch which is where I've stayed for the past number of years. I enjoy it :)

Offline iri

« Reply #1636 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 10:29:24 »
My wife's laptop, which runs Mint 17, would call a random Skype contact on wake up... Without unlocking. Or even showing a log in window. Or any other controls.

I decided that this behaviour is unacceptable and moved on with my quest after a usable Linux distro. The next one I installed for her this morning is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I already saw two bugs: the UI says the current keyboard layout is 'En' while it's actually 'Ru', and bluetooth settings not showing any devices around while bluetooth itself actually works (I've checked that with bluetoothctl).
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1637 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 16:35:58 »
My wife's laptop, which runs Mint 17, would call a random Skype contact on wake up... Without unlocking. Or even showing a log in window. Or any other controls.
This sounds like a Skype bug (shocker!). Don;'t forget, underneath Mint is Ubuntu, so your new system could very well have the same bug.

I finished my Mac experiments and have gone back to Linux (glad that's over).
I keep coming back to Antergos, so long as you run LTS and not bleeding edge, it works fantastic. All of the benefits of Arch and Ubuntu/Mint, without the hassle.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iri

« Reply #1638 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 18:03:15 »
This sounds like a Skype bug (shocker!).
The machine wakes up, but there's no login screen in the X session and no available controls.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline lzrdwzrd

« Reply #1639 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 18:14:13 »
Parabola GNU/Linux libre with i3gaps and XFCE for laptop.

Debian stretch on desktop with the same window managers.
SteelSeriesLeopoldZowie
6gV2 (mx black)FC660C/EGFK1

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1640 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 07:39:17 »
This sounds like a Skype bug (shocker!). Don;'t forget, underneath Mint is Ubuntu, so your new system could very well have the same bug.

I finished my Mac experiments and have gone back to Linux (glad that's over).
I keep coming back to Antergos, so long as you run LTS and not bleeding edge, it works fantastic. All of the benefits of Arch and Ubuntu/Mint, without the hassle.

What do you mean by "Mac experiments"?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1641 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 17:10:11 »
I was running Mac laptop (nothing PC competes with the 11in Air) and built a hackintosh for a bit but it was more to see if it stuck.
It didn't.

One interesting thing to note...
Compared to Linux and Windows, Macs do not scale well. While they are very memory efficient (better than Linux and Windows), adding a faster processor, drive and even more memory did very little in terms of performance gains.

I'll probably be doing a write up on the experience soon, probably be a good read for those considering an OS swap as I'm well versed in Mac (and Hackintosh), Linux and Windows.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1642 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 17:18:53 »
I was running Mac laptop (nothing PC competes with the 11in Air) and built a hackintosh for a bit but it was more to see if it stuck.
It didn't.

Compared to Linux and Windows, Macs do not scale well. While they are very memory efficient (better than Linux and Windows), adding a faster processor, drive and even more memory did very little in terms of performance gains.

I'll probably be doing a write up on the experience soon, probably be a good read for those considering an OS swap as I'm well versed in Mac (and Hackintosh), Linux and Windows.

Lately I've developed a desire to know more about Unixy systems. I'd sign up to read that. The last Apple desktop I used was a G3 back when it was still relevant in the Mac world. IIRC it wasn't a bad experience at all.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1643 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 06:37:11 »
It didn't.

Interesting you say that. My "true" mac is a late 2010 MacBook Pro. Recently, I built a hackintosh for my mom: i5 6500 3.2 GHz, 16GB DDR4 2333 MHz, Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB, and the Asus H170 Pro. I expected it to be amazingly fast with OS X. You know... not mobile hardware like all Apple products except the Mac Pro (iMac, Mac Mini all use mobile versions of intel hardware and graphics).

I always first install xubuntu or some other linux to see how the system performs. It was sick fast. Fast boot, instant everything.

Then I installed Sierra. There is noticeable lag with EVERYTHING. *click* system preferences --> 4 second wait. *click* finder --> 3 second wait. *click* safari already open, new window --> 2 second wait.

Why is it not instant? Why the wait? It really feels like vista. I mean, why has OS X been so slow since Yosemite? Why is an UI make-over so taxing on the OS's performance?

Offline bastones

« Reply #1644 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 13:37:50 »
It didn't.

Interesting you say that. My "true" mac is a late 2010 MacBook Pro. Recently, I built a hackintosh for my mom: i5 6500 3.2 GHz, 16GB DDR4 2333 MHz, Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB, and the Asus H170 Pro. I expected it to be amazingly fast with OS X. You know... not mobile hardware like all Apple products except the Mac Pro (iMac, Mac Mini all use mobile versions of intel hardware and graphics).

I always first install xubuntu or some other linux to see how the system performs. It was sick fast. Fast boot, instant everything.

Then I installed Sierra. There is noticeable lag with EVERYTHING. *click* system preferences --> 4 second wait. *click* finder --> 3 second wait. *click* safari already open, new window --> 2 second wait.

Why is it not instant? Why the wait? It really feels like vista. I mean, why has OS X been so slow since Yosemite? Why is an UI make-over so taxing on the OS's performance?

I have an iMac with similar hardware to yours - i5 6500 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 1867 MHz, 1 TB 7200-rpm - and I definitely notice how resource-heavy newer versions of OS X are. My first Apple computer was a Mac mini running Mac OS X Tiger and I never recall the operating system - particularly the user interface - being quite as resource-heavy as it is today.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1645 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 18:09:23 »
It didn't.

I think Apple is gimping their systems intentionally, or at least ignoring it.
It's possible Apple is primarily focused on efficiency in order to facilitate the switch to ARM chips without a performance loss. Doing so however may be crippling high end performance.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1646 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 18:12:57 »
It didn't.

I think Apple is gimping their systems intentionally, or at least ignoring it.
It's possible Apple is primarily focused on efficiency in order to facilitate the switch to ARM chips without a performance loss. Doing so however may be crippling high end performance.

Interesting. I could completely see that being true.

Regards high end, let's be honest. Except for the outdated mac pro, all apple computers have mobile tech (intel, graphics). sure, they bench in high. But if you push macs to the limit, fan kicks in, they become hot, and they throttle.

When my i7-6700k does heavy crunching it is still inaudible. When I do "brew update" on my mac, I am afraid it will fly out of my window so loud as it is.

Offline iri

« Reply #1647 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 05:52:55 »
My macbook is completely silent on brew update.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1648 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 06:27:58 »

What MacBook do you have?

Offline iri

« Reply #1649 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 13:27:53 »

What MacBook do you have?
MacBook Pro, mid 2014, i7 3GHz, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3, Intel Iris 1536MB, Yosemite.

-Ray Bradbury