Author Topic: [IC] GMK Heisei (ON HOLD)  (Read 38945 times)

Offline nguyenhimself

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (GB OPEN 6/1/2018)
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 20:20:26 »
All,

It is with sadness that I put this on indefinite hold. Between the start of this interest check and now there have been a large number of GMK sets that have been teased and run. Most, if not all, of them barely met their MoQs and I'm not comfortable with running the group buy given the current market saturation. My apologies to everyone who got their hopes up.

Feel free to continue discussing the set because I would still very much like to run it. Soon^tm.

I don't blame you, there are a bunch of sets in progress or planned with Hiragana sublegends now, and a lot of sets in general.  However I'm not sure it will get any better with the number of concurrent group buys for various GMK (and other keycap makers') sets--the number of GBs just keeps going up, as there are more and more people interested in getting custom keycaps for their keyboards.  I wonder if at some point it begins to make sense to just run buys for addon, complimentary/complementary sets that are not full kits.

Ahem...
Alphas only ;D
Yeah jk. F

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 01:52:38 »
All,

It is with sadness that I put this on indefinite hold. Between the start of this interest check and now there have been a large number of GMK sets that have been teased and run. Most, if not all, of them barely met their MoQs and I'm not comfortable with running the group buy given the current market saturation. My apologies to everyone who got their hopes up.

Feel free to continue discussing the set because I would still very much like to run it. Soon^tm.

I don't blame you, there are a bunch of sets in progress or planned with Hiragana sublegends now, and a lot of sets in general.  However I'm not sure it will get any better with the number of concurrent group buys for various GMK (and other keycap makers') sets--the number of GBs just keeps going up, as there are more and more people interested in getting custom keycaps for their keyboards.  I wonder if at some point it begins to make sense to just run buys for addon, complimentary/complementary sets that are not full kits.

> I wonder if at some point it begins to make sense to just run buys for addon, complimentary/complementary sets that are not full kits.
Makes sense.  More focused approach.  Sidestep competition and complement many L9/U9 sets out there.

Offline superhot

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (ON HOLD)
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 04:20:21 »
F'd

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 04:35:27 »
I wonder if at some point it begins to make sense to just run buys for addon, complimentary/complementary sets that are not full kits.

Yes... and no

It would make it a lot more affordable for established members of the community to get stuff they want, but it would also mean that people who don't own the compatible base set (new people, people who didn't like the set back then, etc.) would have to pay aftermarket prices (which only the minority would be willing to do) or mix it with a different set they own (which might not colormatch as well, also turns two things into one) or just skip it in which case they don't contribute to MOQ. Remember, the people that have thousands of dollars in GMK caps at home are a really small minority.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense either way, for example: I do own a set of 9009 which would be color compatible with this if it was an alphas-only run, but that would leave me with an additional set of alphas that's basically useless. If I'd "just buy a modset" for those alphas I'd still end up with a lot of missing keys while probably spending more money in total than on a full keyset.

Offline blacksimon

• illuminati.works
    • illuminati.works
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 06:44:35 »
well, guess I'm getting that massdrop set now  :'(

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 09:38:12 »
well, guess I'm getting that massdrop set now  :'(

Sure you will.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 10:53:47 »
I wonder if at some point it begins to make sense to just run buys for addon, complimentary/complementary sets that are not full kits.

Yes... and no

It would make it a lot more affordable for established members of the community to get stuff they want, but it would also mean that people who don't own the compatible base set (new people, people who didn't like the set back then, etc.) would have to pay aftermarket prices (which only the minority would be willing to do) or mix it with a different set they own (which might not colormatch as well, also turns two things into one) or just skip it in which case they don't contribute to MOQ. Remember, the people that have thousands of dollars in GMK caps at home are a really small minority.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense either way, for example: I do own a set of 9009 which would be color compatible with this if it was an alphas-only run, but that would leave me with an additional set of alphas that's basically useless. If I'd "just buy a modset" for those alphas I'd still end up with a lot of missing keys while probably spending more money in total than on a full keyset.

That's not entirely true though: you can buy used (shiny) classic beige or black, or "Dolch" doubleshots with old boards on eBay (or some other less common colorways like Desko or WEY caps), often for much less than a brand new GMK set of the same colors. Or there is Originative which has been selling classic beige (and other colorways as well as accent kits) for many years.  If you're talking about some uncommon custom colors, then yes, buying full sets is preferable.  Secondary legends are still a new thing for GMK, so those are still a novelty to warrant a full set, or in this case it could just be an alpha kit for existing Classic Beige owners + color packs.

Edited to add: that was just thoughts on the high amount of sets available and becoming available and how it might end up being in the [near] future.  I still think this particular set in the IC has place as a full kit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2018, 23:33:03 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 22:31:34 »
F.

I'm now     o n e    s a d    b o y e
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 23:28:31 »
Bummer...

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 01:03:56 »
That's not entirely true though: you can buy used (shiny) classic beige or black, or "Dolch" doubleshots with old boards on eBay (or some other less common colorways like Desko or WEY caps), often for much less than a brand new GMK set of the same colors.

Kinda viable, if you are only going for WKL 60%/TKL/Fullsize. **** hits the fan really quick if you want to try getting a 1.25u/6.25u bottom row (which is rare af) or split right shift (having to get an additional 1800) or split backspace (sol) that way. Also only viable for people in the US (because the addon kits would be developed around ANSI), though I wonder how many old Cherry boards are on US eBay considering the recent limited supply of them on german eBay.

Or there is Originative which has been selling classic beige (and other colorways as well as accent kits) for many years.

Completely unviable for anyone outside the US, even inside the US I'd wager that only very few people want to pay $180 + shipping and get a $40-60 + shipping addon kit on top.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 01:53:12 »
Fair points!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 17:44:46 »
Maybe I’ll just run it for Zekkin :P

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 01:55:20 »
Why don't you simply sell the alphas instead of a full set? Price is about 50 eur.

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 05:13:42 »
Why don't you simply sell the alphas instead of a full set? Price is about 50 eur.
I've already decided this is never happening. Stop asking. If it's something you want so badly, run it yourself.

Offline farfar

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 07:24:34 »
I've already decided this is never happening. Stop asking. If it's something you want so badly, run it yourself.

So you are completely fine with someone taking this and making it reality? I was really interested in it, but I don't think I would be able to do it myself because of lack of experience with groupbuys. :/

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:07:59 »

So you are completely fine with someone taking this and making it reality? I was really interested in it, but I don't think I would be able to do it myself because of lack of experience with groupbuys. :/

Send me a PM if you want gmk contacts and the price quotation they gave me some time ago.

Offline lumpofunworth

• I’m a guy, that does stuff, with things, for fun.
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:13:15 »
Definitely a good looking set, has a similar vibe to some others but I like the accents.
I like keyboards like I like people... I like keyboards a bit more come to think of it... nvm