Author Topic: Thick PBT dye sub ISO layout?  (Read 6384 times)

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
Thick PBT dye sub ISO layout?
« on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 07:34:39 »
Anyone every seen an 88-key set of thick PBT dye subs in a ISO/UK layout? would love to have a set.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Thick PBT dye sub ISO layout?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 09:12:40 »
Sadly there is not mold for the ISO enter, but you can get rest of keyset if you join my groupbuy.

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 09:33:00 »
That is a shame :(, Thanks for the reply though I will check it out.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 15:00:23 »

I would wait for GMK GB with double shots, Ivan here has the ISO and other languages figured out, and them are original Cherry tooling made keycaps. Also you can wait for Vortex to release their PBT DS, they will have the ISO enter but not sure when will it will be available and what will be the pricing, although the font is not that good.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 15:04:23 »
If you can't wait for high quality ISO caps look for old Cherry doubleshot boards. There are plenty of them in ISO and the keycaps are superb. They're thick ABS and are doubleshot. Doubleshot is generally considered to be better than dyesub.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 05:48:37 »
Interesting, Will look into what you guys mentioned Thanks so much.  :)

Offline HongKongFui

• No, you couldn't
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:00:34 »
Or search eBay for electrical typewriters from Triumph Adler Modell Gabriele 7007L.

It has thick pbt dyesub keycaps and I'm quiet sure you'll find one with iso-uk layout... there are quiet often machines with iso-de layout for one EURO...

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:45:54 »
Really, sounds great, Thanks for the tip  :)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:34:14 »
You can check the Typewriter Wiki for which typewriters that are known to have Dye-sub key caps. There may be more typewriters that do, and don't. There are dye-sub keycaps that look almost like Cherry keycaps but are not Cherry MX-compatible.
Notice that of all the Triumph-Adler Gabriele, only the 7007L is confirmed to have Cherry MX-compatible keycaps. The 7007 (no 'L' in the model name) that I have seen on the web, does not.

Beware also all Triumph-Adler typewriters (that I know of, at least) have different space bar and modifiers than most computer keyboards, including a large left Shift key.
🍉

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 06:45:37 »
Thanks for the info much appreciated  :), I have been finding a number of the things that I looked at on ebay and such having non-standard layouts which isn't really a surprise i guess will just have to keep looking.

Thank you for the links I am sure they will come in handy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 06:58:00 by SeriouSSpotS »

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 01:15:18 »
If you can't wait for high quality ISO caps look for old Cherry doubleshot boards. There are plenty of them in ISO and the keycaps are superb. They're thick ABS and are doubleshot. Doubleshot is generally considered to be better than dyesub.

Well...I believe PBT >> ABS. My experience is that one of my gmk sets has already some shine after 5 months of usage. The PBT set from BSP (Desko set) is like 10 years old and the keycap texture is as good as new. I don't think DS is better than PBT  :rolleyes:

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 11:05:55 »
Ducky have some, sadly they are oem profile. They are available at teraset.net I think.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 11:12:02 »
I had one cherry mx compatible, image attached, that I already sold, iso, but it was spanish and 102 keys, so they somewhat exist. Look for electric typewritters like an triumph adler gabrielle or old kboards.

Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 05:39:13 »
I had one cherry mx compatible, image attached, that I already sold, iso, but it was spanish and 102 keys, so they somewhat exist. Look for electric typewritters like an triumph adler gabrielle or old kboards.

That is a shame, I would have definitely bought that given the change. I have been keeping an eye out old keyboards and such, but they proving elusive.

Thanks for the reply

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 05:46:23 »
Ducky have some, sadly they are oem profile. They are available at teraset.net I think.

I have seen those around, I am quite tempted. I don't think oem profile is that bad seeing as I have only used oem to-date (don't hate on me  :p), I do want to try out cherry profile but then again I don't, as I run the risk of liking them and wasting my money (damn you student life!).

Thanks for the reply

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 09:38:46 »
Cherry G80-3000s exist with thick PBT keys, beige/grey colour scheme with either dye-sub or laser-etched legends. Cherry's lasering at the time was not as high quality as later on, so the letters are less dark and can be a bit shifted. I have two sets of lasered thick keys myself that I got pretty cheap from guys on GH/Deskthority and it looks wonky if I mix keys from both sets on the same keyboard.

The big reason why I have not mentioned it before in this thread is that there is always a stepped Caps Lock and 1.5u Ctrl and Alt modifiers, no Windows keys etc. so they won't fit on most modern keyboards. Also, the dye-sub can be more difficult to find, and when you do, they are often very expensive. Therefore, not much of an option.
I don't know about G81 keyboards with these keys, though, but they could exist.
🍉

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 07:36:02 »

They're currently only available on certain boards, you can't buy the caps separately just yet.
You can get regular PBT from them, but I'm still waiting for the thick sets to become available.