Author Topic: [GB] Klaxon! The RA2.0 clone - Orders closed! Invoicing/revision time  (Read 364580 times)

Offline RinSewand

Re: [GB] Klaxon! The RA2.0 clone
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:50:25 »
Excellent! Out of interest - what colour will the ISO kit be?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:52:51 »
I'll leave that to majority vote when I collect money from the small handful of people that want it, honestly. 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:54:26 »
You should do both colors in one kit. ISO Enters will be blank, right?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:55:24 »
Layout on SP site shows it has print on it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:56:46 »
Ok, well I know that some GB (CCnG?) made the ISO Enter blank. Maybe to save on costs?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:57:26 »
/shrug Will be something I have to discuss with whoever produces this, I suppose.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 22:27:58 »
So I had the wild urge to see what this would look like if it went through GMK and the red was the red from the ESC key of awesome:

Seems a little pink to me:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 22:32:40 »
On this monitor it look a bit like tomato red.

Tomato Alert?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
[GB] Klaxon! The RA2.0 clone
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 22:32:45 »
Definitely a little male salmon colour there.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 22:37:54 »
I will mention, I got the cmyk color from a eyedropper tool in AI from a pic off of EKs website so the color probably isn't perfect either. 

Edit:  If I can find a picture of the correct color red, I'll check it and try again.  But I'm thinking that it may not be the right color red at all for this particular thing. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2012, 22:41:14 by tjcaustin »

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 09:09:40 »
I think this might be the red used. Image borrowed from squarebox from the GMK thread

Keep in mind that lighting does affect the way it looks.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 09:11:34 »
I'm going to check again with that later today. 

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 09:26:16 »
V4 color looked nice too.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 09:27:07 »
V4 and N1. Nintendo set can be commenced now.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 09:29:37 »
awesome idea, would be 100% in!

no way you can get the right colour eyedroping a picture
you need to check with GMK to get either pantone colour code or even CMYK or RGB code

Also we had the same issue on the toxic set, what you see on screen can be pretty far from the final result
flat colours (displayed on mock-ups) will always look kind of dimmed compared to real colours (because of reflections, lighting etc...)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 09:31:04 »
V4 color looked nice too.

Depending on if this becomes cherry or not, I may do something based on V4.

CCnB comes to mind, but supposedly that's "next on the list after something more exciting" from sherryton.  Hopefully he didn't mean the stickers he's getting ready to sell.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 09:33:24 »
awesome idea, would be 100% in!

no way you can get the right colour eyedroping a picture
you need to check with GMK to get either pantone colour code or even CMYK or RGB code

Also we had the same issue on the toxic set, what you see on screen can be pretty far from the final result
flat colours (displayed on mock-ups) will always look kind of dimmed compared to real colours (because of reflections, lighting etc...)

Hm, well may just put it up to a vote if this goes GMK, then.  No one has been in contact with me about it and I haven't seen any real information about pricing or what initial group buy will be, so /shrug.  Fortunately, we're still in sign up phase, heh.

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 09:35:27 »
Perhaps start off with an IC for the CCnB?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 10:18:02 »
CCnB comes to mind, but supposedly that's "next on the list after something more exciting" from sherryton.  Hopefully he didn't mean the stickers he's getting ready to sell.
Sherryton intends to do a Soware set I think. He got real defensive when I asked in a thread here, and a post at /r/mechanicalkeyboards what the color codes were for the Soware set. He likes to be sneaky and not give any warning about what he is making :p . My RGB group buy, that I've been procrastinating, almost got torpedoed because he ordered like 250 RGB sets and didn't tell anyone (still not for sale BTW even though they are supposedly done and delivered). That is the risk you take though when you want to sell for money and not group buy prices, someone might unknowingly run a group buy for the same thing.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 10:30:23 »
what a douche. Anyway, I vote for GMK if possible! :D
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline Orca

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:06:40 »
vote GMK :D

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:30:34 »
Sherryton intends to do a Soware set I think. He got real defensive when I asked in a thread here, and a post at /r/mechanicalkeyboards what the color codes were for the Soware set. He likes to be sneaky and not give any warning about what he is making :p . My RGB group buy, that I've been procrastinating, almost got torpedoed because he ordered like 250 RGB sets and didn't tell anyone (still not for sale BTW even though they are supposedly done and delivered). That is the risk you take though when you want to sell for money and not group buy prices, someone might unknowingly run a group buy for the same thing.

Then at that point, I'll look into what I need to get that into IC status soon.

what a douche. Anyway, I vote for GMK if possible! :D

We'll see.  For some reason, they're stonewalling even pricing a full set because of how long it would take to get done.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 14:04:04 »
I feel ya, bro. I tried, though. They just won't let it happen, even if its what people want. Such nervousness. And lysol wants to include all kinds of language options for our friends at DT. While I'm all for being inclusive, I don't want these buys to turn into a "Round 5" situation, although that is probably what will happen. I guess I'm not one to criticize, since I'm not in a position to run a GB. The way it looks now, it will be at least a couple months before a full set GB gets going, and then we would have to wait for the first run to be completed before we could go forward with Klaxon through GMK. Looks to me like 6 months out, at the very least.

For these reasons, I would support a decision to go forward with SP as planned. They have things streamlined to our needs when we do GBs there, so it wouldn't take more than a few weeks to have these in hand, once orders are invoiced and paid. I would rather have these sets in hand by February than have to wait until next October, but that's just my opinion.

But in the end, it's your buy. You have to make the tough decisions and let us know how you will proceed. I'm just happy you are doing it at all.

in memoriam

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 14:22:01 »
Like I said, we'll see how it goes.  Because of me being me, it feels like we've been in discussions about what to get from GMK for like a month, not a week, so it felt weird to be told to wait a few more weeks.

I still feel like there would be a fairly large bump if this was thick cherry profile and font, even if the colors were the exact same as RA2.0.  I'm still interested in seeing how it would look if the red was the same red as the ESC key we all know and love, but I need to find the pantone color to get a proper idea on if that would look any good.

Offline gbohn

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 09:25:31 »
  I know it's up in the air as to who is going to do the work for this, but I had a question related to if we end up at SP.

I bought the RA 2 set, and one detail that I thought didn't look quite right (at least on my set) was the relative size of the legends on one of the keys compared to the rest.

Specifically, the ":;" key seemed  noticeably "less bold" than the "Single-Double Quote" key immediately to it's right. The keys like "[]\,.?" all seem to be a closer match to the "boldness" of the Double Quote. By comparison I thought the ":" key looked a bit anemic.

See the attached pic. (The difference is seen best/looks more like the real thing when viewed at full size).

Would anyone know if this is how the new run would be expected to look? (I'm not sure if this was just variation in my set or if they all looked like this).

Thanks;
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2012, 09:28:27 by gbohn »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 09:46:03 »
  I know it's up in the air as to who is going to do the work for this, but I had a question related to if we end up at SP.

I bought the RA 2 set, and one detail that I thought didn't look quite right (at least on my set) was the relative size of the legends on one of the keys compared to the rest.

Specifically, the ":;" key seemed  noticeably "less bold" than the "Single-Double Quote" key immediately to it's right. The keys like "[]\,.?" all seem to be a closer match to the "boldness" of the Double Quote. By comparison I thought the ":" key looked a bit anemic.

See the attached pic. (The difference is seen best/looks more like the real thing when viewed at full size).

Would anyone know if this is how the new run would be expected to look? (I'm not sure if this was just variation in my set or if they all looked like this).

Thanks;

I had the exact same issue with the tilde key on a red-on-white RA set.  Looks more like a manufacturing process control issue than a "random" variation.  Especially since you had the same thing happen to a different keycap.

Injection/mold temperature or pressure glitch is my guess.  And red-on-white is unforgiving.

Changing manufacturer could go either way.  On the one hand, larger might mean better process control.  On the other hand, if they are used to running thousands of sets on an OEM basis, then quality control down to the level of +/- 1mm might suffer.  Frankly, no industrial plastics place is going to scrutinize each and every keycap to the degree done here.

Look at the high-rez photos taken of the "new" Cherry Escape keycaps.  Can you imagine a factory looking at 1,040,000 keycaps like that?  Or placing all 104 keys in a tray and comparing them as a set before bagging and boxing?  Each and every time?  Not going to happen.

In my (probably contrarian) opinion, we'll do better with a company like SP where we have a long-standing relationship and where our very small batches are looked after by someone.  The only thing we can be certain of getting with the change is New Old Stock (NOS) parts from the original molds.  And if you think that is perfect either, go post "Unicomp = IBM" in a Model M thread.  ;)

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Mostly, I hope that selecting a vendor doesn't slow this group buy tremendously.  I really want my Klaxon Keycaps!
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2012, 09:47:49 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline gbohn

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 10:02:58 »
 > Frankly, no industrial plastics place is going to scrutinize each and every keycap to the degree done here.

Yes, some of us are hoping for "Artisan" level key caps...  (Kind of like "Artisan Bread", etc. ...)  :)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 11:13:59 »
The thick tilde and semicolon keys are a known issue with SP's keys. They aren't mistakes per se, that's just how the molds are.  Same issue with CCnG sets for instance.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 16:01:40 »
Numbers updated, we're closing in on a couple things jumping a tier and still nearly a month before initial cut off date.

Offline dragonken

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 07:18:55 »
in for base + mod.

Offline Sai

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 01:48:31 »
So has the decision reached? will this GB gonna wait for GMK or just go with SP? I'm fine with either one though. Just a question on the status. :D
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 04:29:41 »
Well there's like still 4 weeks left for the information to be collected about who wants what, anyway..

Now for me to decide if I am tempted enough.. :P
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 07:16:48 »
Is it bad of me to still hope that this GB doesn't happen?
If it does, there will be less demand for RA and it won't be among the full sets made at GMK if it works out there. Sure, it is several months away. But if this GB goes through, then there is pretty much no chance of an RA set happening at GMK until way way into the future.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 07:45:09 »
If it does, there will be less demand for RA and it won't be among the full sets made at GMK if it works out there. Sure, it is several months away. But if this GB goes through, then there is pretty much no chance of an RA set happening at GMK until way way into the future.

Well, the only reason people are still asking this:
So has the decision reached? will this GB gonna wait for GMK or just go with SP? I'm fine with either one though. Just a question on the status. :D

Is because I don't have pricing from GMK to give everyone that's already signed up for this.  Unless price and MOQ are impossible, this will probably be one of the first full sets done through GMK.

Well there's like still 4 weeks left for the information to be collected about who wants what, anyway..

Now for me to decide if I am tempted enough.. :P

You're totally tempted enough.  Especially if it's delicious thick cherry caps.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 08:06:56 »
tj my bro!

Here to support you!

Filled in the form!  ;D ;D

Offline Sai

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 10:05:12 »

Quote from:  tjcaustin

Is because I don't have pricing from GMK to give everyone that's already signed up for this.  Unless price and MOQ are impossible, this will probably be one of the first full sets done through GMK.

Oh. ok. i'll be waiting for the PRICE AND MOQ !!!  ;D ;D

Offline MadScientist46

• Snaged his first CCs -> HappyScientist now ^_^
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 14:36:23 »

My humble opinion:
I kinda hope this one goes through SP. We could just go ahead on January without further delay, because I think the numbers are there mostly. Plus, now that i have a RA2.0 Mod-kit, the font difference wouldn't look right if this goes through GMK.
Noppoo Choc mini MX-Reds | KBT Pure MX-Reds/Green LEDs

Offline fydo

• Meow!
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 15:56:54 »
I kinda hope this one goes through SP. We could just go ahead on January without further delay, because I think the numbers are there mostly. Plus, now that i have a RA2.0 Mod-kit, the font difference wouldn't look right if this goes through GMK.

I concur with MadScientist46. I'm in the same boat with regards to owning the SP mod-kit.
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 21:49:04 »
In for row base and wor mod!

Offline vultures

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 04:19:48 »
sorry if my question is noob

but is this ABS or PBT? dye sub?

interested on Base RoW
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 December 2012, 04:21:38 by vultures »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 07:34:40 »
sorry if my question is noob

but is this ABS or PBT? dye sub?

interested on Base RoW

double-shot ABS

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 14:23:45 »
Can you check if I got the ISO kit in my order? If not can you add it for me? Thanks

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 15:29:16 »
Can you check if I got the ISO kit in my order? If not can you add it for me? Thanks

Noted

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 15:37:37 »
Surely it's time for a re-count!? :D I think RoW base will go over 75!
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline vultures

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 19:42:08 »
just updated your form, but when i check the result here : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AogGyDQAChFrdGlZTm5WS2YwWnQ1bDQ3Y3gxZ3c1cGc#gid=0

i can see "yes" for RoW my order.

Thanks.

Offline Sai

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 21:15:47 »
Hi there, i can see my name duplicated as i filled in the form twice. :D
Please update my order as 1 x RoW Base set and 1 x WoR Mod set.
Sorry for confusing you.  ;D ;D

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 21:23:44 »
All edits are done.

Count is up to date.  Both base sets went up a tier, as did a 17key, tsangan and mods are both close to changing tier as well.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 21:53:22 »
Thanks very much!
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline vultures

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 01:17:25 »
damn it i think i put wrong

what i want is Red on White...inside the summary i put White on Red.

Can you help me to change? thanks.

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 01:19:31 »
damn it i think i put wrong

what i want is Red on White...inside the summary i put White on Red.

Can you help me to change? thanks.

You might try Pming him. it would get faster results.