Author Topic: [GB] Klaxon! The RA2.0 clone - Orders closed! Invoicing/revision time  (Read 363451 times)

Offline Mayor Winters

Re: [GB] Klaxon! The RA2.0 clone
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 19:14:01 »
I love both sets, better the red on white one but i need the ISO kit :(
The more keyboards we have, the more keyboards we want.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 19:18:21 »
Make a note in the comments and I'll add you to that list.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 23:20:43 »
any chance that the ISO layout is the one with the big ass enter key? (the L enter key as on the picture here)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 00:00:08 »
Nope. SteelSeries bigass enter is a problem. Not in any compatibility kit at all (and no way SP is going to make a mold for it).
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 01:15:29 »
Nope. SteelSeries bigass enter is a problem. Not in any compatibility kit at all (and no way SP is going to make a mold for it).
no and even if, it would be to expensive ^^ I'll still get the base kit and the mods for my Keycool and use it on that keyboard :D I'll not use my keycool anymore I guess xD (except when my GF is there and complains about the noise of blue switches :s -_-)

Offline phx

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 02:07:16 »
in for a WoR mod and RoW base!

unless I can find a seller for RA2 before Jan ._.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 05:50:31 »
I'd be interested in at least a RoW base set and a set of WoR mods although it depends partly on how much bonus I get (and a lot on how expensive Christmas is!) - would you prefer that I fill in the form and then possibly pull out later or wait to know if I'll have the funds?
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 08:44:53 »
Aplogies tjcaustin, gotta withdraw my orders. Gotten a set of RA2 from one of my friend. Sorry about that.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 09:06:29 »
TJ, my order carried over from the IC Lon ago, but please put me down for a "full set" of each, WoR and RoW. Thanks!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 11:33:52 »
I'd be interested in at least a RoW base set and a set of WoR mods although it depends partly on how much bonus I get (and a lot on how expensive Christmas is!) - would you prefer that I fill in the form and then possibly pull out later or wait to know if I'll have the funds?

I would actually prefer that.  The more I get now, the lower costs for everyone will end up being.  Also, if enough people are still unsure about the price, I'll leave this up for another month or so after the deadlines.

Aplogies tjcaustin, gotta withdraw my orders. Gotten a set of RA2 from one of my friend. Sorry about that.

No problems, and done.  If you decide, like I did as reason to start this, to get a white on red input kit, feel free to re-add yourself.

TJ, my order carried over from the IC Lon ago, but please put me down for a "full set" of each, WoR and RoW. Thanks!

Done.

Offline fydo

• Meow!
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 11:39:12 »
Hi there, I just filled out the form last night.
But I'm feeling a little dyslexic and I want to confirm that you have me down for just one Red On White base set. Thanks!
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 14:06:02 »
TJ, you should insist on RBV for the red on this one. SP may not have it listed as "in stock" and RDD would be close, but if you tell Melissa we want RBV, they can get it. They can make any colors they have on their color ring. And I mean the full color ring, not just the ones in that small picture on their website.

Also, what about contacting 7bit and asking if we could possibly use his modifier symbols legends? I think he would let you use them.

If you did these two things, and made the changes to the mockups, your orders would go through the roof. I guarantee it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 16:13:09 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 15:17:03 »
TJ, you should insist on RBV for the red on this one. SP may not have it listed as "in stock" and RDD would be close, but if you tell Melissa we want RBV, they can get it. They can make any colors they have on their color ring. And I mean the full color ring, not just the ones in that small picture on their website.

Also, what about contacting 7bit and asking if we could possibly use his modifier symbols legends? I think he would let you use them.

If you did these two things, and made the changes to the mockups, your orders would I through the roof. I guarantee it.

What he said!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline mickd

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 16:08:55 »
I would love to see this set with 7bit legends, if possible!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 19:40:09 »

If you did these two things, and made the changes to the mockups, your orders would go through the roof. I guarantee it.

Re-reading Melissa's email, the tone is that RDD is what they'd prefer we use, but RBV isn't out of the question.  The first couple of times I read it, I felt it was more of a "we won't be carrying RBV ever again".  At this point, I'd almost want to say "See all these pictures of RA2.0? That but with white on red inputs, too"  But even still, here's me asking for a picture of the SP color wheel so I can get the color more accurate, unless Batmann already has it. 

As to the mods, I sent pm to 7bit over at DT after this.

Count is also updated.  Surprised not more people want white on red input, but no biggie, there's still enough for an order.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 19:53:29 by tjcaustin »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 20:12:56 »
This ABS color chart is from the Deskthority wiki:

in memoriam

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 21:52:24 »
Ok, so I'm either blind (a real possibility) or RDD isn't in this picture.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 22:13:34 »
It's probably from an older ring, which doesn't have the RDD (since I thought Melissa said it was new)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 09:24:54 »
So with the possibility of having this done in a truer Cherry look and feel, I've requested Dan think about coordinating with GMK and having this done through them. 

I figure that people like Red Alert color layout and love cherry font and cap construction so that combination could be scary popular.  Will keep people in the loop.

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 09:31:17 »
Love the idea TJ, please keep us infomed with updates!
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline MadScientist46

• Snaged his first CCs -> HappyScientist now ^_^
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 10:22:43 »
Awesome idea, TJ, this will be a very nice set once it's done!

Short question, cause I'm not a native speaker of English:
on SP website it says that sets have to be ordered in multiples of 10. So if there are e.g. 56 people ordering a RoW base set, we would have to order 60 sets so everyone gets a set, or order 50 sets and having some people missing out? Or am I mistaken understanding it like this?

If I'm right, how about ordering to the next "10" sets, so all people wanting one can have one? We could maybe split extra costs per sets among all for every set. That would mean for example, that everyone who ordered a base set pays a few bucks more for their base set. Ofc, for other sets it would require the price to come down like for the base set. The leftover sets could be used to compensate losses or could auctioned, so the money from that could be maybe donated to geekhack.

Or did anyone else find a solution for this problem, if it is one?

Either way, cant wait for these caps to be produced!!
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 November 2012, 10:29:25 by MadScientist46 »
Noppoo Choc mini MX-Reds | KBT Pure MX-Reds/Green LEDs

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 10:26:11 »
I would order the next tier and sell the extras or auction them for geekhack supplies if they're still needed at that time. 

Offline MadScientist46

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 10:34:47 »
Fantastic! I already assumed someone figured a way out.
Thanks for making that clear for me and for doing this!

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
  • Independent Plastics Consultant
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 12:21:48 »
Hi Ron, tjcaustin and jdcarpe let me give you a little more background on the color issue.

SP buys raw plastic and color in a variety of forms from a variety of suppliers.  Over time those vendors evolve.  Some decide that SP is too small to deal with, others are bought out or change business plans, others have delivery and quality problems, some change methods and suppliers, etc – your typical business supply chain story (and some are great to work with by the way).  In the case of the color we call RBV there were various issues that required us to have the color reformulated at a different supplier.  While the color match is very close (it can be argued that no colors are ever exactly the same) there were some problems related to processing that material resulting in undesirable cosmetics.  We have found these problems to be especially prominent on 2 shot keys when RBV is the exterior color.   RDD was a re-reformulation to try address those issues.  We called it RDD instead of RBV to differentiate it in our system and because of the differences in the formulation method even though the target color was the same.   Again no color match can claim to be 100% accurate because everyone sees complex colors in slightly different ways but it is extremely close, I would argue that RDD is within the range of normal variation you would see with RBV anyways but I don’t have the equipment or data to prove that.

I really don’t think you (or SP) would be happy with the visual quality of the parts molded in RBV and I not sure you would even discern the variation if I just molded it using RDD. 

Tjcaustin – I see you started the thread so I assume you are managing the effort.  I’d be happy to discuss it with you if you want more info.   I can PM you my mobile phone number.

I hope that helps, thanks.
Ben

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 13:19:19 »
Ben, thank you very much for your help in clearing up the color issue between RBV and RDD. If it's the same color profile, but a new (improved) formulation, we should certainly go with the new one over the old.

I, for one, really appreciate the relationship that SP maintains with our little community. Your following this thread and posting here to clear this up shows the level of customer service you at SP are committed to, and that you value feedback from your customers.

:D

in memoriam

Offline BLJ Consulting

• * Vendor
  • Independent Plastics Consultant
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 14:13:38 »
glad to help.

Offline mickd

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 18:15:17 »
Oh, if that's true we definitely should go RDD all the way. I really don't like those strange swirls on the RA2.0 red mofidier sets! Thanks Ben!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 19:02:23 »
Ben to the rescue with some helpful info.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline gbohn

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 19:48:29 »

>  We have found these problems to be especially prominent on 2 shot keys when RBV is the exterior color. 
>  RDD was a re-reformulation to try address those issues.

I bought an RA 2 set as well as the 'white on red' modifiers. I was disappointed by the color (or maybe texture) appearance variations I saw in the red body of the modifiers (on the key tops).

I'd be tempted to order a new set (at a reasonable price) if I knew the problem was fixed...

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 19:50:01 »
Given what Ben said, I would think that it is.  This is on a brief pause until the decision is finalized to go with SP or try GMK and get a truer cherry style.

Offline Emmiya

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 20:05:31 »
Assuming you would be doing european shipping, i'd definitely be in for a Base&Mod RoW set.(googledocs form filled out, just confirming).

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 20:08:13 »
If not me, Batmann has volunteered to proxy.

Offline Sai

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 20:57:49 »
umm. i know this is irritating when i want to change the sets as i submitted the form a while ago. but please remove my mod set and only keep my RoW base set.  Thanks !!  ;D :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2012, 23:21:18 by hoshidishi »
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 21:04:42 »
Done.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 07:58:35 »
In for Red-on-White base + White-on-Red modifiers.
Will do form now, thanks.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 11:46:09 »
Totals updated and tiers have changed.  Depending on if this becomes the GMK run, pricing will probably change.  I figure desires will change a bit as well.

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 13:04:17 »
Numbers are looking excellent TJ! :)
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline Mayor Winters

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 16:18:53 »
Cmon, 2 for ISO kit!!!!!!
The more keyboards we have, the more keyboards we want.

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 16:41:32 »
White on red base kit - no ,  you didnt change this yet.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 16:45:40 »
Bah, must have missed it or something.  Done now.

Looks like things are progressing smoothly.  Hopefully, we'll get some good news in terms of pricing from GMK for this being all like the Cherry stuff.  If it's stupid high prices or MOQ, of course this will just remain a SP thing.

Offline MadScientist46

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 17:10:25 »
Would this still remain a SP thing in January, if GMK wouls mean to wait 2-3 more months?
I read somewhere that it would be possible they can't fit us into their schedule which would mean waiting some more months.
Don't get me wrong here, I'd love to see this going to be one of the first Cherry-font keysets, but the more I look at the mock-ups and the rising numbers, I'd rather get them in the mail sooner than later :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 December 2012, 17:12:28 by MadScientist46 »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 17:21:55 »
Obviously, if more people wanted it to be SP and get them sooner, I'd be alright with that as well, but from what I gather, the lead time right now is ~3 months from order to shipping.  And considering we have nearly a full month before the original time frame, that may shrink or grow.  From there, if the price or MOQ doesn't make sense, it would stay SP as well. 

Essentially, they may use this to get a baseline quote from GMK for their services and we'll go from there. 

Offline elton5354

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 18:19:54 »
WoR - White legends on red keycap?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 18:21:45 »
Would this still remain a SP thing in January, if GMK wouls mean to wait 2-3 more months?
I read somewhere that it would be possible they can't fit us into their schedule which would mean waiting some more months.
Don't get me wrong here, I'd love to see this going to be one of the first Cherry-font keysets, but the more I look at the mock-ups and the rising numbers, I'd rather get them in the mail sooner than later :)

I have a CM QFP just waiting for them.

I vote sooner rather than later.

Just my $.02,

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 19:16:53 »
WoR - White legends on red keycap?

Yessir

I have a CM QFP just waiting for them.

I vote sooner rather than later.

Just my $.02,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Honestly, it very well may be through SP still and I rerun the stuff through later as a GMK buy.  It's all down to how much GMK charges, you know?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 20:40:44 »
Note Regarding Compatibility: If anyone is buying WoR modifiers to use with an existing RA (or RA2.0) set, they will want standard SP (WYSE) legends, and not Cherry font legends. The inverse is also true. If you have WoR modifiers you bought from SP, you wouldn't want the Klaxon base kit to use Cherry font legends, as it would look funky with your WYSE font legend modifiers.

in memoriam

Offline Sai

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 20:46:12 »
umm wth. i am putting back my WoR mods set in. :D
The more I look , the more i want to buy. please don't  mind me, tjcaustin.  ;D
I'll fill up the form again.
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 20:55:22 »
Note Regarding Compatibility: If anyone is buying WoR modifiers to use with an existing RA (or RA2.0) set, they will want standard SP (WYSE) legends, and not Cherry font legends. The inverse is also true. If you have WoR modifiers you bought from SP, you wouldn't want the Klaxon base kit to use Cherry font legends, as it would look funky with your WYSE font legend modifiers.

And even with going through SP, the red used may be slightly different.  Probably not enough to be concerned as you would with the font difference, but a possibility.

And of course, if this does end up as GMK built, I'll be extremely clear about the need to add to orders and the like.  But being as we aren't through with the sign up phase, let alone collecting money, I figure we aren't hurting things to see if GMK is the way to go.

Offline RinSewand

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:17:48 »
Cheers for the reply to the PM - form submitted. I noted in the comments but I'd also be in for an ISO if it happens.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:20:46 »
Which should have bumped us to the magic number of MOQ.