Author Topic: GMK/Cherry doubleshot modifer packs (Complete)  (Read 287281 times)

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
Re: GMK/Cherry doubleshot modifer packs (orders close 30 March)
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 17:11:07 »
Wasn't going to order but I noticed we were struggling so I ordered a set :D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 17:42:52 »
I was informed it was posted about on kbd, but they must not notice it as there is still no orders from them really, just a few.
We reach 1/3 the MOQ, keep pushing for it.

Offline MarkPharaoh

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 18:33:58 »
Here I thought this would of hit the mark fairly easily..
Current: HHKB Pro 2, 87u 55g 10AE, FC600C, Model M 1391401

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 18:41:04 »
Ordered.

Offline paudash

« Reply #204 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 04:07:03 »
Ordered.

Really hope this buy succeeds.

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #205 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 06:54:04 »
Updated my order. May I get confirmation or something? The first GB for me, got no clue how this works.
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #206 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 08:42:13 »
Yes your order was recorded Kmynis.

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #207 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 16:19:01 »
Since it doesn't seem this group buy will make it in time, wouldn't it be possible to tell GMK about our situation and have them discard our production slot for now? Later on, when we've reached the MOQ, we'll approach them again and ask for a production slot "as soon as possible". Wouldn't something like this work?

We'd have to wait for a few months (or a lot of months) before the group buy could actually go into production, but it definitely seems like a much better and more viable solution than having GMK shut their doors on us forever if we say we can't afford the ordered sets when we're close to the production phase.

People could always triple their orders, but I don't think that's really possible for most of us. :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #208 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 16:32:37 »
Gonna get flamed for this one, but oh well.

Could always drop the extra keys, keeping just the US ANSI ones, and lower the price accordingly. Then get the 300 orders needed.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 17:46:33 »
The extra keys make the set incredibly flexible, giving the whole thing a much better value.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 17:59:18 »
I don't think making it to some limited only 1.25 and ANSI would have anything but negative effect. I am truly surprised this hasn't gotten at least closer to moq than it is. It leaves me wondering what the turn off really is, the colors? I can't guess it is because of compatibility, and the price is quite good considering how much you get.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 18:49:28 »
Well I don't hink I would be the only one droping from this GB if you decide to go only ANSI.

Quite funny that ISO users always helped tons of GB to meet the MOQ and then when things are the other way around people don't want extra keys. That's pretty LAME in my opinion.

I have to receive +20 keys that doesn't fit my layout every time I participate in a ANSI GB so Where's the problem with receiving some extra modifiers?

Well this is always the same history here in GH.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #212 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 19:51:46 »
So if this doesn't hit 300 does that mean no keycaps?  I mean the closing date is coming up soon

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #213 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 21:26:32 »
That is right, not meeting MOQ means no keycaps. I will only consider extending the deadline if we are close.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #214 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 22:24:05 »
Ouch, this isn't looking very good.  I'd love to jump in... But I don't have any use for them...

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 23:00:42 »
I don't think making it to some limited only 1.25 and ANSI would have anything but negative effect. I am truly surprised this hasn't gotten at least closer to moq than it is. It leaves me wondering what the turn off really is, the colors? I can't guess it is because of compatibility, and the price is quite good considering how much you get.

I suspect the colors are partly to blame...at least, it's why I didn't place an order. A neutral/common color would have attracted many more people, I think.

Offline limmy

« Reply #216 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 23:01:32 »
Reason I did not participate were
1. the colors
2. there are very good alternative
3. not a full set
4. out of keyboard budget

When running a group buy, people rarely are vocal about the reasons why they didn't participate.

I think proper mockup would increase GB participation. People do not like to imagine how things are going to look. At this moment, I think there is more uncertainty than optimal. Sampling would definitely help. Some people are more open to take risks (participate in GB not knowing if outcome is going to be up to their expectations), but when there is other sure thing the willingness to take risk is going to be reduced.

Moreover, the set is only appealing to people who currently use Cherry DS caps. So, the pool of people who are interested is already small.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 00:21:42 »
Reason I did not participate were
1. the colors
2. there are very good alternative
3. not a full set
4. out of keyboard budget

When running a group buy, people rarely are vocal about the reasons why they didn't participate.

I think proper mockup would increase GB participation. People do not like to imagine how things are going to look. At this moment, I think there is more uncertainty than optimal. Sampling would definitely help. Some people are more open to take risks (participate in GB not knowing if outcome is going to be up to their expectations), but when there is other sure thing the willingness to take risk is going to be reduced.

Moreover, the set is only appealing to people who currently use Cherry DS caps. So, the pool of people who are interested is already small.

1. Nothing to say here if you don't like them...
2. That's not entirely true. Where can you find those prices? Sherryton is selling RGB sets for 35$ and they lack a lot of keys. Those sets includes a lot of keys for every layout you could imagine for cheap prices. You can't find anything like that right now.
3. You can't go with full sets right now because GMK doesn't have the time to produce them. It is what it is and to be able to order full sets in the future we need to stablish a relationship with them so if we fail now it's over.
4. Nothing to say here if you can't afford them right now.

There are mockups in the OP and there are samples produced:

Inlikeflynn would be offering black DS sets with the GB at a bargain price. You can't beat those prices for high quality keycaps.

I think people don't realise that this step has to be done. If we fail to meet the MOQ for this GB there won't be any more GB produced by GMK what means GAME OVER for the best find over the last years and the only chance to produce Cherry original DS keys. There was a lot of interest before the GB and now it vanished.

I guess people is too busy buying single bling-bling keys .

I would double or even triple my order if it was going to mean we could make the GB but the fact is that for now this would mean nothing since we are too far from reaching the MOQ.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 March 2013, 00:26:29 by guilleguillaume »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #218 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 00:55:34 »
Could always drop the extra keys, keeping just the US ANSI ones, and lower the price accordingly. Then get the 300 orders needed.

I think the ISO squad will hunt you down for this.......  :p

I much prefer the original GB as it offers far more choice for anyone especially the Europeans, in getting some good-ole thick Cherry goodness from GMK.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 00:58:41 »

I guess people is too busy buying single bling-bling keys .

I would double or even triple my order if it was going to mean we could make the GB but the fact is that for now this would mean nothing since we are too far from reaching the MOQ.

I'm afraid you may be right here.  ALL the youngsters want the SP Bling and also I have already increased my orders but buying 200 sets, would put me in the doghouse (permanently) with my Mrs.

Offline cobraj

« Reply #220 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 01:01:51 »
Yeah I quite like this.
Just trying to convince a few of my friends to also get it so shipping isn't as big of an issue :(
I'll probs end up ordering it anyway.
So sad if this doesn't work out :(
I really thought there would be more interest, especially considering how many people are keen on the GH60.

Offline limmy

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 02:49:21 »
1. Nothing to say here if you don't like them...
2. That's not entirely true. Where can you find those prices? Sherryton is selling RGB sets for 35$ and they lack a lot of keys. Those sets includes a lot of keys for every layout you could imagine for cheap prices. You can't find anything like that right now.
3. You can't go with full sets right now because GMK doesn't have the time to produce them. It is what it is and to be able to order full sets in the future we need to stablish a relationship with them so if we fail now it's over.
4. Nothing to say here if you can't afford them right now.

It seems you didn't like me giving reason for my actions or should I say inaction. I said those things because Ivan was wondering WHY people didn't participate. There are more alternative sets available out there (GMK sets, SP sets, Chinese Dyesubs, BSP dyesubs) and more people are spending their budget on those things. People do not have unlimited budget so if they buy something, they cannot afford additional stuff. At least that is how I see the market right now. And so far, I think my view is not far off target.

People generally like full sets. Not many want to spend their money to get part new and part used and worn caps. Needless to say, not many really care that much about future relationship between GMK. There are only a few people who worry about the big picture. Many of them are just interested in getting what they want.

The samples represents very small part of the actual items. At least that is how I see it. However, better sample can do so much as I don't think it is one of fundamental forces that drive GB participation. However, a good sample is very good marketing tool. It is very hard to market if there isn't a concrete thing to show to people. One good photo is 1000 times better than words explaining it.

Offline TDub

« Reply #222 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 03:49:32 »
Man it would be a damn shame if this doesn't happen. I already doubled my order, but right now it doesn't look like we can make the 75% by the end of the week. I don't think comparing these to SP is even remotely fair. The cherry doubleshots are much thicker and feel much better to type on. I have two sets like the ones Inlikeflynn is offering and they are awesome, the only problem is the bottom row, which this GB solves (minus the space bar but close enough imho).

Offline calavera

« Reply #223 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 04:05:46 »
I agree with a lot of what limmy said above. I just don't think purple was the way to go. I understand the reasoning behind the color choice but to me purple is just as bling bling as any other SP product. I really do hope you guys succeed though.

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 05:29:06 »
This GB is a bit like an entry fee to future gigs in the gmk club.

You can combine gmk keys with SP sets and get the nicer modifier row profile.
Full Gmk sets are obviously not available yet.
For weird colours i think the orders over at toxic show that generally people are open to those.

I think so many GBs going down simultaneously vs. wallets is a hindrance.

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 06:13:12 »
To me it seems like there is really a lot of factors playing in here.
The timing, there seems to be a rush of really nice sets at the moment, along with both GH60 and Phantom GB.
These GBs is running alongside Sherryton releasing new full sets that is cheaper than what prices on some used sets has risen to (and wtf is up with that)

The set is not a proper mod set. It misses the whole arrow cluster on a tkl and F5 to F8. Will it look good paired with anything on a tkl?

The results from the interest check
Modifier Pack:  White/Purple (39), White/Blue (38), White/Green (35), White/Brown (26)

Purple got the most votes, but it wasn't more than 1/3 of the votes and that is where we are now. Purple can really be a love/hate color, so I don't think those who voted differently is likely to join the gig. Even people who voted for purple might not have placed an order, since there is a lot of confusion with the nuance of the color. I even hesitated to place an order and I love purple but the dark variant of it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #226 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 06:21:45 »
This GB is a bit like an entry fee to future gigs in the gmk club.

I think so many GBs going down simultaneously vs. wallets is a hindrance.

Yeah this is were you as a Geekhack user need to start prioritizing on what's important/worth getting here, in all the Group Buys.

It's not that all the other GB's are awful it's just you need to pick the winners that you desire the most.  It's really foul because what you love today can change tomorrow and that definitely goes with coloured key-set choices.

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 06:36:15 »
Just ordered two white on purple and two escape packs, plus 2 sets of used white on black DS  YAY!!!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #228 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 08:07:28 »
If we manage to make this happen, there will be another pack for nav, cursor, numpad and Fkeys in white/purple following so those that wish to complete the 2tone on tenkeyless, fullsize and possible more will be able to do so.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 March 2013, 08:11:04 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 09:12:59 »
If we manage to make this happen, there will be another pack for nav, cursor, numpad and Fkeys in white/purple following so those that wish to complete the 2tone on tenkeyless, fullsize and possible more will be able to do so.

That sounds awesome!

But looking at the numbers it will be soooo hard to make this groub buy work :(

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #230 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 10:09:20 »

seems like a massive IF when we are barely half way to getting MOQ

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 10:24:54 »
I'm afraid you may be right here.  ALL the youngsters want the SP Bling and also I have already increased my orders but buying 200 sets, would put me in the doghouse (permanently) with my Mrs.

You act like the SP sets are so bad.  SP has worked with the community and the Toxic GB is most likely going to get cherry legends.

Offline pasph

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 10:36:31 »

You act like the SP sets are so bad.  SP has worked with the community and the Toxic GB is most likely going to get cherry legends.

People likes what they know...
Have the youngsters ever got a cherry set?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline r3dx

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 11:26:37 »
I'm still really hoping that this buy will get off the ground, but we are still under the 50% mark so it's hard to tell at the moment. I've already doubled my order so I'm not sure if I can go much higher on this one. I usually try to push up my order to help out some but at this point it's not going to help much.

IvanIvanovich, it may be a good idea to extend this as long as you can past the due date just to see what happens. I would suggest changing the title and/or adding some information about how GMK's caps are different from the SP buys going on now and how this will affect future GMK group buys. Also it may be good to include a link to inlikeflynn's buy so that everyone knows that it is possible to get close to a full set through this buy.

Sorry for the back seat driving, just wanted to give some advice on observations I made. Thanks again for the group buy!
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #234 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 17:53:48 »
I've put an order in already but is it worth seeing if it would reach MOQ more easily with another colour?

Just throwing the suggestion out there (I like the purple myself but the classics might also have worked well here).

I like the SP sets but from using a classic cherry set (still not complete it has to be said) I think its well worth having access to the extra keys and options a GB can give..no ISO user can use a set from Originative as it stands.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #235 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 19:52:43 »
Not that it makes a big difference, but I finally put in my small order.

Offline i488

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 02:42:50 »
the coloer is kinda gayish in a common Chinese view point, but I still ordered 2 sets. None of my friends want this color. :-X :-X
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 02:57:15 by i488 »

Offline i488

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 02:49:49 »
the coloer is kinda gayish in a common Chinese view point, but I still ordered 2 sets. None of my friends what this color.
If you can do a full set GroupBuy  (A profile) and all the rgb kits. I will contact all the chinese keyboard distributors to help get the group buy going. Sherry has pissed them all off for now. This is a perfect timing.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #238 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:06:49 »
Got a few days left. I don't know what I want to do yet.

With as many orders as Toxic has they are nearly at GMK moq. If it was being made by GMK I would be all over it. Cherry style legend are not enough to make me buy SP keycap. I was done with SP keycap long time ago since going Cherry there really is no contest. For me it is mostly about the profile, though the thickness and font style add much as well.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #239 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:09:28 »
I didn't buy because of the colour and I would imagine that that is the main reason. If they were a standard Dolch / Cherry colour then I would have been in for some.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:16:39 »
I didn't buy because of the colour and I would imagine that that is the main reason. If they were a standard Dolch / Cherry colour then I would have been in for some.
Though that's understandable, I personally feel like the main Cherry colorways are available already (they might not be as easy to find as some people would like, but that's beside the point), and we have an opportunity to at least do something new and fun...

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:21:37 »
True but 300 sets in purple? Something like orange on charcoal would have been a bit more universal.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #242 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:38:39 »
But orange on charcoal is supposedly upon us as it is, so that's out the window. It's harder to make decisions on things with the current landscape in front of us.

But maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board then? Honestly, I could do without the purple mods. I ordered two sets mostly to help, but I knew I would use them. I really love the CMYK though. Maybe we should consider a new full set? It's just hard to think that we wouldn't come up with something and have it taken out from under out feet.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:41:02 by esoomenona »

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #243 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:44:25 »
Who cares if a retailer is going to make something? If they have to meet the 300 MOQ and then mark it up the GB will still be cheaper.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:46:29 »
You and I both know that if they can get it made and offered faster, then people will drop out of the GB for the convenience of having what they want now. Instant gratification is a powerful thing.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:50:35 »
Keep in mind as well, purple didn't exactly win some epic landslide vote, either.  There were three colors that very nearly split the vote cleanly into thirds.  Not only that, I'm sure I wasn't the only one expecting the purple to be more bold and closer to eggplant skin and not pastel at all.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #246 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:54:01 »
That is true as well. The purple could have stood to be bolder. Like I said, maybe we drop the purple mods and move on to something else. How about the TA green set? People seemed to like that.

Or maybe Dolch should just be made. The truth is, if it is, I won't buy it. I already have a set, as I'm sure many others do as well. So you already lose orders there.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:06:32 »
Miami. Lets. Make. It. Happen.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:07:53 »
I would love Miami. But it seems that more people are keen on something subtle and don't want something bright like that. What's up with that?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:17:20 »
This is true, purple won only by one vote. Should it be dropped for now and focus on the CMYK and Esc keys only? Do you guys think this would be any help?

Seems there is still 2 major camps. People that like Cherry still seem to mostly only want existing colorway, while people that want interesting color seem to want crummy SP caps. It is very annoying.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:18:56 by IvanIvanovich »