Author Topic: Leopold PBT keycap clearance on upside down switches.  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Erikdayo

Leopold PBT keycap clearance on upside down switches.
« on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 19:23:17 »
Hi. I'm having trouble finding info on this particular topic so I figured I'd ask. With the profile of Leopold PBTs I thought clearance might be tight on upside down switches. Does anyone have experience with this?

I will be receiving a POK3R later this week (non-LED), and I believe the switches on that keyboard are mounted upside down. There is a decent chance I will want to put some Leopold PBTs on it if there are no clearance issues.

Thanks for helping!

Offline Findecanor

Re: Leopold PBT keycap clearance on upside down switches.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 03:15:51 »
There should be no problem.

The Leopold keycaps are the same size and thickness as Cherry's own keycaps which can be mounted on Cherry MX switches in any of four orientations.
There could sometimes be problems with mounting thick keycaps (such as Cherry double-shot) on keyboards with Costar-style stabilisers, but the POK3R has Cherry-style stabilisers.
I use Leopold keycaps on a Ducky keyboard with "upside-down" Cherry MX switches and Cherry stabilisers with no problems.

BTW, from what I have seen the non-backlit POK3R should come with some nice thick PBT keycaps from the start. Getting Leopold caps might not be an upgrade.
BTW2. Be sure to get a keycap puller if you don't already have one. It helps a great deal to have one when swapping keycaps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 August 2016, 03:32:29 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Erikdayo

Re: Leopold PBT keycap clearance on upside down switches.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 05:40:20 »
Thanks for the info. The POK3R does come with PBTs, but the legend seems a bit ugly and apparently isn't very durable. I've got probably half a dozen standard wire keycap pullers. :D