Author Topic: Addressing Ergodox thumb section through custom layout  (Read 2665 times)

Offline qihqi

Addressing Ergodox thumb section through custom layout
« on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 20:43:38 »
I wish I am talented to mod the Ergodox and move the thumb section closer, but I am not.
My current solution is to use a layout so that I don't use most keys on thumb section (with thumb).
Basic idea is to move enter to where space is, and use the keys under the letters as space. Like this:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=TBWEKB&hash=0647056daea67dc866a75e55e517e991 (Please ignore the placements of shift ctrl alt).
I also put arrows in the small keys in thumb section, the idea is to not touch those keys with thumb (but moving my entire hand on that area when I need arrow keys).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Addressing Ergodox thumb section through custom layout
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 03:09:59 »
I wish I am talented to mod the Ergodox and move the thumb section closer, but I am not.
My current solution is to use a layout so that I don't use most keys on thumb section (with thumb).
Basic idea is to move enter to where space is, and use the keys under the letters as space. Like this:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=TBWEKB&hash=0647056daea67dc866a75e55e517e991 (Please ignore the placements of shift ctrl alt).
I also put arrows in the small keys in thumb section, the idea is to not touch those keys with thumb (but moving my entire hand on that area when I need arrow keys).

Trouble is right shifting,  and , and .

you can't really move those unless you're willing to accept some BIG changes to your typing rhythm.. 

Doable... but yea.. those are the stumbling blocks.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 09:17:58 »
Seems reasonable enough. How do you like it? (Personally I find the primary thumb key a bit easier to reach than the bottom-row index finger key, but the little gap right between them is also quite convenient.)

Trouble is right shifting,  and , and .

you can't really move those unless you're willing to accept some BIG changes to your typing rhythm.. 
I don’t understand what you mean. He left comma and period in their normal location, and moved the shift keys directly to the sides of the pinkies (potentially an easier spot than the key below that, depending on how hands are angled relative to the keyboard).

Offline qihqi

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 20:47:13 »
Seems reasonable enough. How do you like it? (Personally I find the primary thumb key a bit easier to reach than the bottom-row index finger key, but the little gap right between them is also quite convenient.)
I am used to hit alt with thumb in normal keyboards, so adapting to bottom row is pretty straight forward.
I also thing that the little gap should really be where the first thumb key located. Though that could require a non rectangular key for that place, perhaps the makers of Ergodox thought that is a problem.
What I really want is that the bottom index key and the gap merges into a 2x key for space. I see lots of people are already working on those ideas.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 21:18:23 »
Yeah, here is my current prototype:

Comparison to Ergodox:
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 21:31:31 by jacobolus »

Offline qihqi

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 21:38:57 »
Wow those looks awesome. I guess F4 is space and F1 is enter right? Maybe its time to learn how to build my own keyboard....

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:32:48 »
I guess F4 is space and F1 is enter right?
Personally I will use F1 for space, and F4 for backspace/delete. Not quite sure where to put enter yet. But these could be set up in several different ways. Someone with small hands might want to use one of those blue arrow keys for space.

Maybe its time to learn how to build my own keyboard....
Well, it definitely sucks up a lot of time, but it’s pretty fun. :-)