Author Topic: [IC] GMK Mojave  (Read 5475 times)

Offline falloutnerd2077

[IC] GMK Mojave
« on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 10:29:24 »
Hello!

Does patrolling the Mojave make you wish for a nuclear winter? (I got it right this time, unlike my goofy reddit post's title)

Small Edit: I've been absorbing all kinds of comments and suggestions. Keep 'em coming! I appreciate all of the feedback!

I want to start with a couple disclaimers:

• If this is a direct copy, or close enough, to another set, please let me know. I absolutely do not want to steal someone else's work, and didn't mean to in any way if I did! I simply had this idea after seeing that the new keycap renders site was up and experimented with themes I thought may look good.
  • This will, if it gets that far, be my first group buy run. Please bear with me as I get acclimated to the inner workings of this all, and if you have any pointers or criticisms, do not hesitate to note them. I want to make this as smooth as possible so everyone is perfectly satisfied. I will absolutely be giving regular updates, and offer full transparency.
  • I also am entirely not used to GH's formatting system, so please forgive any mistakes in the post, I'll fix any errors I notice.

I can not figure out for the life of me how to get images to embed in the post, please use the following link to see the pictures - https://imgur.com/a/U1OADcl. If you can help me get image embedding working, please do let me know. Thanks Oblotzky!

Now for the juicy bits -

I'm u/vaultwanderer94 from reddit, and I made a post a couple days ago here - https://reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/bidyv6/gmk_patrolling_the_mojave_make_wish_for_a_nuclear/, and due to the small, but positive, response I figured why not move to IC and see if it's worth looking deeper into actually making this set a reality. This set is based on the NCR flag from the Fallout series, as well as New Vegas itself.

The set has already gone through multiple different iterations since that post. For one thing, the horrible green legends are a thing of the past(thanks for the quick suggestion u/qurao), they are now light and dark grays to contrast the tan and brown colors, and the accents have been changed to an amber color. The accent color change is certainly up for debate though, I want community feedback there.

Since this is just an IC, and the absolute baby stages of this project(that started out as far from serious), I'm supplying basic renders I made through keycaprenders.com. If possible, I will update these with much nicer ones. The colors will all be custom Pantone based colors, besides GMK's CR for the accent legends. Due to custom colors, GMK will ask an MOQ of 250, here's to hoping that can be reached if this goes to buy!

Currently, there are no separated compatibility kits. I've simply included barebones compatibility for ANSI/ISO, 40%, WKL, split backspace, and 65% in the base kit(151 keys total). Currently no ortho support, but if there's enough demand I can look into it, and certainly let me know if there are any keys that may need to be added. I will mock up new versions of the kit(s) if there end up being more than one, but I'd like to keep this a simple buy, the base kit only. I am open to adding in a couple odd sized space bars if need be as well.

The current novelty ideas are -

• The two headed bear from the NCR flag
  • A ammo swap hotkey, intended to replace the number row "2", as that's a hard-coded hotkey in F:NV
  • A poker chip, a mainstay of the New Vegas theme(currently intended for the F5 key, the in game quick save key)
  • The in game cursor shape for the arrow keys
  • The caps lock key will say "Walk" instead, as caps lock toggles the "walk/run" feature in game
  • Tab now says Pip-Boy, as tab brings the pip-boy up in game
These will probably be the only novelties, and I may remove one or two in the interest of cost savings, if that makes a noticeable difference.

Due to the vaults not being related to the NCR at all, I have left out any vault related novelties. This will most likely not be changed, as I feel there are enough(or too many) novelties already in the kit.

I would absolutely love some help with these. I'm not entirely positive how to make them properly, so the shown novelties are mock-ups only!

Renders - None of these renders will have the correct legends or show the keycaps that will be available. The only place where the legends and keycaps will be correct is the KLE based photo(the first shown image).

This one is the amber accents, added on after being given the idea by u/chekonjak on the reddit post. The amber is based on the New Vegas's default HUD color. This is the one I am leaning towards for the accent colors, I think the amber suits the other colors much better. I also feel like it may need to be a little bit darker?

This one is the red accents. This version most accurately represents the NCR flag I based this set off of.

The following are just renders of each.

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2019, 06:03:16 by falloutnerd2077 »
Daily: Omnikey 101(Black Heart) White Alps || Clueboard 60% Cream Damped Alps || Omnikey Ultra-TP || Omnikey Ultra

Offline megaforce

Re: [IC] GMK Mojave
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 10:31:36 »
gmk bill walton
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 10:33:27 »
Code: [Select]
[img]somesite.com/image.jpg[/img]

Offline falloutnerd2077

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 10:34:20 »
Oblotzky, do I not include the https://? That is currently how they're set up

Got it, thank you!
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2019, 10:38:54 by falloutnerd2077 »
Daily: Omnikey 101(Black Heart) White Alps || Clueboard 60% Cream Damped Alps || Omnikey Ultra-TP || Omnikey Ultra

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 10:38:23 »
Oblotzky, do I not include the https://? That is currently how they're set up

you can include it but you can't use IMG tags on an album. You have to use the direct image links (they end in .jpg, .png, etc). Open the album and right click > copy image address then put that link between the IMG tags.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 13:18:05 »
Leave it to a video-game-inspired set to be all brown and gray :D

Offline Bruek

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 13:46:42 »
I've wanted a New Vegas themed set forever. This looks absolutely killer! I'm totally in for this. With ISO and novelties included, i am a bit concerned about the price if this gets to the GB stage.
cronch

Offline falloutnerd2077

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 14:22:54 »
I've wanted a New Vegas themed set forever. This looks absolutely killer! I'm totally in for this. With ISO and novelties included, i am a bit concerned about the price if this gets to the GB stage.

Thanks a lot! The novelties are almost certain to be thinned out slightly, and depending on the price quote I may split kits up or simply remove keys. I'm fairly hellbent on full ISO compatibility in the base kit though, not for me, but for those ISO users who go so unloved by so many sets. The novelties and ISO may get their own sets as well, it all depends on what GMK says once contacted, but I'm going to let the post simmer for a bit and re run an IC with (much) updated colors, novelties, and actual compatibility kits, since I agree, a 151 key set is going to run a pretty penny, especially when there will be so many unused keys for so many users.

Leave it to a video-game-inspired set to be all brown and gray :D

As long as that's not a bad thing!

Offline mimalik

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 14:34:15 »
Change the title to GMK Bronze, but nice colour scheme, definitely something different.

Offline falloutnerd2077

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 14:39:23 »
Change the title to GMK Bronze, but nice colour scheme, definitely something different.

Why change the name? It's sort of central to the set's theme haha. Bronze does have a nice ring to it though. Thank you!

Offline packleadercho

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 17:00:37 »
Looks really interesting. Big fan of NV so this is neat. Do you have any concerns about copyright though? I remember seeing someone suggesting not using established IP logos/art in that Ferrari inspired GMK IC, so that's got me wondering whether companies care about this stuff at all. Does anyone know what the policy is for this kind of thing?

Offline falloutnerd2077

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 17:12:38 »
Looks really interesting. Big fan of NV so this is neat. Do you have any concerns about copyright though? I remember seeing someone suggesting not using established IP logos/art in that Ferrari inspired GMK IC, so that's got me wondering whether companies care about this stuff at all. Does anyone know what the policy is for this kind of thing?
Honestly I'm not really too sure about copyright, but there have been runs of Fallout related keycaps before using actual artwork, so I guess it's either not a huge deal, or it's too niche for Bethesda to care about haha.

I certainly agree with not using Ferrari's anything though, they are very strict and harsh towards unwarranted use of their cars, let alone their name and logo.

If there are any copyright issues I will absolutely abide by any stipulations given though.

Offline packleadercho

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 23:39:21 »
Honestly I'm not really too sure about copyright, but there have been runs of Fallout related keycaps before using actual artwork, so I guess it's either not a huge deal, or it's too niche for Bethesda to care about haha.

I certainly agree with not using Ferrari's anything though, they are very strict and harsh towards unwarranted use of their cars, let alone their name and logo.

If there are any copyright issues I will absolutely abide by any stipulations given though.

Ah, wasn't aware that there were Fallout themed GMK sets before. It's probably totally fine then. I kind of hope companies that own IP continue to not care since this is such a niche hobby. Wish you the best with this set; I hope to see this make it to GB.

Offline falloutnerd2077

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 15:57:22 »
Ah, wasn't aware that there were Fallout themed GMK sets before. It's probably totally fine then. I kind of hope companies that own IP continue to not care since this is such a niche hobby. Wish you the best with this set; I hope to see this make it to GB.

Oh, I'm not sure about GMK sets, but I have a set of 00Keys' Out of the Vault keycaps. They're DSA and SA. I hope so as well! Thanks for the kind words, I hope it does too, but it will certainly be going through  revisions before a GB happens. I'm expecting at least one more IC, this one was my first, and I'm realizing a few novice mistakes I've made that I plan on correcting. I think if I get it refined and coherent enough, it has a good chance of becoming a reality.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 01:48:31 »
This looks killer! I've tried to design something similar a few months back, but couldn't quite pull off the colors. Couple of pointers tho:

• Until I read that the novelty was supposed to be a poker chip, I was thinking "what is the SW Empire logo doing here" for a few seconds
  • You can't use trademarks, there was a legal problem with that Nuka Cola keycap by 00zeR0 - but if you draw all the novelties yourself it should be fine
  • Have you considered DSA dyesub? It'd give you:
    • compatibility with 00zeR0's Fallout novelties
    • cheaper and more detailed custom keys
    • ability to do something dope, like using Monofonto for legends
    • better compatibility with weird layouts
  • Novelty "That Gun" Enter pls ;)

Take this with a grain of salt tho, just some ideas to consider. I like the set the way it is now too :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2019, 01:53:39 by TuCZnak »

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 03:04:18 »
Like the gold alphas

Offline falloutnerd2077

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 06:14:06 »

This looks killer!

• Until I read that the novelty was supposed to be a poker chip, I was thinking "what is the SW Empire logo doing here" for a few seconds
  • You can't use trademarks, there was a legal problem with that Nuka Cola keycap by 00zeR0 - but if you draw all the novelties yourself it should be fine
  • Have you considered DSA dyesub? It'd give you:
    • compatibility with 00zeR0's Fallout novelties
    • cheaper and more detailed custom keys
    • ability to do something dope, like using Monofonto for legends
    • better compatibility with weird layouts
    • Novelty "That Gun" Enter pls ;)
Thank you for the suggestions!

These are all good ideas! I adore the idea of using Monofonto, I believe it's entirely free, I'll have to look into it!

I personally really dislike uniform profiles, so DSA is a definite no go, but I was thinking about going dye-sub PBT instead for cost. I may try going through EnjoyPBT for it.

The novelties I was super over zealous on, they are almost all going to go away tbh, the picture ones at least. I did think about That Gun haha, maybe that'll make its way onto enter![/list]