Author Topic: kinesis advantage keycap replacement limitations  (Read 199637 times)

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
kinesis advantage keycap replacement limitations
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 13:03:45 »
Looks really nice!
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline boli

« Reply #251 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 17:10:33 »
Here's a few more pix of the black engraved caps, by daylight:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 40778[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 40780[/ATTACH]                                                   [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 40781[/ATTACH]

This one in particular illustrates better how it looks like IRL, less shine more dark elegance ;D

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 40779[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 February 2012, 17:12:59 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #252 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 05:36:40 »
What we need now, almost more than anything else....is a Kinesis Advantage Click Clack key. Whether it's 2D or 3D, just some art that is Kinesis keyboard worthy.
Not that I have any ideas, but just the concept of having something non-techy and contributing towards the artistic side of the keyboard, like your pics, Boli. Heck, all you need is a Darth Vader key cap!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline boli

« Reply #253 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 06:39:24 »
If the Kinesis had a proper escape button I'd have put a red key cap on it (like I did on my TE), as the single "special" key.

Personally I don't care about Click Clack keys or other key caps with weird 3D surfaces. To be fair a Darth Vader would look pretty neat on a full black Advantage.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 February 2012, 06:53:38 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #254 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 12:44:48 »
Quote from: boli;516899
-If the Kinesis had a proper escape button I'd have put a red key cap on it (like I did on my TE), as the single "special" key.

-Personally I don't care about Click Clack keys or other key caps with weird 3D surfaces.

-To be fair a Darth Vader would look pretty neat on a full black Advantage.

With you 100% on all 3 statements.
I'd be good with a 2D key, right in the very middle of the keyboard, that didn't perform any other function when pressed other than make the sound of a womans voice: "Oh, Input Nirvana, you're plundering my booty!"
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline boli

« Reply #255 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 13:22:53 »
:D

Offline kps

« Reply #256 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 15:57:01 »
Quote from: boli;515968
BTW the WASDkeyboards website was updated with a 105 key custom designer, and while they were at it they raised the price of custom layout key caps to $80, up from $60.
You had me scared for a moment! But no, the price of a custom set is still $60, which is -$80 from a custom keyboard.

Offline boli

« Reply #257 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 16:00:23 »
Quote from: kps;517258
You had me scared for a moment! But no, the price of a custom set is still $60, which is -$80 from a custom keyboard.

Oh, right you are, thanks for the correction. Will fix misleading earlier posts.

Edit: Hmm, in the keyboard designer it looks like it's $59.99 for just the key caps and +$10 for the custom design for a total of $69.99.

Now I'm actually unsure what is was before the recent designer update. Earlier I wrote $59.99 total, but had I missed the $10 for custom all along, or did the price increase by $10?
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 February 2012, 16:18:38 by boli »

Offline kps

« Reply #258 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 19:20:54 »
Quote from: boli;517263
I wrote $59.99 total, but had I missed the $10 for custom all along, or did the price increase by $10?

Neither, it's just that the tool is a bit confusing in that respect. The $59.99 includes the etched or engraved layout shown in the Flash tool. Hit "Preset designs" and select the blank layout, and the price drops to $49.99; then uploading your design brings it back to $59.99.

Offline minnus

« Reply #259 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 22:37:16 »
Out of curiosity, has anyone attempted to dye or paint the body of the keyboard?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #260 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 02:30:01 »
Sure.
Go to my sig and hit the link, follow it down to the Kinesis Gallery towards the end and see several painted keyboards.

And, the Kinesis Advantage Pro, is a black plastic board, with silver paint on the top half of the case. It's painted overseas with some pretty good paint, I've never seen one scratched.

Offline minnus

« Reply #261 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 13:01:14 »
Wow - thanks for the awesome resource input nirvana!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #262 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 14:09:51 »
Membership has it's privileges :)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 08:10:12 »
Just thought I'd mention that to get the proper "G"/"H" row profile on the 6 lower side pinky keys and the proper number row/function row profile on the 2 upper side pinky keys, you can order from the following in round 4 (note that the first options are PBT, the second are doubleshot ABS... blank ones):

Choose 6 from the following, or add an X after the 125 to get 10 for the price of 9:

Item                  Qty   $   Description
BLANKPBT/R3U125/BLUE       1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 3 / ASDFGH row) /50
BLANKPBT/R3U125/WHITE       1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 3 / ASDFGH row) /50
BLANKPBT/R3U125/BLACK       1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 3 / ASDFGH row) /50

BLANK/R3U125/WHITE          1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 3 / ASDFGH row) /50
BLANK/R3U125/VERYDARKGREY    1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 3 / ASDFGH row) /50
BLANK/R3U125/BLACK          1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 3 / ASDFGH row) /50
BLANK/R3U125/LIGHTGREY       1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 3 / ASDFGH row) /50
BLANK/R3U125/DARKGREY       1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 3 / ASDFGH row) /50
BLANK/R3U125/CLEAR          1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 3 / ASDFGH row) /50

Choose 2 from the following, or add an X after the 125 to get 10 for the price of 9:

Item                  Qty   $   Description
BLANKPBT/R1U125/BLUE       1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 1 / Function row) /50
BLANKPBT/R1U125/WHITE       1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 1 / Function row) /50
BLANKPBT/R1U125/BLACK       1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 1 / Function row) /50

BLANK/R1U125/WHITE          1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 1 / Function row) /50
BLANK/R1U125/VERYDARKGREY    1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 1 / Function row) /50
BLANK/R1U125/BLACK          1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 1 / Function row) /50
BLANK/R1U125/LIGHTGREY       1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 1 / Function row) /50
BLANK/R1U125/DARKGREY       1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 1 / Function row) /50
BLANK/R1U125/CLEAR          1   2   Blank 1.25 units (row 1 / Function row) /50

To order, send a PM to 7bit_R4:
http://geekhack.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=11268

The PM should look like:

BLANKPBT/R3U125/BLACK 6
BLANKPBT/R1U125/BLACK 2
EMAIL myaddress@mydomain.com

I hope that I understood input nirvana's post on the 6th page correctly and that those are indeed the profiles needed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 08:19:23 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline boli

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 08:37:27 »
Yeah I saw that too.

One has to take care regarding row numbers, as SP and WASDkeyboards use different terminology. In this thread we used the WASD terminology, whereas the group buy round 4 uses the SP terminology.

If I understand correctly this is it:
  • Num row: SP row 1, WASDkb row 4
  • QWERTY row: SP row 2, WASDkb row 3
  • ASDFGH row: SP row 3, WASDkb row 2
  • ZXCVBN row: SP row 4, WASDkb row 1
  • Bottom modifier row: SP row ?, WASDkb row 1
Input Nirvana's post on page 6 with key issues. The 1.25 wide keys are issues #1 and #2.

#1: 6 pinky keys Should be WASDkb R2 (or SP R3), but WASD doesn't have those, so we made do with WASDkb R1.
#2: 2 pinky keys Should be WASDkb R4  (or SP R1), but WASD doesn't have those, so we made do with WASDkb R1.

Thanks oneproduct, it looks like you picked the proper SP keys. :)

Also, I think the group buy offers spherical keys as well, for people who prefer the 8 spherical home position keys.

I gave ordering some of the SP keys a thought as well, but I don't think I'll do it. While I do like the round3 style doubleshots (judging from pictures), which is even available as Colemak set, a Kinesis set would be somewhat incomplete as a few keys (such as the 1.25 wide keys, the Kinesis bottom row keys as well as the thumb keys) wouldn't have a proper label. For blank sets it should work fine though.

WASD key caps should soon be available with custom labels, so all but 4 keys can be replaced with decent (if occasionally not exact) caps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 08:55:55 by boli »

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 09:39:22 »
For the spherical keys on the homerow, you can order from these:

Item - Qty - Price - Description
BLANKSPH/R3U100D/SPHBLUE    1   2   Blank 1 unit key with deep dish /50
BLANKSPH/R3U100D/SPHGREY    1   2   Blank 1 unit key with deep dish /50
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.

Offline kps

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 09:56:57 »
Quote from: oneproduct;521821
For the spherical keys on the homerow, you can order from these:

Item - Qty - Price - Description
BLANKSPH/R3U100D/SPHBLUE    1   2   Blank 1 unit key with deep dish /50
BLANKSPH/R3U100D/SPHGREY    1   2   Blank 1 unit key with deep dish /50

Note that those are significantly taller than the Kinesis home keys. However, if there are more than a couple orders, I expect 7bit would be willing to add an "ASDFJKL;" SPH set, since the keys are already being made for regular sets.

Offline boli

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 17:49:45 »
I suppose one would ideally get 8 sphericals and the rest cylindricals from the round 4 group buy so they would match, or is it just the sphericals that are extra long?

I ask because I found this in IN's sig, apparently the cylindrical key caps in the pic are shorter than stock:

Other than that they look pretty much what I saw from some round 3 group buy pics. I quite like that style. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 17:51:59 by boli »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #268 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 19:42:40 »
Quote from: boli;522269
I suppose one would ideally get 8 sphericals and the rest cylindricals from the round 4 group buy so they would match, or is it just the sphericals that are extra long?

I ask because I found this in IN's sig, apparently the cylindrical key caps in the pic are shorter than stock:

Show Image

Other than that they look pretty much what I saw from some round 3 group buy pics. I quite like that style. :)

The pic is from this Geekhack thread:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?13894-Mmmm-ergo-Kinesis-Advantage-)

The info source may have dried up, may be worth a PM?
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 19:44:58 by input nirvana »

Offline boli

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 02:12:31 »
IN, your sig is quite a treasure trove. This trackball looks very comfortable for right handed people. :)

Quote from: input nirvana;522393
The pic is from this Geekhack thread:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?13894-Mmmm-ergo-Kinesis-Advantage-)

The info source may have dried up, may be worth a PM?

Aha, SP keys from Whiterice, which seem to be a quarter inch (~6 mm!?) shorter than the stock Kinesis. No part no.

And I see you've been on your quest for replacement key caps for over a year. :)

Update: rantenki is still active on GH, I sent a PM to ask for details.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 February 2012, 02:38:31 by boli »

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 05:50:44 »
Not sure if the type of people who are into Kineses are into novelty keycaps, but there's longcat and tacgnol (longcat spelled backwards, and his eternal nemesis!) novelty keycaps that are numpad enter sized and I think they'd look hilarious facing each other from across the two thumb keywells! http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?26824-TACGNOL-ADDED!-Meme-keys-group-buy

Who doesn't love cats? :)
Tacgnol in particular needs more orders or is at risk of getting cut. :(

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #271 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 13:10:36 »
Quote from: boli;522856
IN, your sig is quite a treasure trove. This trackball looks very comfortable for right handed people. :)

Aha, SP keys from Whiterice, which seem to be a quarter inch (~6 mm!?) shorter than the stock Kinesis. No part no.

And I see you've been on your quest for replacement key caps for over a year. :)

Update: rantenki is still active on GH, I sent a PM to ask for details.

-He did a nice job on the trackball mod, it's documented on GH and generated interest. I may not have linked it in article...I'll go back and link it if I didn't.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?17582-My-Kinesis-Keyboard-mod&highlight=kinesis+trackball
-Have not had time to follow up and check status of key replacement, so didn't check on Whiterice info. I'm gone a lot for another week :(
-Been doing the "Kinesis mod thingy" for a while now, you guys are late to the party!...But it's far more fun with you guys, so better late than never :)
-Good you sent PM

Offline boli

« Reply #272 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 16:18:02 »
Cheers for the link. Really sweet mod, very clean and useful looking.

I ordered a small rubber mat to fasten the Trackpad on top of the Kinesis for a while, hope it works.

About your mod thingy, I'm reading it a bit at a time lest I get too excited and do something expensive. :P

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #273 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 17:30:39 »
Quote from: boli;522856
IN, your sig is quite a treasure trove.

Meh, it has a lot of useful and interesting info everybody with a Kinesis should be aware of. And people without a Kinesis :)

Now THESE are treasure troves:
http://www.maxim.com/girls/videos-hot-girls-washing-cars-0
http://www.fhm.com/girls

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #274 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 02:10:02 »
I finally was able to go over Oneproducts info (sorry I referred to as WhiteRice earlier, confused with the pic/link of the Kinesis with keys replaced).

So key issues #1 and #2 can be resolved with some restrictions on color. They can be PBT or (did you say blank doubleshot?) ABS. Now this just begs the question about the rest of the keys being PBT....

Issue #3 - We need to clarify/keep checking on the sphericals (height issues?)?
Issue #4 - The 4 tall thumb keys....NEMESIS!

I like the kittys for the thumb keys...they have a bit of understated style.... :)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #275 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 17:08:53 »
Quote from: input nirvana;525280
or (did you say blank doubleshot?) ABS

Yes, they are blank, but they are doubleshot just to keep the same thickness as the other keys.

Quote from: input nirvana;525280
I like the kittys for the thumb keys...they have a bit of understated style.... :)

Please help by ordering some longcat and, more importantly, tacgnol <-- that guy is going to get cut unless we get 27 more orders :(
Go go Kinesis users! http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?26824-TACGNOL-ADDED!-Meme-keys-group-buy

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #276 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 23:03:58 »
Quote from: oneproduct;525957
Yes, they are blank, but they are doubleshot just to keep the same thickness as the other keys.

Please help by ordering some longcat and, more importantly, tacgnol <-- that guy is going to get cut unless we get 27 more orders :(
Go go Kinesis users! http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?26824-TACGNOL-ADDED!-Meme-keys-group-buy

I am totally interested in doubleshot blanks for ALL keys. Where can I see pics of the colors? The Kinesis deserves higher quality key caps.

The cats are cool, and are coolest as a set. I could be good for a set, possibly a second.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #277 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 02:09:38 »
The colors will match the ones that are being used in the main sets which you can see here: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20485-Double-shot-replacements-ROUND-FOUR!-6-days-2-go!

I'm not sure if there are minimum order requirements for these blank keys.

The cats are cool, and are coolest as a set. I could be good for a set, possibly a second.

Go for two! :) If we don't get enough orders for the black on white cat there won't be any sets at all!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #278 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 02:39:54 »
Quote from: oneproduct;526491
The colors will match the ones that are being used in the main sets which you can see here: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20485-Double-shot-replacements-ROUND-FOUR!-6-days-2-go!

I'm not sure if there are minimum order requirements for these blank keys.

Go for two! :) If we don't get enough orders for the black on white cat there won't be any sets at all!

I only spent a short time on the thread, and then on the wiki-order page (a crazy amount of over-info...I love it!), but I'm going to try and determine if it is possible to replace all the key caps on a Kinesis, although maybe not the 4 extra-tall thumb-modifiers with the doubleshot blanks. I like the doubleshots the early Kinesis boards came with, but not the fact the 'skirt' was shorter, and I don't care for having legends, but I like the thicker key caps, there is a slight difference in sound and they are obviously smoother.

If it is possible, maybe someone may choose to get doubleshot kegended, doubleshot non-legended, or PBT keycaps for their Kinesis...they have till the end of February to place the order.

Offline boli

« Reply #279 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 03:30:21 »
End of February is just 2 days away, so I ordered a few group buy round 4 caps after all:
ROUND3/ALPHA
ROUND3/COLEMAK
BLANKPBT/R1U125/BLACK 4
BLANKPBT/R3U125X/BLACK
BLANKPBT/R3U125/BLACK 2

That is one (default grey) Colemak set (letters and numbers only), as well as 2 sets of the 1.25 units wide side keys in black blank PBT.

I think I'll only use the letter keys of the Colemak set, because the 3# and 8* keys are the wrong profile for a Kinesis... and one set of side keys might be used on another Kinesis, that's why I get 2 sets.

BTW the Alpha set is a lot cheaper ($39 vs. $83) than a TKL set. A TKL set would only add arrows and Home and PageUp keys fitting for a Kinesis Advantage, so it's not worth it IMO.

I'm not sure you can get a full blank Kinesis set for a reasonable price, because you might have to buy 2 numpad sets in order to get the long thumb keys (NumPadEnter specifically). The other stuff should be OK, like Kinesis Delete and Enter should be R4U200H I think. But then again, I haven't checked in detail.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #280 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 07:36:01 »
Heads up boli, you can order just a set of alpha-colemak instead of a set of qwerty alphas + supplemental colemak to save some $

ROUND3/ALPHACOLEMAK

Offline boli

« Reply #281 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 10:56:21 »
Oh sweet, thanks!

I guess this second PM should take care of it:
ROUND3/ALPHA 0
ROUND3/COLEMAK 0
ROUND3/ALPHACOLEMAK
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2012, 11:05:06 by boli »

Offline kps

« Reply #282 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 11:47:32 »
Although it's very late, I think there is a good chance that 7bit would put together a Kinesis-replacement set provided
- you order at least 3 copies
- you assemble the set from keys that already exist (which would mean blanks for =/+ and so on),
OR
- your order a whole bunch of copies
I suggest you decide on and propose a 'Kinesis addon' set with the various 1.25 keys and thumb keys and such that are not part of the ALPHA sets, and see how many you'd have to order. SP profiles do include the tall keys. The DCS profile, with DSA for the home keys, is close to (if not exactly) the original Kinesis keys.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #283 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 11:58:56 »
I'm not available until late today to sift through and make sense of the limitless options for the group buy.

At this time, I'm only interested in one set black set of keys with NO legends, I don't know if anyone else (at least 3 copies) is interested in that.
The SP profiles "do include the tall keys"? The 4 tall keys in the thumb clusters we have been grousing about?
As far as the home keys, that seems like a reasonable replacement, or sticking with that particular row designated keys (G, H)

Offline kps

« Reply #284 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 12:22:58 »
Other than SPH, the Round 4 sets are DCS profile shownhere. It looks like the tall keys, DCS Row 5, are not used in any of the current Round 4 sets.

Offline kps

« Reply #285 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 13:01:28 »
I think that the following special keys, on top of ALPHA and CURARROWS sets, would fill a Kinesis.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41962[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure how realistic this to Round 4 is, unless someone wants a couple dozen of them.

Offline boli

« Reply #286 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 13:22:36 »
Quote from: kps;528203
I think that the following special keys, on top of ALPHA and CURARROWS sets, would fill a Kinesis.

(Attachment Link) 41962[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure how realistic this to Round 4 is, unless someone wants a couple dozen of them.

Yeah that'd be almost the exact set needed for a Kinesis Advantage. All except the Backspace and Space, that would have to be NumPadEnter Profile (unless a vertical DCS R4 has this profile?)

Personally I'd prefer to skip the sphericals (DSA) and go with the default DCS Row 3 keys from an ALPHA set instead. Also ideally I'd like 2x Cmd and 1x Option and instead of 1x Ctrl and 2x Alt.

Quote from: input nirvana;528126
At this time, I'm only interested in one set black set of keys with NO legends, I don't know if anyone else (at least 3 copies) is interested in that.

For the sake of quickly getting something together for round 4 I'd take one blank black PBT Kinesis set (no sphericals needed), so together with Input Nirvana we'd have 2. Update: I should clarify I mean only the additional Kinesis keys, not including the ALPHA or CURARROWS sets.

Anyone for a 3rd set?
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2012, 14:54:18 by boli »

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 14:08:42 »
I'm pretty much just interested in getting ones that can't be gotten elsewhere, so in this case the 8 keys on the sides that are already available in the group buy:

BLANKPBT/R3U125/BLACK 6
BLANKPBT/R1U125/BLACK 2

But if they do indeed have the tall profile keys it may be worth asking about those.

Outside of those I think it would be way too expensive. You can get a cheap PBT set elsewhere to cover all the alpha keys (replacing the sphericals) and most of the numbers and then go to WASDkeyboards to get the few missing ones in ABS. I really only care that the keys that I use most are PBT, if at all. For the numpad enters I'm getting longcat and tacgnol from the meme key group buy. :)

So that being said, if anything I think that we should focus on getting the order I listed above into enough quantities so that it actually happens and maybe the tall keys if possible.

Offline boli

« Reply #288 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 14:40:22 »
Good points. I dunno what PBT feels like, unless the original Kinesis Advantage keys are PBT, that is. Wouldn't mind getting 12 of the tall DCS row 5 thumb keys (PBT black blank) if available, beats sandpapering them. ;)

Update: Just PMed 7bit asking on his opinion for the possibility of these 3 Kinesis sets:
- A: The 8 1.25 wide keys
- B: The 4 tall thumb keys
- C: The Kinesis full add-on set as suggested by kps
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2012, 15:02:49 by boli »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #289 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 16:41:29 »
Thanks you guys for figuring out several solutions, and proposing them to 7bit. I don't have time to go over until late tonite/tomorrow.

I also need to kick around the idea of a few extra keys for the added keys to the Kinesis, I contacted Sordna to see what he used/thinks is best. I've never crossed that bridge with my mods yet.

Offline rirakuma

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 22:34:55 »
Hi,

This is a great project. I'm so glad I found you guys, been dreaming of this myself, so I would like to help out if I can.

I can put money towards a group buy, either blank keycaps or Colemak.

I will be watching this thread, hope I can be of assistance in anyway.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2012, 22:37:45 by rirakuma »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 01:27:58 »
Another Kinesis Colmakian? We're not so rare after all! lol

I still haven't seen the entire kit and what the keys are/cost, but we have a couple more days to see what we can do on this.

Welcome aboard!

Offline gnorsilva

« Reply #292 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 02:15:11 »
Hi, Yes, great project! Bought myself a Kinesis advantage (black) about a month ago and the second is on the way!!

I'd like to get two full sets of blank black keys but with blank blues for the home row. Willing to contribute to the group buy.

Just a bit overwhelmed by all the different combinations of keys and sizes, so not sure how much that would cost or if I'm even posting in the right thread!

P.s. Once I get the blanks I'll be converting to Colemak :)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 04:53:40 »
Another one? Yikes! Falling out of the sky like rain drops, we are! :)

To put this together with this particular group key buy on such short notice, can Oneproduct/Boli/Kps possibly list out the purchase of the key caps? Like it would be sent to 7bit as an order? As a blank order, and as a Colemak legended order? I don't know if color or doubleshot ABS verses PBT will make a difference on sets (ie: would the kits be different if you ordered it as a doubleshot ABS than as a PBT?). Obviously mixing colors may change the way it's ordered.

It seems we may have half a dozen sets (total)...I'm not clear on what the minimums may be, or if we need to all order the same, etc....maybe we need to wait this one out? Are there other options that Oneproduct mentioned? Boli, did you ever hear back from 7bit?

I'm sorry I'm not more put together with this...it popped up suddenly on our radar, and I'm not even sure if everything matches the way we want. I am mostly gone for another couple days, but will be involved more by the weekend...just in the nick of time!

Offline boli

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 05:31:45 »
Just wait IN, the Kinesis Colemakians might yet be converted to a ColeMalt layout with E on the left thumb. :)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #295 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 06:26:51 »
Yea, I really want to start using my thumb for a letter, and I finally caved in to get a truly ergonomic so that I'd have a keyboard with two thumb keys so that I can stick to using that thumb for a letter even when I'm on the go (the main reason I want the TE is just because it's small).

If we do double shot ABS it will be much cheaper because we can get an alpha-numerial kit (number row, all letters, punctuation) for a reasonable price because they match with sets that can be ordered through the group buy whereas for PBT ones we'd be the only ones ordering them really.

So if you want to get a whole set in double shot ABS it's possible (with Colemak instead of qwerty at no additional cost) BUT if you want to do PBT (as I do) then it's better to buy a blank set from elsewhere at a cheaper price and just get the PBT keys that we couldn't find elsewhere from this group buy, which are the 8 side keys of size 1.25 and the 4 tall keys in the thumb cluster (but these tall keys aren't available in the group buy at the moment).

There would be a few other keys missing, such as the 2x numpad enter which you couldn't get from a single blank PBT set. I'll try to figure out what would be missing after a blank 87/104 set that you could order from imsto or qtan and convert it into a round 4 order.

EDIT: Darn, I just remembered everyone talking about how it was literally impossible to get a blank black set of PBT keys. For no particular reason, KBC sells blank white and both black and white engraved, but not blank black.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 February 2012, 06:33:50 by oneproduct »

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #296 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 07:11:49 »
Okay, for doubleshot ABS, white text on black keys with a few blank black keys for the custom parts we need:

//letters and numbers, pick one of the following - $42 total
NOIR/ALPHA 1
NOIR/ALPHACOLEMAK 1
NOIR/ALPHADVORAK 1

//the arrow keys - $3 total
NOIR/CURARROWS 1

//the four keys next to the arrow keys - $1.2 each
BLANK/R4U100/BLACK 4

//OPTIONAL: these would replace the labelled 3 and 8 number keys with blank keys of proper profile - $1.2 each
BLANK/R2U100/BLACK 2

//the keys along the sides of the keyboard - $2 each
BLANK/R1U125/BLACK 2
BLANK/R3U125/BLACK 6

//the standard size thumb cluster keys - $1.2 each
BLANK/R1U100/BLACK 2
BLANK/R3U100/BLACK 2

//numpad enter I think. It's considered row 1 rather than row 2 right? Row 2 is also available if I'm wrong - $3.6 each
BLANK/R4U200V/BLACK 2

//numpad 0 $3.6 each
BLANK/R4U200H/BLACK 2

Total
$42
$3
8*$2
8*$1.2 (or 10*$1.2 if you want to replace the labbeled 3 and 8 keys with blanks of proper profile)
4*$3.6
------
$85

So you would send this message to 7bit_R4 (http://geekhack.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=11268)

NOIR/ALPHACOLEMAK 1
NOIR/CURARROWS 1
BLANK/R4U100/BLACK 4
BLANK/R2U100/BLACK 2
BLANK/R1U125/BLACK 2
BLANK/R3U125/BLACK 6
BLANK/R1U100/BLACK 2
BLANK/R3U100/BLACK 2
BLANK/R4U200V/BLACK 2
BLANK/R4U200H/BLACK 2
EMAIL youremail@yourdomain.com

Someone should double check if I picked the right row profiles maybe. The row profile is shown in each key order by BLANK/R# <--

Note that this still leaves the tall thumb cluster keys unaccounted for. Also, I'm not sure if the side keys actually exist or not, or whether 7bit just listed every possible combination of row and size...
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2012, 00:11:13 by oneproduct »

Offline boli

« Reply #297 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 11:56:29 »
Quote from: input nirvana;530617
It seems we may have half a dozen sets (total)...I'm not clear on what the minimums may be, or if we need to all order the same, etc....maybe we need to wait this one out? Are there other options that Oneproduct mentioned? Boli, did you ever hear back from 7bit?

No, haven't heard anything from 7bit.

Speaking about half a dozen sets, I don't want a full blank set, just those keys that aren't in an AlphaColemak set (this wasn't clear in my previous post before I edited it). As there's no such thing ATM I'll pass, or rather leave the order I placed alone (AlphaColemak + 8 side keys).

Quote from: oneproduct;530647
Someone should double check if I picked the right row profiles maybe.

BLANK/R1U100/BLACK 4

These should be R4 I think (when counting from the top, unlike WASDkeyboards)

//numpad enter I think. It's considered row 1 rather than row 2 right? Row 2 is also available if I'm wrong - $3.6 each
BLANK/R1U200V/BLACK 2

I'd have expected this to the R4 - lowest row, but then again I'm not even sure the Vertical really matches a NumPadEnter profile.

//numpad 0 $3.6 each
BLANK/R1U200H/BLACK 2

Shouldn't this be R4 too?
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 February 2012, 12:09:38 by boli »

Offline boli

« Reply #298 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 12:09:02 »
Quote from: oneproduct;530647
Someone should double check if I picked the right row profiles maybe.

BLANK/R1U100/BLACK 4

These should be R4 I think (when counting from the top, unlike WASDkeyboards)

BLANK/R1U200V/BLACK 2

I'd have expected this to the R4 - lowest row, but then again I'm not even sure the Vertical really matches a NumPadEnter profile.

//numpad 0 $3.6 each
BLANK/R1U200H/BLACK 2

Shouldn't this be R4 too?

Offline hayesdaniel

« Reply #299 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 19:30:49 »
Hey guys, I'm late to the party but I'd love to get in on order a set of black, blank kenesis keycaps. How do I do that? :)