Author Topic: EDC: Whats in your bag or pocket?  (Read 66720 times)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: EDC: Whats in your bag or pocket?
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 19:44:39 »
i try demik, i try. it's hard when tablet-wielding homophobes try to take your shine.

and i don't understand why you think 'child-sized' bicycle is some kind of insult. sorry you fell off your bike as a kid :(

I don't know why you'd think it was an insult either.  It's a statement of fact, bmx bikes are child-sized. 

Also, tablet-wielding homophobes is a band out of Wisconsin.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 19:45:44 »
i try demik, i try. it's hard when tablet-wielding homophobes try to take your shine.

and i don't understand why you think 'child-sized' bicycle is some kind of insult. sorry you fell off your bike as a kid :(

I don't know why you'd think it was an insult either.  It's a statement of fact, bmx bikes are child-sized. 

some bmx bikes maybe. i dont know a lot of kids who would fit well on mine (21" TT, 9" rise bars... i'm a lanky mother****er)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 19:47:53 »

some bmx bikes maybe. i dont know a lot of kids who would fit well on mine (21" TT, 9" rise bars... i'm a lanky mother****er)

Tall people used to be tall children as well, I'm sure.  And of course you're a lanky mofo, you're Will Smith.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 20:24:38 »
So other than backpacks and messenger bags, does anyone here carry a manbag/murse? I got a leather briefcase a year ago (Vagabond Traveler, basically a copy of Saddleback Leather), but damn the thing is heavy. I could get a smaller leather bag, but if I carry something smallish, my wife asks me if I remembered my purse when we go out.

Women don't have to fill their pockets with all this stuff, why are men not allowed to carry a stylish bag with their accoutrements?

Indiana Jones carried a bag. As did Chewbacca, and I don't think anyone gave Chewbacca sh*t about carrying a bag...

P.S. I'm working on a photo of my EDC. I have a lot of crap. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 20:25:55 »
So other than backpacks and messenger bags, does anyone here carry a manbag/murse? I got a leather briefcase a year ago (Vagabond Traveler, basically a copy of Saddleback Leather), but damn the thing is heavy. I could get a smaller leather bag, but if I carry something smallish, my wife asks me if I remembered my purse when we go out.

Women don't have to fill their pockets with all this stuff, why are men not allowed to carry a stylish bag with their accoutrements?

Indiana Jones carried a bag. As did Chewbacca, and I don't think anyone gave Chewbacca sh*t about carrying a bag...

women don't have to carry stylish bags either. most of the women i know don't :\
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline blackrim

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 20:27:13 »
So other than backpacks and messenger bags, does anyone here carry a manbag/murse?

I carry a filson computer bag briefcase when I don't ride my bike to work (http://www.filson.com/products/briefcase-computer-bag.70257.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=luggage/briefcases-and-laptop-bags&fmetaProduct=1019). Nice alternative to the saddleback type thing.
Realforce TKL 45g | HHKB (white and black) | Filco TKL blues | Das Ultimate browns | Kinesis Advantage

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 20:38:27 »
you need to meet more stylish women
Keyboardless

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 20:38:58 »

get a fanny pack or a big jacket, problem solved.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 22:48:55 »
I recently found my Jansport fanny pack. I'm gonna start using it like this guy.

Keyboardless

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:17:19 »
Okay, here is my EDC. I work out of a vehicle, mostly, so I can carry quite a lot of stuff with me on a daily basis. The bag just gives me somewhere to keep it all conveniently.

Leather briefcase from Vagabond Traveler. I burned my name onto the front flap using a woodburning iron. Small toolkit fits in the zippered pouch. Includes leather work gloves, cable ties, ear plugs, box cutter, multi-bit screwdrivers, long nose pliers, mini hack saw, 6" vise grips, 8" pry bar.

Bandana, Dettol hand sanitizer, Curel hand lotion, Burt's Bees lip balm, tweezers, plastic utencils, Nook eReader, Oakley Fives Squared sunglasses, two Streamlight flashlights (ProTac 2AAA, MicroStream), Zippo lighter, Zebra F-701 pen (all metal mod), Pentel P205 mechanical pencil, Sharpie fine tip permanent marker, Smith & Wesson SWAT folding knife, emergency whistle. Keyring with: tool from Mosin-Nagant rifle, Streamlight Nano flashlight, modified Leatherman Micra, carabiner.

Pocket carry: Letherman Fuse Multitool (in leather pouch on belt), iPhone 4S in Magpul case, wallet, Casio G-Shock watch, keys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2013, 17:58:38 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:22:31 »
You guys all seem to have knifes? Do you go about looking to get mugged? Just walking down dark alleys in the middle of the night?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:25:09 »
Just ordered this knife: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZBMRC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Excited to finally own a decent knife!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:25:40 »
You guys all seem to have knives? Do you go about looking to get mugged? Just walking down dark alleys in the middle of the night?
double post? woops
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:27:28 »
You guys all seem to have knifes? Do you go about looking to get mugged? Just walking down dark alleys in the middle of the night?

Knives are useful tools. If I think I'm going to be somewhere that I might get mugged, I'll throw this in my pocket:

Unfortunately, I can't carry this with me while at work. I am in sales, and I call mainly on companies where any type of weapon (not a knife, that's a tool, remember), even just in your vehicle, on their property will get you in deep trouble. And they reserve the right to search any vehicle or person that enters their property.

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:29:38 »
Just ordered this knife: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZBMRC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Very nice! Looks like a high quality folder. I'm jealous now... :)

in memoriam

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:30:03 »

Knives are useful tools. If I think I'm going to be somewhere that I might get mugged, I'll throw this in my pocket:
Show Image

Unfortunately, I can't carry this with me while at work. I am in sales, and I call mainly on companies where any type of weapon (not a knife, that's a tool, remember), even just in your vehicle, on their property will get you in deep trouble. And they reserve the right to search any vehicle or person that enters their property.

jdcarpe, you have so many goodies @.@

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:31:06 »

Awesome!  Let me know how you like it.  I love both of my Benchmades.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:54:52 »

Show Image

That is a very nice piece.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:56:59 »
Jdcarpe you's a g

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 17:09:26 »
That brass zippo ;o
Keyboardless

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 21:45:52 »
Tsangan, get this for your EDC.

Keyboardless

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 23:37:14 »
Doesn't match my EDC at all hahha
Keyboardless

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 23:37:59 »
yeah, needs to be all black!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:02:56 »
Show Image

oakland checking in... muggers aren't going to give you time to draw. when you get mugged, you empty your pockets and stay alive, or try to hold on to your material possessions and get aired out. seriously, a phone can be replaced and a credit card cancelled. i understand the desire to protect yourself/family at home or in situations where you're not being jumped on the street, but that's a little unrealistic. don't get hurt!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:11:46 »
yeah, even though you own a gun you just can't be stupid about it.

sometimes it's better to lose that iphone than try to be rambo and pull out your gun.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:42:47 »
I guess maybe it's Canada or the area I'm in but I'm never scared of being mugged, but then again there are bad areas here and there, just that I hear it more in the US
Keyboardless

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:43:44 »
well if you come to oakland for the next bay area meet up i'll show you around :P
might wanna leave the fancy kicks at home though.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:49:33 »
well if you come to oakland for the next bay area meet up i'll show you around :P
might wanna leave the fancy kicks at home though.
I'm scared :behindcouch:

I'm literally used to walking around at 2am and have your wallet sticking out and nothing will happen
Keyboardless

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:51:01 »
yeah, something is going to happen in oakland.

either the cops or the people. one of them will get you.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:51:06 »
yeah, that's what my hometown is like. i went back to visit for a few days and rather than staying out drinking at the bar, i walked across town at night with my headphones on just because i could.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:51:42 »
wait.... you cant do that in oakland? wtf....

then again i wouldn't either when I was in philly
Keyboardless

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:52:26 »
it would be a dumb thing to do in certain areas... no point in lowering your awareness / advertising that you're carrying an expensive electronic device.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:47:43 »
wait.... you cant do that in oakland? wtf....

then again i wouldn't either when I was in philly

So, you're back in Canada now??
Keyboardless

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:15:18 »
^ Yes, he's back in Canada for now.

Here's mine...  I don't like to carry a lot of stuff. lol

Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:18:35 »
Reaper I thought you'd carry a scythe

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:18:54 »
reaper, where can I get that key tool?

in memoriam

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:23:23 »
Reaper I thought you'd carry a scythe

Ah yes, it's in the shop atm...  getting sharpened.

Not mine btw.  I wish I had a scythe that cool. lol

reaper, where can I get that key tool?

You can get it from here..  :)

http://ttpockettools.blogspot.com/p/pocket-tools.html

Din Eli

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:32:34 »

Ordered. Thanks for sharing! That thing is f'ing awesome...

in memoriam

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:41:03 »

Ordered. Thanks for sharing! That thing is f'ing awesome...

Haha you're welcome and hope you enjoy it.  Todd from TTpockeTTools is a very cool guy to deal with.  :)
Din Eli

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:45:00 »

Old Nordic Proverb: "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"

jd, awesome that you carry zipties, aren't those the handiest things ever made? I buy some almost everytime I am in Harbor Freight

My Man purse:

Stuff I carry, although this is not as much as usual. Some stuff stays in the truck and some in my office desk:

I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:17:01 »
It's not a man purse, it's European!

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:31:16 »
So let me get one thing straight, USA is so dangerous on a regular basis that you always go carry weapons? That pretty ****ed up.

I just carry my wallet, carkeys and sunglasses.. and my real guns =)

Don't leave the house without these in my pockets:

Show Image

Keys w/2GB flash drive
Wallet
Motorola Droid
Zippo
Cigarettes

High five on the marlbs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:37:27 by phetto »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:42:09 »
why the **** do people feel the need to carry knifes?

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:43:02 »
^ This

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:46:01 »

because I use it on a daily basis. And because I can. My question is why wouldn't you?
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:46:03 »
Have you seen the knives carried by the Sami people of Norway? Holy crap! I was thinking of getting a 5" bladed one, but they say that is what they start children on. Even the 7" blade is said to be used primarily by women, as they have smaller hands. Google "Samekniv"

in memoriam

Offline Champloo

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:51:14 »

Because they are useful and can come in handy.  Just because someone carries a knife in their pocket doesn't mean they feel unsafe, it's thought of as an all purpose tool.  A knife is a jack of all trades and believe it or not, isn't just a weapon.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:53:34 »
Because people find them useful would be my guess

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:58:23 »
Ask any survival expert, and they will tell you the single most important piece of kit you carry is a cutting tool. With that one item, you can probably replicate almost anything you need in a wilderness self reliance type situation. But it is REALLY difficult to replicate a cutting tool. Knapping flint to create a reliable edge is a nightmare, even if you know what you're doing.

And a knife has so many uses, for its weight versus rate of return, there is no reason NOT to carry one.

in memoriam

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:06:14 »
because you might have to cut your arm/leg off if you get trapped under a log/rock like that one guy in that movie based on real life.
Keyboardless