Author Topic: 'ello  (Read 1875 times)

Offline glass_tank

'ello
« on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 17:30:55 »
Boy, do I have an interesting story to tell you!!
I don't actually :(
I'm exploring the mechanical side of keyboards and I've googled myself into these waters.
so.....hi folks...
I'm from Sloveia, Europe, which is where we keep all the natural beauty of Europe (shut up, France!).
Anyway, what we don't have is widespread use of mechanical keyboards, so I need your help.
I think I'd like something with Cherry MX Blue switches, as I won't be gaming with this.
I also don't need the number keypad thingy on the right, so the keyboard can the the smaller kind (You probably love the way I studied all the phrases and correct words). Oh, yeah, most importantly, I must be able to get the actual keyboard in Europe.
Hope I get some suggestions. And if not...at least say hi. Hi!

Offline intelli78

Re: 'ello
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 17:35:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack. Check out the QFR and Poker II if you're not familiar with them.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline glass_tank

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 00:42:55 »
cooler master does keyboards? I only remember them for their computer cases and well..coolers :D
The keyboard looks nice, but maybe just a bit too gamey.
I like the look of poker II but...where are the arrow keys? Am I missing something?
I think I'd prefer if the keyboard had the arrow keys as well.

Thanks so much for the reply, I'm still learning :)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 01:06:17 »
The only CM board worth buying is the CM Storm QFR. The Poker 2 doesn't have DEDICATED arrow keys, because it's a 60% form factor keyboard and most of those don't come with dedicated arrow keys. If you think the CM Storm QFR looks nice, but has too much of a 'gamer' look, you could go for a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL.

Anyway, welcome to GH. :)
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline larsjuhljensen

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 01:15:02 »
Welcome! I would also recommend the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (or QFR as it is known here). It's a reasonably priced, well built keyboard with a standard layout, except of course for the lack of the number pad.

I'm surprised that you find the QFR to look gamey. Are you sure that you didn't look at the QFR with red switches, which indeed looks gamey with all its red accents? The QFR with blue switches has a fairly neutral look to me.

Offline glass_tank

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 03:16:02 »
Hey guys, thanks for the helpful replies. I think I'm going to try the QFR as i think I'm gonna be needing my arrow keys and it doesn't seem as expensive as the Filco Majestouch. I might upgrade sometime later if I become a geekhack-er (wut?).
http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-Rapid-Tenkeyless-Mechanical/dp/B0068INSUM This one looks nice and neutral, but the one they have on CM's website is all branded in-your-face-360-noscope-headshot-gaming kind :)
Thanks again!

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 03:26:48 »
Yeah the QFR's used to have excessive branding, but not any longer. I believe 'geekhacker' is the correct term. :P If you end up liking the QFR, I recommend getting some new keycaps.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline glass_tank

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 03:51:01 »
Could I just ask you one more question? I'm searching for the QFR online and in Europe the Quickfire Rapid-I seems to be more widely available. Are there any noticeable differences between the regular QFR and the QFR-I, except the white LEDs?
I'd still prefer to go with cherry mx blues.
Thanks again

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 03:58:02 »
I'd go with the QFR because the QFR-I is twice as expensive. Unless you really want backlighting, of course. I'm not 100% sure about the specs, but I think the QFR-I is pretty much a backlit QFR with a minor difference in terms of aesthetics. Not sure who's the manufacturer for the QFR-I either, so perhaps it has different stabilizers (Cherry instead of Costar).

Offline glass_tank

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 03:59:37 »
Alright, thanks. Do you perchance know any reputable European keyboard/tech stores?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 04:10:42 »
Amazon.co.uk and Keyboardco.com.

Offline larsjuhljensen

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 04:43:30 »
I was emailing with Cooler Master's European shop. I got the impression that the QFR-I is for all practical purposes just a new QFR with LED lighting, which is supposed replace the original QFR. That would also explain the poor availability of the original QFR, as many shops appear to sell their current inventory of QFRs but do not restock them once sold out. So I would probably not want wait too long with buying a QFR, if I were you.

Offline glass_tank

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 05:05:58 »
Yeah, I already can't seem to find a good deal. Importing it from the USA would cost me almost as much as a Filco.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 05:10:13 »
Buy a used one from someone here in the classifieds or /r/mechmarket. Make them send it as a gift, so you don't have to pay import taxes.

Offline glass_tank

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:24:04 »
Yeah, I'm gonna try either that or just get a Filco. If it'll last me 5 years, then I'm not even paying that much per year.
Thanks for the great suggestions :)