Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 218849 times)

Offline dodgeyhack

Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 21:33:41 »

I've always felt that xtended exercises like that is very dangerous,  because by the end, when you're so tired,  You're definitely not mentally sharp,  so accidents can very easily happen..

It's one thing for Truck Drivers, because it's their damn job,

But for civilian to go through an extended ordeal is taking risk for no good reason

It really depends on your conditioning. I did a 72km ride before work this morning. Feel fine.
Now the ultra endurance racers are another story. Those riders push themselves right to the edge.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #451 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 20:07:59 »

I've always felt that xtended exercises like that is very dangerous,  because by the end, when you're so tired,  You're definitely not mentally sharp,  so accidents can very easily happen..

But for civilian to go through an extended ordeal is taking risk for no good reason

It really depends on your conditioning. I did a 72km ride before work this morning. Feel fine.
Now the ultra endurance racers are another story. Those riders push themselves right to the edge.

Any ride longer then 2 hours and you should really have some energy gels or some sort of snack to keep you on top of your feet

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #452 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 05:34:18 »
My bike never gets finished, but I am riding every day to work with it, not that much, about 12km in one direction straight through the city. Here's my fancy cockpit, without front light after redoing the handlebar tape:

... ...

Offline iri

« Reply #453 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 19:09:12 »

And I thought I was cool for doing the 52km commute to and from work...
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #454 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 10:22:49 »
Recently I was thinking about my gear ratios and speed rates. In the city riding about 25-30 km a day with mostly flat roads, a steep garage driveway (ok ok), my bike sports 46T in the front and a classic 11-28 11-speed cassette on a 10-speed roadbike hub.

My absolutely most ridden ratio is 42-19, then 42-21 for slower speeds, and 42-17 and 42-15 when going faster. But I think I never pedaled on 11 or 12 in the back... So I'll soon get a 42T chainring for the crank set. And thinking of one of these fancy big cassettes!
... ...

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #455 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 10:38:24 »
Recently I was thinking about my gear ratios and speed rates. In the city riding about 25-30 km a day with mostly flat roads, a steep garage driveway (ok ok), my bike sports 46T in the front and a classic 11-28 11-speed cassette on a 10-speed roadbike hub.

My absolutely most ridden ratio is 42-19, then 42-21 for slower speeds, and 42-17 and 42-15 when going faster. But I think I never pedaled on 11 or 12 in the back... So I'll soon get a 42T chainring for the crank set. And thinking of one of these fancy big cassettes!

Nice, that sounds like a good combination. I recently changed my mountain bike over to 1x11 speed. It has a 32t front ring and 11-42 rear cassette. It works great for climbing steep trails.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #456 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 10:57:51 »
Nice, that sounds like a good combination. I recently changed my mountain bike over to 1x11 speed. It has a 32t front ring and 11-42 rear cassette. It works great for climbing steep trails.

That's how MTBs look these days? And yeah, those big cassettes are new for me. I am riding 1 x 11 and before 1 x 10 since a while on my road bike, but not in that way. I'll try to fit soon a MTB 11-42 cassette and a new derailleur with my road bike / cross / gravel whatever bike :) Should be working, at least I hope so.

But I would also like is to go maybe back to 2 x 11, with one of these White Industries crank sets... 24 on the small ring!

On the countryside here were we are sometimes it looks like this, never flat:

... ...

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #457 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 11:36:57 »

That's how MTBs look these days? And yeah, those big cassettes are new for me. I am riding 1 x 11 and before 1 x 10 since a while on my road bike, but not in that way. I'll try to fit soon a MTB 11-42 cassette and a new derailleur with my road bike / cross / gravel whatever bike :) Should be working, at least I hope so.

But I would also like is to go maybe back to 2 x 11, with one of these White Industries crank sets... 24 on the small ring!

On the countryside here were we are sometimes it looks like this, never flat:

Show Image

Yeah the 1x11 or even 1x12 is the new trend over the past few years for mountain bikes. I still prefer 2x10 or 2x11 for road bikes I think. My road bike is using an outdated 2x9  :-[

The simplicity of no front derailleur/shifter is quite nice on a mountain bike, as it means you have less components to worry about and can use a chain guard so that your chain doesn't fall off the front chainring.

Not a great picture, but here is one of my mountain bike from a ride a few weeks back:

I am actually getting it ready for a mountain biking trip in Peru that i am doing in 2 weeks!

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #458 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 11:56:54 »
Looks great! I love orange, red or just bikes with a dominating color. Although I am not an expert in mountain bike things :confused: Those trees! Two friends of mine from Austria were last summer and the one before 4 weeks in Canada with their bikes and rent a big car to go biking and camping!

Peru :eek:

This is my cross / gravel / more road bike, in its last iteration, not that perfect, but I *love* to ride it although I am looking again for another bike  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: Fri, 25 August 2017, 12:00:55 by madhias »
... ...

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #459 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 13:13:37 »
Looks great! I love orange, red or just bikes with a dominating color. Although I am not an expert in mountain bike things :confused: Those trees! Two friends of mine from Austria were last summer and the one before 4 weeks in Canada with their bikes and rent a big car to go biking and camping!

This is my cross / gravel / more road bike, in its last iteration, not that perfect, but I *love* to ride it although I am looking again for another bike  :rolleyes:

Show Image

That bike looks lovely! Has a nice blended style of vintage and new to it.

Yeah we have awesome trails and forests here for mountain biking. :)

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #460 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 13:13:11 »
Got a new cassette! Damn, that is big for me :eek:

... ...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #461 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:19:49 »

Show Image

are the thinner gears as durable as thicker ones ?

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #462 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 23:21:53 »

Show Image

are the thinner gears as durable as thicker ones ?

As I heard not, but shifting to them for me is maybe 10% on these, and on the others down all the time. This is from Shmano, rest shifting gear from SRAM.
... ...

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #463 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 11:52:38 »
Got some work done this weekend. Finished swapping the broken plastic fenders with a pair of Weinmann stainless steel ones and gave the bike a good cleaning.

Still planning on putting a new rear rack on but I managed to snap a screw when removing the old one. Took some drilling into the frame to get it out.  :-\
After that a new saddle and bar tape. Probably going for a honey/dark brown color.
I think this bike will look pretty cool with some mudflaps as well.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #464 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 12:00:48 »
Got some work done this weekend. Finished swapping the broken plastic fenders with a pair of Weinmann stainless steel ones and gave the bike a good cleaning.
Show Image

Still planning on putting a new rear rack on but I managed to snap a screw when removing the old one. Took some drilling into the frame to get it out.  :-\
After that a new saddle and bar tape. Probably going for a honey/dark brown color.

Where's the  front basket for fresh fruits and veggies. ??

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #465 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 13:42:44 »
Show Image

Nice, brown will fit for sure!

I attached this oval chainring from Garbaruk, 42 tooth, paired with this big cassette 11-46T in the back.

... ...

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #466 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 13:50:53 »
Show Image

Where's the  front basket for fresh fruits and veggies. ??
Different bike. :P
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #467 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 13:58:56 »

Different bike. :P
Show Image

Good choice, dat's the kind of basket you can put one of them k-drama females on for a stroll through the park

OR...  you can prolly put a bunch of sugar cane on there and ride home with it..

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #468 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 14:09:36 »
How hard is it to learn to bike? I'm always tempted by those parked bikes on the streets, but I can't cycle. Sorry if this is unrelated.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #469 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 14:14:35 »
How hard is it to learn to bike? I'm always tempted by those parked bikes on the streets, but I can't cycle. Sorry if this is unrelated.

Hahaha

It's very easy.

Basically,  if you're falling to the left,  you turn the handle bar slightly to the left and lean very slightly to the left,   this will upright you.

After about an hour of this,  it will feel natural, and you can stay upright with little conscious thought.

Then learning to TURN properly is slightly different.

Newbies usually lean into the turn.  but this is the incorrect method.

You should Lean the BIKE into the direction of the turn,  but your BODY towards the Outside against the turn.

This proper technique ensures you can make the tightest turning radius possible, as it puts the weight closer to the contact surface of the wheel.

-- if you lean into the same direction of the turn, your wheel will slide outward, and you can only make large radius turns this way.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #470 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 14:34:52 »

Hmm, for kids it is easy today since they are all using balance bikes and then learn almost instantly using a bicycle. Are there balance bikes for grown ups?
... ...

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #471 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 14:49:10 »
Hmm, for kids it is easy today since they are all using balance bikes and then learn almost instantly using a bicycle. Are there balance bikes for grown ups?
The main thing is to learn confidence in starting from a standstill and balance, which is somewhat easier for kids (because they fail all the time anyway. :P ), but courses exist for adults.
I know there are plenty over here in the Netherlands, especially for immigrants, because many people did not grow up learning how to ride a bicycle.

Around London I found this:
- Learning to ride a bike as an adult in London - London Cyclist.co.uk (mostly a guide)
- Training for complete beginners - London school of cycling (an actual training)
- Where to go on a free cycle training course in London? - London Cyclist.co.uk
- Cycletraining.co.uk
- Bikeability - britishcycling.org.uk

Take some courses to get acquainted with the bike and practice together with a buddy in a quiet location.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #472 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 14:55:37 »
The main thing is to learn confidence in starting from a standstill and balance, which is somewhat easier for kids (because they fail all the time anyway. :P ), but courses exist for adults.
I know there are plenty over here in the Netherlands, especially for immigrants, because many people did not grow up learning how to ride a bicycle.

Around London I found this:
- Learning to ride a bike as an adult in London - London Cyclist.co.uk (mostly a guide)
- Training for complete beginners - London school of cycling (an actual training)
- Where to go on a free cycle training course in London? - London Cyclist.co.uk
- Cycletraining.co.uk
- Bikeability - britishcycling.org.uk

Take some courses to get acquainted with the bike and practice together with a buddy in a quiet location.

WTF guys..  it is NOT this difficult..   get one of those $20 bikes at walmart..  takes about 30 minutes to get the basics (as I've described),  and a few days to get down proper turning and leaning.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #473 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 00:05:42 »
Thanks for the help guys :-D I'll definitely ask my friends whether they'll teach me too haha

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #474 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 12:35:46 »
Arrgh, I might need a proxy for some parts made in USA, which I can't order here anywhere in Europe.

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 October 2017, 12:38:33 by madhias »
... ...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #475 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 13:07:30 »
Arrgh, I might need a proxy for some parts made in USA, which I can't order here anywhere in Europe.

Show Image

Hahahaha, guess that's what they do in straya..

Stop stealing people's bikes dude !!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #476 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 14:16:35 »
mmm gumwall tires :)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #477 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 23:04:27 »

Show Image

Looks good, and nice view!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #478 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 21:27:59 »
Daily commuter :)

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #479 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 21:32:43 »

Show Image

how do ya'll ride on the smaller seats..

I tried those and it really hurt my uh... underbutt bone.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #480 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 21:33:33 »
I really should get a new bike so I can ride properly. I'm still on an old 20" BMX. Haven't ridden it in over a year though, just not practical. Plus I'm super lazy.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #481 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 21:47:44 »
I'm on a 27" hardtail atm, I don't do much mountain and dirt so I really want to trade it in for a road bike but a good solid one ain't cheap, just like keyboards...
I should have enough for an HHKB Type-s in a few weeks, the road bike not so much.

Where are my priorities god damn it...
 I really need to think about this...

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #482 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 01:02:10 »

Show Image

Looks great, love the pic too!  :cool:

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #483 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 05:37:25 »

Show Image
Nice bike. Get that stem chopped. ;)
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #484 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 11:34:37 »
Looks great, love the pic too!  :cool:

:cool: :cool: :cool:

They're really comfy if you find the right position/saddle.

If you don't it can get pretty uncomfortable.

Nice bike. Get that stem chopped. ;)

That's where I hang my helmet though! :p

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #485 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 12:17:43 »

They're really comfy if you find the right position/saddle.

If you don't it can get pretty uncomfortable.

Are those seats made mostly for - leaning forward - riding ? 

I mostly site upright , not hunched over, because I'm a casual..

Offline atarione

« Reply #486 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 13:49:04 »
this is my new (2 me) mt. bike

181708-0

which i can't ride right now because of

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #487 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 20:10:44 »

(Attachment Link)

Nice bike, I used to have a Giant Trance, which is similar. They are fun bikes to ride.  :)

Offline atarione

« Reply #488 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 22:22:41 »

(Attachment Link)

Nice bike, I used to have a Giant Trance, which is similar. They are fun bikes to ride.  :)

sweet yeah the Trance is quite nice also...for various reasons this bike is basically free (given to me) so the price is right and it is a sweet bike... I'm bummed I can't ride it right now however...but soon~

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #489 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 19:12:37 »

(Attachment Link)

Oooooh, I spot some vintage audio gear.  :cool:

Offline atarione

« Reply #490 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 20:50:44 »

(Attachment Link)

yeah I have a bit of vintage audio going on  :D

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #491 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 21:24:34 »

Show Image

Looks classy, I like it!  :thumb:

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #492 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 22:37:30 »
This is a great thread!

Makes me want to go for a couple months and roll down the road. One summer I biked/camped with a buddy from San Diego, CA to Vancouver, BC then back. GREAT TIMES!!!

In 2010 I was planing a 2 mon trip to the west coast of South America... was working out the plan of either bicycling or motorcycling. Then I let life get in the way :(

Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline yuppie

« Reply #493 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 23:37:04 »
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #494 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 17:34:40 »

(Attachment Link)

yeah I have a bit of vintage audio going on  :D

Niiiiice, I love it!  ^-^  Might be worth reinvigorating the audio gear thread...  :D 

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #495 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 05:59:32 »
Getting snowy here! Or all the time... I swapped my tyres for a tubeless setup, which worked out pretty good so far, I had fears that it would be hard to mount and install and getting it airtight. Also changed to another bar. Ah, and getting soon rid of that Shimano anchor in the back.

... ...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #496 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 12:35:00 »
is snow bicycling not dangerous ?

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #497 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 00:18:43 »

Yes it is, and with these tyres absolute horrible. Going down there the streets are free of snow though.
... ...

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #498 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 06:29:08 »

Yes it is, and with these tyres absolute horrible. Going down there the streets are free of snow though.
Only when you try to corner or need to brake hard. Other than that it's a lot of fun.

Picked up a brand new Velo Orange Campeur Rack today through local eBay.
Going to look good on my Randonneur. :)

« Last Edit: Thu, 18 January 2018, 07:16:36 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #499 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 20:31:36 »
I like that heafty front rack. Do you find it a little easier to manage additional weight on the front rather than the rear? I feel like thats probably a better balance but the rear triangle is definitely stronger
-Dana