Author Topic: Geekhack magic players  (Read 56456 times)

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
Re: Geekhack magic players
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 13:33:44 »
WTF? How is no one on GH playing MTGO?

Yo I play MTGO... add me: Skargath

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #201 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 14:08:19 »
Im just going to leave this here:

my loam deck is about to get much gnarlyer

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #202 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 14:13:44 »
So, the wife and I have both recently gotten into MTG.  So we purchased a pair of dueling decks from Fate Reforged.  The Power and Profit decks.  Last night, I had the chance to play a game with both, and I really want to mix and match some cards to make a deck.  So the question comes in, I want to purchase another set like this for the wife, but have no idea where to start looking, or what colors/decks would compliment how she wants to play.

Any suggestions?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #203 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 15:13:34 »
So, the wife and I have both recently gotten into MTG.  So we purchased a pair of dueling decks from Fate Reforged.  The Power and Profit decks.  Last night, I had the chance to play a game with both, and I really want to mix and match some cards to make a deck.  So the question comes in, I want to purchase another set like this for the wife, but have no idea where to start looking, or what colors/decks would compliment how she wants to play.

Any suggestions?

need more info regarding playstyle.

blue = counter spells, deck manipulation, being a jerk
black = kill stuff, graveyard manipulation, make people discard
white = lifegain, protection, defense, a bunch of small dudes
green = big dudes, buff other dudes, dudes that make mana, ramp spells (spells that accelerate putting out lands)
red = burn (direct damage to creature, player, plansewalker, etc), aggressive dudes (haste,menace,etc)

that's just the gist. it all changes depending on the format you want to play unless format is ignored. then it still varies.

if you're looking for another pair of decks that can be combined, i would look for clash packs. last one was armed and dangerous. if you're looking for duel decks, i'd suggest the most recent one (blessed vs cursed) or any with planeswalkers. duel decks weren't made to be combined, so it's really up to what kind of experience you're looking for.
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #204 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 16:21:20 »

Any suggestions?

green = big dudes, buff other dudes, dudes that make mana, ramp spells (spells that accelerate putting out lands)
red = burn (direct damage to creature, player, plansewalker, etc), aggressive dudes (haste,menace,etc)

that's just the gist. it all changes depending on the format you want to play unless format is ignored. then it still varies.

if you're looking for another pair of decks that can be combined, i would look for clash packs. last one was armed and dangerous. if you're looking for duel decks, i'd suggest the most recent one (blessed vs cursed) or any with planeswalkers. duel decks weren't made to be combined, so it's really up to what kind of experience you're looking for.

Thanks, it was the clash decks that I was looking for.  Looks like they only did 3 sets of those, Fate & Fury, Power & Profit, and Armed & Dangerous.  I think we will end up picking up the other two sets, I found the Fate & Fury for $17 on amazon, but Armed & Dangerous was $35.  The wife said she likes the idea of a ramp up style but doesn't want to be a ****. 

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #205 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:48:14 »

Any suggestions?

Thanks, it was the clash decks that I was looking for.  Looks like they only did 3 sets of those, Fate & Fury, Power & Profit, and Armed & Dangerous.  I think we will end up picking up the other two sets, I found the Fate & Fury for $17 on amazon, but Armed & Dangerous was $35.  The wife said she likes the idea of a ramp up style but doesn't want to be a ****.

tell her ramp decks aren't as ****ish as countering spells and not letting your opponent play magic. blue can counter ramp spells how rude is that

blue has historically been the strongest color and no one pure of heart plays that color. that's why i play blue decks all the time real talk
diary of a clacktalk

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 09:35:59 »

Any suggestions?

tell her ramp decks aren't as ****ish as countering spells and not letting your opponent play magic. blue can counter ramp spells how rude is that

blue has historically been the strongest color and no one pure of heart plays that color. that's why i play blue decks all the time real talk

sphinx tutelage is ****

I just know I'm gonna be salty AF when I have to deal w/ this ****

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 22:32:27 »

Any suggestions?

Im a blue mage at heart. Gotta draw cards and interact with my opponent.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 12:15:38 »

Show Image

Oh man, this is going to make elves fast as ****

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #209 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 12:24:25 »

Show Image

i dunno. for a 2 drop that doesn't work on summoning sick dudes, this card is strictly worse than heritage druid. heritage druid is such an mvp
diary of a clacktalk

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 12:35:10 »

Show Image

i dunno. for a 2 drop that doesn't work on summoning sick dudes, this card is strictly worse than heritage druid. heritage druid is such an mvp

True that, didnt even consider the SS thing

I friggin hate elves

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 10:52:47 »
I just found out about ancestral visions and ghostly prism shooting up in price. What is this madness? It's like every time I turn around some card that I have that was worth 2-3$ is now worth a small stack.

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 11:04:39 »

I just found out about ancestral visions and ghostly prism shooting up in price. What is this madness? It's like every time I turn around some card that I have that was worth 2-3$ is now worth a small stack.

ancestral visions unban

a part of me thinks scalding tarns will go up in price, which is very bittersweet. blue is a color again in modern what's good

i picked up 3 for my burn deck but can't justify completing my playset if the price is too wonky
diary of a clacktalk

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 12:59:51 »
Not sure what to do post SOI. I know it's gonna be a lot of deck experimentation for the next week, but I guess I'll have to watch the tourney decklists for a while to see what's doing well.

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 13:01:18 »
Not sure what to do post SOI. I know it's gonna be a lot of deck experimentation for the next week, but I guess I'll have to watch the tourney decklists for a while to see what's doing well.

which format?

jam thing in the ice in all decks and i think you're good to go
diary of a clacktalk

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 16:01:26 »
So I a moddifying me deck from the Armed and Dangerous Clash deck.  I am currently using the Dangerous side of the deck with a couple additions from the Armed side.  This deck is built on the Outlast and Bolster mechanics.  There are also a number of creature cards that add deathtouch, lifelink, flying, reach, and such to all cards with +1/+1 counters.  So this deck gets fairly powerful later game if you can survive long enough and keep creatures out.  I was talking with one of the guys that I play with last night and he suggested some tweaks to my deck.

This is what he suggested. 

Dropping Disowned Ancestorx2 for Mer-Ek Nightbladex2

Dropping Ultimate Pricex2 for Abzan Battle Priestx2

Dropping Enshrouding Mistx2 for Elite Scaleguardx2

Dropping Outland Colossus I added this one from a different deck because 6/6 with Renown 6, for Longshot Squad

Dropping Suspension Field for Citadel Siege

Dropping Ancestral Vengeance for Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit

And the last one that I am not sure I agree with is dropping Abzan Ascendancy for Avatar of the Resolute.  This one I think I would like to keep both.  The adding a counter to every creature I control seems very nice for spreading out lifelink, deathtouch, reach and such very quickly early game. 

I also did some looking and am thinking about adding some of these cards to my deck.  With the mechanics of outlast, each time requires one to tap that creature and spend mana.  So I started looking for cards that would allow me more opportunities to untap lands and creatures. 

They include the following not going to post links due to time right now

Ivory Tusk Fortress
Awakening
Mobilize
To Arms!
Bear Umbra
Early Harvest
Natures Will

Thoughts?

This deck is mostly white and green with a splash of black.

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #216 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 16:59:45 »
So I a moddifying me deck from the Armed and Dangerous Clash deck.  I am currently using the Dangerous side of the deck with a couple additions from the Armed side.  This deck is built on the Outlast and Bolster mechanics.  There are also a number of creature cards that add deathtouch, lifelink, flying, reach, and such to all cards with +1/+1 counters.  So this deck gets fairly powerful later game if you can survive long enough and keep creatures out.  I was talking with one of the guys that I play with last night and he suggested some tweaks to my deck.

This is what he suggested. 

Dropping Disowned Ancestorx2 for Mer-Ek Nightbladex2

Dropping Ultimate Pricex2 for Abzan Battle Priestx2

Dropping Enshrouding Mistx2 for Elite Scaleguardx2

Dropping Outland Colossus I added this one from a different deck because 6/6 with Renown 6, for Longshot Squad

Dropping Suspension Field for Citadel Siege

Dropping Ancestral Vengeance for Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit

And the last one that I am not sure I agree with is dropping Abzan Ascendancy for Avatar of the Resolute.  This one I think I would like to keep both.  The adding a counter to every creature I control seems very nice for spreading out lifelink, deathtouch, reach and such very quickly early game. 

I also did some looking and am thinking about adding some of these cards to my deck.  With the mechanics of outlast, each time requires one to tap that creature and spend mana.  So I started looking for cards that would allow me more opportunities to untap lands and creatures. 

They include the following not going to post links due to time right now

Ivory Tusk Fortress
Awakening
Mobilize
To Arms!
Bear Umbra
Early Harvest
Natures Will

Thoughts?

This deck is mostly white and green with a splash of black.

i played a bit of white/green/black (aka Abzan or Junk)

In terms of the Outlast theme, you can focus more on what abilities +1/+1 counters give you than the ability to add +1/+1 counters, if that makes sense. since outlast isn't an efficient way to add counters, you can add more efficient counter-adding cards that enable the outlast effects at a faster/wider scale. in fact, green/white used to be the colors for a very competitive counter deck (which means you're on the right track)

Which brings me to a bunch of suggestions (from sets played around this time, as well as new cards):
servant of the scale,
hardened scales,
managorger hydra,
nissa, voice of zendikar,
dromoka's command,
abzan charm

some maybe cards:
den protector (counters and the ability to bring back any card from the graveyard, but slow)
anafenza the foremost (legendary rule only allows one anafenza on your board at a time. this one gives counters, has a 4/4 body, and exiles opponent creatures in case they have graveyard interaction BUT requires 3 different colors to play)

other tips:
murderous cut is a very good removal tool as a 1 or 2-of, but most of your removal should consist of abzan charms and dromoka's commands (which happen to also give counters). your outlast deathtouch enablers will also always make your trades favorable, since e.g., you can trade your 1/1 deathtouch for any non-indestructible x/x

i think i covered what i wanted, but i'm not sure
diary of a clacktalk

Offline raymogi

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 20:22:03 »
I know I can't never leave this thing ever so now I'm back playing magic again (mtgo).

Anyone here playing mtgo or strictly paper only?
Please feed my addiction.

Offline PQStarLord

« Reply #218 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 10:27:49 »
I have played for years but don't really have time any more so I'm sat on boxes and boxes of cards.  Anyone want to trade some keycaps for magic cards?

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 12:39:23 »
I have played for years but don't really have time any more so I'm sat on boxes and boxes of cards.  Anyone want to trade some keycaps for magic cards?

Im sure if you posted some of the more interesting ones some of us would be willing.

Offline PQStarLord

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 08:03:41 »
Here? I can get some timestamps later but I have some shock lands and abrupt decays from newer sets, then other cards all the way back to Arabian nights. No idea what's good any more but I'll post what used to be good. I also have the 2013 commander sets. Some open, some closed.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 16:42:51 »
Anyone playing Pauper?

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 16:28:51 »
Anyone playing Pauper?

Päper or GTFO, tried Hearstone but I ended up having seven cards in my left and my mouse in the right. Couldnt handle it
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 12:01:48 »
Anyone playing Pauper?

Päper or GTFO, tried Hearstone but I ended up having seven cards in my left and my mouse in the right. Couldnt handle it

Paper is a *****. It requires travel IRL.

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #224 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 01:48:23 »
Anyone playing Pauper?

Paper is a *****. It requires travel IRL.

i've tried justifying the purchase of digital cards, but after having collected so many paper cards, it's really hard to do.

besides that, i like my LGS and the kids I play legacy/cube with
diary of a clacktalk

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #225 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 00:50:45 »
Anyone playing Pauper?

I love having to construct a viable deck within the limitations of constraints. Pauper is great for those quick ten minute breaks between classes or during business meetings. My personal fave format right now is Tiny Leaders. It's the best of both Pauper and EDH worlds and games usually don't get to the marathon point like EDH.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 13:28:22 »
Sorry to spam this thread, but I'm willing to trade artisans for Magic cards. Check my Classifieds thread.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #227 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 21:19:34 »
I recently tried to get into Magic and bought 2 starter decks with planeswalkers. Its been a couple months and I'm still trying to figure it all out.  :confused:
-Dana

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #228 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 09:10:05 »
I recently tried to get into Magic and bought 2 starter decks with planeswalkers. Its been a couple months and I'm still trying to figure it all out.  :confused:

Buy a pauper deck on MTGO. It's a cheap eternal format and you'll get an intuitive feel of the rules quickly.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 12:17:29 »
Had an out of nowhere wild itch to open a bunch of MTG cards this morning, so I just ordered 40 packs from 20 sets for no other reason than to open then all up :))

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 14:13:41 »
Had an out of nowhere wild itch to open a bunch of MTG cards this morning, so I just ordered 40 packs from 20 sets for no other reason than to open then all up :))

Always so fun. Post any good loot!!

I’m really tempted to grab some of the current set, Love me some dinosaurs

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 15:47:11 »
The new set looks INSANE. I love when Wizards do a crazy ass set every once in a while.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 16:39:33 »

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 17:20:07 »
Contraption decks? Host and Augment? wow its like they slapped a whole other game on there

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 21:59:58 »
The new Un set? Or Ixlian?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/unstable

Yeah, Unstable. Seeing all the spoilers on reddit is great. /r/magicTCG is the place to be.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 20:29:49 »
Just learned all about the MTG Reserved List. That entire idea can go **** right off, literally killing formats in lieu of greed. Resellers only selling inflated booster boxes to other resellers, strip mining entire old blocks. Urza's, my favorite block of all time, has it's booster packs going for nearly $60 now when less than a year ago they were around $20.

I get that Wizard's wants to appeal to different consumers, and some of those are deep investors playing long games, but to straight up promote buyouts and kill formats is not a sustainable approach.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 20:55:44 »
Top pulls from an Ixalan bundle I opened tonight. These basically paid for the box, add the other rares and some good dollar uncommons and I came out on top by about $12  :thumb:
wish I could say the same for those completely ****ed Urza's boosters I overpaid for

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 21:19:34 »
I'm just gonna post all my booster openings, dug a box of older block boosters out of storage and it's a blast tearing into them.
These older blocks remind me of a time when quality art and flavor actually mattered.
Make MTG Great Again!

Tonight is a trio of New Phyrexia

and HOLY CRAP! 2 Mythics, and one of them happens to be Sword of War and Peace!?!

Caged Sun is no slouch either, and a couple of good uncommons

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 21:46:33 »
Top pulls from an Ixalan bundle I opened tonight. These basically paid for the box, add the other rares and some good dollar uncommons and I came out on top by about $12  :thumb:
wish I could say the same for those completely ****ed Urza's boosters I overpaid for

Show Image

Great haul! I love that big dino! I opened up a bundle last week, happened to also get hostage taker and a carnage tyrant. I felt bad, my buddy opened two bundles and got garbage.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 11:54:47 »
I'm just gonna post all my booster openings, dug a box of older block boosters out of storage and it's a blast tearing into them.
These older blocks remind me of a time when quality art and flavor actually mattered.
Make MTG Great Again!

Tonight is a trio of New Phyrexia
Show Image

and HOLY CRAP! 2 Mythics, and one of them happens to be Sword of War and Peace!?!
Show Image

Caged Sun is no slouch either, and a couple of good uncommons

Damn that caged sun is sweet.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:07:47 »
Opened 3 packs of Shards Of Alara, didn't do too bad  :thumb:

Elspeth is the clear winner from this lot

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:24:19 »
Opened 3 packs of Shards Of Alara, didn't do too bad  :thumb:
Show Image

Show Image

Elspeth is the clear winner from this lot

hard to believe Shards of Alara was in 2008!

That Elspeth has won me so many games... very decent card

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 00:28:48 »
Unstable looks so good! I saw a three pack in Walmart today, even though release is Friday. Couldn’t help myself and so glad I grabbed them!
These were just from two packs, the other had a common foil.

Also, full art lands are divine. And foil token cards with full art backs are beautiful as well.

May need to buy a box of these to play some hilarious games!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 00:33:48 »
Unstable looks so good! I saw a three pack in Walmart today, even though release is Friday. Couldn’t help myself and so glad I grabbed them!
These were just from two packs, the other had a common foil.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Also, full art lands are divine. And foil token cards with full art backs are beautiful as well.

May need to buy a box of these to play some hilarious games!

Niiiiiiiice.
You got what is my favourite card in the set, Urza, and in foil!
I wonder... if I make an unstable commander deck with this that would already be (eventually) illegal, if I could also use Urza as an unofficial commander. There aren't any 5 color silver commanders in un-sets I don't think.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 01:51:02 »
Guys...
I just spent $400 on full sets of both Unglued and Unhinged...
I still have to buy the full set of Unstable for another $100 when my wallet recovers...
You might be thinking, "Frosty, why do you need those? Just buy singles to make whatever deck for a fraction of the cost."
But... all of these cards will be in my deck. My commander deck. My Spike, Tournament Grinder commander deck...
Spike, Tournament Grinder and Mycosynth Lattice would allow me to pull any silver border card I own and then cast it using black or generic mana.
Since black also has a ton of graveyard recursion, I can attempt to do certain tricks to bring back cards as well as just use basic commander shenanigans to cheat in cards of other colors.
Though I think my Urza deck will see more consistency since I'll actually be able to play cards. An Urza contraption deck would be super flavorful since Urza is a master artificer.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 02:05:29 »
Unglued is an amazing set with one of my fav cards ever, Chaos Confetti. I had one once and actually used it with no proxy, totally worth it :))

I freaking love Urza, and I still say Urza's Saga has THE best flavor out of any MTG set ever. Each color represents a significant point in Urza's life after the Antiquities War;
White being the time Urza spent recovering in Serra's realm
Red being his alliance with with Shiv
Green represents Argoth/mortal realm
Blue is his time spent as headmaster of the Tolarian Academy
and Black documents his failed attempt shutting the Phyrexian Gate

I would give my left nut to see Guillermo del Toro or Peter Jackson direct a MTG movie based around the Antiquities War

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #246 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 02:38:42 »
Urza's story is the earliest, and perhaps the most interesting of the MTG stories.
It's also great because it was also one of the weirdest sets with odd technology that looks like it came from War of the Worlds.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #247 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 08:52:54 »
Show me a pic of the back of the full art tokens?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 09:40:35 »
Show me a pic of the back of the full art tokens?

Front and back!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #249 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 20:10:55 »
Planning to open all these this weekend: