Author Topic: My ANSI-ified PC AT  (Read 6253 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
My ANSI-ified PC AT
« on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:41:02 »
Hey guys – For some reason, I thought that if I added this to the "Post your BS boards here" topic, it'd go to the top of the list again so people would see it. But no. So I'm presuming to start a new thread here, to be sure I get to share it w/you. Cheers, A.

- - -

A few days ago I was delighted to receive the Model F PC AT that Dorkvader modded for me with an ANSI-style Enter, modifiers and number pad! He'd started the project last year, but had to put it on hold when he realized he'd taken on too many projects to maintain his very high standards—and suddenly found himself a full-time employee of a certain widely known computer company.

Several great AT-mod projects have been documented here, so for most of you this is nothing new. Dork did such a great job, though, I had to share it—so thanks for indulging me.

The board arrived in a cool vintage Key Tronics box ("The Responsive Input Company!"):

126885-0

Everything was securely, neatly packed:

126887-1

Dork was kind enough to include the original keys he'd replaced, including the number pad—as well as a set of sparkly-new Unicomp numpad keys, in case I ever wanted to use them in place of the bright yellow ones in the GE Marquette medical set he sent me last year. With a tinge of poignancy, I realized this was likely to be the only time I'd ever receive three complete sets of numpad keys, all different, in the same day.

He also generously included a Soarer's adapter he'd made by adroitly wiring a Teensy into a socketed box:

126889-2

To accommodate the new bottom row, Dork swapped the F's wide spacebar with one from a Model M. The M's stabilizer wire is too thick for the F's retaining brackets, so he used wcass's clever "washer mod", fabricating the parts from Teflon:

126891-3

126893-4

Besides the obvious changes, there's no standard way to update the AT layout; it's a matter of taste. For those of you not familiar with it, here's the original layout (courtesy of Wikipedia):

...and here's the one I settled on, after moving some keys around myself:

126895-5

Some people put Esc on the number pad, but I didn't think I could break my decades-long habit of reaching up and to the left. So Esc went where tilde ( ~) was—and since I'll use the number pad only for things like ASCII codes, not bookkeeping, tilde got the dot/Del key's spot.

I love the F's vintagey typography and gladly restored the original F numpad keys. I opted to replace the seldom (ever?) used Scroll Lock and Pause/Break with the post-AT F11-12 keys. (Hey, they have numbers in 'em, right?)

This is where the Soarer's comes in of course. As most of you know, the AT was the first IBM keyboard and the only Model F to use the standard PC protocol. So it doesn't need a Soarer's to be used with a PC. But it does add the ability to remap key codes so there'll actually be a point to moving those caps around.

The back, with its simple s/n label:

126897-6

Finally, the ANSI AT in action (along with my $7 Chinese leather wrist rest):

126899-7

It's an odd feeling taking a photo of your keyboard while you're using it to compose a post about the keyboard. The M. C. Escher drawing comes to mind:

Unlike some peeps here, I could never choose a favorite between the Model M and F. I just feel lucky to enjoy IBM's first great buckling-spring implementation in such an up-to-date way.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
Re: My ANSI-ified PC AT
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 19:42:10 »
Were there two unused capacitance censors under the spacebar all this time?  :eek:

If not, how did you install the new Alternate keys?
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 19:54:22 »
Model M/Fs have several "secret" keys. PCBs, plates, etc were made to accommodate various layouts such as ANSI, ISO, etc, without re-tooling.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 19:56:20 »
Were there two unused capacitance censors under the spacebar all this time?  :eek:

They are there.  The holes for the space bar barrel/stabilzer bracket are right over the top, so you have to open those up to accept the new barrels, and do the M style above plate stabilizer wire.

And the ISO/ANSI/BAE key barrels and pads are all there in the same locations.  Just a matter of moving springs and stabilizer inserts around.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:16:04 »

They are there.  The holes for the space bar barrel/stabilzer bracket are right over the top, so you have to open those up to accept the new barrels, and do the M style above plate stabilizer wire.

And the ISO/ANSI/BAE key barrels and pads are all there in the same locations.  Just a matter of moving springs and stabilizer inserts around.

Model M/Fs have several "secret" keys. PCBs, plates, etc were made to accommodate various layouts such as ANSI, ISO, etc, without re-tooling.

So... theoretically we can also install an AT spacebar into a Model M?

(I mean, who in the world would do that?  But can it be done?)
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:21:35 »

(I mean, who in the world would do that?  But can it be done?)

Nope, won't work.  The spring barrel and stabilizer piece for the AT spacebar are one piece and won't fit in the M.  The only way to physically get it there would be to cut the bottom plate, which would cause a TON of stress on the membrane and cause it to fail, if you could even get it to line up with all the locating pins.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:52:19 »
Is there a canonical thread detailing the build process for this conversion?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:55:49 »

I meant that there are options within each model, but not necessarily between models. IBM did considerable thinking on how to accommodate various layouts within lines, but a redesign as great as F AT to M is a complete overhaul.

Those insane XT and AT space bars with ridiculous "under-carriage" assemblies are just too much!
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:57:39 »
Is there a canonical thread detailing the build process for this conversion?

This?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48288.msg1034243#msg1034243

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 21:06:48 »
Boo... big ass enter ftw.

Nice board by the way. Looking good.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 20:22:01 »
I'm really happy about the teflon washers. They aren't too expensive and I was having a heck of a time with washer / clip options. For XT style barrels, you can drop metal washers over it and the stabilizer wire can sit between the barrel, the "tab" on the barrel and the washer, but on AT style barrels it doesnt work so easily. Plastic washers were also really unsatisfying. I'm glad I went with teflon, I just got some that would fit, and then reamed the inside edge out until it "almost" fit. Teflon is pretty tough (can absorb a lot of energy before failure) and stretches a little, so it easily stays put on the barrels and the stabilizer wire rides with lower friction!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 21:13:46 »
I'm really happy about the teflon washers. They aren't too expensive and I was having a heck of a time with washer / clip options. For XT style barrels, you can drop metal washers over it and the stabilizer wire can sit between the barrel, the "tab" on the barrel and the washer, but on AT style barrels it doesnt work so easily. Plastic washers were also really unsatisfying. I'm glad I went with teflon, I just got some that would fit, and then reamed the inside edge out until it "almost" fit. Teflon is pretty tough (can absorb a lot of energy before failure) and stretches a little, so it easily stays put on the barrels and the stabilizer wire rides with lower friction!

Cool. Where do those come from? I have tried metal, rubber, and fiber washers and none of them were entirely satisfactory. The metal ones were the best, although rattly, the fiber ones required some Dremel work and never stayed in place properly, and the rubber ones were too thick and prevented the keys from going down to a comfortable level.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 16:51:21 »
Omg I just found out about this--such sweetness!

Is the mod completely reversible too?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 18:57:47 »
Not if you add Alt keys and a Model M space bar. There is some non-trivial Dremel work on the front plate and you will need to cut the "under-carriage" that mates with the original long space bar.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 18:18:30 »
How does the modded spacebar feels in term of stability and sound, compared to the original one? I wonder if I shoud just keep the original one.
The wire of the original one can be modified by beding the spacebar wire, but it seems that it requires a lot of trial and error.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 17:13:31 »
How does the modded spacebar feels in term of stability and sound, compared to the original one? I wonder if I shoud just keep the original one... The wire of the original one can be modified by [bending] the spacebar wire, but it seems that it requires a lot of trial and error.

The new one isn't as clackety. That's fine by me, as spacebars tend to be noisier than other keys anyway (due, no doubt, to their bigger, more widely mounted nature).

I'd keep the original spacebar. Model F's regularly turn up whose spacebars are missing, which makes them less salable. (BTW, perhaps like some of you, I think it should be saleable with two E's—but Mr. Webster had other ideas.) After all, who happens to have an extra Model F spacebar hanging around? Answer: You do. So ha—now you now own not one but two F's: one with the original configuration, and one you've artfully updated. Add regular supplies of coffee and chocolate, and IMHO that's a complete life, dude.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 17:47:27 »
Looks amazing, but I use tilde too much, as I am often forced to use LUA, god help me. I would probably replace F1 with escape, and layer F1 to layer 2. Weirdly, F1 is probably my least used F key.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 05:07:40 »
How does the modded spacebar feels in term of stability and sound, compared to the original one? I wonder if I shoud just keep the original one... The wire of the original one can be modified by [bending] the spacebar wire, but it seems that it requires a lot of trial and error.

The new one isn't as clackety. That's fine by me, as spacebars tend to be noisier than other keys anyway (due, no doubt, to their bigger, more widely mounted nature).

I'd keep the original spacebar. Model F's regularly turn up whose spacebars are missing, which makes them less salable. (BTW, perhaps like some of you, I think it should be saleable with two E's—but Mr. Webster had other ideas.) After all, who happens to have an extra Model F spacebar hanging around? Answer: You do. So ha—now you now own not one but two F's: one with the original configuration, and one you've artfully updated. Add regular supplies of coffee and chocolate, and IMHO that's a complete life, dude.

Thanks, for the moment I'll keep the original one and try to make it lighter by modifying the bent bar on the back.