Author Topic: Hi from Missouri  (Read 3902 times)

Offline zewcq

Hi from Missouri
« on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 00:20:08 »
Hi, I just registered for geekhack after browsing some of the forums here, specifically the interest checks

I'm a college student and I just bought my first mechanical keyboard - Deck Francium, and so far I'm enjoying it very much.
I'm waiting for this to become my new addiction while at college, and hoping to buy some nice key sets in the future.

Thanks for having me and I'm hoping to have fun customizing my keyboard soon.

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
Re: Hi from Missouri
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 01:01:18 »
Welcome to the group! I'm sure you'll have fun here. It can be a bit of a money pit though.
Biking is fun.

Offline hippiepete

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 03:30:53 »
Welcome! Never been to missouri, but the name sounds like it could be its own keycap set :P

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 05:00:05 »
Hey man. Welcome to the forum. If you every need help or have questions, feel free to reach out.

Make sure you take the time to read over the site ToS. :thumb:

Offline zewcq

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 10:46:37 »
Welcome to the group! I'm sure you'll have fun here. It can be a bit of a money pit though.

Welcome! Never been to missouri, but the name sounds like it could be its own keycap set :P

Hey man. Welcome to the forum. If you every need help or have questions, feel free to reach out.

Make sure you take the time to read over the site ToS. :thumb:

Thanks guys!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 18:23:22 »
Welcome :)

I admire Deck for what they do, I just wish they would make the normal legend keyboards available for us 'mericans :'(

Care to share what switches you're using atm?

Offline murkey

• murkey's alpaca farm
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 23:47:33 »
Yay midwesterners! I grew up in St Louis :) Welcome!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 01:24:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

What switches did you get in your Deck?

This can become a very addictive and expensive hobby, especially when you find out about artisan keycaps.  Best to set yourself a budget and stick to it, especially if you are at college!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zewcq

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 02:28:29 »
Welcome :)

I admire Deck for what they do, I just wish they would make the normal legend keyboards available for us 'mericans :'(

Care to share what switches you're using atm?

Sorry for the late reply guys! Yeah I'm using cherry mx browns, they feel awesome.

Yay midwesterners! I grew up in St Louis :) Welcome!

That's awesome man! Yeah St. Louis is where I'm currently living and I've had a great time getting accustomed here.

Welcome to Geekhack!

What switches did you get in your Deck?

This can become a very addictive and expensive hobby, especially when you find out about artisan keycaps.  Best to set yourself a budget and stick to it, especially if you are at college!

Thank you man! I got brown switches for my Deck and they're great. Thanks for the advice; I really do need to set a budget for this. I realize this can definitely cost a lot of money, but good thing I'm also working while at college right?  :confused:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 06:20:56 »
Thank you man! I got brown switches for my Deck and they're great. Thanks for the advice; I really do need to set a budget for this. I realize this can definitely cost a lot of money, but good thing I'm also working while at college right?  :confused:

Mmmmaybe, however if you find yourself tempted to spend too much, read this.  It might help ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zewcq

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 11:38:59 »

Mmmmaybe, however if you find yourself tempted to spend too much, read this.  It might help ;)

Just read that entire post; makes me want to reevaluate all of my spending habits not just keyboards. Thanks for showing that to me :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 05:37:23 »

Just read that entire post; makes me want to reevaluate all of my spending habits not just keyboards. Thanks for showing that to me :thumb:

You are most welcome :D

Offline gorillionaire

• really gorilly
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 17:47:54 »
misery in the house

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 22:10:46 »
Ayy midwest. I'm in Olathe, but sometimes go to my sister's house in North KC

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 13:31:38 »
Seems there's a few other Kansas/Missouri residents in the group besides me. I'm pleased with this.

Greetings from Grandview, and welcome to Geekhack!
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 13:33:53 »
Welcome! I'm also in Missouri  :thumb:

Offline cmb5286

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 13:38:34 »
Welcome just joined up as well. I'm in STL.  :thumb:

Offline zewcq

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 14:02:50 »
Ayy midwest. I'm in Olathe, but sometimes go to my sister's house in North KC

Seems there's a few other Kansas/Missouri residents in the group besides me. I'm pleased with this.

Greetings from Grandview, and welcome to Geekhack!

Welcome! I'm also in Missouri  :thumb:

Welcome just joined up as well. I'm in STL.  :thumb:

Yeah that's awesome! I'm glad to see so many people here from Missouri. I go to school in St. Louis at STLCOP.