Author Topic: Greatest Keyboard of All Time  (Read 8297 times)

Offline Viett

Greatest Keyboard of All Time
« on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 01:56:09 »
Yum.

Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 04:05:13 »
Does it come with double shot keys?
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline msiegel

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 10:50:40 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;146991
Does it come with double shot keys?

no, a double shot of espresso :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 12:30:48 »
Look at all those crumbs in between the keys...

Offline Buckling_Summer

• http://www.elitesportservices.com
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 13:01:26 »
Molding Artifacts on the keycaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PRESENT POSSESSIONS:
 Buckling Spings: IBM Model M 82G2383 Lexmarkian (1995) / IBM Model F PC-AT keyboard 84 keys (6450200)
XM Simplified 1 (Monterey K110 or AK-CN2 or Hua-Jie) Siig MiniTouch KB-1948 GeekHack Spacesaver edition
----------------------------------

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 13:23:46 »
Awww c'mon.  

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 13:43:53 »
That board looks tasty. Where you find it?
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Viett

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 16:16:18 »
It's a picture I found on Facebook. I've never actually seen the real thing.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline J888www

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 17:05:29 »
Those dogs looks tastier, reminds me of a time when I was little, living in the Orient.
Not that I would try dogs now that I'm more civilized
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 January 2010, 17:08:39 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline chimera15

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 03:46:28 »
I've got dibs on the caps lock key.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 08:02:36 »
Quote from: J888www;147168
Those dogs looks tastier, reminds me of a time when I was little, living in the Orient.
Not that I would try dogs now that I'm more civilized

We used to have a lady from China that worked with us, and she would tell us this story about a pet dog she had as a kid that died and how they had a soup the next day that they never had previously (and never had again).

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 12:29:14 »
Keyboards look appetizing by nature. they're shaped just like food.

I don't see how people can flip out about dog eating, then sit right down and enjoy a juicy cut of veal.

I know the argument, and it's still stupid. Animals are animals.
keyboards!

Offline exia

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 13:37:30 »
Realforce 87U is better, if not the best.

Does anyone know if there will be a price drop on that keyboard?

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 08:53:13 »
Quote from: spolia optima;147842
I don't see how people can flip out about dog eating, then sit right down and enjoy a juicy cut of veal.

Dogs eat meat.

Of course, this also means that feeding material from sheep carcasses to cattle, which leads to BSE, is not to be done.

Except for fish, animals which do not have an exclusively vegetarian diet are unsafe for humans to eat.

Also, it is not good for humans psychologically to form emotional attachments to animals as pets, and eat other animals belonging to the same species. This leads to cognitive dissonance.

So the issue is not a fundamental moral one, but just because it would be invalid on that ground doesn't mean it doesn't make sense on other levels.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 13:56:12 »
Quote from: quadibloc;148123
Dogs eat meat.

Of course, this also means that feeding material from sheep carcasses to cattle, which leads to BSE, is not to be done.

Except for fish, animals which do not have an exclusively vegetarian diet are unsafe for humans to eat.

Also, it is not good for humans psychologically to form emotional attachments to animals as pets, and eat other animals belonging to the same species. This leads to cognitive dissonance.

So the issue is not a fundamental moral one, but just because it would be invalid on that ground doesn't mean it doesn't make sense on other levels.

Interesting, I've never really though of it that way. Your point about cognitive dissonance could be applied to any mammal, really, or anything with a heart and maybe spinal cord (unless that was your point all along).

That said, I would eat a dog if given the chance. Hell, they've used dogs as stock meat in china for probably 1000 years, what could go wrong? I would probably a person, too- if my life depended on it (or if it was a faux pas to not eat people... as with certain cultures).
keyboards!

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 20:07:07 »
Quote from: spolia optima;148194
Interesting, I've never really though of it that way. Your point about cognitive dissonance could be applied to any mammal, really, or anything with a heart and maybe spinal cord (unless that was your point all along).
thats what the vegetarians say, that is their whole point.

except the ones that "only eat fish".  you know, fish have no feelings, they are basically plants.
"wouldnt eat anything with a face" argument seems to only extend to cute faces

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 20:19:53 »
Or people who call themselves vegetarians because they don't like the taste of meat. Does that mean that everyone who doesn't like a particular food should claim to be part of some 'ism'?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 20:31:28 »
I don't think it's possible to dislike the taste of meat. Tastebuds are there to tell you if something is good to eat, and meat is undeniably nutritious, if not eaten to excess.

Finding it distasteful in a broader sense is another matter.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 20:54:48 »
Quote from: quadibloc;148123

Mammals which have the same diseases as humans are unsafe to eat. I've never heard the diet of the animal is significant.

We aren't susceptible to most diseases carried by cows, pigs, deer, rabbits, dogs, sheep, antelope, thus they are a good choice in parts of the world where each animal type is available. Mad cow disease is a notable exception, which is why people are so worked up about it. Imagine a world in which no human could eat cow safely ever again. Quarantine them mad cows; I want my grand kids to have hamburgers.

This is why cannibalism is so proscribed. In no case is human meat safe to eat for humans, because the eater is susceptible to all diseases carried by the donor animal. Survival drives societies' mores regarding cannibalism, much like it did for incest.

I do find it interesting that few omnivores or carnivores are food stock. Dog is the only example I can think of.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 21:14:54 »
I suppose animals that eat meat - at least in the wild - are more likely to contain parasites that could be transmitted. Re carnivores as food stock, maybe it's just a question of practicality. Why feed meat to livestock when you could eat that meat directly?

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2010, 21:17:28 by Rajagra »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 22:15:52 »
I heard today anecdotally that if the whole world consumed meat like the United States, we'd need the farms of seven earths to support all that meat.

I've also heard that a vegan with a Hummer has a smaller carbon footprint than a meat-eater with a Prius. I love to say that at Silicon Valley parties and watch all the the meat-eating Prius owners fall silent.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 23:42:26 »
But at the end of the day, you can't deny, "Beef is tasty".

Personally I like it raw (warm), and lean (doesn't get stuck in your teeth). Unfortunately the Japanese like their fatty meat (and its usually damn expensive to). That's usually when I look to the sushi aisle.

I need to get around to going to that raw horse meat restaurant some time.

For completeness, Dolphins are mammals and they are eaten for food (if you've eaten cheap canned tuna, you've probably had dolphin). Whales and seals as well. However, the "has a cute face" activists like to make giant protests about how its cruel to kill them, bla bla bla.
Ever think about how that carrot must've felt while you ate it alive.

Unfortunately the "don't hunt seals" thing is bull**** (whales aren't really, as overfishing is/was a problem), as an increase in seals will reduce the number of fish in the ocean.
Sorry for the lack of references, its just a rant.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 23:43:34 »
What we need is sustainable meat-like foods.  Why can't we eat something which is like a gecko's tail, and can be re-grown many times over?
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 23:56:57 »
Yummy sushi

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 02:55:00 »
I'm just against food and water in general.
keyboards!

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 03:10:32 »
Quote from: spolia optima;148364
I'm just against food and water in general.

Donated for the ban against dihydrogen monoxide yet?
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline J888www

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 06:16:00 »
Quote from: itlnstln;147746
We used to have a lady from China that worked with us, and she would tell us this story about a pet dog she had as a kid that died and how they had a soup the next day that they never had previously (and never had again).

My pet Gnasher went to doggie land in a very similar way, apparently it is Custom to offer the original owner a small platter.
When the situation dictates, one would eat almost anything to survive, others have been known to consume two legged animals, one of the most plentiful food source on Earth.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2010, 06:18:17 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline Buckling_Summer

• http://www.elitesportservices.com
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 07:01:56 »
SOME INTERESTING FACTS:
1) Eating something that is associated with the ultra-violent action of death/killing is not good for your health.  The toxins that are produced at the time of death of the victim animal are then consumed by us together with the other "tasty" nutrients.
2) The environmental pollutants are accumulated vastly in the animals that are placed higher in the food chain. So you get contact with more chemicals when you consume a polluted mammal that consumes polluted air, water and plants that consume polluted air and water.
3) One of the best nutritions in the world is proven to be the Mediterranean Diet. People who follow this very diet for centuries are expected to live longer than every body else. Mediterranean diet is characterized by the consuming of meat twice-trice per month.
4) In some esoteric philosophies plants possess lighter prana (solar) and animals have heavier prana. So eating meat makes you heavier. Meditation sucks when you eat meat.
5) Many great teachers of the past advocate of the soul that exists in every thing on earth. Can you kill and eat something that has soul in it? When you love your dog or cat, the pure sight of the decapitation and agony of a cow will tear your soul apart. I do not want to continue.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2010, 07:06:00 by Buckling_Summer »
PRESENT POSSESSIONS:
 Buckling Spings: IBM Model M 82G2383 Lexmarkian (1995) / IBM Model F PC-AT keyboard 84 keys (6450200)
XM Simplified 1 (Monterey K110 or AK-CN2 or Hua-Jie) Siig MiniTouch KB-1948 GeekHack Spacesaver edition
----------------------------------

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 07:28:12 »
So... the greatest keyboard of all time is made of meat?  I'm lost.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 07:32:30 »
Quote from: Rajagra;148305
I don't think it's possible to dislike the taste of meat. Tastebuds are there to tell you if something is good to eat, and meat is undeniably nutritious, if not eaten to excess.

Finding it distasteful in a broader sense is another matter.

As someone who enjoys pretty much all good food, I find it almost painful to see people who refuse to try things because it's 'different' or 'looks weird' And I don't get people who are freaked out by the idea of eating something like Bull's testicles, but yet would have no qualms eating the bacon of an animal that rolls around in it's own **** all day long.

To compensate for them and the vegetarians, one of my goals in life is to have eaten all of God's creatures before I die.

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 07:34:33 »
Quote from: ricercar;148316
I do find it interesting that few omnivores or carnivores are food stock. Dog is the only example I can think of.

One of the most commonly eaten meats in the world is from an omnivore - pig.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 07:40:10 »
I'll eat just about anything as long as it's cooked properly, although, I have this aversion to insects (I could never do a show like Survivorman or Man vs. Wild).  I like trying new foods, especially seafood.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 12:07:35 »
Quote from: Buckling_Summer;148379
Eating something that is associated with the ultra-violent action of death/killing is not good for your health.  The toxins that are produced at the time of death of the victim animal are then consumed by us together with the other "tasty" nutrients.

That's why God invented Jews. Now we have Kosher meat, which is from animals killed before they know they're going to die. No fear, no toxins. There's a Rabbi in Des Moines who makes over  $1M a year by inspecting meat-packing plants to ensure their Kosher rating is genuine. While the money's good, anyone who's worked in the meat industry knows he's earning every penny.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 12:16:02 »
Quote from: ricercar;148493
That's why God invented Jews. Now we have Kosher meat, which is from animals killed before they know they're going to die. No fear, no toxins. There's a Rabbi in Des Moines who makes over $1M a year by inspecting meat-packing plants to ensure their Kosher rating is genuine. While the money's good, anyone who's worked in the meat industry knows he's earning every penny.

That's why I only eat Hebrew National hot dogs.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 12:21:17 »
Quote from: ripster;148504
$1.50 Costco Polish FTW.

Mmmm... I need to renew my membership.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 12:50:12 »
That's a damn shame.  My GF and I have already planned a tour of the best hot dog spots in Chicago.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 13:01:44 »
Quote from: itlnstln;148515
My GF and I have already planned a tour of the best hot dog spots in Chicago.

There's a joke or 10 in there somewhere.

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 14 January 2010, 04:04:29 »
Quote from: Viett;146987
Yum.

Show Image

this is so tempting.. can i bite some?hehehe

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 04:05:24 »
Quote from: Viett;146987
Yum.

Show Image

Looks like it has n key rollover.
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 07:50:38 »
Quote from: sethstorm;151952
Looks like it has n key rollover.

It looks more like belly rollover to me.

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 08:12:17 »
Quote from: itlnstln;151981
It looks more like belly rollover to me.

...and it's one keyboard that will bottom out.
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 08:18:50 »
Yeah, I want to experience "oneness with cup mallow."

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 10:06:31 »
Be warned that if you use that board, Sticky Keys will be enabled by default. :rofl:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 10:38:27 »
Just plugging it in will format your drives with FAT32.

Offline exia

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 21:45:04 »
Realforce 87U

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 22:09:17 »
Quote from: itlnstln;152042
Just plugging it in will format your drives with FAT32.

The previous generation did it in FAT16 but with the increase in high fructose corn syrup of today's sweets, it necessitated the upgrade to FAT32 in the current version.

Um...I think I just crossed the geek-but-in-a-cool-way threshold over into utterly hopeless nerdville.   I gotta go.

Offline cmr

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 01 February 2010, 22:15:04 »
oh boy talk about "board chow"