Author Topic: 8 months in. Hello!  (Read 2027 times)

Offline networkdrift

8 months in. Hello!
« on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 22:45:24 »
Hi there. In January I bought a KUL ES-87 with Cherry MX Clear switches. I really loved it. I managed to stay away from the craziness of mechanical keyboards until around July when I decided to buy a new keycap set for it - since then, it's just gone terribly down hill.

Currently my collection looks like this:
KUL ES-87 (Cherry MX Clears), Tai-Hao Purple keycap set
Leopold FC660M (Cherry MX Browns), just bought some simple gray PBT keycaps (2 sets so I could get the right shift keys) from geek keys
Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Browns) - bought for gaming but might get rid of it
I joined the Varmilo VA68M drop on Massdrop, so that will be on the way.

I also have some artisans in the mail.

My wallet hurts but I love making keyboards look pretty. My friends think I'm weird though! ;)

I'm a comp sci student in college so I get lots of use out of my keyboards. This is how I justify it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: 8 months in. Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 06:00:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Another KUL success story.

And another MX clear lover ;D

Does your KUL ping much?  I have a CODE with clears, and everyone was saying how badly they ping, but mine doesn't.

Have you tried any linear switches?  Like reds or blacks?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline networkdrift

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 15:53:40 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Does your KUL ping much?  I have a CODE with clears, and everyone was saying how badly they ping, but mine doesn't.

Thanks!

My KUL pings ever so slightly, but I don't even notice it unless I'm thinking about it. My Corsair pings way louder.

As for Clears, I really love their heaviness, although recently I've been trying out MX Browns and I like them a lot too. The bump is definitely my preference!

I had a Corsair K70 with reds before I exchanged it for one with Browns. I didn't care for the linear switch at all.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 05:58:38 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks!

My KUL pings ever so slightly, but I don't even notice it unless I'm thinking about it. My Corsair pings way louder.

As for Clears, I really love their heaviness, although recently I've been trying out MX Browns and I like them a lot too. The bump is definitely my preference!

I had a Corsair K70 with reds before I exchanged it for one with Browns. I didn't care for the linear switch at all.

I like blacks, but can't stand reds.

But then there are blacks and blacks.  My QFR has nice heavy smooth blacks.  My Ducky Shine 3 (yellow edition) has scratchy blacks.  They have improved slightly over time, but I probably don't use it enough to wear them in properly.  I also have a terminal keyboard that is old enough to have vintage blacks, but the markings on teh switches say otherwise.  Nevertheless that is a very nice keyboard to use.

The tactile bump on browns is much less than clears - do you notice much difference?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ