Author Topic: [IC] Let's Split Aluminium case (update: group buy now open)  (Read 18708 times)

Offline ItsBarney01

[IC] Let's Split Aluminium case (update: group buy now open)
« on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 01:55:26 »
Group Buy is live!

More
Hello all,
Thanks for the huge interest on the google form! So far, there are almost 150 people interested, with a total of almost 200 cases requested.

Please fill out this form: https://goo.gl/forms/jYeDAWMYnCi1j3BG3 to help decide on the finish of the plate (brushed or blasted), as well as registering to be notified when the gb starts

Due to popular demand, a turquoise/cyan colour will be available, as well as a grey blue. Most of the other colours seen on the form should also be available.

Components such as the PCBs and other parts will be available, as well as an assembly service (this add roughly $20 to the order).
As for switches, 80% of people do not want to purchase switches from me, so I will likely get into communication with those who do want switches to see if we can figure out a cost effective solution.

While I don't have an exact estimate yet, it looks like the price will be around $150, with an extra cost of roughly $25 for all other components. These figures are currently very rough estimates.

If you haven't filled the form out yet, and are interested in the case, check it out here: https://goo.gl/forms/2b9hbH7vYo6qc1yS2

I am in the process of gathering quotes at the moment, and should be able to start the buy within the next month or so. If anyone has an alps style switch (or a few) in Australia that they could send me for testing, let me know. I can pay for shipping.

So far, I have completed a design, and have produced a 3d printed prototype. Here it is:

And here are some unpainted pictures:

Note: the large rectangular hole at the back will be smaller in the final design, and will be the shape of the usb connection.
(click more for old renders; note these are not representative of the current design)
More
Hi everyone, I have been working on improving the design, and have polished up the 5 degree variant of the case. Here are a few renders:

As you can see, the two halves are in a "portal" colour scheme. I thought it might be nice to offer this, alongside the other standard colours (if I do this, you will be able to order a set of two halves of the same colour, or a "portal" edition). Let me know what you think of this!

Note: while the case is shown with the plate secured with brass machine screws in the corners, the current design which I am 3d printing will use 4 posts to mount the plate. The screws will not be as visible this way. Also, the side and bottom edges will be slimmer in the current design. Photos coming soon.

As for the progress towards the finished product, I would like to 3d print a test model, to ensure the PCB fits within the case, along with the other components. I will let you all know how this goes!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, support and patience!

Previous:
More
Hi everyone,
I recently built a split planck, using the Let's Split PCBs. I used a typical plate case design, separated with some brass posts.

However, this is clearly not as cool as a full case, made of anodized aluminium. Due to this lack of awesomeness, I decided to design one myself. Here it is:
10 degree incline:

5 degree incline:

So far, this is all the progress I have made. If there is any interest, then a group buy may be possible. Either way, I will probably be making one of these for myself.

The specs will be something like this:
- Case available in various anodized colours. They will probably be sandblasted.
- Plate available in anodized colours (also sandblasted), and/or brushed stainless steel. MX and ALPS plates will both be available.
- Assembly screws will be included.

Any suggestions or questions are much appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 October 2017, 20:49:22 by ItsBarney01 »

^^^Click for instagram^^^

Offline Shados

Re: [IC] Let's Split Aluminium case
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 02:27:07 »
I am potentially interested -- I have two sets of Let's Split PCBs to build up, and was thinking of doing one in acrylic and looking into a metal build for the other. I have a few questions:

• The angling on your design there looks pretty sharp, which will likely put some people off. Have you considered doing a flat case design and adding feet for people who do want an angle? Also allows for a customizable angle, depending on the specific feet used and where they're mounted.
  • Have you considered embedding magnets to snap the halves together?
  • What colour options can you offer? Can you provide photos of colour samples from the manufacturer/finisher?

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 03:44:22 »
I am potentially interested -- I have two sets of Let's Split PCBs to build up, and was thinking of doing one in acrylic and looking into a metal build for the other. I have a few questions:

• The angling on your design there looks pretty sharp, which will likely put some people off. Have you considered doing a flat case design and adding feet for people who do want an angle? Also allows for a customizable angle, depending on the specific feet used and where they're mounted.
  • Have you considered embedding magnets to snap the halves together?
  • What colour options can you offer? Can you provide photos of colour samples from the manufacturer/finisher?

Hi mate, thanks for the interest! At this stage, I think that the angling is part of the design. The Splanck I am currently using has a similar angle, and is very nice to type on. However, if large amounts of people do not like this idea, reducing or removing the tilt may be possible. Personally, I really like the way it looks with the angle, and since the front of the case is quite low, there really is no challenge typing on it.

Embedding magnets is a good idea, and is definitely possible. I will look into this more, however I don't see why it shouldn't be implemented.

At this stage, I don't have any information on manufacturing, colours, or any other details. I literally only just made the model this evening, and it isn't even the final design (there are still flaws that need to be removed, think of it as a rough sketch at the moment). If you have any suggestions on colours or manufacturers, let me know!

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 04:55:27 »
I am put off by the forced angles. The two cleanest designs I've seen for planck and Let's Split are jebbra's end game planck case:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85663.0

and se7en9057's wooden Let's Split case:

http://imgur.com/rYmbIVD
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 06:06:07 »
I am put off by the forced angles. The two cleanest designs I've seen for planck and Let's Split are jebbra's end game planck case:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85663.0

and se7en9057's wooden Let's Split case:

http://imgur.com/rYmbIVD

How is that? I can get a proper render out in a few minutes.

Edit: Here it is (sorry it is quite dark, I tried out some different settings and I am quite new to rendering):
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 March 2017, 06:40:38 by ItsBarney01 »

Offline Korseir

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 13:08:53 »
anyone know if there is going to be another let's split group buy?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 13:35:08 »
I like the idea of an angled case, but I think the initial render is a little too steep. Perhaps half it, and add height to the front of the case.
keyboards.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 14:01:44 »
I like the idea of an angled case, but I think the initial render is a little too steep. Perhaps half it, and add height to the front of the case.

Came here to say exactly this. The angle would be really great with a few adjustments.

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 16:46:17 »
anyone know if there is going to be another let's split group buy?

I believe that switchtop is restocking at the moment. ETA April according to their website.

Sounds good. I'll get some renders of this later today when I get home.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 22:54:06 »
Renders.

Looks awesome! I think if everyone else is into the angled design that might be the best choice, especially with King of Keys coming out with a non-angled aluminum case. I'll still be keeping up with the progress here, since non-acryllic Let's Split cases are woefully under-supplied.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 05:48:22 »
New renders!!
This time with a 5 degree incline, compared to the original 10. I think that at this stage, it should be a good angle for comfort, however it will still maintain the aesthetic that was on the original design. Let me know what you think! :thumb:

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 06:01:39 »
New renders!!
This time with a 5 degree incline, compared to the original 10. I think that at this stage, it should be a good angle for comfort, however it will still maintain the aesthetic that was on the original design. Let me know what you think! :thumb:

Show Image

Show Image

Now we're talking! These look great!

Offline menuhin

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 06:04:30 »
How difficult it is to add some high profile option for Planck case and for Let's Split case?

I have never seen one but I am a fan of high profile case, the philosophy of not exposing the stems.

Edit: and is the current design a screw-free design?
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 08:03:55 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 07:59:55 »
New renders!!

Show Image

Show Image

Oh that's very nice. I think 5* will work well for little olkbs.
keyboards.

Offline garbo

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 16:18:06 »
Those 5° renders look good, I'm interested in this.
Prefer the simplicity of these designs over all the corners and engraving on the keysofkings ones.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 16:20:12 by garbo »

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 18:59:53 »
How difficult it is to add some high profile option for Planck case and for Let's Split case?

I have never seen one but I am a fan of high profile case, the philosophy of not exposing the stems.

High profile designs may be possible, however it would likely add a large amount of cost to the case, and I believe that it may ruin the clean aesthetic. I will try out a design soon though.

As for the screws, I have not decided how to deal with that yet. It is likely that four screws will be visible, either on the top or inset into the bottom (if they are in the bottom, they will not be visible when the keyboard is in use. They may even be obscured by rubber feet, so they will never be visible).
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 19:01:37 by ItsBarney01 »

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 20:13:30 »
I'm in for a set, 5 degree looks awesome.

The PCBs I have sitting here are V1 so I hope you end up attaching top and bottom via perimeter instead of V2 through PCB holes.

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 20:17:39 »
I'm in for a set, 5 degree looks awesome.

The PCBs I have sitting here are V1 so I hope you end up attaching top and bottom via perimeter instead of V2 through PCB holes.

Hi mate, will almost certainly be using perimeter mounting.  :thumb:

Offline menuhin

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 04:25:30 »

High profile designs may be possible, however it would likely add a large amount of cost to the case, and I believe that it may ruin the clean aesthetic. I will try out a design soon though.

As for the screws, I have not decided how to deal with that yet. It is likely that four screws will be visible, either on the top or inset into the bottom (if they are in the bottom, they will not be visible when the keyboard is in use. They may even be obscured by rubber feet, so they will never be visible).

I agree the design looks really clean now.

Clean designs like this one, X60, and Duck mini / mini v2 and its TaoBao copy will all look quite similar. On the other hand, Duck mini / mini v2 despite being a high profile case, is a tray mount case (switch mounted to plate, and then soldered to PCB, PCB mounted to case, plate is suspended mainly by its connection to switches). And this design is obviously capable of being top mount (plate fixing directly onto the case, and PCB does not need any support by any standoff) and therefore also supporting handwiring.
Just some brainstorming idea, a simple way to achieve high profile can be with an add-on cap/rim, just like the top layer of Korean's TX keyboards, but larger than the case so that it can be installed like a cap onto the case.

Non-visible screws will make the design look much cleaner and more professional - this is just my opinion, and the reason I have never considered Gon's boards.
But if there must be some visible screws, a careful selection of screw size/type and thoughtful aesthetically placement of them can well decorate the case and make it even more pleasing.

Thanks for bringing this option to this community, to people like me who are interested in the 40% and the split keyboards.  :thumb:
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 05:49:49 »
Update: New renders in OP.

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 04:44:11 »
3d printing complete! let me know what you think  :thumb:

Offline KINGPIN

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 06:46:14 »
Can I get one of the 3d printed version? It looks so good imo
Levia Makes

Offline garbo

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 10:34:29 »
Yeah, I still really like this. The shape seems good, with the bottom slightly lower than the 10 mm standoffs on a standard acrylic sandwich.
BTW if you feel like the project needs more interest you could probably attract some attention on Reddit, where let's splits are fairly popular.

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 19:21:30 »
Can I get one of the 3d printed version? It looks so good imo
Maybe. I got it printed by my school, so I don't think it is fair for me to get it printed for free and then sell it. I will think about shapeways or paying the school. If more people are interested, a shapeways run is certainly possible.

Yeah, I still really like this. The shape seems good, with the bottom slightly lower than the 10 mm standoffs on a standard acrylic sandwich.
BTW if you feel like the project needs more interest you could probably attract some attention on Reddit, where let's splits are fairly popular.
Thanks! I will probably do this when I am ready for the group buy.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 19:53:58 »
The prototype looks really good!

Offline Trente

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 20:29:04 »
The prototype looks fantastic. Just wondering what type of software you used to make the 3d modeling, as I am thinking making 3d printed case for my another project.

Offline Korseir

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:46:08 »
Interested

Offline ItsBarney01

Re: [IC] Let's Split Aluminium case (google form available!)
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 19:32:53 »
Bump: google form added, as well as a picture of the painted case.

Offline digisax

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 20:35:25 »
I've been meaning to build an OLKB for a while, a split with a nice aluminum case would be pretty sweet for it. I'd probably be in.

The renders look awesome.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 20:42:19 »
I've been meaning to build an OLKB for a while, a split with a nice aluminum case would be pretty sweet for it. I'd probably be in.

The renders look awesome.
Thanks mate! Definitely check out the interest form if you haven't already!  :thumb:

Offline teeseeuu

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 09:33:22 »
Totally in for this. The lower the angle the better, imo. I'll probably grab an mx and an Alps.

Offline mrfe333

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 00:04:24 »
I'm totally down for this. I made a geekhack account just for this. Any update? do you have a timeframe?

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 07:01:13 »
I'm totally down for this. I made a geekhack account just for this. Any update? do you have a timeframe?
Currently getting quotes. Group buy will probably open in 5-20 days, invoicing will begin a week or two after the buy opens (depending on interest), and shipping will commence a bit over a month (maybe 1.5 to 2 months) after that.

Offline ItsBarney01

Re: [IC] Let's Split Aluminium case (update: getting quotes)
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 02:25:35 »
update in op

Offline FreeZLP

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 13:41:45 »
@ItsBarney01 Any way I can still get this case? What would it cost me to get one of these?

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 17:10:45 »
@ItsBarney01 Any way I can still get this case? What would it cost me to get one of these?

Hi mate, I have had a really busy few weeks recently so this project has gone on hold. I am still working towards a group buy, and progress should be happening soon.

Offline hahihuhei

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 00:03:25 »
Nice project!
Nice case!

Next project: Let's split!

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 02:18:59 »
I am also in for a set.  I have all the parts on order and having a nice case would put a cherry on top.
Was looking at having to order laser cut acrylic from ponoko.

thks,
t.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline deeoh

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 10:43:52 »

Hi mate, I have had a really busy few weeks recently so this project has gone on hold. I am still working towards a group buy, and progress should be happening soon.

Awesome! I just started collecting the pieces I need to put one together.

Offline frontier

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 06:56:15 »
Love the look of these cases, any chance of getting the files to print them off locally?

Offline TennisShoeNinja

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 11:17:13 »
Just received my kit and was wondering if anyone made this case. I'm in.

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 17:31:12 »
Just received my kit and was wondering if anyone made this case. I'm in.
Hasn't been made yet. Im working on it! Sorry!

Offline Marvellion

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 18:18:16 »
After this is done, any chance for a Nyquist (LS+number row) case?

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 01:37:56 »
After this is done, any chance for a Nyquist (LS+number row) case?
If there is enough interest, I would consider it, but I want to finish this project first.  :thumb:

Offline Scarhoof

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 09:15:35 »
I too am very interested in a couple sets of these! One of the things I love about the Planck is it's weight and solid feel. Let's split just bounces around too much and needs itself a beefy case.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 14:20:18 »
bump.... still alive?
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 21:19:44 »
bump.... still alive?
Yes, sorry for the massive delays!!! I am in communication with manufacturers at the moment.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline chicagoboss25

• deskcandy.xyz | reddit.com/u/heroyjenkins
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 17:16:00 »
Still planning to run the Group Buy? Shoot me a PM if you want any help, I'm trying to get into keyboard case design and also speak Chinese if that helps talking to manufacturers :)

Offline ItsBarney01

Re: [IC] Let's Split Aluminium case (update: final preparations, new survey)
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 23:28:56 »
update and new survey in op

Offline xprongs

Re: [IC] Let's Split Aluminium case (update: final preparations, new survey)
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 18:23:05 »
This is definitely the item that's going to push me into the OLKB and 40% territories. Definitely in!
Every online forum has ****heads, don't pick them out of the masses to prove your point.