Author Topic: [IC] Southpaw 65+, an Alps+MX 65% with a left hand numberpad (GB OPEN NOW)  (Read 69182 times)

Offline ktrezzi

Re: [IC] Southpaw 65+, a 65% with a left hand numberpad
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 13:40:08 »
I´m definetly in for one! :) As we are having a keyboard meetup in Vienna I got to know a guy from Vienna so we split the shipping cost :) Can´t wait for it!

That should make shipping and logistics easier for me. I'll be shipping out late July if that makes a difference.

For me as well :) USD 30 would maybe have been a dealbreaker (no offense) but to split it would is really acceptable.

Nah, not at all. I´m planing to take this baby to my workplace and I guess I have to work for a couple of years ;)

Offline stand.geek

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 01:01:41 »
I have been trying to... squeeze "numpad" in 60% / 65% board but it's not working at all.

I'm interested in this PCB if it support split-spacebar. (IMO, split-spacebar is a must for 60%/65%)
I think I can self-supply acrylic case, so I only need PCB.

I will keep my eyes on high profile alu case though.

So after a number of possible designs and looking over dimensions, the Vendor, Designer and I weren't able to fit a split space in because of the lack of space. The controller is basically a slimmed down teensy and is positioned horizontally along the bottom where the empty space between the spacebar switch and the stabilizer is. This means that it takes up the space of where a swtich for a split space is.

So sad that it won't support split spacebar  :-[
Actually I was really interested in this set.
Can't live without the split spacebar tbh.

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 01:21:17 »
Is underglow rgb capable on the alum case? I'm assuming only bent SS

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 01:45:10 »

The aluminum case will be a solid aluminum case. No cutouts, no acrylic or anything. Keeping it simple for this first round.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 02:11:15 »
awasome

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 02:38:13 »
if this gets done I need to know before I jump on the UK78

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 03:20:59 »

This one might not be done for a while. I'm still working on the revised case and the PCB is still being designed so that we can have alps and MX support without any issues whatsoever. I'm hoping to get the prototypes around mid June to July. 
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 03:22:09 »

This one might not be done for a while. I'm still working on the revised case and the PCB is still being designed so that we can have alps and MX support without any issues whatsoever. I'm hoping to get the prototypes around mid June to July.

alright, but prototypes sounds like a good sign that it'll be made some time in the future... enough for me to save some money and wait for this to happen ;)

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:35:41 »

The aluminum case will be a solid aluminum case. No cutouts, no acrylic or anything. Keeping it simple for this first round.

That's quite fine. Judging by the response results I can see the reasoning. Definitely won't be a deal breaker for me, I'm still very interested in this layout.
Are you considering(😎) anodizing the aluminum in multiple colors or rather bare a aluminum color? Again def not a deal breaker.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 15:50:17 »
Would it be possible to add a bottom row like this to the pcb/plate.

It would allow people to use 7u spacebars which some people love.

EDIT: It would also be pretty cool if the numpad could be flipped (so that the enter key and the rest of the symobols are on the left side of the numbers instead of the right).
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 May 2017, 16:00:59 by Vibex »

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 22:48:04 »
Would it be possible to add a bottom row like this to the pcb/plate.
Show Image

It would allow people to use 7u spacebars which some people love.

EDIT: It would also be pretty cool if the numpad could be flipped (so that the enter key and the rest of the symobols are on the left side of the numbers instead of the right).
Show Image

I think that that bottom row would be doable, but reversing the numberpad is a little of an issue since the 2u "0" and enter as well as minus interfere with the 1u keys because of alps+MX compatability and how stabilizer cutouts on the PCB will most likely overlap the switch solder pads. I might need some time to figure that one out, but I think I might give that a go if round two happens. Have one left and one right compatable numberpad PCB.

switchplate.co

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 09:14:05 »
I think that that bottom row would be doable, but reversing the numberpad is a little of an issue since the 2u "0" and enter as well as minus interfere with the 1u keys because of alps+MX compatability and how stabilizer cutouts on the PCB will most likely overlap the switch solder pads. I might need some time to figure that one out, but I think I might give that a go if round two happens. Have one left and one right compatable numberpad PCB.

Yeah the bottom row didn't look to difficult to do, but I thought the numpad mirroring could be hard. If it can't be done it can't be done.  :blank: Since the numpad can be all 1u keys though people can do a kind of "pseudo" mirrored numpad.

One last change that I think would be pretty nice would be to allow the left shift to be either 1.25u + 1u OR 1u + 1.25u. If this and the option for all the bottom row modifiers being 1u keys, people could tuck the left set of arrow keys farther into the keyboard. This would stop it from interacting as much with the numpad enter key, and people wouldn't have to learn a new Enter key placement to use it.

This also makes it so that people can use a 7u space instead of the 6u space with the left arrow keys, and a 7u spacebar is far easier to get than a 6u. I forgot how numbers work. Both 6u and 7u work fine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 May 2017, 11:13:49 by Vibex »

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 00:05:37 »

Yeah the bottom row didn't look to difficult to do, but I thought the numpad mirroring could be hard. If it can't be done it can't be done.  :blank: Since the numpad can be all 1u keys though people can do a kind of "pseudo" mirrored numpad.

One last change that I think would be pretty nice would be to allow the left shift to be either 1.25u + 1u OR 1u + 1.25u. If this and the option for all the bottom row modifiers being 1u keys, people could tuck the left set of arrow keys farther into the keyboard. This would stop it from interacting as much with the numpad enter key, and people wouldn't have to learn a new Enter key placement to use it.
Show Image

This also makes it so that people can use a 7u space instead of the 6u space with the left arrow keys, and a 7u spacebar is far easier to get than a 6u.

That is actually super genius. I never thought of the enter key when working with the numberpad, but yeah, it does seem more difficult to have to relearn the enter keys. It seems like a great layout for work though since your arrows are right next to your numberpad and you can throw keys like a backspace or macro Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v onto the 4 keys right above the numberpad.

On another note, split left shift is normally 1.25/1, not 1/1.25, right?

switchplate.co

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 09:03:05 »

That is actually super genius. I never thought of the enter key when working with the numberpad, but yeah, it does seem more difficult to have to relearn the enter keys. It seems like a great layout for work though since your arrows are right next to your numberpad and you can throw keys like a backspace or macro Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v onto the 4 keys right above the numberpad.

On another note, split left shift is normally 1.25/1, not 1/1.25, right?
Haha, I really enjoy designing this kind of stuff, so I spend way to much time thinking about all the possibilities.

Yeah the left shift is normally 1.25/1 but I'm pretty sure you can allow for both (and a full size shift). I'm 99% sure that I have seen boards that allow for all three.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 13:00:53 »
Any idea when/if this board will get produced?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 15:49:36 »

When you stop touching yourself.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:25:05 »
Interesting layout. Might consider joining depending on price. It's a good opportunity to try something beyond 60 limits.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 00:18:11 »

I have the first batch of samples on the way. PCB and case are being produced at the moment and depending on how many revisions it needs, production time will start late august or maybe late September.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 00:20:48 »

I have the first batch of samples on the way. PCB and case are being produced at the moment and depending on how many revisions it needs, production time will start late august or maybe late September.

Aiming to get kits that are starting at 80-100 bucks with a PCB and bent steel case/plate and go all the way up to $180-200 with an aluminum case, steel plate, and PCB.

switchplate.co

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 02:39:39 »
Keeping my fingers crossed for a nice looking case. Even singing simple like the one on the Monarch would be nice.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 03:54:47 »
Keeping my fingers crossed for a nice looking case. Even singing simple like the one on the Monarch would be nice.

Just finished up the quick renders for the aluminum case. Nothing too fancy. The case in the render has the 4 degree risers installed. There will also be a 9 degree riser included with the case and it will also be compatible with the cone feet that are widely available. 

switchplate.co

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 07:10:37 »
Neat, thank you for the update. It helps to keep the hype up.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 07:35:31 »
haha ok this is way nicer.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 10:03:39 »
What about the bended case and the ABS one? If they are similar to the pictures in your r/MK reference they might be an outstanding affordable option for this extended 60% layout.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 04:37:13 »
What about the bended case and the ABS one? If they are similar to the pictures in your r/MK reference they might be an outstanding affordable option for this extended 60% layout.

I will definitely be running a bent steel case since its a great looking option and starts the kit at a price point of around 100 bucks. As for an ABS case, after looking at costs for molds and pricing for the factory, I'd have to sell like a billion of them to get them to a reasonable cost.

The bent steel case will be just like the one for the XD60 and XD84. I am finishing up a GB for the XD84 and got the samples in a few weeks back and it looks wonderful. I'll probably have the case at a 6 or 7 degree angle. Something in between really shallow and really steep since realistically, the bent steel plate is there as a lower cost option and doing that would drive up the costs and give me a headache.

switchplate.co

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] Southpaw 65+, an Alps+MX 65% with a left hand numberpad
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 08:54:09 »
Do you have some pictures of the bend case of your previous GB?
Would this bent case be notched for top switch removal?

Edit: This might be my target layout for this, if I'd join the GB.

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 June 2017, 10:04:11 by ideus »

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 10:35:55 »
When you stop touching yourself.

So never  :'(

Just finished up the quick renders for the aluminum case. Nothing too fancy. The case in the render has the 4 degree risers installed. There will also be a 9 degree riser included with the case and it will also be compatible with the cone feet that are widely available. 

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh wow, loving the look of that. Really clean, and I like that it comes with multiple riser options.

Seems reasonable

This might be my target layout for this, if I'd join the GB.
Show Image

This is what I'd be going for.
Top is if we can get the indented left arrow keys.
Bottom is if we can't.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 14:15:53 »
Why do you want to get two arrow clusters?

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 17:28:12 »
They are for different use cases.
The one on the right is used for when I'm gaming without a mouse, when I'm flipping through digital comics, etc.
The one on the left is used for when I'm navigating web pages, and other tasks that I want access to the arrow keys and my mouse at the same time.
Right now I do this by just moving my mouse to the other side of my keyboard, but I feel like having two sets of arrow keys is a more elegant solution. Plus I like the way it looks.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 18:02:18 »
They are for different use cases.
The one on the right is used for when I'm gaming without a mouse, when I'm flipping through digital comics, etc.
The one on the left is used for when I'm navigating web pages, and other tasks that I want access to the arrow keys and my mouse at the same time.
Right now I do this by just moving my mouse to the other side of my keyboard, but I feel like having two sets of arrow keys is a more elegant solution. Plus I like the way it looks.

I see. Well, this PCB will allow you to get the space even for two sets of arrows; so, that's awesome too.

Edit: One more thing: Is the backspace on the left an error, or a feature you want?

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 22:38:18 »
I see. Well, this PCB will allow you to get the space even for two sets of arrows; so, that's awesome too.

Edit: One more thing: Is the backspace on the left an error, or a feature you want?

Yeah I use a really weird layout. I've talked about it before (especially at Keycon), but I never did a full write up on why I use it though. I should get on that.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 01:25:32 »

Ok, im on my computer now and here's what the bent case will look like. There's also a acrylic diffuser on the bottom for the LEDs but I didn't have the board programmed in the picture.

switchplate.co

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 15:50:28 »

Ok, im on my computer now and here's what the bent case will look like. There's also a acrylic diffuser on the bottom for the LEDs but I didn't have the board programmed in the picture.

Show Image

Looks great thank you. As you stated previously, it may allow a great starting point in price for this kit.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 16:51:08 »

Show Image

Definitely gonna get the full case myself, but having this as an option will definitely pull in some more people. :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 17:23:16 »
Will the plates for this kit allow top switch removal?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 22:56:42 »

Yeah, most definetly. Gonna have seperate plates for alps and MX so the fit will be pretty much optimized for them.

switchplate.co

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 23:53:59 »

Yeah, most definetly. Gonna have seperate plates for alps and MX so the fit will be pretty much optimized for them.

Awesome! Thank you for the confirmation.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 08:55:26 »
That bent plate case looks nicer than I expected, though I'm not fond of open sides so I'll stick to the traditional.  Also glad to hear about switch top removal, this project is looking really nice so hopefully people will be open to the left-hand numpad and support it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 09:12:22 »
That bent plate case looks nicer than I expected, though I'm not fond of open sides so I'll stick to the traditional.  Also glad to hear about switch top removal, this project is looking really nice so hopefully people will be open to the left-hand numpad and support it.

Neither I do like the open sides; but, it would be an awesome option cost-wise. The Al case is just too expensive for the wallet.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 18:40:02 »

Will the bent cases allow top switch removal, as well?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 05:17:19 »

Yeah, the bent cases will be cut exactly like the normal plates, just with the bent part to support the whole thing.

Wondering what angle you guys like your keyboards at? Something shallow like 4 degrees or soemthing a little more like 10 degrees. There will only be one version each of the alps and MX bent plates so I need to decide on an angle or figure something else out.

switchplate.co

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 09:52:13 »

Yeah, the bent cases will be cut exactly like the normal plates, just with the bent part to support the whole thing.

Wondering what angle you guys like your keyboards at? Something shallow like 4 degrees or soemthing a little more like 10 degrees. There will only be one version each of the alps and MX bent plates so I need to decide on an angle or figure something else out.

I'd say 4 degrees. It is known that the safest position for the wrists to prevent injuries should be neutral or even with a negative tilt. Of course, you can always float your hands over your keyboard. but a high angle makes it a bit difficult, so a shallow one would make a more ergonomic typing surface.

Offline reconsiderit

Alright, so its been a little while since the last update, but I've gotten the layout confirmation for the PCB which will be alps and MX compatable. Most of the layouts and key positions were able to be put onto the PCB. The first batch of samples for the cases, plates, and PCBs are looking to be delivered to my partner in CN by the end of this month and I'm hoping that I'll have them in my hands by the second week of august. If all goes well and no revisions are needed, GB should start at the end of August.

switchplate.co

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Alright, so its been a little while since the last update, but I've gotten the layout confirmation for the PCB which will be alps and MX compatable. Most of the layouts and key positions were able to be put onto the PCB. The first batch of samples for the cases, plates, and PCBs are looking to be delivered to my partner in CN by the end of this month and I'm hoping that I'll have them in my hands by the second week of august. If all goes well and no revisions are needed, GB should start at the end of August.

Show Image

Great!

Offline lecorsair

recon,

I'm not familiar with the XD60 vendor, but a cursory search shows that it uses TKG as the keymapper, is this also the case with your Southpaw?

Offline ktrezzi

Glad to hear, I´ll hope that my buddy from Austria will hop on the train so that I can share shipping cost with him  ;D

Offline reconsiderit

recon,

I'm not familiar with the XD60 vendor, but a cursory search shows that it uses TKG as the keymapper, is this also the case with your Southpaw?

Yep, this will have the same kimera core soldered onto the PCB and use the same TKG keymapper as XD60 and XD84. There should be an available kimera preset for it once everything is finished for it.

switchplate.co

Offline ktrezzi

Is it by any chance possible to get a already programmed PCB? So that I only have to solder and plug&play?

Offline reconsiderit

Is it by any chance possible to get a already programmed PCB? So that I only have to solder and plug&play?

Being from the same factory and vendor as the XD64 and the XD84, they should be preprogrammed to a certain layout right out of the factory. I'll probably send them a standard layout to flash onto the board when it comes time for production, or at least after I get the first prototype.

switchplate.co

Offline Jimmyjams

Seems like a really great idea, very interested. Any idea when we can next expect an update?