Author Topic: [IC] DSA Aurebesh [Google Form added!] [Layouts added!]  (Read 8038 times)

Offline deeoh

[IC] DSA Aurebesh [Google Form added!] [Layouts added!]
« on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 07:52:07 »
Edit: thanks to cyanos for the layouts!

Base Set:

Show Image

Additional mono symbols:

Here are some additional symbols that may be combined with the Base set. This includes the number row, shifted number row, additional Aurebesh symbols, arrows, brackets, and other standard keyboard symbols.

Show Image

Full(er) Keyboard Mockup
We haven't been primarily focused on delivering mods beyond 1u, so let us know if you would be interested in mods longer than 1u, perhaps looking like this.

Show Image

The following explore some possible color ways on 1u mono mods.

Robot Blue

Show Image

Pilot Orange
Show Image

Resistance Red
Show Image

Hunter Green
Show Image

Ok, so this IC is starting off light on content, just so I can get a feel for if this is even worth it. I really, really want some Aurebesh keys and they've either been done in a way I don't like (Milestone) or they're taking forever (REBEL). So, I had an idea: all that is needed for a DSA set, really, is to provide the TKL Base Set (https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-sublimated-keycap-sets/) from SP and any modifier kits can be ordered directly from them. That way, only one kit has been designed, there will be no (less?) worries about hitting MOQ, and people can choose the mod color that they think goes best. Unless the response is overwhelmingly negative here, I'm going to start working up a layout and I will update this post with it. If you have any comments or criticisms, please, don't hold back!

EDIT: Google form up! https://goo.gl/forms/hnpPKxr6wjLHz53j2
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 September 2017, 11:39:05 by deeoh »

Offline deeoh

Re: [IC] DSA Aurebesh (bring your own damn modifiers)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 07:54:22 »
I was so excited to post this that I forgot to post the font!

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 07:57:40 »
Sounds good. Count me in.
So in contrast to Milestone, you'd skip the secondary legends?

Offline deeoh

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 08:02:25 »
Sounds good. Count me in.
So in contrast to Milestone, you'd skip the secondary legends?

Correct! A single, centered Aurebesh character per key. I'm thinking black legend on white keys, for maximal colorway compatibility, but I'm open to suggestions. Maybe a google form is a good idea...

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 11:54:37 »
So keyboards would have a mix of Aurebesh (alphas) and Latin (mod) legends? It will look like a clashing mixture of two different sets, and that's because it is. I think this only works with icon mods, and SP doesn't sell icon mods outside of sets like Granite.

Offline deeoh

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 11:59:08 »
So keyboards would have a mix of Aurebesh (alphas) and Latin (mod) legends? It will look like a clashing mixture of two different sets, and that's because it is. I think this only works with icon mods, and SP doesn't sell icon mods outside of sets like Granite.

Or blank mods. I do see your point, however, I'm not really interested in designing a set of modifiers. If there's not enough interest with the TKL Base only offering, I would consider talking to SP about running the Granite Icon mods as black on red, but that's pushing the amount of work I really want to invest in designing the set.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 12:35:13 »

Or blank mods. I do see your point, however, I'm not really interested in designing a set of modifiers. If there's not enough interest with the TKL Base only offering, I would consider talking to SP about running the Granite Icon mods as black on red, but that's pushing the amount of work I really want to invest in designing the set.

Don't half-ass it. If you want people to support this, you really need a matching set of mods. I like the idea, but without a "complete" set, it's not really worth it to me.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 12:55:48 »

Yeah, blank mods would look better than regular text mods. I still think it would look odd, but that's just because I think blank mods (or completely blank sets) always look odd anyway. However, I do realize how challenging it would be to design a set of original icon mods that would look good with the Aurebesh alphas, and how much more complicated the entire endeavor becomes as a result. But you have to agree that such a set would be totally killer...

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 12:58:56 »
If you don't want to figure out a way to design/offer icon mods to fit the theme I'm sure a lot of people will be disappointed - I don't know where you plan to run this but if you can split the kits up (or offering a singular kit) then I'm sure many will be interested in alphas only; latin mods with aurebesh alphas looks strange to me personally and I'd rather just mix and match with my other icon mod kits I already own (granite, granite HC and a bunch of XDA milestone/canvas ones). If I can do that, then I'm in.

Then again if you run this through a smaller business/vendor splitting kits may be troublesome. Then again, if that's what you're aiming at, maybe running this as literally just alphas might be a better plan. Guess you'll have time to ponder all this as the IC/project progresses. Good luck.

Offline deeoh

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 13:04:32 »
Don't half-ass it. If you want people to support this, you really need a matching set of mods. I like the idea, but without a "complete" set, it's not really worth it to me.

This isn't being half-assed. This is allowing people to pick and choose their own mods or even reuse their existing ones. There's a huge lack of keysets with non-Latin legends and I'm looking for a way to fill that specific niche. If more people agree with you than me, then I'll have to reevaluate.

Yeah, blank mods would look better than regular text mods. I still think it would look odd, but that's just because I think blank mods (or completely blank sets) always look odd anyway. However, I do realize how challenging it would be to design a set of original icon mods that would look good with the Aurebesh alphas, and how much more complicated the entire endeavor becomes as a result. But you have to agree that such a set would be totally killer...

I hear you and I totally agree, but until it's clear that no one wants just the Aurebesh alphas, I'm sticking to my guns here.

Offline deeoh

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 13:08:37 »
If you don't want to figure out a way to design/offer icon mods to fit the theme I'm sure a lot of people will be disappointed - I don't know where you plan to run this but if you can split the kits up (or offering a singular kit) then I'm sure many will be interested in alphas only; latin mods with aurebesh alphas looks strange to me personally and I'd rather just mix and match with my other icon mod kits I already own (granite, granite HC and a bunch of XDA milestone/canvas ones). If I can do that, then I'm in.

Then again if you run this through a smaller business/vendor splitting kits may be troublesome. Then again, if that's what you're aiming at, maybe running this as literally just alphas might be a better plan. Guess you'll have time to ponder all this as the IC/project progresses. Good luck.
I really want to run these, too! I'll put up a Google form to gather some more info on who wants what and is willing to settle for what else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline graefeln

Re: [IC] DSA Aurebesh (bring your own damn modifiers) [Google Form added!]
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 14:08:05 »
I like the idea of just the alphas. As an Ergodox user, the mods would probably have just been blanks anyways.

Offline deeoh

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 14:10:15 »
I like the idea of just the alphas. As an Ergodox user, the mods would probably have just been blanks anyways.

Exactly! I use an Atreus, but I'm building a Let's Split and a Planck, so I'm sick of the extra crap that I have to buy or a lack of compatibility with my boards, which are not uncommon.

Offline cyanos

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 14:32:04 »

+1 Exactly the same situation here. Ergodox, blanks for mods anyways.

Offline zeltner

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 15:09:50 »
What about number row and function row? I feel like its going to look weird if they don't match the alphas.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 15:25:01 »
I feel that numbers should be there as well. F-row not necessarily. I actually really like the idea of just alphas and not a full set. I could even imagine having a couple different color variants of the alphas and let the community choose.

One thing I might actually also want to see is the punctuation alphas like on Milestone, even if just mono legends, just to keep a uniform look across the alpha cluster

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 18:17:15 »

XDA milestone on XT40, if this is what you are trying to do here.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 19:11:41 »
I only care about the alphanumeric keys, unless a hypothetical icon mod set had Planck compatibility, which is pretty unlikely. I agree with japanitrat that the punctuation should be mono legends.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 18:22:25 »
You should talk to MiTo about getting these added to Godspeed XDA (or do your alpha only as a seperate drop using the Solar Alphas colors) and use Ares Icon mods.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 August 2017, 18:26:22 by elfick »

Offline breckstar

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 10:11:19 »
Count me in for solo legend ones. Dye sub would be awesome

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 10:30:35 »
After giving it some thought and staring at the massdrop page, I'd definitely be in if this was done in XDA PBT so that it could be matched to Godspeed Icon mods, but I'd pass on DSA.

Offline cyanos

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 09:23:11 »
Hi all, I've been working with deeoh (OP) on the Aurebesh keycap design. I've included mockups below. They don't have the realism of a render, unfortunately, but hopefully they can still communicate its layout and our general intention.

We might consider XDA as well, but I, for one, don't know of any manufacturers. If anyone reading this knows of any, please let me know. Well, and we are slightly concerned with quality control issues we've seen in the past.

Base Set:

Additional mono symbols:

Here are some additional symbols that may be combined with the Base set. This includes the number row, shifted number row, additional Aurebesh symbols, arrows, brackets, and other standard keyboard symbols.

Full(er) Keyboard Mockup
We haven't been primarily focused on delivering mods beyond 1u, so let us know if you would be interested in mods longer than 1u, perhaps looking like this.

The following explore some possible color ways on 1u mono mods.

Robot Blue

Pilot Orange

Resistance Red

Hunter Green

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 September 2017, 09:31:01 by cyanos »

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 10:24:58 »
Great to see an update  :thumb:  Really digging the updated mocks and the color options being considered.

I understand these are just mocks for demonstrating what you guys are thinking about, but would you guys consider offering colored keys for the number row? I know I'd be unlikely to use this set on an ortho board.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 11:37:02 »
I really like how these are coming out! I'm interested in the additional mono symbols and ortholinear mods, and I particularly like the green ones.

Offline Kopsi

Re: [IC] DSA Aurebesh [Google Form added!] [Layouts added!]
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 07:55:19 »
Hey, I'm trying to put an aurebesh ergodox layout together and wanted to know, how you created the mockup. I'm having some difficulty finding the icons and there seems to be no unicode or whatsoever. What software are you using?
Nice work overall!

Offline deeoh

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 07:56:44 »
We picked it up from dafont: https://www.dafont.com/aurebesh.font.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 08:27:21 »
We picked it up from dafont: https://www.dafont.com/aurebesh.font.

Just a warning, those are backwards.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline deeoh

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 08:30:26 »

Thanks for the warning! Take a peek a little further down the page, though, I think the backwards ones are supposed to be capital letters. How are things coming with the SA set?

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 08:34:42 »

Thanks for the warning! Take a peek a little further down the page, though, I think the backwards ones are supposed to be capital letters. How are things coming with the SA set?

Backwards are the capitals but to be more "accurate" the lower case legends would be the correct ones.  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aurebesh

SA set will run at some point, it isn't dead yet, it's more so on the back burner as I've taken up designing keyboards and I'm honestly having a lot more fun with that.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline deeoh

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 08:39:16 »
Backwards are the capitals but to be more "accurate" the lower case legends would be the correct ones.  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aurebesh

SA set will run at some point, it isn't dead yet, it's more so on the back burner as I've taken up designing keyboards and I'm honestly having a lot more fun with that.

Thanks, I appreciate the help! I'm struggling to decide how to run these. Since I originally put up the IC, I've been typing on sculpted SA and now I'm seriously favoring this over any of my other sets (G20 and XDA).

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 09:03:07 »
Signature plastics just announced they are taking submissions for custom dye sublimated sets. Worth a shot in submitting. Seems like a perfect project for it

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/submit-your-design/