• Formerly 'scatology'
Taiao
« on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 08:01:37 »
Hi all!
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 October 2019, 07:40:12 by scatology »

Offline hking0036

Re: Tai-Hao questionnable quality
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 11:02:34 »
Defects are fairly standard for Tai Hao sets though that space bar looks rough even for them. I have one of their PBT sets and it was nice and cheap but I can't say I didn't get what I paid for, about the same in terms of defects on the normal keys but nothing functionally out of order. I think you can get enjoypbt/gateron blanks for a comparable price, those might be worth looking at next time instead.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 21:49:33 »
It's been a while since I bought a Tai Hao set, but I have not had any of the issues you have shown.

I have about 9 or 10 Tai Hao sets and, although cheap, they are all fine.

Might have been a bad batch?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 23:31:30 »
my last set of Tai-Hao caps had a few rough spots on the keys but for 26ish dollars I paid there more then quality enough. My space bar was also not as wavy. I find the quality to price ratio to be outstanding. if not mistaken I have roughly 3 sets of these caps. One set came on a board I bought, One Set was Rosewell Caps and the other was a set of there new cubic profile. The only thing I could talk ill of is one set was suppose to be PBT but the space bar did shine after about 3 months of use.

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 01:47:45 »
I have two Tai-Hao PBT sets. One out of the two is backlit. They're not perfect, but nothing as bad as you pictured. The only defect of mine is a tiny round dent/scratch at the back side of the keycaps. All the keys have that and also at the exact same location with about 1mm diameter. But since it's at the back and thereby invisible when used on my desk i don't really mind.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 21:45:09 »
my last set of Tai-Hao caps had a few rough spots on the keys but for 26ish dollars I paid there more then quality enough. My space bar was also not as wavy. I find the quality to price ratio to be outstanding. if not mistaken I have roughly 3 sets of these caps. One set came on a board I bought, One Set was Rosewell Caps and the other was a set of there new cubic profile. The only thing I could talk ill of is one set was suppose to be PBT but the space bar did shine after about 3 months of use.

Which board came with Tai Hao?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 04:17:20 »
A KBParadise V60 Dolch version. What I read the keycaps where supplied by Tai-Hao and they did look and feel like my other Tai-Hao caps.. There nice caps for being on a 80 dollar board.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 21:57:59 »
A KBParadise V60 Dolch version. What I read the keycaps where supplied by Tai-Hao and they did look and feel like my other Tai-Hao caps.. There nice caps for being on a 80 dollar board.

Fair enough, thanks.

I guess adding a GMK Dolch set to those keyboards would more than double the price :))

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 15:29:54 »
The two Tai Hao sets I purchased awhile ago had similar issues, but they are also some of the cheapest, if not thecheapest, keysets you can buy so it's not super surprising to me.  I believe the old adage is, "You get what you pay for"
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 21:48:18 »
I must have been lucky - all my sets are fine, including from the original GB where the price was $9 per set.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 21:58:05 »
That looks bad. I have two sets: an ALPs set that came on my V80 and a lilac/onyx set from Massdrop. The MD set has the left shift issue you showed (I thought it was my keyboard, so I dremeled the switch plate to try to straighten the switch, but it didn't completely fix it), but neither has any other problems. I've been impressed with the quality of my sets for the price. I'd contact the retailer for an exchange if I were you.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 09:18:24 »
Return them. Despite being super inexpensive, that spacebar is wack.
keyboards.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 14:59:48 »

Fair enough, thanks.

I guess adding a GMK Dolch set to those keyboards would more than double the price :))

haha it be like buy the keycaps get the keyboard free! Wait I think we did this wrong :P....

Offline keycapper

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 23:12:58 »
I have 4 different Tai Hao sets and they are all fine.  In fact the quality of Tai Hao sets I have usually exceed the quality of other sets in the same  price range.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 08:08:12 »
I would send an e-mail to the manufacturer showing these keycaps, especially the spacebar, that's very wacky. Maybe they'll send you a good one.
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline Riverman

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 23:05:27 »
I've owned a few Tai Hao sets, both PBT and ABS, and only the very first PBT set I bought had a wavy space bar.  A quick email to the retailer I bought it from got me a new one. 

Offline Max_P0

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 12:54:33 »
I am very new here. In fact after lurking I finally joined.

This is really alarming. I purchased a set on Mass Drop and I would be pissed if this happens.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 16 September 2017, 22:04:44 »
I wouldn't let it alarm ya things happen have had err lets see around 3 sets of Tai-Hao with zero issues.. There typically pretty sold and really really good quality for the price. I have a set on order at massdrop right now cause! 29 bucks and there decent and a profile I enjoy its win win.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 21:53:48 »
I am very new here. In fact after lurking I finally joined.

This is really alarming. I purchased a set on Mass Drop and I would be pissed if this happens.

It's not common, and with Massdrop at least there's someone you can contact if there are issues.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 13:24:59 »
Came in to say I have a set and it doesn't have defects like that.
If you have any problems I'm sure if you contact them, they'll be happy to help.
It makes sense that you paid for it and would expect it to be perfect but patience can go a long way.

Offline kialios

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 03:25:49 »
it lookes beautiful,but i don't have one,emmmmm...