Author Topic: Help Identifying Keyboard?? HP 3x-lk463-a2  (Read 1977 times)

Offline RealDealSexAppeal

Help Identifying Keyboard?? HP 3x-lk463-a2
« on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 21:53:28 »
Hello Everyone,

I recently came across a pretty odd keyboard at my goodwill store. I ended up picking it up because the keys felt really odd and heavy. Although to my surprise after opening they ended up being simple rubber dome keys  :(. I then went ahead and looked up the keyboard because it was curious about it and i found it selling anywhere from 200-400. From what i read it is related to OpenVMS in some way but im pretty clueless about that.

Also... the key caps are stupid thin and cheap feeling why would anyone pay that much for one of these keyboards?

Thank you for looking at my post.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Help Identifying Keyboard?? HP 3x-lk463-a2
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 22:08:52 »
It looks like a variation of the LK401 from Digital Equipment.
Edit: Oh, I see that the The Model No contains "LK463".

The bottom looks different from those I have seen, but apparently there were three different manufacturers of it.
The beige LK401 that I had had thick keycaps (that may have been in hard PBT plastic), not flimsy feel at all.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 September 2017, 22:18:41 by Findecanor »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Re: Help Identifying Keyboard?? HP 3x-lk463-a2
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 14:03:31 »
Apologies for the necro post, but was looking for pics of one of these, and was happy to see some detailed ones here :)

The LK-series keyboards are associated with the OpenVMS operating system, and Digital's LK-series terminals. There are many software packages out there (and in-house software) which depends on that layout. There are emulators which approximate the layout on a standard PC layout, but some people put a premium on the orignal layout, and thus those keyboards command a high price. These later models are also the only ones which are USB-native (as opposed to PS/2, or the older DEC proprietary interface which used a connector which looks like an RJ11 jack).

The older ones (made by Honeywell) had dye-sublimated PBT keycaps, and the rubber domes they used are quite firm and responsive when they are new or in good condition (well worn ones feel pretty junky, like most rubber dome keyboards). It seems like the newer ones (which were made by Cherry) are lower quality. The legends, keycap profile and case on the Cherry ones are pretty much identical to the Honeywell ones, and have pretty much nothing in common with Cherry's other keyboards, which makes me suspect that Cherry acquired the tooling from Honeywell at some point and made them under contract for HP.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 March 2018, 14:06:43 by ch_123 »