Author Topic: Wide Gamut display browsing.  (Read 5529 times)

Offline typo

Wide Gamut display browsing.
« on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 00:04:49 »
If one has a Wide Gamut 4K, 10 bit display they will quickly realize browsers are not color managed. It looks horrible. I was just wondering if fixing this is as easy as loading a SRGB ICC? Or if you simply cannot fix this. Switching displays is not exactly convenient.

Offline Coreda

Re: Wide Gamut display browsing.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 00:36:40 »
I have a wide gamut display, not 10-bit but yeah it was surprising when I looked into it how many browsers didn't handle it. I did find though that you could set an advanced setting in Firefox to true which enables it (in the about:config settings):

Code: [Select]
gfx.color_management.enablev4
Which is what I use. At the time I looked Chromium lacked an equivalent setting, but it may now.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 09:09:18 »
right now it's a mess out there..

usually pc monitors have different modes you can set for this.  but most applications aren't aware, and will just screw it up.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 13:11:30 »
right now it's a mess out there..

usually pc monitors have different modes you can set for this.  but most applications aren't aware, and will just screw it up.

This. I have a U2413 wide gamut monitor (14 bit with LUT) and on OS X everything was pretty much perfect. On Win10 (and linux) it is a total mess. Everything looks oversaturated as the OS apparently cannot correct for the color values to normalize at against regular 6 bit + FRC monitors / 8 bit monitors).

In Photoshop, Lightroom, or Indesign (I use the monitor for print verification, mostly) it looks great. Everything else looks borked.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 17:45:14 »
Yeah, MAC is okay go figure. Win 10 is actually much worse than Win 7! What the heck is wrong here? It is certainly not the display or the GPU it is the OS! I can tell you why too. It is made for their DX and not OpenGL. DX up to date cannot support this. It is a shame they sell these cheap Dell's and HP's. People expecting they will get better color and get horrid. FireFox is not truly color managed either because it runs off the DX API.  Someone buy's a TOTL Eizo they probably are only using it with photoshop. That means Quadro or Firepro as well. 4K and forbid 5,8K is also a disaster in Win 10 since everything has to scale and DX cannot do that either. Makes one think about getting a Mac!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 17:49:31 »
Yeah, MAC is okay go figure. Win 10 is actually much worse than Win 7! What the heck is wrong here? It is certainly not the display or the GPU it is the OS! I can tell you why too. It is made for their DX and not OpenGL. DX up to date cannot support this. It is a shame they sell these cheap Dell's and HP's. People expecting they will get better color and get horrid. FireFox is not truly color managed either because it runs off the DX API.  Someone buy's a TOTL Eizo they probably are only using it with photoshop. That means Quadro or Firepro as well. 4K and forbid 5,8K is also a disaster in Win 10 since everything has to scale and DX cannot do that either. Makes one think about getting a Mac!

It is truly ridiculous. There was this bug in win7 that when you had your monitor calibrated other than default OS settings, moving windows with content that was color-adjusted for the calibration was tedious, slow, and sometimes even crashed apps.

I find it amazing that Win10 just does not have a control panel for this that actually is decent. If Apple can do seamless color transformation, it should be easy on my workstation that is a magnitude faster than everything that Apple offers.

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 05:00:00 »
That is the problem that stops me from apple. It does not have the computing power. Of course average users would not be running high end multi Xeon workstations. This and other things stink in windows 10. I really cannot say anything bad because I am under contract with them right now.

I will say a Wide Gamut 10 bit monitor outside of PS is a disaster on win 10. So is 4K. I think that is fair to say because it is the truth.
It is stupid my TV is 12 bit Wide Gamut and scales Hulu Etc. fine. Truthfully you should use 4:3 with windows!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 13:51:56 »
That is the problem that stops me from apple. It does not have the computing power. Of course average users would not be running high end multi Xeon workstations. This and other things stink in windows 10. I really cannot say anything bad because I am under contract with them right now.

I will say a Wide Gamut 10 bit monitor outside of PS is a disaster on win 10. So is 4K. I think that is fair to say because it is the truth.
It is stupid my TV is 12 bit Wide Gamut and scales Hulu Etc. fine. Truthfully you should use 4:3 with windows!

I thought about going 4k but then I didn't for said reasons. A shame. That is one thing Apple really nailed with the 5k iMac. academic papers look beautiful on it.

Offline JohanAR

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 05:05:57 »
I use DisplayCAL to load a calibrated ICC profile. Makes everything look good but I think it adjusts on GPU level so I wouldn't be able to actually use the wide gamut in a color managed application