Author Topic: Thoughts on Gateron Clears?  (Read 17440 times)

Offline Areyn13

Thoughts on Gateron Clears?
« on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 19:33:53 »
So I've been trying to find the perfect mechanical keyboard and I'm having a hard time finding the perfect key switch for me (gaming mostly, occasionally typing)

I first tried Cherry MX Brown switches and thought they were ok, though the tactile feel felt a bit dirty to me. I then tried the Cherry Speed switches and enjoyed the linear feel a lot better, the only problem was they felt a bit too "Stiff and Scratchy" (Speeds are labeled at 45g actuation and still feel too heavy) So then I've come to realize i might need to expand my horizons and start looking into Gateron switches, more specifically the Clears. I just want a linear switch that's smooth as butter to press down, requires very little force to bottom out and just generally feel light to the touch. I put very little pressure on my key presses, so Clears (on paper) sound amazing.

So what do you guys think? If i do go the Gateron route, I'm thinking heavily on this as an option:

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/collections/glorious-gaming-modular-cherry-gateron-kailh-mechanical-keyboards/products/glorious-modular-mechanical-pc-gaming-keyboard-full-size-barebone-104-key-gateron-cherry-kailh-switches

I will also add blue switches to my cart as I've never really tried Clicky keys before.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2017, 19:37:34 by Areyn13 »

Offline Merranza

Re: Thoughts on Gateron Clears?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 19:53:35 »
Heavily looking for this keybaord too.

I really prefer linear to tactile. I tried Speed for 3 weeks and only grew more and more hate for them. The reduced total travel results in 100% bottoming out and I agree with you also when you say they feel heavy. They do indeed feel heavier than Reds.

I need to try Gateron Clears... really. Just not sure if I'll go the TKL route or full size...

I like the form factor of TKL but having no numpad cluster is a concern.

Cooler master really nailed it with their hybrid that keeps the numpad cluster but close to the size of a TKL.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2017, 20:00:46 by Merranza »

Offline Areyn13

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 20:06:41 »

I really prefer linear to tactile. I tried Speed for 3 weeks and only grew more and more hate for them. The reduced total travel results in 100% bottoming out and I agree with you also when you say they feel heavy. They do indeed feel heavier than Reds.

Oh wow, you're in the same position as me right now. Yeah the speeds I "Thought" sounded appealing on paper, though over-time the stiff/heavy presses kind of irritated my fingers. I did some research and apparently the Speed switches require close to 70g to bottom-out the switch while reds require around 65g. The Gateron Clears however, bottom-out at 50g... So very light.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2017, 20:09:17 by Areyn13 »

Offline Merranza

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 20:14:29 »

Oh wow, you're in the same position as me right now. Yeah the speeds I "Thought" sounded appealing on paper, though over-time the stiff/heavy presses kind of irritated my fingers. I did some research and apparently the Speed switches require close to 70g to bottom-out the switch while reds require around 65g. The Gateron Clears however, bottom-out at 50g... So very light.

Yup exactly. I also hated gaming with them... With that 3,4 mm total travel combined to the extra stiffness of the switch, my fingers/hands always felt cramped and it became uncomfortable after a period of time (FPS games were the worst).

As for "speed", I did close to 60 speed tests switching from Reds to Speeds and they performed exactly the same in terms of WPM. I even had a few faster runs on Reds.

Offline Areyn13

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 02:19:50 »
So I did it, I purchased the GMMK TKL with Gateron Clear switches (should arrive sometime next week or fortnight) I think you and I share similar taste in key switch feel Merranza, so I'll update you on how they perform and compare to Speeds when they arrive.

Offline Merranza

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 07:34:28 »
So I did it, I purchased the GMMK TKL with Gateron Clear switches (should arrive sometime next week or fortnight) I think you and I share similar taste in key switch feel Merranza, so I'll update you on how they perform and compare to Speeds when they arrive.

Oh nice! I'm happy for you!

Keep me updated, it's really appreciated.

Offline Areyn13

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 07:27:57 »
So it's been a while, but I finally have my hands on the GMMK Tkl w/ Gateron Clear switches (I also got some Blue switches for fun).

As someone who's only ever had experience with Speed linear switches, right away these things are quite a bit lighter. They require little to no effort to bottom out and have a "hollow" feel to them. I imagine they feel like super lubed up reds with lighter springs, with no more "scratchy" feeling that i found on the Speed switches. Just a buttery smooth, feather light switch and I like it a LOT.

If you're someone who's naturally quite light on their fingers when typing or gaming and think you can handle something even lighter, then Gateron clears are fantastic. I haven't experienced any unusual errors when typing either, but I know some people don't like them for this exact reason so your experience might be different.

Also the GMMK Tkl board itself is very nice. Minimalist design, black aluminum back-plate and of course the ability to swap out key switches. Even if in future I decide to change boards, i think it's a great thing to keep around for switch testing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 December 2017, 07:34:16 by Areyn13 »