Author Topic: People Who Can't Navigate  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
People Who Can't Navigate
« on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 20:35:50 »
Why must I constantly deal with people who not only can't navigate, but do not follow the directions I give to my home when they call me?

I mean, my apartment complex was built by someone obsessed with Picasso, Lovecraft, long walks and M.C. Escher, so I expect some problems. When people end up in another state however, I start questioning their sanity.

And when it takes them 30 minutes to figure out they are literally 50 feet from my door, I kinda want to grab them and slap some flipping sense int them. It's even worse when they drive past a person in a very brightly colored Chief's coat flailing their arms and a big copper cane like a madwoman and they know they should be looking for this person.

When phrases like "no matter what, you will not be able to drive to my front door" and "no, my friend, there is no driveway in front of my apartment, you will have to get out and walk 10 feet on that sidewalk right next to you to reach my door" confuse them, I feel like I'm going to lose my mind.

This particular guy was confused by "You're on the other side of the building from me. There are apartments on both sides. Pull into the big old parking lot directly behind you and walk on the sidewalk you see there. We are the first apartment on the ground floor, with big green cheapo plastic furniture on it and a short lamp post shining directly outside our window. You literally cannot miss us."

Best part was when he said, "I'm right next to the carports," which is about as useless as saying "I'm somewhere between Philadelphia and Los Angeles. Can you tell me how to get to Las Vegas from where I'm at?"

We've reached the point where GPS can no longer help us. We need to connect every place on Earth with string and put big flashing neon lights outside our windows.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 December 2017, 20:40:53 by Carcharocles »
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: People Who Can't Navigate
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 20:51:14 »
Who cares if dudes get to your party..

Gotta give bestest directions to the females. !!

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 20:57:12 »
Haha! It wasn't a party. It was the snacks for the party. The guy was a grocery delivery driver. The worst part is they were out of most of what I ordered: due to the delivery fee, I basically spent 10 dollars on two cans of Pringles.

Most deadly of them all.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 21:28:18 »
Haha! It wasn't a party. It was the snacks for the party. The guy was a grocery delivery driver. The worst part is they were out of most of what I ordered: due to the delivery fee, I basically spent 10 dollars on two cans of Pringles.

Delivery guy couldn't find ur party ? 

That's odd..

Must be new

I read somewhere delivery / taxi / transport drivers eventually develop higher functioning brain areas for navigation.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 22:12:54 »
I love watching Uber drivers not follow the directions on their uber app thats right in front of their face.  :rolleyes:
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 23:41:23 »
isn't there a share location thingie now ?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 04:43:45 »
I love watching Uber drivers not follow the directions on their uber app thats right in front of their face.  :rolleyes:

Multiple times ive watched uber drivers end up at dead ends because they followed the directions on the uber app. Mind you I live in Australia so every thing is upside down so maybe they need to flip their phones around the wrong way.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 08:23:26 »
I was in outside sales for years before GPS existed and I can tell you that many people are also abominable at giving directions.

One thing that helped me was when I heard, after years in the business, that women generally navigate by landmarks and that men generally navigate by directions, I was able to shift gears sometimes and try to use their perspectives.

For me, the best thing was when Google Maps/Google Earth came along. I am a very visual person, and if I can see a picture of where I am going, I can navigate to it easily.

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 19:41:58 »
I was in outside sales for years before GPS existed and I can tell you that many people are also abominable at giving directions.

One thing that helped me was when I heard, after years in the business, that women generally navigate by landmarks and that men generally navigate by directions, I was able to shift gears sometimes and try to use their perspectives.

For me, the best thing was when Google Maps/Google Earth came along. I am a very visual person, and if I can see a picture of where I am going, I can navigate to it easily.

My wife gets confused at the top of our street. I dont know if she cant visualize the trip in her head and determine which way to go... or if she legitimately does not know where she is.
But for gods sake, she can tell you who won best supporting actress in like 1994.

I dont understand how her brain works.
-Dana

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 19:58:27 »

My wife gets confused at the top of our street. I dont know if she cant visualize the trip in her head and determine which way to go

That is kind of what the study showed. Men want directions like:

2 miles east on Hwy 120, left (north) on Hwy 92, 5 miles, then right on Reese Road

Women need directions like:

away from town to the bowling alley, turn left, pass the brick church, then take the 2nd right just before the Exxon station 
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 20:02:15 »

My wife gets confused at the top of our street. I dont know if she cant visualize the trip in her head and determine which way to go

2 miles east on Hwy 120, left (north) on Hwy 92, 5 miles, then right on Reese Road

away from town to the bowling alley, turn left, pass the brick church, then take the 2nd right just before the Exxon station 

It's pretty clear what the problem is..

Legos  vs   Barbie..

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 20:36:13 »
I have to say, I do like the direction this thread is going!

Most deadly of them all.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 00:09:10 »

I see what you did there.

I can navigate, but have an enormous propensity to overestimate distances, and almost every time I go somewhere new I end up having to double back.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 00:41:04 »

Yeah i know what you're saying but this is way beyond that. If she remembers how to get to the store by going right at the oak tree and then left when the road gets wider thats fine... It's a total reliance on a GPS to get her places that are neither complex or new and it is astonishing to witness. If I didn't know better i'd think its some kind of metal disability... but then i see so many others with the same problem.
-Dana

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:10:48 »

I can navigate, but have an enormous propensity to overestimate distances, and almost every time I go somewhere new I end up having to double back.

YOUR CAR HAS AN ODO FOR A REASON. IT TELLS YOU HOW MANY KMS YOU GO. ODO IS YOUR FRIEND. ROWDY GUESTIMATION IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:17:44 »

YOUR CAR HAS AN ODO FOR A REASON. IT TELLS YOU HOW MANY KMS YOU GO. ODO IS YOUR FRIEND. ROWDY GUESTIMATION IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

Tp4 only haz GPS..

If the GPS can't find it.. this place is not worth visiting.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 20:04:51 »

Then I'd have to measure the distance, convert for scale, and keep watching the odo while driving.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 20:13:07 »

Then I'd have to measure the distance, convert for scale, and keep watching the odo while driving.

Google gives you a list of distances to each turn. Then again i do this for long distances. Not baby Melboure trips