Author Topic: huge hardware flaw in intel processors ... OOOPS  (Read 6799 times)

Offline atarione

huge hardware flaw in intel processors ... OOOPS
« on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 18:56:00 »
remember all the times you told your friend with a ryzen 5 pffft...    well get your hat ready for eating perhaps...  as apparently doesn't affect AMD CPUs

blah blah blah hardware bug in the processors ... probably only fixable via software patches ..resulting in some significant performance hits with Intel based rigs..

https://it.slashdot.org/story/18/01/02/221254/kernel-memory-leaking-intel-processor-design-flaw-forces-linux-windows-redesign

initial benchmarks showing some impacts..

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: huge hardware flaw in intel processors ... OOOPS
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 19:09:53 »
ZOMG... n0000 ,.... now they know tp4 watches 4 hrs of cat videos every day @ wurk...

Offline atarione

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 20:04:41 »
ZOMG... n0000 ,.... now they know tp4 watches 4 hrs of cat videos every day @ wurk...

I'm pretty sure they make the new guys at the NSA just monitor your activities all day long... it is a form of hazing I guess.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 22:35:27 »
Edit: ARM was found to be susceptible to Spectre. It has not (yet) been found to be susceptible to Meltdown.

It looks like someone found the same flaw in ARM v8 too ... That's 64-bit ARM.
It is unknown whether Apple's i-devices have it, because they supposedly design their own cores.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 January 2018, 02:38:42 by Findecanor »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 23:08:13 »
RIP drive speeds. At least video encoding and gaming seems unaffected.

Edit: looks like Findecanor edited out their summary. THE NSA GOT 'IM EARLY BOYS!
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 January 2018, 23:09:57 by Coreda »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 23:55:12 »
Nah. My writeup was too speculative.

Edit: Pun not intended.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 January 2018, 01:58:08 by Findecanor »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 06:16:35 »
Afaik they patched it for AMD also even if it didn´t affect them, so slower speeds for both CPUs I guess
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Murdari0

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:04:09 »
Hasn't it been common knowledge for a long time that amt is dodgy? Not to get too deep into tinfoil territory, but the whole thing reeks of shady business practices.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:41:48 »

YOU WOULDN'T BE HAVING THOSE HARDWARE PROBLEMS IF YOU JUST STUCK WITH THE PENTIUM PROCESSORS FROM 1995. THEY WERE JUST FINE!

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 January 2018, 10:16:46 by HoffmanMyster »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 09:10:49 »
Of course the Pentiums of the '90s would have been fine, if it weren't for the What Intel Giveth, Microsoft Taketh Away.
Although... these days we have CPU's faster than Pentiums in tiny form factors and fanless and that is not so bad.

Anyway... x86 is a horrid architecture. I'd prefer ARM7TDMI, MIPS R10000, Alpha EV5, UltraSPARC or even Motorola 68060 instead.

Offline JP

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 09:15:19 »
Slower performance for software that makes heavy use of syscalls.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 09:41:33 »
Now how about we patch the IME while we're at it?? Much bigger security flaw.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 11:36:47 »
Intel did admit that there were vulnerabilities in ME. Late November last year, BIOS makers issued updates with ME fixes and Intel released a tool for checking if the system is patched:
https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

Offline atarione

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 11:54:51 »
I wouldn't claim to totally understand what is going on...

but so far it sounds like truly fixing the issue on intel part is basically going to take a redesign of their processors.... soooooo... yeah....  :(

and annoyingly at least for linux so far they are rolling the patch out to all x86 systems including AMD systems despite AMD apparently not being vulnerable..

however becasue of Linux being Linux it is easy~ish to disable the fix for AMD based systems (or intel if you are outta your mind  :) )

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:21:42 »
Intel loves this.. because now everyone gets to buy new CPUs .. hahahahaha

Also, people are like, no they're going to sue intel..

Yea they will..  but who has the most lawyers..

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:43:54 »
****ing *******s. Including an impossible to disable remote management system. AKA a backdoor. What could go wrong.

All CPU are vulnerable? I mean there's no currently top notch CPU which isn't vulnerable? What should people buy, except AMD?

I'm looking for a way to return my unreturnable CPU.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:46:50 by Giorgio »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:11:19 »
Intel did admit that there were vulnerabilities in ME. Late November last year, BIOS makers issued updates with ME fixes and Intel released a tool for checking if the system is patched:
https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00086&languageid=en-fr

Just because they fixed a known vulnerability doesn't mean they are in the right. ME gives remote access above root and it is not possible to disable, this is fundamentally bad.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:31:24 »
****ing *******s. Including an impossible to disable remote management system. AKA a backdoor. What could go wrong.

All CPU are vulnerable? I mean there's no currently top notch CPU which isn't vulnerable? What should people buy, except AMD?

I'm looking for a way to return my unreturnable CPU.

YOU NEED TO GET A 486 AND RUN WINDOWS 95. THEN YOU'LL BE IN GOOD SHAPE.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 January 2018, 10:17:22 by HoffmanMyster »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 01:57:38 »
So, there's an official web page about the vulnerabilities: Spectreattack.com.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 02:24:45 »
Topre keyboards are affected: they all became rubberdomes.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 03:39:14 »

Thorpe keyboards ARE rubber dome.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 04:21:29 »

Thorpe keyboards ARE rubber dome.
But they are mechanical too.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 16:39:38 »
Seems like updates for CentOS have arrived.  Most of our servers (at work) are running CentOS, apart from a few Oracle Linux and one old Ubuntu server.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 09:44:07 »
^^^^ DONT DO IT, ITS A TRAP. SPOILER ALERT THERE IS NO ACTUAL SECURITY ISSUE AND THE CIA HAS FORCED MICROSOFT/INTEL TO RELEASE A PATCH THAT ACTUALLY CREATES A  BACKDOOR BECAUSE THE CIA WANTS TO USE YOUR IDLE PC FOR MINING CRYPTO AS THEY HAVE FINALLY DECIDED THAT IT WILL MAKE THEM MORE MONEY THAN SELLING DRUGS.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 09:58:57 »
^^^^ DONT DO IT, ITS A TRAP. SPOILER ALERT THERE IS NO ACTUAL SECURITY ISSUE AND THE CIA HAS FORCED MICROSOFT/INTEL TO RELEASE A PATCH THAT ACTUALLY CREATES A  BACKDOOR BECAUSE THE CIA WANTS TO USE YOUR IDLE PC FOR MINING CRYPTO AS THEY HAVE FINALLY DECIDED THAT IT WILL MAKE THEM MORE MONEY THAN SELLING DRUGS.
this kind of already exists...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 10:05:18 »

hahahahah..

the most profitable thing on this planet is  heart-disease...

No need.. !!

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 10:11:21 »

hahahahah..

No need.. !!

YOU DONT MAKE FRIENDS WITH SALAD

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 10:20:23 »

hahahahah..

No need.. !!

YOU DONT MAKE FRIENDS WITH SALAD

This is unfortunately correct..

It's exactly like if you didn't smoke in the 60s..

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 12:23:39 »
This flaw is what the semiconductor industry grunts like to call, "job security".

Offline JP

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 12:34:37 »
Speaking of vulnerabilities...This is old news but maybe we will see this technology rehashed in future silicon. In the future some script kiddie will take over my washer, dryer, toaster and couch. This technology will only become more pervasive. Imagine a future where these microchips will be very miniaturized, integrated with a full stack of capabilities, low power, wirelessly powered and absolutely everywhere, including everyday folks donning technologies similar to Google Glass, miniature robots inspired by insects and even nanobots.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/09/intel-researchers-put-wifi-inside-the-processor-that-is/

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 14:17:24 »
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 00:21:30 »
Whoa. I didn't know Joy of Tech was still around ... I have not read it for ages. Still mostly sucks though.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 January 2018, 00:42:56 by Findecanor »

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 18:33:53 »
Just installed the Meltdown patch. I'll still be vulnerable to Spectre though because Intel will never release a BIOS update for my mobo (S1200BTL)...
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 23:08:29 »
Show Image

Not sure if it's in the silicon, but the ME has a network stack in it.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 01:24:13 »
I wonder if Original Xbox  is affected !!

Yes burn it now

Offline JP

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 11:49:13 »
Coincidentally, I found this, originally from a reddit thread:
As someone who worked in an Intel Validation group for SOCs until mid-2014 or so I can tell you, yes, you will see more CPU bugs from Intel than you have in the past from the post-FDIV-bug era until recently.

Why?

Let me set the scene: It’s late in 2013. Intel is frantic about losing the mobile CPU wars to ARM. Meetings with all the validation groups. Head honcho in charge of Validation says something to the effect of: “We need to move faster. Validation at Intel is taking much longer than it does for our competition. We need to do whatever we can to reduce those times… we can’t live forever in the shadow of the early 90’s FDIV bug, we need to move on. Our competition is moving much faster than we are” - I’m paraphrasing. Many of the engineers in the room could remember the FDIV bug and the ensuing problems caused for Intel 20 years prior. Many of us were aghast that someone highly placed would suggest we needed to cut corners in validation - that wasn’t explicitly said, of course, but that was the implicit message. That meeting there in late 2013 signalled a sea change at Intel to many of us who were there. And it didn’t seem like it was going to be a good kind of sea change. Some of us chose to get out while the getting was good. As someone who worked in an Intel Validation group for SOCs until mid-2014 or so I can tell you, yes, you will see more CPU bugs from Intel than you have in the past from the post-FDIV-bug era until recently.

Offline atarione

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 13:35:20 »
Just installed the Meltdown patch. I'll still be vulnerable to Spectre though because Intel will never release a BIOS update for my mobo (S1200BTL)...

right.... I'm thinking many people with a gen or two back processors are never going to get bios updates and will thus be vulnerable to Spectre until they replace their hardware..

I have been using a i7-4770K w/ a gigabyte Z87 motherboard that is 4+ years old at this point.. I'm quite dubious that if a bios update is actually needed this board will ever see it..     Some people claim that the fix may be a microcode patch that could be applied via the OS...   but ???? I'm not sure wtf is actually going on with this at this point.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 14:52:23 »
The article says, they have to come to your house.. and line in to ur pc for the exploit..

But of course eventually they'll figure out how to do all this remotely.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 01:47:51 »

right.... I'm thinking many people with a gen or two back processors are never going to get bios updates and will thus be vulnerable to Spectre until they replace their hardware..

I have been using a i7-4770K w/ a gigabyte Z87 motherboard that is 4+ years old at this point.. I'm quite dubious that if a bios update is actually needed this board will ever see it..     Some people claim that the fix may be a microcode patch that could be applied via the OS...   but ???? I'm not sure wtf is actually going on with this at this point.

3770K here z68 i guess if it aint broke dont fix but now its broke lol

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 01:57:06 »

Dis' -fanpeople's- official recommended HD-capable pr0nputer specifications ?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 04:16:05 »

I bet with 1070 i could turn that into VRpron

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 11:38:32 »

I bet with 1070 i could turn that into VRpron

The current crop of VR net-streaming videos, pr0n or otherwise, are not very high bitrate..

Even a 1050 (non-ti) could run them.

In the future, VR really needs 8k resolution and higher, because right now the image is too blockly still.

That will require at least a 1070..